18 W. Main St
Somerville, NJ 08878Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.valdebenitosbistro.com/
- Phone: 9082319244
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Italian
- Executive Chef: Lucia Valdebenito
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our ample Dinning Rooms are the perfect space for special events, including wedding rehearsal dinners, private parties, business meetings and other important gatherings - from 15 to 100.
- Private Party Contact: Andres 9086981406
- Entertainment: Come Join Us for Live Music, Acoustic Guitar or Tango Dancing on Fridays & Saturdays Night.
A word from Valdebenito's
Experience authentic Argentinean Cuisine at Valdebenito"s. All meats, fish, & shellfish are prepared meticulously with the Buenos Aires "Gusto" taste that characterizes Buenos Aires, Argentina. Valdebenito's specialties include empanadas, homemade chorizo, chimichurri sauce, homemade pastas, and grilled meats that Argentina is famous for. Valdebenito's main dining room, luxurious private dining rooms or outdoor dinning are available for all private party events or business meetings. Come and enjoy the ultimate fine dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Valdebenito's reviews from OpenTable diners
- The service was slow. ThisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2012The service was slow. This was a work group holiday dinner. I worked with the manager on the menu choices a few weeks prior to the event. At that time, I thought everything was set for our holiday dinner until that evening when the waiter handed us the full menu instead of the customed menu designed for our group. He had to tell them out back that I had talked to the manager prior about our menu choices! I had included coffee and dessert on our menu but the waiter said it was not included! I don't think I will have another event at Valdebenito's!
- The waiters were nice. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/27/2012The waiters were nice. The BBQ was cold and dry and we requested medium well. No worthy $50 x 2Special Features:
- Great food...and a great combinatioOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2012Great food...and a great combination of food - Italian & Argentinian....paella was delishm, empanadas are a must. Pricing is not inexpensive, but it's a BYOB....all and all a great meal. Only complaint is that the website had a children's menu -but when we got there they told us there was no children's menu (which was some what awkward since we did have kids with us) - they offered half plates and chicken fingers to us.Special Features:
- Service was slow. ChurascoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Service was slow. Churasco steal was tough and chewy. Two other tables sent back there meal for the same reason. Chorizo sampler was two sausages of the same kind cut in half. Food presentation was amateur and the churasco entree was accompanied by sides that did not compliment the meal, they seemed haphazardly put on the plate.
- Your website showed them asica724Dined on 11/15/2012Your website showed them as open for lunch. This is not so. We drove all the way out there to find out from a porter that they were only open for dinners. Not happy about this disinformation. Since I did not actually eat there, I cannot rate it; however, this site won't accept my review unless I complete something.
- We have always enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012We have always enjoyed the food here, but the service leaves something to be desired.Special Features:
- We had a family gathering.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012We had a family gathering. Party of 6. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Service was great. I recommend it.
- Very smartly sent out an emailOenophileVIPDined on 11/3/2012Very smartly sent out an email notifying everyone they had power back and were open again after cleaning up from Hurricane Sandy. Only a few items were not available and the staff let you know up front. Food didn't miss a beat, from calamari to chorizo to chicken francaise and strip steak. A welcome respite from storm related dining and work. Well done!Special Features:
- This was our third visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2012This was our third visit. My wife and I invited our friends and all enjoyed ourselves greatly. We were one the first to be seated and one of the last to leave, and no one rushed us. The food was great and the service was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2012As usual the food was fantastic and we had a wonderful time. My only complaint was with the service. In times past , the service was wonderful. This time it was not. We sat for over 45 min. Before a waitress came to take our order, and it took an hour for our appetizers to come and the waitress came to tell us it would be out soon, just before it came out.! This happened again with our main course.Special Features:
- The appetizers are very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2012The appetizers are very good. The entrees are fair. Do not order the salmon though, it did not taste fresh and was covered with sauce which was necessary since it had no flavor. Service was fair. They claim to have an extensive dessert menu, which was not all available, and the desserts we chose were just fair.
- friendly staff and nice decor.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012friendly staff and nice decor. food was above average and overpricedSpecial Features:
- Food was excellent. The onlyCaddycatDined on 9/14/2012Food was excellent. The only reason I gave 4 stars for food was because they ran out of their most requested favorite: Club steak, so I switched to the skirt steak, and it WAS Excellent! Couldn't have made a better choice! Service was very good. We were checked on regularly, but not given the 'rush-out-of here' treatment. It was a very pleasant night and I think I would like to eat outside next time we come. This is really a great fin d fit for foodies, in a great local neighborhood with lots of local color. Glad to have been here. We highly recommend their grilled calamari with chorizo and mild chili peppers--Drizzled with a fragrant balsamic vinegar-- to die for! -and not overdone! Mmmm...Special Features:
- VaLdebenieto's never disappoints.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2012VaLdebenieto's never disappoints. Food is flavorful and well-prepared.Special Features:
- I was so sorry to hear thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2012I was so sorry to hear this restaurant went out of business. It was truly one of the best in town.
- Good, But Not Yet GreatjuleezeeDined on 9/1/2012This was our second visit to Valdebenito's in a couple of years. The first time we met a group for dinner, got a nice corner table and enjoyed the company so much that we paid less attention to the food. This time it was a dinner for two and we took our time studying the menu, choosing and consuming our dishes. The Italian and Argentinian menus are fun. There is very little if you don't eat meat, fowl or fish. Service was very attentive. The food is okay, our waiter and the kitchen customized a gnocchi dish for me - major points! Alas, the restaurant is taking too many shortcuts: canned sliced olives, foil butter packs, pasty bread, etc. Not getting them to that next step.Special Features:
- Regrettably, this was notMillieGDined on 9/1/2012Regrettably, this was not a typical night for Valdebenito's. Since they were going on a week's vacation the following day, they did not have a number of the food items that they usually have. They are always accomodating however, willing to make anything you like, as long as they have the ingredients.Special Features:
- The Demi-Glace on the Skirtica724Dined on 8/23/2012The Demi-Glace on the Skirt Steak was absolutely delicious. The bread was crusty and the dipping sauce very good. The portions on the Prix Fixe menu were more than generous. Service was friendly if a bit uninformed. I think the waiter might have been in training but he was so accommodating and friendly.Special Features:
- I think it needs more attention,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2012I think it needs more attention, we got there nobody was at the door, made reservation, nobody did ask for it, should let costumer on web site about no licour license, that way you can bring your own.Special Features:
- My wife and I enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012My wife and I enjoyed the entire dining experience. The atmosphere was very relaxing and dining was not hurried or rushed. The waiter was knowledgeable of the menu and the daily specials. He made several useful recommendations and was very pleasant the entire evening. The food and service I would rate as excellent. I would definitely return to this restaurant and recommend it to other people.Special Features:
- Very good selection, evenica724Dined on 8/15/2012Very good selection, even on the Prix-Fixe menu. Food was very tasty and the server friendly. I would return.Special Features:
- We live in Morristown andHelenDDined on 8/11/2012We live in Morristown and often meet our friends from Princeton for dinner, and Somerville is the perfect in between spot. We sat at a round table in the corner and enjoyed the efficient service, the clever wall decor and the yummy food. The steaks are great as is the paella. Our server, Nick was extremely pleasant and quite attentive. We can't wait to meet our friends again next month at Valdebenito's.Special Features:
- Some food was served differentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/4/2012Some food was served differently from the menu description. While the food was tasty, it is a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/24/2012The food was delicious. The service was slow, even though the place was almost empty. I understand that certain entrees take time because they are made fresh, but even the salad took forever to arrive. Perhaps the waiter should edcuate the patrons that the dishes are fresh and the approximate time so they understand why it takes so long when the place is empty. The waiter was very nice and attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2012The food was disappointing. My wife had a paella in which the shrimp especially were overcooked. The chicken was dry. The chorizo appetizer we had was overcooked to a dry, hard ball consistency, as was chorizo in my meal, a platter of steak, chicken, blood sausage and tripe. The thin slice of steak was cooked to my preference, and the tripe was quite tasty, but the chicken was dry. They seem to rely heavily on a microwave for preparation, especially of chorizo and chicken. A side dish of mushrooms was generous and freshly prepared, as was the tossed salad. Dessert was excellent - a tartufo. The waiter was embarassed by our complaints, but accepted them in good spirit and passed them on to the chef.
- Tuesday at Valdebenito'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2012Took a business associate here for dinner our waitress was very attentive and we were not rushed at all but the meal was nicely paced. This is a BYOB and I brought a bottle of Pino which was promptly placed in an ice bucket, wrapped in a napkin. The ambiance was a very nice although I did feel the tables were a little close together and if it had been more crowed it could have been a bit loud. I had the lamp chops which could have been a little hotter but was prepared nicely with a side sauce that was very good. All in all it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Good food, good place to go!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/9/2012This is my second time at Valdebenito's and it didn't disappoint! I wanted to order the branzino dish but they were out of it, so I half-heartedly ordered the chicken ka-bobs and I'm so glad I did! The presentation is lovely and it tastes absolutely delicious. Our waiter was friendly, accommodating and hard working. The waiter made us his own "concoction" of olive oil and spices for dipping and it was fabulous! The price of our meal was very reasonable. I would eat there again in a heartbeat and I will indeed!Special Features:
- Not a good restaurant choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012The a/c was broken, and it was a very humid night out. We had a graduation party seated behind us, and they had a big box fan to help them We requested one top & were told that they brought it with them. Which indicates they got a call informing them. I would have liked a call top. When we were first seated ( party of 4) we were put on the side of the restaurant by the kitchen do it was much hotter there after many request our table was moved to other side of rest. Also ordered veal Parmesan off the menu and was given something very different. When we flagged waitress she took plate only to return saying "they don't make veal Parmesan". It's am Italian rest. And it WAS clearly on menu. We weren't given much attention by waitress either.
- We decided to give this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2012We decided to give this place a try after reviewing some good online reviews but I'm sorry to relay that we were disappointed in our dinner. Besides the churizo appetizer,both meat entrees were not good. My meat platter was not tasty and my date's breaded chicken was not good at all either, we both barely finished half our plate. Also,it was very hot inside and when advised our waiter of this he listened but nothing was done about it. I really was sweating which is not a good thing especially when trying to impress a woman on a first date. It felt like I was outside on patrol by the jungles again during my time back in "Nam"!Special Features:
- Good food & service, enjoyablejasonDined on 5/18/2012Good food & service, enjoyable night out, will be back!
- Perfect place for meat lovers,GourmetDined on 5/15/2012Perfect place for meat lovers, specially if you want to treat yourself to a parrilla argentinaSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day dinner -- classicOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/13/2012Mother's Day dinner -- classic Argentinian parrillada was OK. They had the right selection of meats but not cut Argentinian-style. They could not do any better than I can. No chimichurri was offered either. For an Argentinian restaurant, this place leaves a lot to be desired. Service, on the other hand, was poor. We waited at the entrance for five minutes and still no one showed up. I had to ask the food runner to seat us. We had to remind waiter several times to refresh our drinks, they brought opened pats of butter, bread was warm but soggy (as in old), waiter forgot to bring salad, waiter did not check in on us often enough. The dining area was warm and dark. I would not recommend this place.
- Food was good to very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Food was good to very good. Appetizers were better than my meal. Empanadas good, mussels hood, sausage appetizer ok a little bland. It was extremely warm in the dining room, infect it was much cooler outside ( and it was warm outside). This made for N uncomfortable dining experience.Special Features:
- Every time we go to ValdebenitosOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2012Every time we go to Valdebenitos we are happily surprised. The food is always delicious and the service is fantastic. The presentation is fabulous too. I would high recommend this restaurant to friends and relatives. Will go back again. We've never been disappointed!!Special Features:
- Friendly service, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2012Friendly service, great food, interesting presentation of mixed meat.Special Features:
- This was our first time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2012This was our first time dining at this Restaurant. We are early diners and happen to be the first for the evening. The server was very courteous and professional. Since it was early, he even offered to go out to get us a bottle of wine, however that was not necessary. Since we are light eaters it was suggested that we divide a salad. This was done and served in an exceptional manner. The main course was done to perfection not only in quality but also presentation. The only negative was the cool coffee.Special Features:
- This has become my friend'sMillieGDined on 4/21/2012This has become my friend's and my favorite restaurant. While we both miss the loss of the chef who made the homemade pasta, we still love it for their other dishes. The restaurant is intimate and comfortable and the servers are friendly and responsive. The food presentation is excellent and the option of having an Argentinian as well as Italian cuisine is a plus. Well worth the few extra dollars !Special Features:
- This was our second time goingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2012This was our second time going to valdebenito's. The Lobster Ravioli and the Paeradilla Mixta (i've misspelled this, i'm sure) were excellent. Truly a great family run restaurant. Also my wife & I were in a rush to get to a movie, the staff was quite attentive to our needs and provided us a great experience in a limited time!Special Features:
- Valdebenito food is excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/24/2012Valdebenito food is excellent, well presented. Ample choices between Argentinean & Italian cuisine - sufficient for non-vegetarian & vegetarian customers. Service was prompt, attentive and friendly. I loved the decor, ambiance. Maybe live Argentinean music - something native - on the weekends, would make it even more attractive. People like to immerse temporarily, into the culture of the place when they visit. Overall, a thumbs up! I will be revisiting with more friends.Special Features:
- Average food.....over pricedGrouponDinnerVIPDined on 3/22/2012Average food.....over priced for quality of food. Snapper filet was equivalient of diner fish dish. Breading was slimy! Ribeye was generous size but lower quality cut. Vodka sauce was very good! Would not return!