421 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.valbellanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 645-7777
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Sebastiano Zagaria
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Valbella
The trendiest Manhattan restaurant in the Meatpacking District with contemporary Northern Italian cuisine made from the finest ingredients. The attentive and knowledgeable staff always provides impeccable service, allowing you to just sit back and enjoy your dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Valbella reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)notable wine list (53)fit for foodies (52)good for groups (49)romantic (48)hot spot (36)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Out of Town GuestJDMM0629Dined on 11/18/2014A place to bring customers from out of town and experience New York City eatery. My customers just rave about the food and service.... The wine cellar collection is amazing and moderately priced. The owner is at the door to greet his guests, on the floor to insure prompt service and of course over seeing the kitchen. One of New Yorks Finest Restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/18/2014I am in the hospitality business and entertain clients several times a week. I found this restaurant on line and decided to give it a try! I am so glad I did. The decor , food and service were truly A+ and I looked like a hero. Look forward to returning very soon and again when the winter wonderland is replaced with flowers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteveBDined on 11/15/2014Very beautiful/chic and upscale ambiance in the hip meat market district which makes it fun for young hipsters in particular; food was good but very over priced; service was poor given the price of the menu (had to ask for butter twice...and never got my decaf cappacino); noisy environment...but that's part of the scene. Great for having a fun dinner in a cool atmosphere...if you're not looking for value.Special Features:
- Very Very Good!!!XlmooseDined on 11/6/2014We went on a Thursday night on a friends recommendation and we were glad we went. Everything was A+ and food was on point. Seems to slow down around 11pm but we didn't care as we were well into our dinner. If you haven't tried this place-you should!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014Excellent food selection. The salad and mozzarella cheese appetizer was outstanding. The fish appetizer was just OK; a bit overpriced. The main courses were excellent; gnocchi special was superb. The napoleon desert was the best I have ever had. The wine list was very notable and very, very, very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and then Not so GoodMianyDined on 11/1/2014This is a beautiful restaurant without being stuffy. It will make whoever you take there or whatever celebration, feel special. The food is good but not very special except for the Napolean dessert which is not only delicious, but impressive! The night we were there the service was not so good -- the waiters tried but the food didn't come out of the kitchen and we waited about 30 minutes after our appetizer course for the main meal. It was also very warm and the fact that we sat by the kitchen didn't help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillTravel4foodDined on 10/31/2014Incredible Italian restaurant located just steps from our hotel, The Standard High Line. Service couldn't have been any better, my branzino was cooked to perfection! Desserts were ridiculous, Napolean best I've ever had. This is truly a gem in the heart of the Meatpacking district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bonesVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have been here many times and it is always a great experience. We always make sure to get there during truffle season. Pasta is amazing. Have to share because it is so rich! It is always busy and has a great buzz; however this time it was so noisy I couldn't hear what my table mates were saying. I loved the food, but felt like I needed cotton in my ears. Itt will not keep me from returning though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit and Will ReturnLisaVIPDined on 10/23/2014Valbella did not disappoint. It was our first time dining in this restaurant so based on various reviews we were curious to try it out. The food was totally amazing; not one of the four of us was disappointed in our dish. We finished with the Napolean for dessert and it was out of this world. If you are headed to NY and want a true dining experience, you should try Valbella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected treatthankgodimnotcookingagainDined on 10/18/2014Service excellent,our waiter that perfect blend of helpful and attentive but not overwhelming,well versed in the wine list (which is extensive- everything from $80 bottles to $5000 ones) Food was very good, not blow your mind, just delicious and generous. Endive/ blue cheese salad was fresh with perfect dressing, followed with creamy truffle pasta, could of had table side truffle shaving to be more upscale and immerse oneself in the unusual treat, but it was delicious none the less. Main course branzino filet was well sized and perfectly cooked. Husband shared GIGANTIC porterhouse with his friend and it looked magnificent. Dessert was a rich creamy tiramisu and fresh berries accompanied by 6 wait staff singing happy birthday-very festive.Special Features:
- Awesome staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014I was at Valbella on Saturday night with 7 women and we had the best meal and drinks. What made the night was their great staff. The team of Sonny and Benny was awesome. They were attentive and entertaining at the same time. I highly recommend you request these two servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meatpacking in traditionHolaVIPDined on 10/18/2014Valbella remains an institution in the meatpacking, trendy, expensive, loud and good quality. My advice, go there as a group, not a romantic night. Service was rather good and dishes arrived between 5 and 10 minutes of ordering, impressive when you think about the amount of guests. I recommend the crab cakes, they were spectacular.Special Features:
- Great italian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014A large, bustling, happening place in the meat packing district. Lovely interior. Hefty tabs, service that wasn't up to the bill, but outstanding, memorable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kajpf1954Dined on 10/18/2014Loved the energy, food and service. Looking forward to a return visit soon!Special Features:
- OkayGinger186Dined on 10/18/2014My friend and I met for an early dining adventure. This high-end restaurant in a trendy neighborhood was welcoming and classy and best of all not too noisy. Unfortunately at almost $130 for each of us the food was just okay; not outstanding. Like so many restaurants I found my fish dish salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedthefriendlydinerDined on 10/14/2014Nice looking restaurant. Some food items were average, some very good. Our waiter was the worst waiter I have had in a nice restaurant. It seemed like this place is on its way out.Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialcgiganDined on 10/11/2014I anticipated way more from the food than what I received. My appetizer was just OK (fried zucchini flowers) and my dinner special was good, but nothing spectacular (bronzino with a simple sliced tomato salad on the side which I could have made at home). In addition, it was extremely pricey (appetizer was $36; main course was $50). My husband had the jumbo shrimp appetizer which came smelling very fishy. Our guest who ordered the same thing could not even eat it and sent it back. Overall, our bill came out to $440 for appetizers and dinner (no desserts or coffee) and one bottle of wine ($60). I will not return here.
- friendly accomodatung staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Went above and beyond to make the evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale ItalianFaceamVIPDined on 10/9/2014Nicely decorated restaurant with an abundant menu of interesting dishes. All food tasted fabulous with big portions good for sharing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Treat!JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJDined on 10/9/2014The linguini in cream and truffle sauce (with fresh truffles shaved on top by waitor) - pricey...but fantastic. The napoleon pastry and cream desert always wonderful. A must desert when at Valbella. I apprecitae the way that they make any dish the way you want it. Enjoy it, I certainly did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cowboyVIPDined on 10/9/2014I love this restaurant & have been eating here for years. Last night was not up to expectations. Service was poor & the food was just mediocre. I had a Tbone steak that was prepared terribly just no taste at all @$60. Very poor service which is very unusual for this restaurant One of those nights. I still recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great!ticketytwoVIPDined on 10/6/2014I love Valbella. I always take people from out of town here. Great food, classy spot, nice ambiance.,Special Features:
- VALBELLA TRUE FINDNotOKVIPDined on 10/3/2014Outstanding Cuisine, Service & Ambiance topped off with sitting at table right next to Derek Jeter & his girlfriend, how cool!Special Features:
- The best NYC has to offervilmarillionDined on 9/29/2014Every time I visit New York, I spend one evening at Valbella. For the latest visit, my mother and sister were visiting NYC for mom's birthday, so I made a reservation and flew in from the west coast for the day to take them to dinner here. From our arrival through post-dessert conversation, the entire experience was magnificent: the staff is charismatic and attentive without being overbearing, the ambiance is just right, the wine list is extraordinary, and the food is quite simply peerless. Additionally, the location -- midway between The Standard and Gansevoort hotels -- is a total catbird seat of happeningness to boot. Valbella cannot be oversold!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMad149Dined on 9/25/2014I have been many times and the service is the best in the city. Dave is an incredible host!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a great serviceAnnaDined on 9/24/2014I have been going there for the past two years i have never been been disappointed. Foods are great, the waiters are on point, the environment is great, their wine lists are the best, simply outstanding:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very vibrantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great special occasion restaurant. Or just for a chic night out. David is old world charm yet fits in perfectly in this very modern decor. Graet food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but expensive for just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/16/2014It was all ok. Nothing was really spectacular. All good but very pricey for an Italian American menu.Special Features:
- CPJ42515Dined on 9/13/2014THANKS FOR LETTING ME MAKE SOME DESSERT :) WE HAD A GREAT TIME .Special Features:
- A wonderful dining experienceVanDanVIPDined on 9/13/2014Fantastic restaurant - one of the most amazing dinners we've had with great wine recommendations. We had the seafood appetizer - with poached shrimp, a half of lobster and lump crab meat - this was to die for. Branzino was excellent, filet mignon with bone - also excellent. The halibut was very good - a little dry. Desserts - napoleon - huge portion - enough for 4 people - they tell you to split with 2 people but we split with 4 - it's a signature dish and wonderful. Service was great as well.Special Features:
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Food was good, but not for the cost....very expensive for the quality and portion servedSpecial Features:
- DisappointingGrapeyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Very pretty space but way too noisy! Waiter was less than solicitous, in fact was rushing us to order and seemed annoyed when we asked any questions about food. The restaurant was not crowded and no lines waiting to get in, so why the push and rush? Food was unremarkable. Buffalo mozzarella appetizer for two could have used some dressing. It was very bland. Halibut special was anything but. Very skimpy with the accompanying veggies and flavor was unremarkable. Wine menu never arrived after two requests and when our waiter was finally corralled, he just shrugged with annoyance and asked, "red or white" and suggested one possibility for each. Pretty expensive for bad service and mediocre food.
- Amazingcd824VIPDined on 9/6/2014We were in NYC to celebrate our anniversary and LOVED everything about our experience from our waiter Sonny to the outrageously good dessert he picked for us! Will definitely be back and recommend to anyone who is going to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiesnycNyfoodies4lifeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Another great meal at Valbella. The owner David was very gracious, as was the staff as usual. Amazing ambiance for date night, but also fun for a group of friends. The seafood specials never disappoint. Be sure to have the homemade Napoleon for desert! We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Good Food - Service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014Delicious Italian food. The menu is varied and it is quickly apparent that the food is fresh and well prepared. While not inexpensive, the portions are substantial. The place can get noisy when it fills up but tolerable. Our issue came with the service. There are loads of servers running around and food arrives promptly. However, to get someone's attention for more bread, water, etc is no easy task. Hard to figure. Also we found it odd that no one comes over to check if you need anything, ask how you meal is, etc. There are so many servers running around that this is hard to figure and the place was not full the evening we were there. We will gladly return - maybe just an off night - but should be better at these costs.Special Features:
- Amazing Gem/Meat Packing DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014What a great dinner experience. The food was outstanding and the service was better than the food.Special Features:
- Lovely mealLDNYCVIPDined on 8/28/2014I was recently treated to a meal at Valbella downtown and had a very lovely experience. David, the owner, took the utmost care of us which contributed to our overall experience. The waitstaff was congenial and attentive, and the food was excellent. We had a seafood pasta with lobster, a cod special, and a salmon special. Though the seafood was simply garnished with some roasted vegetables, the execution was superb. The chocolate souffle we had was also expertly executed. The care taken to ensure we had the perfect meal was above and beyond our expectations. Thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!joysDined on 8/27/2014I recently celebrated my birthday at Val Bella with my family and we had a wonderful meal. Service was spot- on and the food was beautifully presented and delicious. The staff is so warm and accommodating and I look forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectLilyDined on 8/22/2014Everything about this restaurant was lovely except that my entree was so salty I could not eat it. I ordered the chicken with spinach and mushrooms. My husband loved his meal, but I was disappointed in mine.Special Features:
- Great foodKortex4VIPDined on 8/15/2014Really great food. Very friendly staff. Linguine fruitie de mare was incredible! Lump crab meat, lobster tail and jumbo shrimp was so good. Thin linguine al dente. Still thinking about the food 2 days later.Special Features: