1309 East Putnam Avenue
Riverside, CT 06878Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://valbellact.com/
- Phone: (203) 637-1155
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Halili
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for our catering menu.
A word from Valbella Connecticut
Valbella, which since 1992 has been a celebratory place and a regular haunt for the locals who pack it most nights of the week both for its sumptuous food and its astonishing wine cellar, containing 1,450 selections and 16,000 bottles. Downstairs in the wine cellar is where many people hold private parties of various sizes,and what a splendidly beautiful room it is, done in polished wood, with a lovely fireplace, the tables impeccably set, the stemware thin, the temperature geared to the maintenance of the wine. Also an outstanding feature of the wine cellar is a heated granite table that can accommodate up to sixteen guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Valbella Connecticut - Best Restaurants in Riverside ›
Valbella Connecticut reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)notable wine list (27)romantic (25)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Always outstandingdiningtigerDined on 11/25/2014Valbella continues to amaze. We sat in the wine cellar, next to the fire place, and it made for a perfect evening. The service is spectacular, and the food is outstanding. My wife had the sea bass and I had the veal martini, and both were outstanding (although they could have gone a bit lighter on the sauce on the veal). Valbella continues to be one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid high end ItalianDRWKBPVIPDined on 11/18/2014An excellent restaurant overall and Italian food on par with Boston North End finest. Decent location, and it looks like this may have been a historic home that was retrofit as a restaurant. I had a chicken far Diavolo dish that was truly succulent with exceptional flavor - there is obviously a chef in the back who takes great pride in his/her creations and the ingredients were fresh and there was great care put into the prep. Service was attentive but not overly present which is a good thing. Highly recommend - a restaurant experience that was worth the premium $$$ they charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiesVIPDined on 11/8/2014Another lovely experience at Valbella. The food and service is always excellent. Merci!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a DissappointmentTheKozDined on 11/8/2014Over the years, I have enjoyed many Lunches and Diners at this beautiful restaurant. An attentive but not over bearing staff make you feel comfortable, and well taken care of. The wine list is wonderful but pricey. However, with the right amount of time one can find the appropriate price point gems among the many choices. The main event of course is the food. The best ingredients, thoughtfully and expertly prepared from fresh Seafood to the Veal Chop Milanese to the Bone in Filet will WoW you. I might add that if you haven't tried it, the Vodka Sauce is among the best. Of course all good things come at a price. In this case, the best is well worth it. Oh, Did I say I love this place ?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Mediocre food with above average prices.... Not worth the trip
- WiltonFanVIPDined on 11/1/2014Wow! Beautiful! What a night! A great eveneing was had at Valbella. From the greeting by the parking lot attendants to the knowledgeable and friendly service, all contributed to a 5 Star evening. Take some time with the wine list, there are several hidden gems and great values to be found with a careful eye. The food kept getting better with each course when you didn't think the next course could be better. And then there was desert, the taste of the pre-ordered Napolean is still on the tip of my tongue. Come, enjoy, and yes bring your credit card, but the evening is worth every cent and every morsel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent... as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014We go to Valbella! whenever we have an occasion to celebrate, and we have NEVER been disappointed.Special Features:
- ValBella was Fantastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014what a great dinner. Everything from the white truffles to the veal were exceptional. The wine list is fit for a king and I pretended to be one for the night. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We were told to go there for our weekend in Greenwich and we were very happy with the food and the service, however I found the noise level off the charts. I know its busy but its noisy. Also I feel the prices are a bit much, $25 for an appetizer I think is a bit extreme. Its not a dig because we really enjoyed our meal and our waiter was terrific, but I think $60 for a piece a steak is over the top. The dessert was amazing as well! I would go back but not in a rush.Special Features:
- Too Expensive and Too NoisyDudley10VIPDined on 10/18/2014We had dinner here last Saturday night and the dinning room was extremely noisy to the point where the four of us could hardly carry on a conversation without shouting. While the food was good, the prices were way too high, and the service was slow and spotty. The tables are too close to each other for a quiet, gourmet, dinning experience.Special Features:
- Excellent !FoodsterVIPDined on 10/14/2014Wonderful from the moment you come in front door! Nino is a great friend. Everything is always perfect.Special Features:
- Good but overrated.....DissapointedDined on 10/13/2014Very good restaurant (usually a big fan), without question. Problem I have is when they don't try because they know they are good. When you charge $52 for a filet and cajun dusted lobster tail, please make it be a decent portion. Not about 6 oz. of filet and a lobster tail that was smaller than my hand. It was almost embarrassing. I also ordered filet medium and it came out well done. Probably because it was so small. It was a special lunch I was having there and quite frankly, the $200. bill ruined it for me. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but get it right and don't skimp Valbella. It was very unbecoming of you. I was embarrassed in front of my date on her birthday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodGreenwichItalianDined on 10/3/2014The ambiance was phenomenal. The food was delicious and as is always the case, the service was what made the experience even more memorable. I would highly recommend Valbella Connecticut.Special Features:
- Food loverDinealotVIPDined on 10/2/2014A true food lovers destination. An anniversary celebration with delicious food and service. Truffle pasta is a must each time we dine here. Nick and his staff are super attentive and professional. Pricey wine list so order by the glass. Never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtableclothsDined on 9/25/2014Always superb food and service AND tablecloths! Nice background music but you can always hear yourself and your guests - something you can't find in many restaurants anymore.Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurantajfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit and we had an overwhelmingly positive experience. The service was exceptional, everything from the valet parking to the wine service. The waiter recited a long list of specials (which may have been more helpful were it actually printed out for the diner) and was skilled at advising us what to choose. My party selected primarily seafood dishes (an octopus carpaccio special appetizer, lobster ravioli entrees, and a fruit de mer pasta dish) which were all spectacular. My husband had a bone-in filet mignon (still not sure how that cut works!) which he said was delicious and perfectly cooked. You MUST save room for the dessert souffle (Grand Marnier for us) which was the pinnacle of the meal. $$$$ but worth it!Special Features:
- 4 starsDollysgalDined on 9/18/2014I took my mom there on what would have been her and my dad's 60th anniversary, it was where they went for their anniversary, dad has been gone almost ten years. It was just mom and me and I wanted to do something special for her, she turned 80 in August and has had a lot of physical setbacks. We both split an appetizer and entree and she of course had her favorite chocolate soufflé. We had a shrimp appetizer on the menu and grey sole almondine that was a special that evening. The food was excellent and the service was superb. Although I am sure our bill was much lower than other people there yet we were treated like royalty. Going there made mom very happy and we will be back on September 18, 2015, looking forward to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No ambiance & way over pricedJNudoDined on 9/12/2014This is not a restaurant to go to on a date or for a romantic evening. The dinning room has no ambiance whatsoever. It is way too bright with blurry B&W photographs, white walls and table cloths. It looks like an executive dinning room. The food is good but not special enough to be charged those prices. The Octopus starter and apple tart were very good but the Halibut and Truffle Pasta were nothing special. The worst part was that the Truffle pasta was recommended by our waiter but he never mentioned it was $120!!! It was just pasta in cream sauce with truffle shavings. Our total bill for the 2 of us with a drink and 2 glasses of house wine each was $329! Do not eat here unless you are having a business meeting.
- Make sure you preorder a souffle.LarryDined on 9/6/2014Great food and service, good wine selection. We were not at all rushed. But the dining rooms are not quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulKmarksDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I went to Valbella for a birthday celebration. The food was delicious. The gnocchi was amazing--the lightest I have ever eaten. My husband got the burata salad. It was also amazing. The fruits de mar was chock full of crab and lobster and didn't disappoint. The branzino special was grilled over an arugula salad and while I nice balance to the rich gnocchi was a bit dry. I would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestTripletdadplus1Dined on 8/16/2014Best dessert menu in Fairfield county area excellent service by waiters as well as maître de great food as well as house wines . Favorite place to go when want a great meal and dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ricknat1VIPDined on 8/5/2014food is fine, old world atmosphere, portions are huge but it is incredibly overpriced
- The following 189 reviews are from the Valbella Connecticut reviews archive.
- A special occasion spotTrishaDined on 7/22/2014The food was very good, and it was a pleasure to have the service of proper waiters. Only disappointment was that their website shows tables on an outdoor patio and in the wine cellar, but both these areas are not really available!! However, the main dining room was very pleasant and nicely turned out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeDebthedinerDined on 7/21/2014Very few restaurants are perfect for a special occasion and. This is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere...food was okCNYCVIPDined on 7/19/2014I prefer the NYC - Meatpacking location. I got the special pasta with white truffle sauce... not so special.Special Features:
- A special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I dined here Saturday night in the wine cellar and had a wonderful night. Our waiter Juan was a perfect gentleman, never rushed us and he knew his wines. After dinner, the maitre d' Nick came to our table and was very helpful in offering suggestions on our upcoming trip to Napa. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and we will be back! Thanks again for making the night special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local PatronOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014Have been going here since it first opened and didn't mind the $$$ for the food; however, at our most recent visit, the food did not at all come up to expectations; was so over priced for average fare...Special Features:
- TerryVIPDined on 6/20/2014As always, Valbella is our first choice for a perfect evening. Whether for a weekday dinner or a special occasion, Valbella never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great wine!CustomerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Excllent choices in wine: BV Tapestry; Sterling Three Palms Merlot....can't do better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014I have not been there for a long time. It was pricey for the quality of food. The ambience was great, though.
- A Memorable EveningDRHCAPDined on 6/14/2014They set up a table for us in the wine cellar by the fireplace. The atmosphere was very cool. Our server gave us some great recommendations and some complimentary wine. It was a very nice time.Special Features:
- Wonderful but very priceybnp4foodVIPDined on 6/12/2014All around a wonderful evening but the prices are shocking. The quality is first rate but the portion sizes are much too large. If we were to return we would definitely split dishes. And don't order dessert when you order the meal as they request you do, wait until later to see how you feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchDrButtercupDined on 6/7/2014We went to Valbella's for a intimate dinner for my wife's birthday. The Hostess was friendly on the phone and the staff was very welcoming upon arrival. The menu had a good selection, we tried the sea bass and the chicken rollatini plus the endive salad and the baked clams. We also ordered the desserts in advance (Napolean and Chocolate Soufflé ). Add in the fine wine and the great service and that is a great night out. Plan on returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatPeterVIPDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant charges very high prices. The quality of the food does not match the prices it charges. It is a nice restaurant, but not on a par with some of the upscale restaurants also in Greenwich.
- GreatJavamary2Dined on 5/24/2014Great- service and food was perfect . Recommend the sea bassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJc123Dined on 5/24/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic meal while celebrating my birthday and we even saw Regis and his wife, Joy, at the restaurant!Special Features:
- Consistently wonderful!25thanniversarydinersDined on 5/13/2014The service is just superior! Our wait staff were attentive yet not imposing. Loved our meal. Always a perfectly romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valbella Conn.NewYorkFoodie16VIPDined on 5/11/2014Great restaurant with outstanding wonderful food. The service is terrific. The owners have 3 restaurants (2 in Manhattan and one in Conn.), but the one in CT is the best, and we go there all the time and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service, not cheapOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Valbella is always excellent and as long as you are willing to pay the price, it is worth it. Great staff and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodbye NY, for now...intheWPVIPDined on 5/7/2014we have moved to the West Coast and to celebrate selling our house we had to come back to Valbella, one of our favorite restaurants. We got a day between parties and large groups so the place was quiet and tranquil - just how we like it. I had some fresh oysters to start, then a veal dish in lemon sauce - which was divine. The martini I ordered was perfect. The manager heard we were moving and gave us desserts on the house - very classy. This is a wonderful place. Obviously wasn't cheap (and I did think $25 a glass of champagne was a bit much!) but we love this restaurant.Special Features: