1309 East Putnam Avenue
Riverside, CT 06878Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://valbellact.com/
- Phone: 2036371155
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Halili
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us for our catering menu.
A word from Valbella Connecticut
Valbella, which since 1992 has been a celebratory place and a regular haunt for the locals who pack it most nights of the week both for its sumptuous food and its astonishing wine cellar, containing 1,450 selections and 16,000 bottles. Downstairs in the wine cellar is where many people hold private parties of various sizes,and what a splendidly beautiful room it is, done in polished wood, with a lovely fireplace, the tables impeccably set, the stemware thin, the temperature geared to the maintenance of the wine. Also an outstanding feature of the wine cellar is a heated granite table that can accommodate up to sixteen guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Valbella Connecticut - Best Restaurants in Riverside ›
Valbella Connecticut reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)notable wine list (23)romantic (17)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- No ambiance & way over pricedJNudoDined on 9/12/2014This is not a restaurant to go to on a date or for a romantic evening. The dinning room has no ambiance whatsoever. It is way too bright with blurry B&W photographs, white walls and table cloths. It looks like an executive dinning room. The food is good but not special enough to be charged those prices. The Octopus starter and apple tart were very good but the Halibut and Truffle Pasta were nothing special. The worst part was that the Truffle pasta was recommended by our waiter but he never mentioned it was $120!!! It was just pasta in cream sauce with truffle shavings. Our total bill for the 2 of us with a drink and 2 glasses of house wine each was $329! Do not eat here unless you are having a business meeting.
- Make sure you preorder a souffle.LarryDined on 9/6/2014Great food and service, good wine selection. We were not at all rushed. But the dining rooms are not quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulKmarksDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I went to Valbella for a birthday celebration. The food was delicious. The gnocchi was amazing--the lightest I have ever eaten. My husband got the burata salad. It was also amazing. The fruits de mar was chock full of crab and lobster and didn't disappoint. The branzino special was grilled over an arugula salad and while I nice balance to the rich gnocchi was a bit dry. I would definitely go back for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestTripletdadplus1Dined on 8/16/2014Best dessert menu in Fairfield county area excellent service by waiters as well as maître de great food as well as house wines . Favorite place to go when want a great meal and dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ricknat1VIPDined on 8/5/2014food is fine, old world atmosphere, portions are huge but it is incredibly overpriced
- A special occasion spotTrishaDined on 7/22/2014The food was very good, and it was a pleasure to have the service of proper waiters. Only disappointment was that their website shows tables on an outdoor patio and in the wine cellar, but both these areas are not really available!! However, the main dining room was very pleasant and nicely turned out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeDebthedinerDined on 7/21/2014Very few restaurants are perfect for a special occasion and. This is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere...food was okCNYCVIPDined on 7/19/2014I prefer the NYC - Meatpacking location. I got the special pasta with white truffle sauce... not so special.Special Features:
- A special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I dined here Saturday night in the wine cellar and had a wonderful night. Our waiter Juan was a perfect gentleman, never rushed us and he knew his wines. After dinner, the maitre d' Nick came to our table and was very helpful in offering suggestions on our upcoming trip to Napa. The food was excellent, the service was outstanding and we will be back! Thanks again for making the night special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local PatronOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014Have been going here since it first opened and didn't mind the $$$ for the food; however, at our most recent visit, the food did not at all come up to expectations; was so over priced for average fare...Special Features:
- TerryDined on 6/20/2014As always, Valbella is our first choice for a perfect evening. Whether for a weekday dinner or a special occasion, Valbella never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great wine!CustomerVIPDined on 6/19/2014Excllent choices in wine: BV Tapestry; Sterling Three Palms Merlot....can't do better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014I have not been there for a long time. It was pricey for the quality of food. The ambience was great, though.
- A Memorable EveningDRHCAPDined on 6/14/2014They set up a table for us in the wine cellar by the fireplace. The atmosphere was very cool. Our server gave us some great recommendations and some complimentary wine. It was a very nice time.Special Features:
- Wonderful but very priceybnp4foodVIPDined on 6/12/2014All around a wonderful evening but the prices are shocking. The quality is first rate but the portion sizes are much too large. If we were to return we would definitely split dishes. And don't order dessert when you order the meal as they request you do, wait until later to see how you feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchDrButtercupDined on 6/7/2014We went to Valbella's for a intimate dinner for my wife's birthday. The Hostess was friendly on the phone and the staff was very welcoming upon arrival. The menu had a good selection, we tried the sea bass and the chicken rollatini plus the endive salad and the baked clams. We also ordered the desserts in advance (Napolean and Chocolate Soufflé ). Add in the fine wine and the great service and that is a great night out. Plan on returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatPeterVIPDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant charges very high prices. The quality of the food does not match the prices it charges. It is a nice restaurant, but not on a par with some of the upscale restaurants also in Greenwich.
- GreatJavamary2Dined on 5/24/2014Great- service and food was perfect . Recommend the sea bassSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/24/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic meal while celebrating my birthday and we even saw Regis and his wife, Joy, at the restaurant!Special Features:
- The following 175 reviews are from the Valbella Connecticut reviews archive.
- Consistently wonderful!25thanniversarydinersDined on 5/13/2014The service is just superior! Our wait staff were attentive yet not imposing. Loved our meal. Always a perfectly romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valbella Conn.NewYorkFoodie16VIPDined on 5/11/2014Great restaurant with outstanding wonderful food. The service is terrific. The owners have 3 restaurants (2 in Manhattan and one in Conn.), but the one in CT is the best, and we go there all the time and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and service, not cheapOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Valbella is always excellent and as long as you are willing to pay the price, it is worth it. Great staff and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodbye NY, for now...intheWPVIPDined on 5/7/2014we have moved to the West Coast and to celebrate selling our house we had to come back to Valbella, one of our favorite restaurants. We got a day between parties and large groups so the place was quiet and tranquil - just how we like it. I had some fresh oysters to start, then a veal dish in lemon sauce - which was divine. The martini I ordered was perfect. The manager heard we were moving and gave us desserts on the house - very classy. This is a wonderful place. Obviously wasn't cheap (and I did think $25 a glass of champagne was a bit much!) but we love this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not good, averageAlphaDined on 5/3/2014We ordered beef carpaccio and pear and gorgonzora cheeze salad for apetizer, lobstar linguine, salmon and steak and all the foods are on average, no heart moving tasteSpecial Features:
- A Greenwich Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014a superb restaurant for lunch - excellent service but it's the food that sells the restaurant. one can conduct business without the usual noise and chatter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lynn's BirthdayPeterMVIPDined on 4/26/2014We always think of Valbella's for special occasions as we are made to feel special when we dine there. Bone on Filet Mignon for my wife and venison for me both excellent. The staff is attentive without being intrusive and Lynn was treated with a tiramisu in honor of her birthday. a nice finishing touch to the evening.Special Features:
- Always great!JuniorPastryChefsParentsVIPDined on 4/19/2014Always great! Food, ambience, service. Nick is a great host. Love Val, Lino, Christina, Emilio, all the staff. Well behaved children are well received.Special Features:
- Awesome food and great servicePatrickDined on 4/18/2014Amazing options for appetizers and dinner. The service is knowledgeable and attentive. Vast wine selection with volumes to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valbella...Bella!AndyMorseVIPDined on 3/29/2014Nev disappoints...service and food wonderful...Vitelli martini outstanding..my wife preferred pollo martini..not on menu...chef delighted to accommodate. While the restaurant's location on Rte. 1 in Riverside, CT is far from beautiful...one can hear the truck horns from I 95 clearly...the elegant atmosphere of Valbella starts inside the front door. I suspect Valbella should be saved for an occasion...as it is costly. Andy MorseSpecial Features:
- Terrible steakfoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014I had the T-bone steak which came highly recomended by the waiter. Meat was full of fat and very grizzly. Horrible. Overall good service average to below average food
- Top Notch!RVBethelDined on 3/14/2014The Food was Great! The Homemade Pasta with a Veal Ragu was amazing... The Cold Antipasto and the stuff shrimp appetizer was done very well. Appreciate the free Lemoncello and Italian Grapa and the end of the night... The Wait staff was tops as well... Overall loved everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining FestSamosDined on 3/8/2014Our return to Valbella was memorable. Our appetizer special of zucchini flowers stuffed with ricotta and placed atop a small portion of garlic mashed potatoes was INCREDIBLE! We highly recommend dining in this long established Italian restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beMauilanceDined on 2/27/2014I remember Valbella when it was Humpty Dumpty's in the 1950's when I used to have birthday parties at this location with sawdust on the floor and a very different ambience. How times have changed in Greenwich. Valbella is not what it used to be in it's hayday. The food quality has gone down hill dramatically. While still being very good, the excellence and the attention to every little detail is gone and the restaurant was empty on a Thursday evening. Literally there were only 2 table being used and the rest of the restaurant was empty. I don't expect them to keep the doors open very much longer with a dwindling following like they have now. I ordered the Rack of Lamb and was only server 5 ribs. I showed them a rack is 8 ribs on my ipad.Special Features:
- Great dinning experianceDinoDined on 2/22/2014Another great evening at Valbella. Have never been disappointed on any visit to this wonderful establishment. They serve you with a smile, and professionalism from the minute you walk in, until your fantastic night is over. The food & presentation are top notch as is the ambiance & service. Will always recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff could not have beenlikegreatfoodDined on 2/21/2014The staff could not have been nicer; the service was great and the food was absolutely fantastic. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Right from walking in the door the staff was wonderful and everything was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine disappointmentValentineCoupleDined on 2/14/2014Let me start with saying the food was exceptional, definitely top shelf. Let me end with saying the service was slow (30 minutes after seating to drink order, 75 minutes to appetizer)- we were not alone with service speed ...Valentine is a busy time but restaurantsl like this know that and should plan for that. Cannot recommend this restaurant for special occasions - they cannot handle it.Special Features:
- Nothing specialSP27Dined on 2/14/2014Food was good, wine list was impressive, but nothing extraordinary. Prices were a little high for a good but fairly average italian meal.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceJennyWDined on 2/12/2014Everything is prepared to perfection here. They timed our meal perfectly, and I love the cheese and meat they bring with the bread - perfect when you arrive starving! The wines are amazing, and they make a mean martini, too. Absolute favorite is the grand marnier souffé HEAVENLY! Just a couple of quibbles. First, the valet attendant. This is the second time we've gone and the second time that he hasn't opened the passenger door first. Isn't that a basic rule to open a ladies' door first, especially at an old school place like this? He's just rude in general. Another issue: a bathroom attendant! WHY?! All I wanted was to be alone to pick a piece of meat out of my teeth! Even my 3 year old can wash his hands by himself.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valbella-Bella!MikeCDined on 2/8/2014Can't say enough about this restaurant--food and drink, ambience, service, all excellent. Recommend dining in the beautiful wine cellar if it's available. Wear something warm, since the cellar is intentionally kept cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.