1229 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valanni.com/
- Phone: (215) 790-9494
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Late night menu served until 1:00am 7 days a week and the Bar is open until 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Strain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining for groups of 10-40! Dining and beverage packages start as low as $17 per person.
We are certain that as a team, we will leave a lasting impression with you and your special guests and will strive to meet your every need.
At Valanni we offer a wide variety of menu items to satisfy every palate in addition to prices to fit any budget. All of our events are handled on a personal case by case basis, with the intent to reach
your highest expectations. Email Events@valanni.com!
- Entertainment: Djs Wednesday through Saturday from 10:30pm - 2:00am
- Special Events: Visit www.valanni.com for up-to-date reminders of special events.
A word from Valanni
Valanni restaurant opened its doors in September of 2000, introducing "Medi-Latin" cuisine to Philadelphia. Situated right off of the "Avenue of the Arts," Valanni has become a pre-theater ritual and place to meet for a night-cap for many who live in and around the neighborhood. The bar at Valanni keeps up with the creative food served by offering an assortment of sangria, mojitos and other specialty drinks. The kitchen is open until 1 AM daily serving Tapas and a Mediterranean inspired lounge menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Valanni - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Valanni reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)neighborhood gem (98)vibrant bar scene (93)good for groups (80)hot spot (78)special occasion (65)romantic (56)great for outdoor dining (53)late-night find (52)great for brunch (38)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (17)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- good fooOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2014I didn't not attend, but my wife and her friend did. they said that there was confusion with the hostess station, where they forgot to call my wife's party for 45min. but it ended up ok, because they had drinks at the bar...and I was told the bartender was great!!! the food was really good and the service was also good! she would def go back and try it again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't say better things about it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014This was a terrific experience. Booked a reservation on there busiest night for six but had two unexpected guests. After speaking with the manager she immediately made it work! SO accommodating. The server was sharp and provided excellent recommendations. Above all, the food and cocktails were amazing. We stuck with the tapas, but the paella was described excellently...guess I'll have to go back to try it. Nonetheless, there wasn't one dish I was displeased with and my group talked about it favorably into the next evening. Now to make sure you know this review is real... This is not a place for a quiet dinner on a Friday or Saturday. It is also is not kid friendly. It is full of the professional young types and busy. For this reviewer that is not a bad thing it's just reality. If you want great food, great service and lively atmosphere without kids at the table next to you, this is the place to be!!! Definitely returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chill VibesTcapriDined on 11/15/2014I absolutely loved dining at this restaurant for my birthday! The food was absolutely delicious, especially the lobster mac and cheese! I also loved the pop laid back feel of the restaurant and the very modern chic style that it had to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Service and Food in PhillyChrisVIPDined on 11/15/2014Excellent food and great service make this restaurant one of our top five choices in Philly. Make sure you make reservations since seating can be limited during prime time dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Brunch !!!!ChippyDined on 11/9/2014The brunch was outstanding!! We had the Lobster Benedict which was served on a cheddar bacon waffle , OMG:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent small plates.QuickSIlver7148Dined on 11/9/2014Eaten here a bunch of times and is always great food. Excellent to share plates and good drinks too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchMadyDined on 11/9/2014Went for Sunday brunch. Very good food, moderately priced. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overly loudGrizmax1Dined on 11/8/2014went with 3 friends on 11/8/2014, music was too loud, could barely hear the waiter, or talk to one another without yelling. Food was not worth the price. Made reservations, but had to wait almost 30 minutes to get a table. Really more of a bar than a restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOutOfTownerDined on 11/8/2014We wanted to find a restaurant prior to a show at the Kimmel Center and selected this one based on the online reviews and an interesting looking menu. There we four of us and we started with the Medi-Latin Plate. Hint, the beef kabobs are amazing. We also had a plate of the bacon wrapped scallops and the crispy brussel sprouts, all incredible. For dinner two of us had the lamb burger, one the braised short rib bolognese and I had the crusted ahi tuna. Everything was simply amazing. We finished up by splitting one of the Oreo beignets (oh my) and the caramelized rum bananas. To be honest, we could do it all again. The service was perfect; our waiter was very helpful and checked on us just enough. For a pre-theater dinner it was great.Special Features:
- Valanni Always Wins!TClarkDined on 11/8/2014Friends and I always choose Valanni for brunch because it's always perfect - from the Mimosa pitcher to the food and service. We enjoyed some of the tapa specials this time around including the Spicy Pulled Chicken Empanadas which everyone should try at least once!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2014We have been enjoying Valanni's food for a number of years. The staff is always friendly and efficient. I have noticed that the kitchen staff likes to add new dishes to keep the menu fresh. It is the kind of place that I can easily recommend to friends looking for a casual spot for some delicious small plates.Special Features:
- SandyVIPDined on 10/30/2014We thought the atmosphere, service and food was good.
- Dinner and a ShowDebWVIPDined on 10/29/2014Valanni's makes it very convenient to dine and on time to the Academy for a show. As a Kimmel member, 20% off the bill is a bonus.Dinners are always delicious. The service could not be better. Thanks.Special Features:
- A change but not for the goodFaithfulDinerDined on 10/28/2014Valanni, used to be one of my favorite places to dine. Unfortunately, I feel it's not the same place. I took a couple of out of town guests there and was surprised by 1) the taste of the food (seafood paella was way too salty) and 2) my favorite dessert (rum bananas) is so small now, literally only a few spoonfuls. A couple of weeks later, my friend wanted to go there for his birthday dinner. I was not really interested in going back but it was his decision. Both of us were disappointed in our meals. The brussel sprouts were drenched in balsamic vinegar and my scallops way too salty. We mentioned it to our server and we were offered each a glass of champagne and comped sprouts which was nice of them to do at least.
- CleoVIPDined on 10/27/2014The food was vey different and very tasty. The wait staff was very knowledgeable and able to answer question regarding preparation. Great place, but ask to sit away from the small bar if you want to carry on a conversation with your dining partner.Special Features:
- Looking forward to second visit.RSDesignerDined on 10/27/2014I really enjoyed Valanni. It is beautifully decorated, very chic. The menu was varied with selections that sounded great. We shared the baked Brie and the lobster/crab Mac and cheese, which was so rich and to die for! The lamb burger was delish. Everyone at our table enjoyed their selections (Kobe beef burger, lamb pasta special). Even the French press coffee was a plus. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAHKJAHKVIPDined on 10/26/2014The brunch is fabulous...delicious and well-priced! We love Valanni on SundaySpecial Features:
- Brunch & BalletEllenVIPDined on 10/26/2014Valanni is the perfect spot for dining near the Academy of Music. I have gone a couple of times for brunch with friends before attending the ballet, and we find it ideal for sharing a lovely meal and catching up (not too loud), with good food and friendly service. Plus you can make a reservation, so no waiting in line for an hour for brunch!Special Features:
- MigajeanBalletgirlVIPDined on 10/25/2014Often eat heard before going to ballet or orchestra. Food is perfect for brunch or lunch. Bar drinks are excellent. Service is hit or miss....the staff is very nice, however, they are not terribly attentive, once you are servedSpecial Features:
- great first time!FoodEnthusiastDined on 10/24/2014I came here on a Friday night after unsuccessfully going into two other restaurants. It's is just a few blocks away from the "busier" restaurants/bars which was great. This meant a slightly quieter and comfortable ambience and less people walking by (since we sat outside). I was with two other people and we ordered from the happy hour special. Half off most drinks! In addition, we shared about five tapas plates.. Just about the perfect amount of food to share between us. I would highly suggest this place and would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valanni is always goodAlanVIPDined on 10/20/2014We've had brunch at Valanni's and loved it now we tried dinner. A tapas menu that is terrific. Small plates but eight dishes were more the enough for four people. Desserts were a bit erratic. Fried Oreo was great. Bread pudding mediocre at best. Definitely would go back for brunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Super Fun and TrendyJulesVIPDined on 10/18/2014I normally am not in to trendy settings, but the way that Valanni has redone their space is trendy, hip, yet a little retro...and it's super cool and enjoyable. The staff are awesome, the drinks are fabulous, the food is delicious and I can't wait to go back repeatedly. This will definitely be one of my new "once a week" restaurants!!!!Special Features:
- Food First, Service SecondKamsVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have always loved this place and it's a favorite of the gayborhood, however when you're early for your reservation and they make you wait an additional 25 minutes to be seated, that feels really unacceptable to me. Especially when the bar is full and you haven't a place to put us until seating. I understand Friday nights in the city are crazy, but when patrons book ahead of time because they're making a special trip, be prepared. My party missed our trains home because of the wait and there were tables open. Our waitress, Laura, was incredibly attentive and we loved her, but the hostess staff need to be equally attentive. The food is always good: lobster mac and cheese and the sagnaki are MUSTS for your table!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceBABBABDined on 10/11/2014The food is very good, and you have a lot of options with the small plates. My entree (the airline chicken) was fantastic! The best part of our experience, though, was the service. Our waiter was super...on top of everything. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, average service.AleighDined on 10/11/2014The food was amazing. I would definitely recommend trying some of the tapas (Buffalo Chicken Croquettes, Chicken Empanadas, or even the Medi-tasting plate; however, share it amongst two people as it is a lot of food! On the other hand, the service was only ok. We were strapped for time (an hour and a half) and only saw our waiter to take drink orders and food orders at the beginning. The food took over an hour to get to our table, which is surprising as most Tapas restaurants bring it out as it's ready. We then had to track down the waiter for our check and supposedly, the credit card machine was having issues so it took another 10 minutes just to get them closed out.Special Features:
- Great Food, Much Ultraloud Musicbjb1VIPDined on 10/8/2014We have been going to Valanni for many years, and for the past two seasons it has been one of our favorite pre-theater or orchestra restaurants. We dined there on Wednesday, and found the food and service to continue to be excellent. However, the loud, throbbing, tense music made the experience nearly unbearable. My husband found it bearable, but I did not. Our servers, Chris and Stuart, did their best, moving us to a somewhat quieter table. Go if you don't mind the noise. The drinks are good. We thoroughly enjoyed the food. But if you are a curmudgeonly old folk like me, you might not want to risk it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluDined on 10/8/2014This was my second time at Valanni! I was lucky to be there for Restaurant week and it was so good I had to go back! I requested a romantic table for 2 and the host was more than happy to help! The food is amazing and the atmosphere was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre- TheatherAngeloDined on 10/7/2014This was an unexpected delight. Food was great and the service was good. Great location to enjoy dinner before a show.Special Features:
- Fantastic tapasajd1211Dined on 10/5/2014Great selection of small plates including a large number of vegetarian choices. Excellent service and very moderate prices. Nice wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeskinnygreedygalVIPDined on 10/1/2014We went here after a play at the kimmel center. This was our first time here, pleasantly surprised. Modern designed restaurant, very pretty. Food and service was great! Drinks were very good too. The lobster mac was sooo good!!!! Oh and the Oreo beignet was to die for! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Darling Favorite!1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 9/28/2014New stuff on the menu! A shrimp pesto flatbread and a beet arugula salad!…The server, Reece, was just the BEST!!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valanni never dissapoints...meatisgoodDined on 9/27/2014Had another great meal at Valanni. This time it was brunch for a friend's birthday. We had a lovely time and the service/food was amazing. I cannot say enough nice things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuffyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Convenient pre-theater location with good food and service. Music volume unnecessarily loud and unpleasant at 6 PM seating.Special Features:
- Good place for a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014I enjoyed the experience. I had a few of my closest friends join for my birthday. The food was good and the cocktails were good as well. The cucumber martini was a little weak. I love a good cucumber martini but it was still nice.Special Features:
- Trendy and very goodSkafishDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I found the food, drinks, service and decor all excellent. Don't expect a quiet romantic dinner ambiance, it's a very vibrant clientele and gets loud.Special Features:
- Great!YummmmmmmDined on 9/18/2014Went for restaurant week. They have great drinks and absolutely wonderful food! To drink, I had the x-boyfriend and the stuffed and dirty martini - both awesome! To eat, we tried the fried goat cheese, vegetable empanadas, and the mussels in red sauce. All delicious! I ordered the meat and seafood paella - amazing! I also had a bite of the pasta of the night and the tilapia, the tilapia was especially flavorful. For dessert, we had the rum bananas, Oreo beignet, and chocolate mouse. The mouse was the clear winner, but everything was yummy. I would recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kellster8Dined on 9/18/2014Went here for restaurant week- good food but you can get just as good somewhere without the non-restaurant-week price tag.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was unbelievable!!!! Very flavorful. Service was also very good. I would definitely recommend this place. Yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddemetriwayneDined on 9/18/2014Valanni's is always good..friendly staff, excellent food, good portions..mmm..yummy! I will never get tired of this place because of the food, music, the people..overall a winner. They also have an excellent brunch that should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheresaDined on 9/18/2014I had never been to Valanni before but went as part of restaurant week. The place was outstanding. Service was great and the food was wonderful. Just the right portion size and just the right seasoning. Wine was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.