1229 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valanni.com/
- Phone: 2157909494x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Late night menu served until 1:00am 7 days a week and the Bar is open until 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Strain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining for groups of 10-40! Dining and beverage packages start as low as $17 per person.
We are certain that as a team, we will leave a lasting impression with you and your special guests and will strive to meet your every need.
At Valanni we offer a wide variety of menu items to satisfy every palate in addition to prices to fit any budget. All of our events are handled on a personal case by case basis, with the intent to reach
your highest expectations. Email Events@valanni.com!
- Entertainment: Djs Wednesday through Saturday from 10:30pm - 2:00am
- Special Events: Visit www.valanni.com for up-to-date reminders of special events.
A word from Valanni
Valanni restaurant opened its doors in September of 2000, introducing "Medi-Latin" cuisine to Philadelphia. Situated right off of the "Avenue of the Arts," Valanni has become a pre-theater ritual and place to meet for a night-cap for many who live in and around the neighborhood. The bar at Valanni keeps up with the creative food served by offering an assortment of sangria, mojitos and other specialty drinks. The kitchen is open until 1 AM daily serving Tapas and a Mediterranean inspired lounge menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Valanni - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Valanni reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (80)vibrant bar scene (75)good for groups (64)hot spot (63)special occasion (59)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (51)late-night find (45)great for brunch (31)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (14)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Looking forward to second visit.RSDesignerDined on 10/27/2014I really enjoyed Valanni. It is beautifully decorated, very chic. The menu was varied with selections that sounded great. We shared the baked Brie and the lobster/crab Mac and cheese, which was so rich and to die for! The lamb burger was delish. Everyone at our table enjoyed their selections (Kobe beef burger, lamb pasta special). Even the French press coffee was a plus. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAHKJAHKVIPDined on 10/26/2014The brunch is fabulous...delicious and well-priced! We love Valanni on SundaySpecial Features:
- Brunch & BalletEllenVIPDined on 10/26/2014Valanni is the perfect spot for dining near the Academy of Music. I have gone a couple of times for brunch with friends before attending the ballet, and we find it ideal for sharing a lovely meal and catching up (not too loud), with good food and friendly service. Plus you can make a reservation, so no waiting in line for an hour for brunch!Special Features:
- great first time!FoodEnthusiastDined on 10/24/2014I came here on a Friday night after unsuccessfully going into two other restaurants. It's is just a few blocks away from the "busier" restaurants/bars which was great. This meant a slightly quieter and comfortable ambience and less people walking by (since we sat outside). I was with two other people and we ordered from the happy hour special. Half off most drinks! In addition, we shared about five tapas plates.. Just about the perfect amount of food to share between us. I would highly suggest this place and would come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valanni is always goodAlanVIPDined on 10/20/2014We've had brunch at Valanni's and loved it now we tried dinner. A tapas menu that is terrific. Small plates but eight dishes were more the enough for four people. Desserts were a bit erratic. Fried Oreo was great. Bread pudding mediocre at best. Definitely would go back for brunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Super Fun and TrendyJulesVIPDined on 10/18/2014I normally am not in to trendy settings, but the way that Valanni has redone their space is trendy, hip, yet a little retro...and it's super cool and enjoyable. The staff are awesome, the drinks are fabulous, the food is delicious and I can't wait to go back repeatedly. This will definitely be one of my new "once a week" restaurants!!!!Special Features:
- Food First, Service SecondKamsVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have always loved this place and it's a favorite of the gayborhood, however when you're early for your reservation and they make you wait an additional 25 minutes to be seated, that feels really unacceptable to me. Especially when the bar is full and you haven't a place to put us until seating. I understand Friday nights in the city are crazy, but when patrons book ahead of time because they're making a special trip, be prepared. My party missed our trains home because of the wait and there were tables open. Our waitress, Laura, was incredibly attentive and we loved her, but the hostess staff need to be equally attentive. The food is always good: lobster mac and cheese and the sagnaki are MUSTS for your table!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceBABBABDined on 10/11/2014The food is very good, and you have a lot of options with the small plates. My entree (the airline chicken) was fantastic! The best part of our experience, though, was the service. Our waiter was super...on top of everything. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, average service.AleighDined on 10/11/2014The food was amazing. I would definitely recommend trying some of the tapas (Buffalo Chicken Croquettes, Chicken Empanadas, or even the Medi-tasting plate; however, share it amongst two people as it is a lot of food! On the other hand, the service was only ok. We were strapped for time (an hour and a half) and only saw our waiter to take drink orders and food orders at the beginning. The food took over an hour to get to our table, which is surprising as most Tapas restaurants bring it out as it's ready. We then had to track down the waiter for our check and supposedly, the credit card machine was having issues so it took another 10 minutes just to get them closed out.Special Features:
- Great Food, Much Ultraloud Musicbjb1VIPDined on 10/8/2014We have been going to Valanni for many years, and for the past two seasons it has been one of our favorite pre-theater or orchestra restaurants. We dined there on Wednesday, and found the food and service to continue to be excellent. However, the loud, throbbing, tense music made the experience nearly unbearable. My husband found it bearable, but I did not. Our servers, Chris and Stuart, did their best, moving us to a somewhat quieter table. Go if you don't mind the noise. The drinks are good. We thoroughly enjoyed the food. But if you are a curmudgeonly old folk like me, you might not want to risk it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluDined on 10/8/2014This was my second time at Valanni! I was lucky to be there for Restaurant week and it was so good I had to go back! I requested a romantic table for 2 and the host was more than happy to help! The food is amazing and the atmosphere was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre- TheatherAngeloDined on 10/7/2014This was an unexpected delight. Food was great and the service was good. Great location to enjoy dinner before a show.Special Features:
- Fantastic tapasajd1211Dined on 10/5/2014Great selection of small plates including a large number of vegetarian choices. Excellent service and very moderate prices. Nice wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeskinnygreedygalVIPDined on 10/1/2014We went here after a play at the kimmel center. This was our first time here, pleasantly surprised. Modern designed restaurant, very pretty. Food and service was great! Drinks were very good too. The lobster mac was sooo good!!!! Oh and the Oreo beignet was to die for! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Darling Favorite!1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 9/28/2014New stuff on the menu! A shrimp pesto flatbread and a beet arugula salad!…The server, Reece, was just the BEST!!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valanni never dissapoints...meatisgoodDined on 9/27/2014Had another great meal at Valanni. This time it was brunch for a friend's birthday. We had a lovely time and the service/food was amazing. I cannot say enough nice things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuffyVIPDined on 9/26/2014Convenient pre-theater location with good food and service. Music volume unnecessarily loud and unpleasant at 6 PM seating.Special Features:
- Good place for a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014I enjoyed the experience. I had a few of my closest friends join for my birthday. The food was good and the cocktails were good as well. The cucumber martini was a little weak. I love a good cucumber martini but it was still nice.Special Features:
- Trendy and very goodSkafishDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I found the food, drinks, service and decor all excellent. Don't expect a quiet romantic dinner ambiance, it's a very vibrant clientele and gets loud.Special Features:
- Great!YummmmmmmDined on 9/18/2014Went for restaurant week. They have great drinks and absolutely wonderful food! To drink, I had the x-boyfriend and the stuffed and dirty martini - both awesome! To eat, we tried the fried goat cheese, vegetable empanadas, and the mussels in red sauce. All delicious! I ordered the meat and seafood paella - amazing! I also had a bite of the pasta of the night and the tilapia, the tilapia was especially flavorful. For dessert, we had the rum bananas, Oreo beignet, and chocolate mouse. The mouse was the clear winner, but everything was yummy. I would recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kellster8Dined on 9/18/2014Went here for restaurant week- good food but you can get just as good somewhere without the non-restaurant-week price tag.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The food was unbelievable!!!! Very flavorful. Service was also very good. I would definitely recommend this place. Yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always gooddemetriwayneDined on 9/18/2014Valanni's is always good..friendly staff, excellent food, good portions..mmm..yummy! I will never get tired of this place because of the food, music, the people..overall a winner. They also have an excellent brunch that should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheresaDined on 9/18/2014I had never been to Valanni before but went as part of restaurant week. The place was outstanding. Service was great and the food was wonderful. Just the right portion size and just the right seasoning. Wine was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 in my book!LadyStephVIPDined on 9/18/2014My best restaurant experience ever! Every part of my 4 course meal was fantabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I had never heard of this place until last week when I was searching through 'restaurant week' options. The food was AMAZING! I had the goat cheese appetizer which was my favorite. I'd go back just for that. For my meal I ordered the Lobster & Crab Mac & Cheese which was also incredibly delicious! Then for dessert I ordered the Oreo Beignet. Mmmhmm... very good. Overall I'd say the food was my favorite part of this restaurant. The service wasn't perfect but it was good for the most part. The hostesses were a little slow to seat us even with reservations but the food more than made up for it :) :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencerayfaye1982Dined on 9/16/2014We went to Valanni for restaurant week and it was delicious! The service was great and the food was phenomenal! I went there for brunch once as well and it was just as good if not better.Special Features:
- Great place!Love2eatDined on 9/15/2014I had been wanting to try this place for quite awhile. I'm so glad I finally did!! I truly enjoyed my food and the ambiance was amazing!!! My husband and I came for our 2nd anniversary and it gave us exactly what we were looking for. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Best tuna but priceyGayborhoodgalDined on 9/14/2014We went for restaurant week. Was expecting more small plates but it was a small plate larger plate and dessert. Other restaurants have larger portions for the restaurant week price. Anyway, the food is always fabulous here just priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingDeish30Dined on 9/14/2014Cute dark resturant just how I like it food and drinks very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sooo goodniklovenightDined on 9/14/2014Delicious n flavorful food. The x boyfriend is a great passion fruit drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ice Cream SoupdisappointeddinerDined on 9/14/2014We started our meal with pleasant, unique tapas (Baked Brie & Crispy Shiitake Polenta). But that's where our praises end. Our Meat & Seafood Paella was brought to us on porcelain plates - not on a sizzling pan, hence with a dearth of socarrat (the crispy rice on the bottom). To rub salt in the wound, we found a bitter paste in many of our clams and mussels, which we surmise was the paella flavoring not distributed correctly. The dagger came with dessert. Having read good reviews about the Caramelized Rum Bananas and Bread Pudding, we ordered these. To our dismay, they arrived looking more like soup than dessert. 60% of the ice cream had melted by the time our desserts reached our table. I don't remember ice cream soup being a delicacy.Special Features:
- Great brunchFoodie87Dined on 9/14/2014We actually went for restaurant week but arrived to early to take part. We had brunch instead. I had the Petit Filet & eggs w/ mushrooms and potatoes. It was DELICIOUS! I would definitely go back to get that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseKrazyKatDined on 9/13/2014We had concert tickets for the Kimmel. I searched Google maps and saw that Valanni was nearby. It happened to be restaurant week so we all decided to spend the $35 for an appetizer, entrée and dessert. We loved our food choices and our waitress was precious. I will return.Special Features:
- GREAT FOODSelbzDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I enjoy trying new foods and Valanni really fit the bill. The have a Tapas menu that has so many choices we didn't know where to start. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable about all the dishes on the menu so she made choosing easier. The prices were VERY reasonable compared to other Tapas places we have been and the quality of the food was very very good. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty averageBecky269Dined on 9/12/2014Everything was around the sub par/average level. Food was okay. Service was okay, not bad but the server never came to check on us and wasn't really great or anything. I had the most sour sangria ever, barely had 2 pieces of fruit in it. It's a really cool looking place, but everything else about it is average. Will not be returningSpecial Features:
- Great AtmosphereKizzyDined on 9/12/2014My first time...went on a Friday night during Restaurant Week. Great mix of people, food was fantastic and the DJ had us wishing for a dance floor! My new favorite place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wendy63DinerdashDined on 9/12/2014We tried this restaurant for Resturant Week. We were so impressed with everything...the menu has many selections for everyone and portions are perfect so you can enjoy the fabulous desserts!Special Features:
- Good Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014This was a good happy hour spot. The bar tender was friendly. I made a reservation for a group of 4. One more person decided to join us, but the restaurant was not very accommodating. They told us we could grab a lounge table, but we could not just add an extra chair to our table. I understand that it was restaurant week. We made due with our spot at the bar and then got dinner at another place in the area.Special Features:
- Terrible servicePatriciaVIPDined on 9/11/2014Two of my friends & I expected great service and delicious food. Valanni failed on both accounts. The food was mediocre, bland and over cooked. The service was terrible! The staff acted as if they were overwhelmed... Didn't you know it was restaurant week?! They were unprofessional, aloof and unattentibe.Special Features: