1229 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valanni.com/
- Phone: 2157909494x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Late night menu served until 1:00am 7 days a week and the Bar is open until 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Strain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining for groups of 10-40! Dining and beverage packages start as low as $17 per person.
We are certain that as a team, we will leave a lasting impression with you and your special guests and will strive to meet your every need.
At Valanni we offer a wide variety of menu items to satisfy every palate in addition to prices to fit any budget. All of our events are handled on a personal case by case basis, with the intent to reach
your highest expectations. Email Events@valanni.com!
- Entertainment: Djs Wednesday through Saturday from 10:30pm - 2:00am
- Special Events: Visit www.valanni.com for up-to-date reminders of special events.
A word from Valanni
Valanni restaurant opened its doors in September of 2000, introducing "Medi-Latin" cuisine to Philadelphia. Situated right off of the "Avenue of the Arts," Valanni has become a pre-theater ritual and place to meet for a night-cap for many who live in and around the neighborhood. The bar at Valanni keeps up with the creative food served by offering an assortment of sangria, mojitos and other specialty drinks. The kitchen is open until 1 AM daily serving Tapas and a Mediterranean inspired lounge menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Valanni - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Valanni reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (72)good for groups (61)vibrant bar scene (59)special occasion (55)hot spot (52)great for outdoor dining (52)romantic (51)late-night find (38)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014I had been wanting to try this place for quite awhile. I'm so glad I finally did!! I truly enjoyed my food and the ambiance was amazing!!! My husband and I came for our 2nd anniversary and it gave us exactly what we were looking for. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Best tuna but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014We went for restaurant week. Was expecting more small plates but it was a small plate larger plate and dessert. Other restaurants have larger portions for the restaurant week price. Anyway, the food is always fabulous here just priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sooo goodniklovenightDined on 9/14/2014Delicious n flavorful food. The x boyfriend is a great passion fruit drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ice Cream SoupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We started our meal with pleasant, unique tapas (Baked Brie & Crispy Shiitake Polenta). But that's where our praises end. Our Meat & Seafood Paella was brought to us on porcelain plates - not on a sizzling pan, hence with a dearth of socarrat (the crispy rice on the bottom). To rub salt in the wound, we found a bitter paste in many of our clams and mussels, which we surmise was the paella flavoring not distributed correctly. The dagger came with dessert. Having read good reviews about the Caramelized Rum Bananas and Bread Pudding, we ordered these. To our dismay, they arrived looking more like soup than dessert. 60% of the ice cream had melted by the time our desserts reached our table. I don't remember ice cream soup being a delicacy.Special Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We actually went for restaurant week but arrived to early to take part. We had brunch instead. I had the Petit Filet & eggs w/ mushrooms and potatoes. It was DELICIOUS! I would definitely go back to get that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014We had concert tickets for the Kimmel. I searched Google maps and saw that Valanni was nearby. It happened to be restaurant week so we all decided to spend the $35 for an appetizer, entrée and dessert. We loved our food choices and our waitress was precious. I will return.Special Features:
- GREAT FOODSelbzDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I enjoy trying new foods and Valanni really fit the bill. The have a Tapas menu that has so many choices we didn't know where to start. The waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable about all the dishes on the menu so she made choosing easier. The prices were VERY reasonable compared to other Tapas places we have been and the quality of the food was very very good. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty averageBecky269Dined on 9/12/2014Everything was around the sub par/average level. Food was okay. Service was okay, not bad but the server never came to check on us and wasn't really great or anything. I had the most sour sangria ever, barely had 2 pieces of fruit in it. It's a really cool looking place, but everything else about it is average. Will not be returningSpecial Features:
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014My first time...went on a Friday night during Restaurant Week. Great mix of people, food was fantastic and the DJ had us wishing for a dance floor! My new favorite place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wendy63DinerdashDined on 9/12/2014We tried this restaurant for Resturant Week. We were so impressed with everything...the menu has many selections for everyone and portions are perfect so you can enjoy the fabulous desserts!Special Features:
- Good Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014This was a good happy hour spot. The bar tender was friendly. I made a reservation for a group of 4. One more person decided to join us, but the restaurant was not very accommodating. They told us we could grab a lounge table, but we could not just add an extra chair to our table. I understand that it was restaurant week. We made due with our spot at the bar and then got dinner at another place in the area.Special Features:
- Terrible servicePatriciaVIPDined on 9/11/2014Two of my friends & I expected great service and delicious food. Valanni failed on both accounts. The food was mediocre, bland and over cooked. The service was terrible! The staff acted as if they were overwhelmed... Didn't you know it was restaurant week?! They were unprofessional, aloof and unattentibe.Special Features:
- Love It!!!Iroq215Dined on 9/11/2014This place is nothing short of Chic & Fabulous!! Every time I expose one of my friends to this place, they really enjoy the food and the entire ambience of Vilanni. I'm glad that this place is right in my neighborhood. I would definitely recommend as an official hot spot!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week at ValanniOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The menu was excellent - it had a wide variety of dishes. I had only ever been here for happy hour before, which is also AMAZING, so this was my first time ordering entrees. I took two friends that had never been there and they were so impressed, they have be asking me to go back ASAP. Overall, it is in a great location, the food is always delicious and the drinks are excellent.Special Features:
- BagsDined on 9/9/2014We spent a wonderful evening at Valanni for Restaurant Week. The food was more than just delicious. The service was exceptional. I would recomend this restaurant to family, friends and out of town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!Gel4Dined on 9/8/2014Came to Valanni for my birthday and just so happened that restaurant week was the same time. It was a great place. We had great food, filling portions, and wonderful service. Our server Nick was always on point with getting us our drinks and bringing out the food hot! We had a part of 6 and everyone really enjoyed themselves. We will def be back!Special Features:
- Unique and eclecticAnnabananas25Dined on 9/7/2014Valany's atmospehre was very modern, i loved the ope windoes and glass decor. The food was fabulous, unique combinations that were done just right. Our Server, Rochelle, genuinely seemed to enjoy serving us. She was very friendly and had great feed back on our questions. I would deffinately reccomend Valanni and plan to go back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valannis for brunchRicoVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have eaten dinner at Valanni's but this was my first time having brunch. I was impressed with the egg and shrimp omelette. It was well seasoned. Every bite of the omelette contained a large piece of shrimp. The potatoes were very good. They were crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. The pitcher of Bloody Mary was sensational. My friend had the lobster eggs benedict over a waffle and was very pleased with it. Overall, a pleasant and nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Valanni!CriticalWhinersVIPDined on 9/6/2014From a very cool & elegantly modern decor to the nicest hostess ever; Valanni was superb! The range & size of the tapas dishes allows you to easily share or make your own dinner with 2-3 dishes. I had the flatbread mushrooms (not a major Kennet Square mushroom lover,) but the waiter suggested this along with my choice of salad & tuna tartare. Thank you waiter--the seasoning was the right amount and the mushrooms were perfectly crispy baked on a very thin flatbread. Add in a generous house-infused cucumber vodka drink...all was well that night. While we and our dinner companions were well past the bar scene, Valanni's looked like I wanted to be in my 20's again! It was also great that our seating area was perfectly private and not noisy.Special Features:
- Great food and atmospherebeaglemanDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time dining here. I had a completely different idea in my mind of what it was going to be like. I was thinking quiet, charming and good food. Well, the good food turned out to be GREAT food! We ordered a bunch of small plates and then a seafood paella for the group. It was the perfect amount of food for the 5 of us. The small plates came out one-by-one which gave us a chance to savor each dish. I was dead wrong on quiet. The techno music was loud and fun! At first I thought I would be annoyed with it but it truly set the mood for fun times. It felt like we were part of a very chic party. The staff and service were top notch. While the prices were a little steep, it was what I expected to pay in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/5/2014Went with a group of four. We were told to order 2-3 tapas per person, and we ended up getting a bunch of small plates of deep fried bland items that were all either drizzled with or served on the side with the same chipotle mayo. One of the guests remarked how everything looked the same, which was indeed the case. Brown, deep fried, and plain-tasting. Really overpriced, too. Service was exquisitely slow.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Fun Vibe!KImperialeDined on 8/31/2014Visited Valanni after a Sunday matinee of Book of Mormons. It was a great choice. Service was great, food was excellent and the atmosphere is fun. It is a perfect choice pre or post theater with a group, to share tapas. Also a perfect choice for date night!Special Features:
- Great tapas with friends.mle987VIPDined on 8/29/2014Fantastic tapas. Get the lobster and crab mac and cheese!Special Features:
- great tapaslcpfoodie29Dined on 8/24/2014Went with a group and we shared a bunch of the small plates. They were all delicious especially the vegetable samosas and the spanakopita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PorkBelly...Cuban...SlidersFood4ThoughtDined on 8/22/2014Nice little find in CC. Checked in on Yelp to get a free glass of Sangria, in addition to a nice local craft beer. Enjoyed 4 tapas which was just enough for 2 people. Calamari was good, although over cooked for my liking. Buffalo Chicken Croquettes were unique and surprisingly good! Also had the mussels white. I am not a big white sauce with my shellfish fan, but Valanni may have changed that. We were seated at a table against the open store front and it was pretty fun people watching. Overall, I'd recommend Valanni and I will be returning.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent, however, the service was so poor I'm not sure I would return. Note the policy of 20% service charge for parties of 5 or more. 18% for 8 or more is typical. Our server took full advantage of his guaranteed tip and had to be tracked down for drink orders, food, refills, check, etc. He couldn't answer basic wine questions (limited wine selection, overpriced). We had theater tickets for a 6:30 show (noted during our reservation and when seated) and we were late due to the poor service. Our reservation was at 4:45 and the restaurant was about 1/5 full, so not crowded. Is a shame because food was delicious-the Medi-Latin Plate was fun and a great value, also enjoyed Lamb Burger, Lobster Mac and Cheese, Chiorizo flatbreadSpecial Features:
- Great for BrunchKmil321VIPDined on 8/17/2014The brunch was very good, it was quite loud and crowded. The build your own mimosa was a cool option, pricey but fun. The omlett was massive, but so absolutely delicious and creative. Definitely a place for youngsters, but I would not bring my mother here due to the crowd and noise level for a Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Pre theatre gemGlobaleaterVIPDined on 8/15/2014Service was friendly, atmosphere very cool and food fantastic. Love the small plates because everything on the menu is delicious!Special Features:
- GoodIzzieDined on 8/14/2014Good enjoyable atmosphere etc etch here to eat wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Love this restaurant. Food always good. Server knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Great tapas menu! Stopped in for an early dinner prior to seeing a show. Ordered several items from the tapas menu: fried goat cheese, calamari, brussel sprouts & the lamb cheesesteak sliders. All were excellent!Special Features:
- Some great dishes.FoodEDined on 8/8/2014Great food! Loved almost everything about this place and love the other restaraunts from this owner. Had a one time bad experience where my beef tasted like it was pulled from the schuykill and then rolled in old rotten apple juice though. Great waitstaff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazing!AshGradDined on 8/8/2014This was my first time here...and it will not be my last. The food was delicious, the hostess and waiter were friendly also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Great Spanish restaurant! We ordered paella which was the best paella I have ever had! Service was great too! Price is acceptable. Also, we were sitting in the back court which was very quite, very good for talking
- EhBriGuyDined on 8/2/2014Beef kebabs burnt to a crisp. Empanadas were average. They brought too many of the tapas we ordered out at once then one came out about an hour later (over cooked oily polenta but the shrimp were good). No sense of pacing. We ordered chick pea frites (which were excellent) but they brought out buffalo chicken balls and announced them as the chick pea frites. My wife who is a vegetarian bit into one.... Shaved Brussels sprouts (with Apple))were really good at least. Enjoyed the mushroom flatbread too.
- Delicious and funabcdeDined on 8/1/2014I was pleasantly surprised; went for a birthday dinner as a group of 4, and we had a great time. The lobster mac n'cheese, pulled chicken empanadas, and duck/foie gras flatbread were amazing. The seafood paella was a little disappointing to me, it was not very flavorful. However, it was completely redeemed by the oreo beignet....holy moly that is off the hook!!! Would come back just for that!Special Features:
- Food good; Noise baddeaf2dinnVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten at Valanni's many times over the years and always enjoyed it despite the relatively high level of noise in the evening. Brunch is generally fine. In fact, I had a very enjoyable impromptu brunch last Sunday. However, the noise level last Friday evening was incredible. My guest and I had to lean across the table to hear each other. We should have known we were in trouble when the hostess took us into one room and asked if it were too noisy. If you have to ask, you should know what the answer is. It will be awhile before I'll be back for dinner--and it won't be on a Friday. A shame because the food and the service are first rate. Please do something about the noise level.
- Always a pleasure at ValanniPassportDined on 7/29/2014I've gone a few times & love going back - been for birthdays, happy hour & date nights - great food, drink & staff!Special Features:
- Great Restaurantjs16Dined on 7/29/2014Ate at Valanni recently prior to seeing a show. Everything was great. Food was delicious. They had plenty of options. It's a great place if you like having tapas and sharing plates. My family and girlfriend had each of the vegetarian tapas which were delicious. I especially recommend the fried goat cheese and the arancini (fried risotto). This was my first time here, but it will not be my last. Great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!! :-)1NewZagatsGuideVIPDined on 7/27/2014Fun to eat outside and they have lots of great choices!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.