1229 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valanni.com/
- Phone: 2157909494x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Late night menu served until 1:00am 7 days a week and the Bar is open until 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Strain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining for groups of 10-40! Dining and beverage packages start as low as $17 per person.
We are certain that as a team, we will leave a lasting impression with you and your special guests and will strive to meet your every need.
At Valanni we offer a wide variety of menu items to satisfy every palate in addition to prices to fit any budget. All of our events are handled on a personal case by case basis, with the intent to reach
your highest expectations. Email Events@valanni.com!
- Entertainment: Djs Wednesday through Saturday from 10:30pm - 2:00am
- Special Events: Visit www.valanni.com for up-to-date reminders of special events.
A word from Valanni
Valanni restaurant opened its doors in September of 2000, introducing "Medi-Latin" cuisine to Philadelphia. Situated right off of the "Avenue of the Arts," Valanni has become a pre-theater ritual and place to meet for a night-cap for many who live in and around the neighborhood. The bar at Valanni keeps up with the creative food served by offering an assortment of sangria, mojitos and other specialty drinks. The kitchen is open until 1 AM daily serving Tapas and a Mediterranean inspired lounge menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Valanni - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Valanni reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (69)vibrant bar scene (56)good for groups (54)special occasion (54)great for outdoor dining (49)romantic (47)hot spot (45)late-night find (36)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- great tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Went with a group and we shared a bunch of the small plates. They were all delicious especially the vegetable samosas and the spanakopita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent, however, the service was so poor I'm not sure I would return. Note the policy of 20% service charge for parties of 5 or more. 18% for 8 or more is typical. Our server took full advantage of his guaranteed tip and had to be tracked down for drink orders, food, refills, check, etc. He couldn't answer basic wine questions (limited wine selection, overpriced). We had theater tickets for a 6:30 show (noted during our reservation and when seated) and we were late due to the poor service. Our reservation was at 4:45 and the restaurant was about 1/5 full, so not crowded. Is a shame because food was delicious-the Medi-Latin Plate was fun and a great value, also enjoyed Lamb Burger, Lobster Mac and Cheese, Chiorizo flatbreadSpecial Features:
- Pre theatre gemGlobaleaterDined on 8/15/2014Service was friendly, atmosphere very cool and food fantastic. Love the small plates because everything on the menu is delicious!Special Features:
- GoodIzzieDined on 8/14/2014Good enjoyable atmosphere etc etch here to eat wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Love this restaurant. Food always good. Server knowledgable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Great tapas menu! Stopped in for an early dinner prior to seeing a show. Ordered several items from the tapas menu: fried goat cheese, calamari, brussel sprouts & the lamb cheesesteak sliders. All were excellent!Special Features:
- Some great dishes.FoodEDined on 8/8/2014Great food! Loved almost everything about this place and love the other restaraunts from this owner. Had a one time bad experience where my beef tasted like it was pulled from the schuykill and then rolled in old rotten apple juice though. Great waitstaff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazing!AshGradDined on 8/8/2014This was my first time here...and it will not be my last. The food was delicious, the hostess and waiter were friendly also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Great Spanish restaurant! We ordered paella which was the best paella I have ever had! Service was great too! Price is acceptable. Also, we were sitting in the back court which was very quite, very good for talking
- EhBriGuyDined on 8/2/2014Beef kebabs burnt to a crisp. Empanadas were average. They brought too many of the tapas we ordered out at once then one came out about an hour later (over cooked oily polenta but the shrimp were good). No sense of pacing. We ordered chick pea frites (which were excellent) but they brought out buffalo chicken balls and announced them as the chick pea frites. My wife who is a vegetarian bit into one.... Shaved Brussels sprouts (with Apple))were really good at least. Enjoyed the mushroom flatbread too.
- Delicious and funabcdeDined on 8/1/2014I was pleasantly surprised; went for a birthday dinner as a group of 4, and we had a great time. The lobster mac n'cheese, pulled chicken empanadas, and duck/foie gras flatbread were amazing. The seafood paella was a little disappointing to me, it was not very flavorful. However, it was completely redeemed by the oreo beignet....holy moly that is off the hook!!! Would come back just for that!Special Features:
- Food good; Noise baddeaf2dinnDined on 8/1/2014I've eaten at Valanni's many times over the years and always enjoyed it despite the relatively high level of noise in the evening. Brunch is generally fine. In fact, I had a very enjoyable impromptu brunch last Sunday. However, the noise level last Friday evening was incredible. My guest and I had to lean across the table to hear each other. We should have known we were in trouble when the hostess took us into one room and asked if it were too noisy. If you have to ask, you should know what the answer is. It will be awhile before I'll be back for dinner--and it won't be on a Friday. A shame because the food and the service are first rate. Please do something about the noise level.
- Always a pleasure at ValanniPassportDined on 7/29/2014I've gone a few times & love going back - been for birthdays, happy hour & date nights - great food, drink & staff!Special Features:
- Great Restaurantjs16Dined on 7/29/2014Ate at Valanni recently prior to seeing a show. Everything was great. Food was delicious. They had plenty of options. It's a great place if you like having tapas and sharing plates. My family and girlfriend had each of the vegetarian tapas which were delicious. I especially recommend the fried goat cheese and the arancini (fried risotto). This was my first time here, but it will not be my last. Great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Philly FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Great food, great service. All around, a great place to dine.Special Features:
- Great happy hour spot!ElvieDined on 7/25/2014What a find in Philly! We (3 ladies) decided to get together for a happy hour and we couldn't have landed in a better place! The service, food, drinks and ambiance were great. We sat in the terrace, which was great as the weather was perfect - the inside looked very nice as well. Tapas were great - good selection, one of us is vegan and did not have any issues finding a good selection. The happy hour specials were so affordable (1/2 off tapas & wine) and we ended order so many tapas that ended up being our dinner! We even had a mini paella! Drinks & tapas came out to $75 total! Would definitely come back when in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Critter22Dined on 7/21/2014Food and service were excellent. Will definitely return. \happy hour a good deal. Lots of choices.Special Features:
- The best thing I ever atPhillyfoodieDined on 7/20/2014The caramel macchiato French toast were the most delicious thing I have ever eat. Everyone should try them !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!SalamanderDined on 7/11/2014Had the paella and empanadas...on target in terms of flavor and tasteSpecial Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2014This is an excellent place for Sunday brunch. It wasn't crowded and the food and drinks were delicious. I would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Great light dinnerYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 7/1/2014Went here for some small plates and drinks with a friend after work. After living in Philly 2 years, I still maintain that their grilled caesar salad is The Best I've ever had. Oh, and all the other food was pretty great too. My one complaint was that whenever our water came to check in and see if we wanted to order more dishes/drinks, he looked really annoyed if we said no. Oh, I'm sorry, am I supposed to stuff myself and get wasted on a Tuesday to fatten up your tip? Fortunately, I know that their staff is generally pretty fantastic, especially the bartenders, so it was a shame we got stuck with this guy serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice tapas selectionPharmerchrisDined on 6/29/2014Went here on a Sunday, they have a nice Tapas menu with a variety of cuisine selections. Bacon wrapped figs were my favorite followed by the scallops. Overall the food was above average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014Valanni has gone from one of my faves to I probably won't go back. The pitchers of sangria used to be the best. Now they pour a bottle of wine over marinated fruit and call it Sangria. Yuk! Tapas menu is no longer the same. Fried chick peas used to be "real" - now look like mozzarella sticks and taste like mush. Took off the shrimp options as well. No more shrimp scampi or flatbread but you can get shrimp if you like it with octopus. The previously fabulous lobster mac n cheese had so little lobster that we had to dig down to the bottom to find one piece. This restaurant is conveniently located in the theater district and we would always go here for tapas and sangria. At one point they were a close tie with Amada- no more...
- Great dinnerPassportDined on 6/26/2014I've been here a few times, & always good food & good service. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous BrunchLaurenDined on 6/22/2014Absolutely delicious brunch! Great place to catch-up with girlfriends. Mix your own mimosas for $25 (bottle of champagne and carafe of OJ) And the omlettes were all excellent. I'd highly recommend the one with shrimp, pancetta, and truffled provolone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always interestingfavoredVIPDined on 6/21/2014Valanni never fails to fulfill my expectations -- in food and in ambiance. Noisy, but interesting people making the noise! Our small dishes were creative, but the paella was disappointingly "tired." As always, compliments to the bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good experienceEaglesFanDined on 6/21/2014We went to celebrate a special occasion- it was a group of five of us. Our server was excellent and offered recommendations when we asked for them. The tapas had a wide variety and everyone enjoyed their food and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- A pre- theater treatFamilymanDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I visited prior to a show at the Kimmel. Our experience was first rate from the start. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable without hovering and the food was fantastic. We tried six of their tapas offerings, and even the Brussels sprouts, of which I am traditionally not a fan, were delicious. I would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great AtmospherelaineDined on 6/21/2014Visited Vallani as pre theatre visit and was not disappointed. Intimate, "chic", comfortable. From environment, to food, to service Vallani is an excellent establishment. It's romantic, cozy but not claustrophobic. Food was paired with great saucing, well prepared, well seasoned. I plan to return there again in the near future to continue sampling the menu. You would be "well-served" to put Vallani on your list of Philly restaurant gems to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome stuff!NewZagats2VIPDined on 6/17/2014Sitting outside is great! So is, the Polenta and shrimp, Warm brie and cranberries, scallops, the mushroom flatbread, the spinach pastry. Server was such a nice guy!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!1BongoDined on 6/15/2014Really enjoyed our visit - we had asked for a quiet table and were promptly seated in the back of the house - isolated from rest of diners - perfect! Our server was attententive and gave advice /suggestions since we had a vegan party in our group Wine selections very nice - the techno type music was kinda a dull throb in the background - but tolerable. we didn't have to raise/elevate or strain for conversations. Especially liked the fig in bacon and the vegetarian paella. Wish I had tried the meat/seafood one now. thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamieJamieDined on 6/10/2014The food was really delicious. The menu had so many choices, that we want to return to sample the others. A little on the noisy side, and our server was a bit rushed, but the food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great Spotfoodie4lifeDined on 6/7/2014I took my brother and his girlfriend here while they were visiting from out of town. We ordered all tapas/small plates to share. Everything was delicious except we weren't a huge fan of the baked brie. It was not quite what I was expecting. I also ordered the mango mojito, which was absolutely delicious. For the most part the waitstaff was pretty friendly and accommodating. Although we had asked if it was too late to cancel two of the remaining plates and was told it was too late, which is understandable. However, we could hear our waiter complaining to another employee about it so I thought that was a bit rude. The restaurant has a pretty romantic atmosphere and would be great for a date.Special Features:
- Great foodbarbaraDined on 6/6/2014Discovered this place when we were given a gift card last year and we've been going back a lot. Mostly tapas, some entrees, nice selection, good service, food consistently good.Special Features:
- exinkygalVIPDined on 6/5/2014One of the best small plates option for vegetarians. Delicious food. All items, except the chickpea sticks, are excellent. And the try one of each veg item for $75 flat fee is a great deal as well. Excellent drinks. We found this restaurant by luck when two other regular spots were booked solid. Glad we looked on Open Table!Special Features:
- Good food, chic spotbizzybeeDined on 6/3/2014Very small, but super cute.. Food and drinks were delish but a lil pricey.. Love the tables that are by the open window.. Went for a cousin's birthday dinner and will definitely return for happy hour and with the bf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceRichVIPDined on 6/3/2014We had a great dinner and will definitely be back! Try the paella...you'll love it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomevidaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great food, fun atmosphere. Crowded, but in a good way. We split the tapas between 6 people, great speciality drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great place for all agesFeliciainphillyDined on 5/30/2014We went for our anniversary in May and our son (26) recommended to us, he had his finance's bd party there in April - we loved it just as much as they did. We felt great we sat in the front window that opened to the street and relaxed, laughed, and ate...Lobster mac & cheese is awesome.... We will go again and again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDebbVIPDined on 5/28/2014Portions getting smaller Food tasteless Not up to parSpecial Features: