675 Lionshead Place
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://vailchophouse.com/
- Phone: 9704770555x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Après: Monday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Vail Chophouse is the perfect location for any event, large or small. Now located slopeside, at the base of the Gondola in Lionshead, the Chophouse not only provides a fabulous menu, but a magnificent atmosphere as well. Whether you are holding a business meeting, a mixer, or a wedding reception, the Vail Chophouse is the ideal local for groups of all kinds and sizes. For more information on, and pictures of, our banquet facilities please visit our website or contact our group sales coordinator, Gina Sprague.
- Private Party Contact: Marvin Melson 9704770555x
- Entertainment: Don't miss the mind-blowing performance of our in-house magician, Danny Archer! You truly won't believe your eyes. Disappearing nightly at the Vail Chophouse, 6:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday through Sunday.
- Cross Street: Arrabelle
- Public Transit: Buses make several stops throughout the Lionshead Village on a very regular basis. Transportation between Lionshead Village and the surrounding areas is very easy and accessible via the local public transit system.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking for our restaurant guests is available at the nearby Lionshead public parking structure.
A word from Vail Chophouse
Located slopeside, at the base of the Gondola in Lionshead, the Vail Chophouse sits amidst all of the action and all of the beauty of Vail Mountain. Serving a comprehensive lunch menu, featuring an assortment of soups, salads, sandwiches, and hot entrees, in addition to an incomparable dinner selection filled with fantastic steaks and fresh seafood; this restaurant melds delicious cuisine with stunning views, a welcoming staff and a luxurious atmosphere to create an unparalleled dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vail Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dismal Dining SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/12/2014Had the pre-season dining special. Restaurant nearly empty. Amateur level of cooking and cheap cut of meat. Not of the quality that would ever entice you to return.
- Pleasant Eveningmyrnabird57Dined on 10/4/2014Not crowded, not overly noisy, just about right. Very pleasant male server. Great special on prime rib. Food was nicely prepared. The Paso Robles zinfandel was really good. The waiter was very helpful in picking out this wine. We will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- A Must During Food WeekGluttonMeDined on 10/4/2014This was our first stop in attempts to eat at 5 different restaurants in 36 hours while in Vail for Dining at Altitude Food Week. It was absolutely the most amazing meal with 1.5 lb lobster and 10 oz ribeye with sides for $20.14 each. We ended up going back to our hotel after the meal because it was a perfect dinner with a view of the mountain, beautiful aspen, fully functional gondola up the mountain, and amazing service. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- RESTAURANT WEEK LOBSTEReaglebirdieDined on 9/26/2014Vail Chophouse was selected to try during Vail Restaurant Week 2014. This was the first time the four of us had been to this restaurant. The lobsters at $20.14 were the obvious draw. Staff were very busy handling the big crowd so they weren't quite as attentive as they could have been. We waited a long time for drinks and menus. We ordered four lobster dinner specials. One lobster came out not properly cleaned before it was cooked (it was leaking the green goo!) and the waiters didn't notice this nor ask if they were properly cooked...this detracted greatly from the appetizing and well-priced dinner! This goo and the watery contents of the lobster made the other food soggy on everyone's plate. The lobsters should have been drained first.Special Features:
- Go somewhere elseKathyfromVailDined on 9/19/2014The service was TERRIBLE - and the manager who displayed lack of attention, cared more about looking out the door at the ski slopes or visiting with the bartender. We were the 1st to arrive for the evening 615pm, then several other tables started to fill up, our orders were also 1st in. 2 Bone-In Ribeyes ($45 each), & a side of cream spinach. Steaks come out and the server asked if we needed anything else? Uh yes, our spinach. 10 min. later, my husbands steak was almost gone by this point and our spinach side dish finally arrives. Oh, I didn't mention, no re-fills on our water - nobody in site, but, the manager standing at the bar staring over the dining room, and then walking to the front door and gazing out. Are you kidding me !!!???
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014my sisters ordered the "sea bass" and didn't realize it was from Colorado Thought it could have been more done and they didn't really like the taste. i ordered steak it was great.Special Features:
- disappointingBusinessTraveler2VIPDined on 8/16/2014Except for the magician who entertained our teenage son a couple of times, our visit was disappointing. Even the view wasn't great despite being right at the bottom of the mountain - all you can see are the buildings for the gondola and chair lift, and our table was right next to the big picture windows. Food was not memorable, and service staff was mostly new and learning - nice, but not great. Will not return.Special Features:
- Not good at all.DinnertimeDined on 8/8/2014Four of us- Two ordered the special which was a trout and two ordered another fish on the menu. Started with caesar salad which was the first clue that things were not going to be good. The romaine lettuce was yellow to white color and had the flavor and smell of being from a package of greens which was old. All of the fish was fishy smelling and tasting and the sides (mashed potatoes and other potatoes seemed like they were made from old potatoes). Returned all four meals to the kitchen. Manager came over to see if there was something else they could get for us but we thought the food we had seen so far was so bad that we decided not to order anything else. They graciously took the meals off the bill. Ate cereal at home for dinner.
- Average at BestcrflfDined on 7/5/2014We were told by a former employee that the steaks were actually frozen and the seafood was a better option. Our seafood platter was excellent, but our son's trout was way too 'fishy' tasting. Others in our party had trout at other restaurants over the long weekend, none of which tasted 'fishy'. Also, the tables were iron lattice leaving gaping holes through which drippings from our seafood platter and beverages leaked through onto our clothes resulting in the need for dry cleaning. We had to ask for extra napkins to cover the table. We also had to ask for items such as silverware as our waiter took ours (as he should) after we finished our appetizer. Without the location and view, this restaurant would not make it. We won't be back.Special Features:
- DebrDined on 7/5/2014great vail outdoor dining, great food. sat outside on a wonderful evening. friendly staff, great service. we always visit vail chophouse when we're in Vail!Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Vail Chophouse reviews archive.
- What is Open Table doing?CuriousDined on 6/14/2014We requested a reservation for two at 6:00PM. Open table said the only available times were 5:30 and 7:00 PM. We chose 5:30 but were almost inspired to seek out another restaurant. We were at the Chop House at 6:00 and observed that the place was empty. Why did Open Table try to steer us to another restaurant? Why did you give us false information about the Chop House?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad but not memorable.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2014Not bad but not memorable. Salmon entree was very good. Crab cakes were average at best.
- Great Steakhouse!SharonDined on 3/18/2014Great steak steaks and fabulous desserts after a day on the slopes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip it unless you bring familyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2014I made reservations in the evening, thinking the crowd would be different in this "high end" restaurant, bringing my 17 year old grandson, who is very accustomed to fine dining. In a half empty restaurant, we were seated in the back room next to a pillar that blocked all view. We asked to be moved to a better table, and were accommodated, begrudgingly. (The restaurant never filled.) My grandson's MR strip steak was overcooked, and was sent back. The new steak arrived with a lecture that the previous steak was how they cooked MR. Being frequent fine diners, I was very surprised. We were not offered dessert. BTW I had a good bottle of wine, and tipped 30%--a waste. I have a home in Vail, and next time I'll go to Elway's.Special Features:
- Great Place To EatOpenTableUserVIPDined on 3/11/2014The salmon was very good and my son loved the NY strip. Great place in the middle of Lionshead right by the Eagle Bahn Gondola. Would definitely recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the chophouse! Had a reservation and seated ontime but never had a server or anyone come to our table for over 25 min! Finally the magician working that night noticed us just sitting there and came over and got us water and a person to take a drink order. We were never given a server really just a fly by when an available server had time! The magician was the only bright spot of the chophouse experience! Order was not delivered correctly and the supposed best steak recommended by the chef per the menu was over cooked and not that great of quality of steak for price. No Morton's, Ruth Chris, Silver Fox, etc.Special Features:
- Excellent Lionshead Restaurant!FoodieBobDined on 3/7/2014If you want an excellent meal with a great view of the Lionshead part of Vail Ski Resort, this is a great place to go. It's not very large but does have a lot of outdoor tables. Food and service was excellent and the prices were reasonable for an upscale resort like Vail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in VailMichaelDined on 3/6/2014Great restaurant. Our second time there and the food was excellent. Each dish had a little something extra that made it above average. Prices were reasonable for a high quality meal and a good selection. And the best thing for us was they served a vegetable with the meal that is hard to find while on vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed, but good foodNyoungDined on 2/20/2014We enjoyed our meal at the VCH. While the food was good, our waiter forgot our appetizer and we felt like they were rushing us through the dinner service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasty local meats; the jalapenoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/17/2014tasty local meats; the jalapeno and elk chorizo macs and cheese was good but not as spicy as we'd expected; the alpine buffalo meatballs were uniqueI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to eat if you don'tYummDined on 2/1/2014Good place to eat if you don't mind a lot of noise and crowds. There is a relatively long bar that you can sit at. Our filet and New York strip steaks were good, but pricey, considering they came a la carte. Salad was tasty. It was so loud, our server couldn't even hear us when we ordered and we and he had to shout at each other. Needless to say, we weren't able to have a conversation with each other. If you wish to eat here, make sure you have a reservation. We did, and were seated right away. Manager was dressed like he came from the farm. One waiter scraped food from all the plates (at a nearby table) on to another before taking them to the kitchen. Not a pretty sight! The hostess was dressed very nicely and was very professional.Special Features:
- had great ribeye..food wasstenterVIPDined on 1/7/2014had great ribeye..food was great.drinks were average service was good. would definatly returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pedestrian food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 12/30/2013We were very excited to try Vail Chophouse after a long day of skiing and we had made a reservation a long time in advance for what we had hoped to be a special night. The food was not very good and way over priced (even for Vail). Considering we thought the highlight of the meal was the bread and that the signature mac and cheese dish was better than the steak we were served at a steak house, this meal was a complete disappointment. Overall the service was terrible, food was dropped off at our table, no one asked if everything was to our liking, we weren't asked if we wanted another round of drinks until we were done on our meal, the service was just lacking basic funadmentals. We will not patornize this establishment again.
- Ambience nice but $32 pieceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2013Ambience nice but $32 piece of prime rib so tough you could barely cut it. Very expensive for what you got. Wait staff attentive and magician nice touch.Special Features:
- Great fish!HansDined on 12/30/2013Had the ancho rubbed salmon and the Colorado bass.....both proportions were perfect and the seasoning awesome. With fish like this , who needs chops?Special Features:
- I was disappointed. The saladrobertfriedDined on 12/29/2013I was disappointed. The salad had too much dressing, the oysters (which were supposed to be charred) were coolish and my steak was fair.
- Nice apres ski dinner at Vail ChopAnnieDined on 12/29/2013My two young adult daughters and husband and I enjoyed a special night out at Vail Chophouse on our ski vacation. We had to take a 5:15 reservation as it was Christmas week and very crowded at the resort but we were hungry after skiing. We were seated by a window with a nice view of the slopes. The food, atmosphere, and service were all great. It is pricey but what isn't in Vail? We were even entertained by a magician. We saw a large group with young children who seemed happy but I would more likely lean towards a pizza place with young kids. We ordered the least expensive bottle of Cabernet on the wine list for $45 and it was good; they had a long wine list with some bottles over $300 which I would hope are notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service. ForOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013Good food and service. For the price, I expected more ambience - white table clothes.- especially because it was dinner. Our server was very knowledgeable and helpful with the wine list.Special Features:
- Dinner AT Chop HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013My daughter and I so enjoyed our dinner - mine the veal 'lolly-pops'; hers the grilled salmon. Her response was "this is one of the best meals I have ever had'!!Special Features:
- Poor service and good under seasoneDineeout42VIPDined on 12/22/2013We went to the Chop House hoping for a nice atmosphere and great steak. Unfortunately even though we had a reservation the say us in the back in a make-shift table right by the server station. Our wait staff was too busy with large tables to give us hardly any attention. Food too forever and was under seasoned, I would not recommend this place for a romantic dinner as they seem to prioritize large parties.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2013The slow service is what stands out. We went for dinner on a Friday night (during off season) and certainly expected much more attention than we ended up getting. The restaurant was not busy, many empty tables. It was my sister-in-laws 40th birthday and we wanted this to be a special occasion. It is a real shame the service was so slow because that is the lasting impression of Chophouse Vail. We were ready to order more wine/drinks after dinner and ended up waiting so long we decided to pay out and go elsewhere. The experience at Chophouse BC was totally different, in a good way.
- Excellent Lobster!Cholland7811VIPDined on 10/6/2013We went for Restaurant Week, and got the 1.5 lb lobster. It was excellent! The crab meat was different - more like a weird crab cake, which we don't usually care for (as opposed to plan crab meat). All in all, an excellent experience! Wonderful bread, too!Special Features:
- bwcawabwcaDined on 10/4/2013My wife and I enjoyed our meal The bread was ht and fresh. The potatoes were very tasty and the Prime Rib was really good. It wasn't the best Prim Rib I've had but it was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great kids' menu - mahi mahi,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2013Great kids' menu - mahi mahi, steak and baked potato, love all of the healthy choices! During the week in season, there is a tableside magician. Check the website for times but he was very entertaining.Special Features:
- DON'T go here if you want good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/16/2013If I could give Vail Chophouse no star, I would. 2 words: Horrible management. This was THE worst restaurant in all of Vail. The food was a disaster. The only edible food were the raw oysters - not made at the restaurant. We ordered 3 bottles of wine, 4 steaks, 2 prime ribs, 1 salmon & 7 sides. The prime ribs came out like shoe leather even though they were ordered medium. The steaks were so tough with tendons throughout the pieces. The salmon was OK at best. The MANAGER was the worst part. He brought out our first bottle of champagne with glasses. He broke a glass on our table and the pieces flew all over the lap of a man in our party. He didn't even apologize. He said my friend was a "troublemaker" and left the table. Just ridiculous.
- IgnoredTomDVIPDined on 3/16/2013Visited this restaurant twice and it was a Jekyll and Hyde situation. The first visit was good and the second was awful. The wait staff on our second visit just plain ignored us.
- Kind of small place. We wentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/6/2013Kind of small place. We went early. Should have expected this, but three tables had children sitting at them. All three tables, children were noisy, crying, etc. I really don't understand taking children to a high end eating establishement, such as this. The The food was excellent. Service very good. Ambiance due to children was poor.
- Birthday dinnerColoradoVisitorDined on 3/1/2013Food portions extreme. Paid for 12 oz prime rib, half of which was fat. No smaller portion of this item. Very pricey just because it sits at base of ski slope. Dessert selection limited. Front desk not real friendly. Perhaps they did not get out to ski that day. Scenic view is only good for lunch time.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2013Great wine, great steak, great oysters. Just what I expectedSpecial Features:
- Turn down the lightsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013I was really looking forward to eating at the Chop House. The location could not be better right at the bottom of the Gondola walking distance to my condo etc. The problem I had was the place was lit up like a Christmas tree. When I asked if they could lower the lighting they did but turned it back up 5 minutes later because the 19 year old hostess couldn't see the reservation book. Really? Get a lamp! The place has so much potential, however it was like eating in a cafeteria. Go here for the apres ski it is amazing. If you are looking for a romantic dinner this is not the Steak house to go to....Special Features: