New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vairestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2123624500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Vincent Chirico
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are accepting reservations for holiday parties. Please inquire with restaurant.
A word from Vai Restaurant
A great meal is not just about the food and wine. A great meal is not just one that fills you up. A great meal opens up your senses and introduces you to new tastes. What we choose to do at Vai is take the simple act of eating, an ordinary activity, and make it extraordinary. Our staff will make your visit an amazing experience. Vai, which means "go" in Italian, is a beautiful space, warm atmosphere, filled with people who care. We will treat you as a guest in our home. Sit, relax, breathe...let us take care of you. Let us create a memory.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Vai Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Vai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (63)great for outdoor dining (34)romantic (28)special occasion (27)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (13)hot spot (10)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Really good food but too crampednnovikVIPDined on 10/19/2014The food we had was all really good and a pleasure to eat, and the space is charming. Unfortunately, it is also tiny, there is no coatroom, and as a party of two we were crammed in between two parties of four and there was just not enough room. While seated I apologized/was apologized to for jostling five times in the less than one hour we were there. In addition, there was a live guitarist tucked into a corner playing amplified music in this tiny space and it was literally impossible to have a conversation. We ate our meal quickly, refused dessert, and got out.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLeeBVIPDined on 10/16/2014This is one of our neighborhood go to's. Fun vibe, awesome food! The octopus appetizer was amazing and my striped bass was fantastic! My daughter had the lobster risotto with truffle. Almost fell over at the price but it was INCREDIBLE!! My only complaint is that it's a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seating issuesChelseaVIPDined on 10/16/2014going for an early meal, with a reservation, to an empty restaurant the two of us were led to a back, corner table close to stinky greasy fumes from the kitchen. we asked for another table and were reluctantly given one, but not the one we preferred. the place never got full. wine were overpriced with small protions, but the food was really nice. service was scatty. overall not worth going back to in such an overloaded avenue of restaurants.
- Great ExperiencetristeandlawrenceVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our first time here after a show at The Beacon - greeted like we were old friends, very warmly - dining space is crowded - service was friendly and attentive though informal - food was INCREDIBLE - Pork, Scallops and Salmon were real standouts. Bread and dessert were good but not standouts like the rest of the meal. Great drinks and wine service was professional and knowledgeable - we will definitely go back. A great value for what you get in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner spot on UWSDrBassDined on 10/11/2014Read the reviews and wasn't disappointed. Service, food and dining expererience were superb in a warm and cozy atmosphere. From being greeted by the owner/chef to our waiter who was excellent and the sommelier who was very attentive, food was simply prepared but the flavors popped in our octopus and mushroom appetizers and veal chop and seafood risotto. Spanish cabernet sauvignon was excellent too. Highly recommend this neighborhod gem!Special Features:
- Delicious!HblondVIPDined on 10/11/2014Really great food, excellent service! Three course brunch was perfect :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ability to handle a crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014Warm friendly meal as we descended on this restaurant. They were gracious as we came in waves to eat at a nice neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:
- always a great meal!TinaDined on 10/9/2014We had another wonderful evening at Vai -- delicious food, wonderful service, surprise treats from the chef. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Perfect to the last biteFoodfordaysDined on 10/9/2014Took my boyfriend here to celebrate and it was perfect. The food was so delicious that we left not a single bite over. Expensive but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food4meVIPDined on 10/7/2014Excellent food, very accomodating service, a real treat. Based on a good experience last year, a friend and I had dinner at Vai before attending a show at the Beacon. We had arrived a little late due to traffic, but the service was great, we were on time, and really enjoying the marvelous pris fixe three course dinner. When cofee was delayed and we only received one cup, not two, the chef comped the coffee and also gave us a complementary dessert. Over all, delicious food, a professional attitude and a positive experience. I will definitely return and highly recommend Vai.Special Features:
- Mondays are quietTonyDined on 10/6/2014I've been to Vai twice. The food is always very good. One time was a weekend and we had a very long wait and it was so noisy that it was difficult to talk (small place, brick walls, enthusiastic diners). The second time was a Monday night, and it was a completely different experience. Relaxed and quiet.Special Features:
- great diningnycfoodie1Dined on 10/6/2014great dining experience best in the neighborhood inventive excellent food great cocktailsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014i made a reservation for 8PM, my table was not available because the diners before us ran late. Was given a free glass of white while we waited, but ended up finally being seated at the bar around 8:30. Great food, disorganized front of house.Special Features:
- Impeccable EverytimejsighDined on 9/27/2014Nothing compares to the Burrata ravioli, which is rich and delectable every single time. The prime rib was cooked to perfection and the artichokes were delicious and crispy, a perfect texture balance with the creamy parsnip purée. Usually I choose from the amazing wine list but opted to try the passion fruit margarita. It was refreshing, sweet and spicy all at the same time. To top it off, the service was beyond exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like tasting menu but rushed us!RayUWSVIPDined on 9/24/2014Participating in a tasting menu allows you to taste several wonderful items but the problem with the experience at Vai was that the servers started bringing food at a rapid pace, which ruins the evening. I had to tell them to slow it down and should have done so when we first ordered. Short of that, the food was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So wonderful,we went back again!KJbellDined on 9/19/2014We made 8PM reservations for a Friday night, because we wanted a place that was walking distance from our place for the weekend. WOW! What an experience! It was totally packed (Friday night in NYC)! and very loud with chatter, but we were seated quickly in this small intimate place and looked after by an expert staff. The food was worth the decible level. The Branzino was superb. So, 2 nights later after walking around looking at places, we decided that Vai had to be it again, so we waited ever so little for an outside table to empty and were treated as royalty for the second time! This time my husband had the Branzino, and I had the 2 specials... the warm asparagus appetizer and the scallops over turnip polenta. Again, superb!Special Features:
- DeliciousDOITVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great service and food to match. The proprietor, Vincent, goes out of his way to ensure that every detail is as near perfect as possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT AGAINnycfoodie1Dined on 9/15/2014BEEN HERE SERVERAL TIMES FOOD INCREDIBLY CONSIS EXCELLENT GREAT EXPERIENCE OVERALLSpecial Features:
- Will go backFirsttryDined on 9/11/2014We were there for lunch, it was very quiet. Food is good, service was perfect, the waitress was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but very noisy insideOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is excellent, and the high rating is only because we sat outside. The inside is so noisy that, in spite of the great cooking, we will never come here when the weather prevents outside dining.Special Features:
- A great surprisestevenycVIPDined on 9/4/2014I chose Vai based on location for a dinner with a couple of friends. The place was great. Food excellent, wine list was small but well varied, the brick walls and candles made for a warm environment. The service was attentive but reserved. Overall, a place to which I will gladly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a GemFrankieDined on 9/4/2014Vai continues to impress us. Our waitress was lovely, the food was divine. We dine early, so noise level was not an issue. It's still a gem in the wasteland of Upper West Side restaurants.Special Features:
- Terrific foodFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Vai stands out for its fresh twists on classic fare. The complimentary tasting-size appetizer features white bean salad and silky hummus. Salads include peach slices, veal chop comes with sauce sparked by truffles oil, fried fresh artichokes are a stand-out side with crispy whole branzino. Even the music was good.Special Features:
- terrible service & limited menulivinginManhattanDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant seated us on time. Drinks were good. The menu is very limited and for someone with dietary issues, that was a challenge. The service was terrible for such a high-end and small restaurant. My adult daughter and I were ignored and treated as if the waitress wished we would go away. the people around us seemed to be served and treated far more attentively by other staff. A dish for two was shown on the menu with its per person cost -- but the "pp" was in tiny letters next to the price. It only comes for two -- why not show the actual price??? In short, not a place I would recommend or to which I would return.Special Features:
- Food was fantasticjoefoodDined on 8/23/2014Came here before a show at the Beacon- the restaurant was pretty empty, but we got our pick of a table, choosing a great table by the window. Also, the staff was very attentive, and very helpful with recommendations. Drinks were replenished quickly, food arrived at a perfect pace. Everyone loved their appetizers particularly the octopus, Brussels sprouts, and salad with peaches and ricotta. The entrees were also wonderful, and the portions were just the right size. The complimentary pot au creme and chocolates were the perfect finishing touch. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceKackyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Picked Vai because of location and read pretty good reviews on various sites. Our table wasn't great (right by the kitchen) but there were 8 of us so we couldn't be too picky. Our waiter was Tyler. Tyler made a good restaurant experience an exceptional one. From start to finish, Tyler was helpful, patient, professional and paid attention to detail. Our food was very good. With 8 at the table there was opportunity to try many dishes. I tried the grilled octopus, the burrata ravioli, branzino, artichokes and brussel sprouts. All were great dishes. I would definitely go back again especially if I could request Tyler as my waiter. He was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- just wonderfulnycfoodie1Dined on 8/6/2014wonderful experience all around food is very unique and creative yet not intimidating very generous with little extras throughout the mealSpecial Features:
- OutstandingprincessldhDined on 8/6/2014I came here on a date. My date and I can not stop raving about how delicious the food was. I chose the Chef's Tasting menu which came with 3 courses and had the Hamachi, the Charred Octopus and the Salmon. I can not pick which plate of the three course meal I liked the most. They all had exceptional flavors to them. The service was as great as the food. My server had an answer to all my questions and was very knowledgeable about the menu. I really love that it is a small and intimate spot. I will recommend this restaurant to all my foodie friends.Special Features:
- would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014A little disappointed that some of the entrees listed on the sample menu weren't available. Attentive service. We were outdoors, so the ambience and noise were as expected.Special Features:
- Great findYanikDined on 8/2/2014The food is amazing, best Bronzini I ever had, defiantly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyNurhanBVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was good but over all it was VERY noisy which made it impossible to hold a normal conversation.
- Good food, but noisyEudoraDined on 7/31/2014Have eaten here several times and each time I like it less. The main course does not come with any sides. The owner/chef spends his time walking around in the restaurant taking drink orders and seating people and not in the kitchen. The noise level inside makes it impossible to have a normal conversation.Special Features:
- Terrific UWS spotedEdVIPDined on 7/30/2014Wonderful, welcoming French Mediterranean adds to the few gems on the UWS. the food is great and the service all one could ask for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/28/2014It was my birthday so we went for the chef's menu which was a great value at $49pp. The buratta ravioli with truffle and mushrooms was wonderfully rich . The veal ragout was delicious and had a nice finish with fresh parsley. The crudo fish was excellent both the tuna and hamachi tartare and the ceviche which had a nice kick of spice. Whole branzino in brown butter and veal chop with parsnip purée and trumpet mushrooms were the main event and were every bit as delicious as they sound. We were so full we could only manage a shared dessert which was fresh mini donuts and a white chocolate sauce. Just because they care, the chef sent us a delisious ramikin of almond custard and later some house made dark chocolates. So, all in all, excellent.Special Features:
- Nicely surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed the food at Vai.considering how many restaurants are in the neighborhood, this one stood out. The food was perfectly cook. The chef/ owner is very attentive to everyone. My only comment would be that the appetizers were very tasty but too small. We would definitely come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow VaiDrazenDined on 7/25/2014We dined at this restaurant many times, in this and its prior location. The innovative and outstanding food have been the hallmark of this small but excellent restaurant. Very friendly service that really cares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!RLW24VIPDined on 7/25/2014Everyone in this restaurant made us feel so welcome. The food was excellent and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously good!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014This was our second time to Vai, and food just keeps getting better! Thank you to the entire staff for making us feel special and thank you so much to Vince and the chef for amazing food. From the drinks to the desert, everything was perfect. So thankful we found this restaurant in our neighborhood, will be our "go to" from now on :)Special Features:
- 3rd time just as charmedDiningLineVIPDined on 7/19/2014Once again, we arrived with friends who, unlike us, had not yet dined here and we all left in total agreement that this is some of the best food on the UWS. A true clean plate club!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS local treasurefoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014wonderful food, good service and nice atmosphere but can get too noisy and make for difficult conversationSpecial Features: