New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vairestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2123624500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Vincent Chirico
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are accepting reservations for holiday parties. Please inquire with restaurant.
A word from Vai Restaurant
A great meal is not just about the food and wine. A great meal is not just one that fills you up. A great meal opens up your senses and introduces you to new tastes. What we choose to do at Vai is take the simple act of eating, an ordinary activity, and make it extraordinary. Our staff will make your visit an amazing experience. Vai, which means "go" in Italian, is a beautiful space, warm atmosphere, filled with people who care. We will treat you as a guest in our home. Sit, relax, breathe...let us take care of you. Let us create a memory.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Vai Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Vai Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (76)great for outdoor dining (42)romantic (32)special occasion (31)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (18)great for lunch (17)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- terrible service & limited menulivinginManhattanDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant seated us on time. Drinks were good. The menu is very limited and for someone with dietary issues, that was a challenge. The service was terrible for such a high-end and small restaurant. My adult daughter and I were ignored and treated as if the waitress wished we would go away. the people around us seemed to be served and treated far more attentively by other staff. A dish for two was shown on the menu with its per person cost -- but the "pp" was in tiny letters next to the price. It only comes for two -- why not show the actual price??? In short, not a place I would recommend or to which I would return.Special Features:
- Food was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Came here before a show at the Beacon- the restaurant was pretty empty, but we got our pick of a table, choosing a great table by the window. Also, the staff was very attentive, and very helpful with recommendations. Drinks were replenished quickly, food arrived at a perfect pace. Everyone loved their appetizers particularly the octopus, Brussels sprouts, and salad with peaches and ricotta. The entrees were also wonderful, and the portions were just the right size. The complimentary pot au creme and chocolates were the perfect finishing touch. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceKackyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Picked Vai because of location and read pretty good reviews on various sites. Our table wasn't great (right by the kitchen) but there were 8 of us so we couldn't be too picky. Our waiter was Tyler. Tyler made a good restaurant experience an exceptional one. From start to finish, Tyler was helpful, patient, professional and paid attention to detail. Our food was very good. With 8 at the table there was opportunity to try many dishes. I tried the grilled octopus, the burrata ravioli, branzino, artichokes and brussel sprouts. All were great dishes. I would definitely go back again especially if I could request Tyler as my waiter. He was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- just wonderfulnycfoodie1Dined on 8/6/2014wonderful experience all around food is very unique and creative yet not intimidating very generous with little extras throughout the mealSpecial Features:
- OutstandingprincessldhDined on 8/6/2014I came here on a date. My date and I can not stop raving about how delicious the food was. I chose the Chef's Tasting menu which came with 3 courses and had the Hamachi, the Charred Octopus and the Salmon. I can not pick which plate of the three course meal I liked the most. They all had exceptional flavors to them. The service was as great as the food. My server had an answer to all my questions and was very knowledgeable about the menu. I really love that it is a small and intimate spot. I will recommend this restaurant to all my foodie friends.Special Features:
- would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014A little disappointed that some of the entrees listed on the sample menu weren't available. Attentive service. We were outdoors, so the ambience and noise were as expected.Special Features:
- Great findYanikDined on 8/2/2014The food is amazing, best Bronzini I ever had, defiantly be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyNurhanBVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was good but over all it was VERY noisy which made it impossible to hold a normal conversation.
- Good food, but noisyEudoraDined on 7/31/2014Have eaten here several times and each time I like it less. The main course does not come with any sides. The owner/chef spends his time walking around in the restaurant taking drink orders and seating people and not in the kitchen. The noise level inside makes it impossible to have a normal conversation.Special Features:
- Terrific UWS spotedEdVIPDined on 7/30/2014Wonderful, welcoming French Mediterranean adds to the few gems on the UWS. the food is great and the service all one could ask for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/28/2014It was my birthday so we went for the chef's menu which was a great value at $49pp. The buratta ravioli with truffle and mushrooms was wonderfully rich . The veal ragout was delicious and had a nice finish with fresh parsley. The crudo fish was excellent both the tuna and hamachi tartare and the ceviche which had a nice kick of spice. Whole branzino in brown butter and veal chop with parsnip purée and trumpet mushrooms were the main event and were every bit as delicious as they sound. We were so full we could only manage a shared dessert which was fresh mini donuts and a white chocolate sauce. Just because they care, the chef sent us a delisious ramikin of almond custard and later some house made dark chocolates. So, all in all, excellent.Special Features:
- Nicely surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed the food at Vai.considering how many restaurants are in the neighborhood, this one stood out. The food was perfectly cook. The chef/ owner is very attentive to everyone. My only comment would be that the appetizers were very tasty but too small. We would definitely come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow VaiDrazenDined on 7/25/2014We dined at this restaurant many times, in this and its prior location. The innovative and outstanding food have been the hallmark of this small but excellent restaurant. Very friendly service that really cares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!RLW24VIPDined on 7/25/2014Everyone in this restaurant made us feel so welcome. The food was excellent and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously good!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014This was our second time to Vai, and food just keeps getting better! Thank you to the entire staff for making us feel special and thank you so much to Vince and the chef for amazing food. From the drinks to the desert, everything was perfect. So thankful we found this restaurant in our neighborhood, will be our "go to" from now on :)Special Features:
- 3rd time just as charmedDiningLineVIPDined on 7/19/2014Once again, we arrived with friends who, unlike us, had not yet dined here and we all left in total agreement that this is some of the best food on the UWS. A true clean plate club!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS local treasurefoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014wonderful food, good service and nice atmosphere but can get too noisy and make for difficult conversationSpecial Features:
- nycfoodie1Dined on 7/18/2014excellent small restaurant interesting flavors reasonable price look forward to returning soonSpecial Features:
- It was betterblikkemDined on 7/17/2014I've visited Vai in the past with great results. This time not so much. While the Sea Bass and the filet Mignon was good. The short rib that came with the filet was mostly fat, the whole Benzino was prepared with a lot of butter and the Oyster Mushroom appetizer had too much going on. We waited a too long after ordering 2nd round of drinks (10 minutes) then my friend's diet coke was flat and the replacement had too much carbonation and no syrup. We then had to remind them to take the drink off the bill. While they were very friendly and took it off right away, I remembered the service and the food much better in the past. I'll try again to see if this was just a bad night, it was very disappointing for me and my out of town friends.Special Features:
- terrific foodemmenewyorkDined on 7/12/2014Interesting menu with high quality ingredients and a warm host (the owner) makes vai a fanstic restaurant. It is a neighborhood gem, but the food is good enough to make it a destination restaurant. Basic side dishes like 'Brussels sprouts', have a little twist that make them memorable. My husband and I both recalled the tuna avocado appetizer the next morning with fondness. :) Don't miss the burrata ravioli. The only element that holds it back from being a destination restaurant is the decor; which is fine, just not sexy.Special Features:
- Why dine elsewhereFoodsterVIPDined on 7/11/2014There is no reason to look further than Vai for fresh inventive dishes. Chef/Owner Vincent is in the kitchen and oversees every detail of his restaurant. The food is excellent, the menu evolves and the staff is attentive and lovely, especially Julia. On our most recent visit, the heirloom tomato salad appetizer was superb as was the charred octopus. The seasonal entree striped bass was beautifully prepared as was the burata. Vai is compelling. Why dine elsewhere?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, sweet but slow serviceevrgreen1VIPDined on 7/7/2014Great pick in the neighborhood. Lovely fresh and inventive mediterranean food. Room is small and can be loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK. Not great, but OK.GsDwnHllFstDined on 7/5/2014Had the veal pappardelle. Was pretty good, but the other three people at my table didn't find their choices to be special in any way - vegetarian ravioli, Branzino, etc. Waiter was great, but food was just OK. Don't understand why so many others rated it so highly.
- WonderfulSImonVIPDined on 6/29/2014The food here was wondrous. I had veal fillet mignon over parsnip purée with shaved truffles. It was expensive, but look at what I ordered. Overall, nothing to complain about.Special Features:
- Always spectacularNYDinerVIPDined on 6/29/2014I eat here frequently with friends, and we have always loved it. Took my whole family, including adult children, and was not disappointed. Both generations raved about food and service. It's a small restaurant, and the inside can be acoustically a bit "challenging," meaning loud. Eating outside also can be a bit loud sometimes, with traffic. But those minor inconveniences are more than made up by both food and service, both of which are impeccable. We had four different appetizers, four different entrees, and two deserts--All fabulous. Their little complimentary sweet treats at the end just complete an impeccable meal. Great dining.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to expectationsNewyorkerVIPDined on 6/27/2014I looked forward to the dinner at Vai but unfortunately the restaurant did not live up to expectations. The food was okay - the pasta dish was very rich with too much cream sauce and too much speck. The salad dressing was very acidic and burned my taste buds. The setting is lovely and the patrons were enjoying a nice evening at outdoor tables. The restaurant is very accommodating of strollers.
- Amazing!IbdatplayaDined on 6/23/2014Excellent food and excellent service! One of my favorite spots in NYC. Would highly recommend ordering several dishes for the table for everyone to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2014Great menu items but everything we had was oversalted. Service was great however with very attentive and friendly waitstaff.
- VaiOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/19/2014As always we had a great meal at Vai. Vincent, the chef and proprietor is always attentive and friendly as is his staff. I highly recommend Vai to anyone looking for an excellent meal, good service, no drama!Special Features:
- one of the best on the UWS!dinewithtinaDined on 6/15/2014We love coming to Vai. Unlike most of the restaurants on Amsterdam in the 70s and 80s, it focuses on food, not the bar scene, so it's a great place for those of us outside the bar-hopping demo -- or who want a place to do something other than drink. The food is delicious and reasonably priced, the service is caring and thoughtful. We live about 12 blocks away, but it's well worth the walk!Special Features:
- Personal, Professional ServiceKHB323Dined on 6/14/2014While Vai might be known for their fresh fare, we were given such wonderful personal attention last Saturday night, we'll be coming back for more special events, and the occasional night out in the neighborhood. My family was visiting, and they sat all 6 of us at the chef's table, talked us through the menu, made wine suggestions, and were attentive when they needed to be, but let us catch up as well. The night was capped off by a birthday surprise - the chef sent a present to our table (for me!), and we all split a delicious french lemon tart with a candle in it. A birthday dinner to remember!Special Features:
- ISPROUDVIPDined on 6/13/2014Very accommodating re our request to try outdoors after rain. Dried our table/chairs. Enjoyed the quieter outside.Special Features:
- foodyfunDined on 6/11/2014Love the food, great chef and atmosphere. Whenever in NY it is one of my go to places.Special Features:
- A New Neighborhood StapleezduzitVIPDined on 6/11/2014I believe Vai is fairly new and in a great location on UWS so I wanted to try it. Scheduled a lunch with a colleague and it was fantastic. It wasn't a ladies lunch so we couldn't linger, and I appreciated the waitstaff checking with us at the beginning whether this would be the standard 1 hour lunch or longer so they could properly time the service. The food and menu make me think this must be an amazing place for dinner, but for lunch the portions were perfectly small and they have a three course prix fixe for $29. The hamachi tartare with avocado was a great start. The grilled octopus was tasty and was supposed to be spicy but had a tad too many red pepper flakes. The salmon main course made me want to try all the fish on the menu!Special Features:
- LovelyBobbiBVIPDined on 6/8/2014I had a great time there last weekend so I’ll be there again this weekend!Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2014I enjoyed it. Excellent food. Nice to have a place where you can go late after eventsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentThe40girlsDined on 6/7/2014Great dinner with friend. The service was perfect. Good choices of wine. Great fish and crudo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VAIPensFanVIPDined on 6/6/2014my fourth time here and consistenly received great service the food was amazing and delicious cocktails are priceySpecial Features:
- SUPERBFoodsterVIPDined on 6/3/2014Vai continues to be the best restaurant on the Upper West Side, and among the finest in the city. I have eaten at Vai countless times and find the quality of the food excellent. The menu is creative and seasonally evolving. I most recently had the swordfish with market to table vegetables. The cut was thick, generous and cooked to temperature. A mushroom appetizer was awesome, as were some "permanent" superb dishes; hamachi duo (appetizer) and beef duo (main.) The staff, taking the lead from owner/chef Vincent is attentive yet unobtrusive. The overall generosity extends throughout as witnessed by the full pours of individual glasses of wine.Special Features:
- All around solid restaurantdandbeatsDined on 6/3/2014We went as a group of 7. It was my first time there. Great mock-tails, loved the concise menu and presentation of food program. Ordered several apps: both crisp were excellent; the kale salad was really well executed, the Bibb salad was underdressed with what I hoped to be a delicious Gorgonzola dolce dessing; Burrata was yummy of course. For entrees the beef duo was fantastic as was the pasta with veal ragu... The remainder of our party ordered fish which they enjoyed--branzino and striped bass. Definitely going back to try the octopus and more of the weekly specials. A step up from the neighborhood competition--and maybe even preferred to Celeste's???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.