Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
1511 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vadevi.com/
- Phone: (925) 979-0100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Andy Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
Va de Vi translates to "It's all about wine!" in Spain's Catalan language. Of course, it's all about food, too! Executive Chef Andy Phillips' menu encourages diners to explore and share a variety of eclectic, international small plate portions. Bold tastes encourage diners to explore the large international wine list, easily navigated by tasting notes. Many wines are offered by the glass in addition to pre-arranged flights to allow diners to compare different wines and discover new favorites. A warm, casual elegance defines the ambiance. Outdoors, dine under an ancient oak tree or grab a table in the picturesque lane.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (137)great for outdoor dining (135)notable wine list (112)special occasion (84)neighborhood gem (76)great for lunch (74)romantic (71)hot spot (46)vibrant bar scene (27)good for groups (25)great for brunch (23)late-night find (15)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- We enjoyed a relaxing, welcoming & delicious time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014We were meeting old friends who had moved away from the Bay Area a few years ago. Our dining experience was great. The service was well paced and we never felt rushed. The cocktails were good and the food excellent. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas...a great idea, location, and fantastic foodWidebodyDined on 11/22/2014Va De Vi...a "10" in the pool of resturants in the Bay Area located in the center of Walnut Creek. The perfect combination of fantastic food, great wine selection, inside and out door seating, never a break in service with a well trained staff. It's a dining experience that you have to try...you'll be back again and again. Our party of four last Saturday tried 12 dishes including two desserts and a flight of wine...nothing to take home and we were stuff. From the Kale salad, the Brussel sprout, the Pommes fries, the Butternut squash risotto, the Pork Mole tacos, the Braised short ribs, the Lechon (a must try), the Ceviche aquachile, the Ahi tartare, the Alaskan black cod to the Profiteroles and the Chocolate souffle...all soooooooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is top notch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I would recommend this place to all of my friends that want to have a fine glass of wine couple with unique tasting plates. The ambiance is nice. The service is great. The atmosphere is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always.JessicaDined on 11/21/2014I come here quite often, and always end up leaving full and happy. I love the variety of the menu, and the seasonal flavors. The only downside of our experience was a long wait between food and dessert - the waitress waited til we were done eating to put in our dessert request which has a 15 minute advance notice. Overall, another great meal and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service, tight seatingTablefor2Dined on 11/19/2014This was our first time here and it was for an anniversary. The ambiance was nice, the waitress was friendly and the food was good. I enjoyed the tapas style servings as we were able to enjoy a number of different foods together. The only downside was the cramped seating and noise of the restaurant. We had a table of 6 to our right and a table of 2 to our left and felt like we could have been apart of either group. We were close enough to reach over and take a sample of whet they had. This may be on purpose given the tapas style menu but it was a little too close for what was supposed to be a more intimate celebratory night for two. We really enjoyed the food as well as the service and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Very busy, active scene - lots of fun! The starter salad was a little disappointing, but the brussel sprouts and chicken tagine knocked it out of the park! We had a great time and would absolutely recommend to friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExplorerexplorerVIPDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I have eaten at Va de Vi a number of times and have never been disappointed. Their food is unique and soooooo good. Starting with their $3 soup "shot" to their dessert, every item is served hot or very cold, depending on the item. We love the small plates so we can sample a number of items and share them between us. The menu is constantly changing although they keep some items, such as the macaroni and cheese, but they change the meat that is included. We love this dish. I highly recommend Va de Vi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for lunch and a glass of wineNanaJoDined on 11/15/2014The burger and panini ordered by our friends were great. Our lamb meatballs and short rib were less remarkable. Our waitress was so understanding about our leisurely pace since we're were reconnecting with friends from years ago. We sat in the alley seating which was cozy except for the sun shining directly in our eyes. Moving an umbrella would have helped, but there were none available. I'd definitely use OpenTable again since Va Di Vi seems busy. We'll give them another try when in the area so we can explore the varied menu more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Second Visit...RJAllanDined on 11/14/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our first visit here, so it's disappointing that our second visit was far less enjoyable. During our first visit, the service was superior, the small plates were very enjoyable, and the wine list was excellent. On this visit, our server (Justin) was poor. He never greeted us (I had to greet HIM!), one of our orders was clearly not submitted as I saw him place it after we inquired why it had not come out with the rest of our initial order, and his general demeanor was unfriendly. Much of the food this time was greasy and overseasoned; VERY different from the light, flavorful dishes we enjoyed on our first visit. The wine choices are still excellent and we very much enjoyed being exposed to the new, interesting wines offered in their flights. I must say that the best part of our second visit was the gentleman who cleared our table repeatedly. He was polite, prompt, energetic and (although he was working extremely hard) cheerful with us. The tip I left as a courtesy should have gone to him! We drove more than 20 miles in Friday night traffic to get to Va de Vi, expecting the same enjoyable visit as our first time. After this second time, I don't know that I'll try too hard to get there again.Special Features:
- Good food, service, not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/13/2014Nice staff who accommodated my friends tardiness. Wait staff waited too long to request our choices.n Coffee was luke warm to start with and refills were cold. We were there for 2 hours (including dessert and after dinner drinks). THat was a bit too long for us even if we appreciated not being rushed. What you call energetic I call poor acoustics. Could hardly hear each other over the table. I heard more from the person sitting next to me at another table I have been there for lunch many times, ate outside and it was a wonderful experience. this indoor dining.....well I wouldn't go back.
- Still good, a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2014Consistently good quality fare. The dishes keep coming; no significant wait between dishes. Some items a bit pricey for what you get, other items reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutEmilyDined on 11/9/2014The sisters of the vine and I went for dinner here. Did a couple of flights, 4 tapas, and dessert. All outstanding. We ate outdoors and it was perfect. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a great experiencemommydarkDined on 11/8/2014I have patronized Va de Vi several times now and have not been disappointed. The food is always delicious, the service excellent, and the wine and cocktails never fail to please. Whether it's a romantic dinner with my husband or dinner with friends, we always enjoy the food, drink, and service. We will definitely be back again and again.Special Features:
- ServiceGTRSVIPDined on 11/6/2014Food is good but getting old. Been going here for years. Needs a change. Our server was terrible un attentive busy chatting with staff. Bus boys do all the lifting. Wine list is solid as always.Special Features:
- Great for gltuen-free patronsglutnfreegrlDined on 11/6/2014I ordered from the gluten-free menu and the food was delicious. Great wine options to do wine flights. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portions, small flavorgrumpylampDined on 11/2/2014Went there for a birthday dinner with a group of 4. We ordered about 12 different items, and then dessert. I'm all for subtle flavors and light meals but with the exception of the lamb meatballs I cannot recall what anything tasted like. That is simply because it all tasted about the same. Adding olive oil and a spice does not make a memorable flavor, but that seems to be the best they can do. Coupled with the crowded table arrangement - take a table out and make some more space - and the hallway like room this place is insufferable to me. Maybe getting a table outside, with some space, some air and less noise would help, but avoid the inside seats.Special Features:
- Average FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/1/2014Besides the average tasting food the service was mediocre at best. Bread came after the appetizer mixed with one of the main courses; all out of sequence. Waitress comments was: "Yes, bread should have come out first" ; so who's job is that???Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/30/2014Review is written following a meal eaten outdoors; the noise level can be quite different indoors, especially in the front near the bar.Special Features:
- Never disappointedStupid1Dined on 10/26/2014We have never been disappointed coming to Va de Vi for dinner. We have even brought out of town guests because it is such an impressive restaurant. We will continue to come back for many more dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Any occasion hot spot!MrZmanDined on 10/22/2014Va De Vi is a spot that will work for any occasion. I've been there for dinner and lunch. At lunch time it's a subdued crowd, you can sit in or out and it's perfect for a nice couples outing. The lunch menu is very good with wine. The scene changes at night for a more crowded, noisy, but vibrant atmosphere. It can be tough to get into at night starting on Friday (reservation needed), but it's worth the wait. The service is excellent, especially at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/20/2014We had the beet salad, pomme frites, lechon and steak. All were tasty and enough for us to have a little taste of each. We could've ordered one more dish but knew we wanted to have dessert. We tried two wine flights - the Pink Lady and Pinot Grigio flights - which were all wonderful. They went great with our meal. We also had the 4- sampler dessert platter which was a great way to try all the desserts. The bread pudding and chocolate souffle were our favorites. It's been sometime since we dined here but it still delivers as a great place to enjoy food and conversation.Special Features:
- Lovely SpotLaHabraCookieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Wish it was a bit warmer so we could have sat outside. The patio area is very pretty. Tried wine flights and tapas. All good.Special Features:
- Excellent Anniversary Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Celebrates our 3rd anniversary at the same spot we had our first (blind) date. Food is creative and delicious enough for any foodie! Wine list is extensive enough for a range of palates and prices. Romantic place whether dining inside or out. High on the list of favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014Poor parking during Walnut Creek construction. Slow service, not coordinated between bar and food. Food came before wine flights were delivered and had to specifically ask for the wine a second time. Staff too eager to pull plates away from table, reaching over a couple times to remove plates before we were done. Very annoying. What's the rush? Food was good but average.Special Features:
- Think twice about birthday lunchroseDined on 10/8/2014I am a regular customer. Hosting a birthday lunch for a good friend.Hostess was very nice, gave us a great seat in the shade by the oak tree.Told her we were celebrating birthday of my friend. She acknowledged it. So far so good. We ordered first tapa cheeses.This came on a little round plate with 2 slices of bread and 2 crackers with 2 small cheeses.The last time I ordered the same thing, it was on a long plate esthetically placed with several choices of bread and crackers. Waitress didn't come back to check on us for 20 minutes when she did she rushed us on ordering the next tapa. We ordered several. She never came back, some other person brought our food.No birthday comp dessert was given.Every time I have gone before dessert was compSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great start, but...anniversaryduoDined on 10/5/2014Early-ish Sunday dinner. Nice wine selection and three-taste "flight" is fun. The best part of the meal was the first dish: a shot of gespacho -- absolutely delicious! Other dishes were just slightly off -- brussel sprouts were salty, shrimp lumpia was bland (and too bulky), ahi tuna had little flavor -- which created an overall "don't have to do this again" conclusion.Special Features:
- Unique spotDiscoBayArtDined on 10/5/2014A unique spot in Walnut Creek with a menu of small plates with something to please everyone..Lots of wines by the glass to choose from..Service is excellent ..Outside dining is pleasant.Inside is a little noisySpecial Features:
- Surprising goodWinoVIPDined on 10/3/2014I thought it will be just another tapas place but it is a California Asian fusion tapas. The devil eggs and lechon is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!Love2EatOutVIPDined on 9/28/2014I love this place! I love the small dishes and also find them reasonably priced for such a nice restaurant. It's a fun way to eat, share, and get to try different items. Great wine flights! I always choose this place for a fun celebration. Service is always good and very friendly.
- Small Plates to SavorFood4thoughtDined on 9/28/2014This is a unique restaurant in Walnut Creek, a city filled with diverse restaurants. The small plates are intended to be shared, enabling all at the table to take a nibble of each dish. There is a great advantage to this, as it allows one to experience at once several of the delicious dishes Va de Vi has to offer. Or, alternatively, one can order just one or two dishes if dining alone and be quite content with that repast. There is a good selection of wines, and one can experience a taste of several different wines with the offered wine flights.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014We love this place, lots of small dishes and great wine flights.... We order lots of dishes, the only ones that were a bit disappointing were the chard and the burrata, which was a very small piece of cheese with 4 slices of bread.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014Once again a winner! Brought out of town guests and they loved it too.Special Features:
- FirsttimedinerDined on 9/24/2014We have had several very entertaining lunches with friends at Va de Vi. Just a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014The chicken tacos were amazing! Would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- fabulous bday lunch dateLuvmylife75Dined on 9/22/2014This place is a hiding gem. Love the food, wine and great outdoor seating. It's always a pleasure to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KMfoodiedocVIPDined on 9/14/2014Not particularly creative, however a nice place to dine. I would not consider this a foodie spot.Special Features:
- Amazing pork belly, good service!ODIEDined on 9/13/2014Very nice lunch and we had an excellent flight of Red wines. Very responsive hostest and staff. Not a low cost lunch but with wine it makes sense why our bill was close to $80. I enjoyed the atmosphere and bar layout, makes one comfortable if dining inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineSusanGDined on 9/12/2014We had an overnight, out of town stay in Walnut Creek so made reservations at the highly recommended Bistro. We had a table for two on their beautiful, romantic patio area. Waitress was attentive, but not intrusive. Had four small plates, all delicious and good portions to share. Also had two wine flights which were good and not over priced. Loved the restaurant and will definitely recommend to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- Good choice for foodJanetDined on 9/12/2014It can become a bit pricey, with small portions but all nicely presented and very tasty ...nice wine list, by the glass option is ample! Service is good, little plates removed, replaced with clean plates. Enjoyable ambiance ...Special Features:
- year after year YUMMMMhoneybadgerVIPDined on 9/7/2014VADAVE just keeps on getting better. Three of us enjoyed a great bottle of sparkling rose, and seven small plates, loved each one.I would like to see a few new dessert entrées however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.