Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
1511 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vadevi.com/
- Phone: 9259790100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Andy Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
Va de Vi translates to "It's all about wine!" in Spain's Catalan language. Of course, it's all about food, too! Executive Chef Andy Phillips' menu encourages diners to explore and share a variety of eclectic, international small plate portions. Bold tastes encourage diners to explore the large international wine list, easily navigated by tasting notes. Many wines are offered by the glass in addition to pre-arranged flights to allow diners to compare different wines and discover new favorites. A warm, casual elegance defines the ambiance. Outdoors, dine under an ancient oak tree or grab a table in the picturesque lane.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (135)fit for foodies (125)notable wine list (100)special occasion (83)neighborhood gem (77)romantic (75)great for lunch (70)hot spot (43)vibrant bar scene (30)great for brunch (26)good for groups (26)scenic view (16)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Still a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/20/2014We had the beet salad, pomme frites, lechon and steak. All were tasty and enough for us to have a little taste of each. We could've ordered one more dish but knew we wanted to have dessert. We tried two wine flights - the Pink Lady and Pinot Grigio flights - which were all wonderful. They went great with our meal. We also had the 4- sampler dessert platter which was a great way to try all the desserts. The bread pudding and chocolate souffle were our favorites. It's been sometime since we dined here but it still delivers as a great place to enjoy food and conversation.Special Features:
- Lovely SpotLaHabraCookieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Wish it was a bit warmer so we could have sat outside. The patio area is very pretty. Tried wine flights and tapas. All good.Special Features:
- Excellent Anniversary Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Celebrates our 3rd anniversary at the same spot we had our first (blind) date. Food is creative and delicious enough for any foodie! Wine list is extensive enough for a range of palates and prices. Romantic place whether dining inside or out. High on the list of favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014Poor parking during Walnut Creek construction. Slow service, not coordinated between bar and food. Food came before wine flights were delivered and had to specifically ask for the wine a second time. Staff too eager to pull plates away from table, reaching over a couple times to remove plates before we were done. Very annoying. What's the rush? Food was good but average.Special Features:
- Think twice about birthday lunchroseDined on 10/8/2014I am a regular customer. Hosting a birthday lunch for a good friend.Hostess was very nice, gave us a great seat in the shade by the oak tree.Told her we were celebrating birthday of my friend. She acknowledged it. So far so good. We ordered first tapa cheeses.This came on a little round plate with 2 slices of bread and 2 crackers with 2 small cheeses.The last time I ordered the same thing, it was on a long plate esthetically placed with several choices of bread and crackers. Waitress didn't come back to check on us for 20 minutes when she did she rushed us on ordering the next tapa. We ordered several. She never came back, some other person brought our food.No birthday comp dessert was given.Every time I have gone before dessert was compSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great start, but...anniversaryduoDined on 10/5/2014Early-ish Sunday dinner. Nice wine selection and three-taste "flight" is fun. The best part of the meal was the first dish: a shot of gespacho -- absolutely delicious! Other dishes were just slightly off -- brussel sprouts were salty, shrimp lumpia was bland (and too bulky), ahi tuna had little flavor -- which created an overall "don't have to do this again" conclusion.Special Features:
- Unique spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014A unique spot in Walnut Creek with a menu of small plates with something to please everyone..Lots of wines by the glass to choose from..Service is excellent ..Outside dining is pleasant.Inside is a little noisySpecial Features:
- Surprising goodWinoVIPDined on 10/3/2014I thought it will be just another tapas place but it is a California Asian fusion tapas. The devil eggs and lechon is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Plates to SavorFood4thoughtDined on 9/28/2014This is a unique restaurant in Walnut Creek, a city filled with diverse restaurants. The small plates are intended to be shared, enabling all at the table to take a nibble of each dish. There is a great advantage to this, as it allows one to experience at once several of the delicious dishes Va de Vi has to offer. Or, alternatively, one can order just one or two dishes if dining alone and be quite content with that repast. There is a good selection of wines, and one can experience a taste of several different wines with the offered wine flights.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014We love this place, lots of small dishes and great wine flights.... We order lots of dishes, the only ones that were a bit disappointing were the chard and the burrata, which was a very small piece of cheese with 4 slices of bread.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014Once again a winner! Brought out of town guests and they loved it too.Special Features:
- FirsttimedinerDined on 9/24/2014We have had several very entertaining lunches with friends at Va de Vi. Just a wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014The chicken tacos were amazing! Would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- fabulous bday lunch dateLuvmylife75Dined on 9/22/2014This place is a hiding gem. Love the food, wine and great outdoor seating. It's always a pleasure to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KMfoodiedocVIPDined on 9/14/2014Not particularly creative, however a nice place to dine. I would not consider this a foodie spot.Special Features:
- Amazing pork belly, good service!ODIEDined on 9/13/2014Very nice lunch and we had an excellent flight of Red wines. Very responsive hostest and staff. Not a low cost lunch but with wine it makes sense why our bill was close to $80. I enjoyed the atmosphere and bar layout, makes one comfortable if dining inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineSusanGDined on 9/12/2014We had an overnight, out of town stay in Walnut Creek so made reservations at the highly recommended Bistro. We had a table for two on their beautiful, romantic patio area. Waitress was attentive, but not intrusive. Had four small plates, all delicious and good portions to share. Also had two wine flights which were good and not over priced. Loved the restaurant and will definitely recommend to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- Good choice for foodJanetDined on 9/12/2014It can become a bit pricey, with small portions but all nicely presented and very tasty ...nice wine list, by the glass option is ample! Service is good, little plates removed, replaced with clean plates. Enjoyable ambiance ...Special Features:
- year after year YUMMMMhoneybadgerDined on 9/7/2014VADAVE just keeps on getting better. Three of us enjoyed a great bottle of sparkling rose, and seven small plates, loved each one.I would like to see a few new dessert entrées however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceMargaretMusicDined on 9/6/2014Lovely ambience. Interesting food Great outdoor dining But this this last time, very in attentive service. Waitress never came back to ask if we wanted to order more wine. We had to track her done. She was aloof and preoccupied. Not sure I'd want to return any time soon. Managers consistently fail to realize how important it is to hire the right people. What a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O.K. EveningHappyVIPDined on 9/6/2014The wine we enjoyed was very good. The night was quite cool and there were no heat lamps on the deck. The food was just o.k. Fries were limp and the tomatoe salad had little cheese. Expected more.Special Features:
- Va de Vi Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Our party of four loved everything we ordered. My mac and cheese with sausage was super delicious. Excellent wine flights -- always fun. This is where I go for a special meal.Special Features:
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Va de Vi continues to be a good spot for tapas. We had the pork belly and mac and cheese. I don't think I'd get the mac and cheese again, it is average, but there are far better items on the menu. Drinks were excellent! For dessert we had the blondie, I think it would add alot of texture to put chocolate chips in it. It was good, but slightly lacking. The apple tart with gelato was delicious. It took a while to be greeted by our server, but after the initial delay, the service was good.Special Features:
- BostongalDined on 9/3/2014It wasn't our first visit but we have enjoyed it every time. I would not recommend it for groups - we were four and that seemed perfect for the small plates. Their food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingManiDined on 8/30/2014We had reserved two tables for 4 people and at the last minute two friends canceled. We called the restaurant just an hour before our reservation time and they managed to accommodate all of us in a table of six. From the beginning they showed good attitude and willingness to make the last minute changes.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningPhillyFoodieDined on 8/29/2014We love Va de Vi, the wine flights are great, the small plates are consistently delicious, the outdoor ambiance is fun and beautiful. We've had date nights here, as well as fun get together with larger groups of friends, everyone is always happy with the food, drinks and overall experience. We'll definitely be back, it's one of our favorite Walnut Creek spots.Special Features:
- A favorite in Walnut CreekEZPZLSDined on 8/29/2014Outdoor dining that was comfortable and relaxing; I shared the kale salad with figs, and wish I had ordered one just for me! The roasted alaskan black cod over a potato cake was cooked just enough to still be juicy and sweet with a hint of orange. A great meal that left me satisfied and looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryrocorDined on 8/26/2014We loved every moment, every bite of every dish we ordered. It was a very special evening.Special Features:
- GREAT PLACE!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014THE OUTDOOR LOCATION AROUND THE LARGE TREE IS FABULOUS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE WEATHER IS RIGHT! LOVE THIS PLACE!Special Features:
- casual al frescoUCity63Dined on 8/24/2014For a very pleasant outdoor dining experience in Walnut Creek, this place is great. Small plates are all packed with a flavor punch. Many are outstanding. Everything worked on this visit.Special Features:
- More fun when you shareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I really appreciated the quiet patio, we could converse easily. All the food was delicious and the wine flights are fantastic. The patio seating and attentive service made for the most enjoyable dining experiences I have had in a long time. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/23/2014Great for a weekend outdoor relaxing lunch/tapas. The food was good and the waitress was very friendly, nice and she made time to assist with pics and all.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodF1fanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Always noisy, always good food and always an excellent selections of wines, we have been to Va de Vi several times and will continue to go on occasion. The small plates are very good and easily shared, and can be ordered as the meal goes on. They offer several different recommended flights, but one can make one's own flight, or simply order by the glass. The wines are priced the same per oz so two 3 oz tastings equal one 6 oz glass. Parking nearby is difficult but is available about 2 blocks away in the multi-level shopping center lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early DinnerJeriDined on 8/22/20144 of us were there for an early dinner after shopping. All but one of us had been here before. We experimented around the menu. Especially enjoyed the Risotto, but the Zucchini Blossoms, Cheese selection and Cauliflower were also great.Special Features:
- Fab Food Findlive2eatDined on 8/20/2014Came here to celebrate our sister's b'day. Ordered 2 appetizers (treviso risotto & tempura fried squash blossoms) & we each ordered a small plate entree (potato knocchi, braised beef short rib, chicken ting tacos & lechon (crispy pork belly) & took our server's advice & ordered the dessert sampler for 2 (mini versions of chocolate souffle, blueberry bread pudding, strawberry claufoutis & profiteroles), which was more than enough for 4 after sharing all the small plates. Have been here w/my husband & loved their wine list & intimate atmosphere. The outdoor dining area is lovely, but on nice days, you'd better come early! Service is discreet, efficient & friendly & we appreciated their recommendations.Special Features:
- delishyummyDined on 8/19/2014omg, grilled peaches, and street tacod were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodGloriousFoodDined on 8/17/2014The small plates are portioned between an appetizer and an entree, allowing you to sample several exquisite tastes in one sitting. The chicken tagine was divine. I would definitely recommend Va De Vi to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For food loversLuvlindscoDined on 8/16/2014Loved the ambiance eating outside with my girlfriend. She is passionate about food as well I am. She is very interested in watching the cooks in action and wants to go to culinary school to become a chef at CIA in San Francisco. You gave great ideas for her when she opens her own placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates under a large oak treeTableHopperDined on 8/16/2014We have experienced Va de Vie a number of times and we love the oak deck under the large tree, especially in early evening. Our server, Whitney, though very busy, was very efficient. I'm always amazed at how fast the food comes out of the kitchen, always properly chilled or piping hot, as appropriate, and always wonderfully delicious. I was disappointed that the Tiger Prawns were not still on the menu and the BBQ Beef Ribs did not come as I remembered. The wine choices are marvelous, Rombauer Merlot by the 3 or 6 oz. glass, and many other equally exquisite Estate bottle wines. Wine flights and pairing is easy with the 3 oz. menu. Two suggestions, be seated in a shady spot, and forget the prices, order a lot of small plates, enjoySpecial Features:
- Will returnPeteDined on 8/10/2014Great setting, interesting tasty tapas. A winner and deserves a return visit.Special Features: