Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
1511 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vadevi.com/
- Phone: 9259790100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Andy Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
Va de Vi translates to "It's all about wine!" in Spain's Catalan language. Of course, it's all about food, too! Executive Chef Andy Phillips' menu encourages diners to explore and share a variety of eclectic, international small plate portions. Bold tastes encourage diners to explore the large international wine list, easily navigated by tasting notes. Many wines are offered by the glass in addition to pre-arranged flights to allow diners to compare different wines and discover new favorites. A warm, casual elegance defines the ambiance. Outdoors, dine under an ancient oak tree or grab a table in the picturesque lane.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (158)fit for foodies (137)notable wine list (109)special occasion (103)neighborhood gem (93)romantic (91)great for lunch (76)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (35)great for brunch (33)good for groups (28)late-night find (20)scenic view (19)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- KMfoodiedocVIPDined on 9/14/2014Not particularly creative, however a nice place to dine. I would not consider this a foodie spot.Special Features:
- Amazing pork belly, good service!ODIEDined on 9/13/2014Very nice lunch and we had an excellent flight of Red wines. Very responsive hostest and staff. Not a low cost lunch but with wine it makes sense why our bill was close to $80. I enjoyed the atmosphere and bar layout, makes one comfortable if dining inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineSusanGDined on 9/12/2014We had an overnight, out of town stay in Walnut Creek so made reservations at the highly recommended Bistro. We had a table for two on their beautiful, romantic patio area. Waitress was attentive, but not intrusive. Had four small plates, all delicious and good portions to share. Also had two wine flights which were good and not over priced. Loved the restaurant and will definitely recommend to anyone visiting the area.Special Features:
- Good choice for foodJanetDined on 9/12/2014It can become a bit pricey, with small portions but all nicely presented and very tasty ...nice wine list, by the glass option is ample! Service is good, little plates removed, replaced with clean plates. Enjoyable ambiance ...Special Features:
- year after year YUMMMMhoneybadgerDined on 9/7/2014VADAVE just keeps on getting better. Three of us enjoyed a great bottle of sparkling rose, and seven small plates, loved each one.I would like to see a few new dessert entrées however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceMargaretMusicDined on 9/6/2014Lovely ambience. Interesting food Great outdoor dining But this this last time, very in attentive service. Waitress never came back to ask if we wanted to order more wine. We had to track her done. She was aloof and preoccupied. Not sure I'd want to return any time soon. Managers consistently fail to realize how important it is to hire the right people. What a shame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- O.K. EveningHappyVIPDined on 9/6/2014The wine we enjoyed was very good. The night was quite cool and there were no heat lamps on the deck. The food was just o.k. Fries were limp and the tomatoe salad had little cheese. Expected more.Special Features:
- Va de Vi Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/4/2014Our party of four loved everything we ordered. My mac and cheese with sausage was super delicious. Excellent wine flights -- always fun. This is where I go for a special meal.Special Features:
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Va de Vi continues to be a good spot for tapas. We had the pork belly and mac and cheese. I don't think I'd get the mac and cheese again, it is average, but there are far better items on the menu. Drinks were excellent! For dessert we had the blondie, I think it would add alot of texture to put chocolate chips in it. It was good, but slightly lacking. The apple tart with gelato was delicious. It took a while to be greeted by our server, but after the initial delay, the service was good.Special Features:
- BostongalDined on 9/3/2014It wasn't our first visit but we have enjoyed it every time. I would not recommend it for groups - we were four and that seemed perfect for the small plates. Their food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingManiDined on 8/30/2014We had reserved two tables for 4 people and at the last minute two friends canceled. We called the restaurant just an hour before our reservation time and they managed to accommodate all of us in a table of six. From the beginning they showed good attitude and willingness to make the last minute changes.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningPhillyFoodieDined on 8/29/2014We love Va de Vi, the wine flights are great, the small plates are consistently delicious, the outdoor ambiance is fun and beautiful. We've had date nights here, as well as fun get together with larger groups of friends, everyone is always happy with the food, drinks and overall experience. We'll definitely be back, it's one of our favorite Walnut Creek spots.Special Features:
- A favorite in Walnut CreekEZPZLSDined on 8/29/2014Outdoor dining that was comfortable and relaxing; I shared the kale salad with figs, and wish I had ordered one just for me! The roasted alaskan black cod over a potato cake was cooked just enough to still be juicy and sweet with a hint of orange. A great meal that left me satisfied and looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryrocorDined on 8/26/2014We loved every moment, every bite of every dish we ordered. It was a very special evening.Special Features:
- casual al frescoUCity63Dined on 8/24/2014For a very pleasant outdoor dining experience in Walnut Creek, this place is great. Small plates are all packed with a flavor punch. Many are outstanding. Everything worked on this visit.Special Features:
- More fun when you shareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I really appreciated the quiet patio, we could converse easily. All the food was delicious and the wine flights are fantastic. The patio seating and attentive service made for the most enjoyable dining experiences I have had in a long time. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodF1fanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Always noisy, always good food and always an excellent selections of wines, we have been to Va de Vi several times and will continue to go on occasion. The small plates are very good and easily shared, and can be ordered as the meal goes on. They offer several different recommended flights, but one can make one's own flight, or simply order by the glass. The wines are priced the same per oz so two 3 oz tastings equal one 6 oz glass. Parking nearby is difficult but is available about 2 blocks away in the multi-level shopping center lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early DinnerJeriDined on 8/22/20144 of us were there for an early dinner after shopping. All but one of us had been here before. We experimented around the menu. Especially enjoyed the Risotto, but the Zucchini Blossoms, Cheese selection and Cauliflower were also great.Special Features:
- Fab Food Findlive2eatDined on 8/20/2014Came here to celebrate our sister's b'day. Ordered 2 appetizers (treviso risotto & tempura fried squash blossoms) & we each ordered a small plate entree (potato knocchi, braised beef short rib, chicken ting tacos & lechon (crispy pork belly) & took our server's advice & ordered the dessert sampler for 2 (mini versions of chocolate souffle, blueberry bread pudding, strawberry claufoutis & profiteroles), which was more than enough for 4 after sharing all the small plates. Have been here w/my husband & loved their wine list & intimate atmosphere. The outdoor dining area is lovely, but on nice days, you'd better come early! Service is discreet, efficient & friendly & we appreciated their recommendations.Special Features:
- delishyummyDined on 8/19/2014omg, grilled peaches, and street tacod were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodGloriousFoodDined on 8/17/2014The small plates are portioned between an appetizer and an entree, allowing you to sample several exquisite tastes in one sitting. The chicken tagine was divine. I would definitely recommend Va De Vi to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For food loversLuvlindscoDined on 8/16/2014Loved the ambiance eating outside with my girlfriend. She is passionate about food as well I am. She is very interested in watching the cooks in action and wants to go to culinary school to become a chef at CIA in San Francisco. You gave great ideas for her when she opens her own placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates under a large oak treeTableHopperDined on 8/16/2014We have experienced Va de Vie a number of times and we love the oak deck under the large tree, especially in early evening. Our server, Whitney, though very busy, was very efficient. I'm always amazed at how fast the food comes out of the kitchen, always properly chilled or piping hot, as appropriate, and always wonderfully delicious. I was disappointed that the Tiger Prawns were not still on the menu and the BBQ Beef Ribs did not come as I remembered. The wine choices are marvelous, Rombauer Merlot by the 3 or 6 oz. glass, and many other equally exquisite Estate bottle wines. Wine flights and pairing is easy with the 3 oz. menu. Two suggestions, be seated in a shady spot, and forget the prices, order a lot of small plates, enjoySpecial Features:
- Will returnPeteDined on 8/10/2014Great setting, interesting tasty tapas. A winner and deserves a return visit.Special Features:
- special occasionmarcusDined on 8/9/2014wonderful Dinner at Va de vi, we had dinner with our Daughter & her fiance, we arrived 30-minuters early however we were seated right away. Dinner was very good, our food kept coming as it was prepared so that was perfect as we were sharing our food among the four of us. we had the "Best" server (katie). This is our 2nd time visiting Va de Vi. I would highly recommend this very nice Restaurant in Walnut CreekSpecial Features:
- Solid food & serviceyumyum1Dined on 8/9/2014Heard this resto is one of the best in the area, we were not disappointed. Food=excellent, wine flights=cool idea,service by both waitress &busboy was impeccable.Only downside is the host/hostess station (an impt one!) 1)it's just inside the one door where people serving the outside tables are going in/out, so it's hard to feel welcomed b/c you're having to get out of the way; 2) b/c the hosts (there were 3 standing there) made you feel like the place was so overbusy that you would only get in at the exact moment of your reservation (when there were tables glaringly open) - seems like they want to live up to the hype of being in demand. (This is also the attitude received when trying to get in without a res. in the past)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 8/9/2014Always a pleasure to have a meal here. The short ribs on polenta are especially memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun cocktailsBellaDivaDined on 8/9/2014I don't drink wine all the time, and enjoyed the specialty cocktails. Food was outstanding and friendly service. Parking is not the best, but the lot around the corner is fine. The tables are a little close together, but it was so busy, every table matters.Special Features:
- Foodies ParadiseroseDined on 8/8/2014Beautifully prepared food with an extravagant wine list.Special Features:
- Just like SpainStupid1Dined on 8/7/2014The food is outstanding. We've had Tapas in Spain and Va de Vi is as good as the original. The patio behind is very special. Quiet and private. Our favorite place to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Anniversay StopthecobbDined on 8/3/2014I brought my girlfriend here for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. The food was excellent and the portions were just right for the two of us to be able to try several of the dishes. The cheese dish we ordered at the end of the meal was excellent and we'd highly recommend the Barrata cheese starter. The service was also really good and the Alaskan black cod was some of the best I've ever had. My girlfriend doesn't usually like seafood but she loved the crab cake and also thought the black cod was good. Definitely would come back here.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014This was our third time dining with Va da Vi. Great service and food. We will be back.Special Features:
- Love this placeCarribeantrvlrVIPDined on 7/27/2014I always come here for special lunches and it is always great for bdays and romantic dinners. The food is very tasty, inventive and the wine tasting is fun. Come for the cute outdoor seating and stay for the lava cake! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect restaurant spotBillVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food is always superbly prepared and fresh. The servers are very knowledgable about the food preparation. The portions are small and perfect for sharing. We ended up eating there twice over the weekend while visiting. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSRMomDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I chose this place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Our server was very friendly and the meal was going great until we reached the dessert course. My husband found a screw...yes a metal screw...in his blondie. We were relieved since he did not bite or swallow it. The waitress was apologetic and took away our partially eaten desserts. She brought our check 5 minutes later and informed us that our desserts had been comped. While that was nice I was very disappointed because I feel that due to us not making a big stink they just comped our desserts which we didn't even eat. They should have comped our entire meal and given us something to get us to come back. I won't be going back.Special Features:
- love the wine flights, small platesWeekendDadDined on 7/26/2014Thr wife and I had a very enjoyable 2 hour dinner on our anniversary. Our only complaint was her Paloma Rosa cocktail, which we thought was too bitter. The food is excellent, and the staff serves it at a slow pace--perfect for conversation. The 3-glass wine flights add to the fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Unique!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014These tapas are innovative and made with high quality, fresh ingredients. The name is Catalan, but the food is not old school. The chef does not oversalt, which I greatly appreciated. The chicken tagine was exquisitely spiced. We also loved the fresh corn dish. It is pricey, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing with friends and familySherDined on 7/25/2014Every plate we tried not only had a stunning presentation, but was simply delicious. We tried quite a few tapas on the menu. A special beet salad, yummy squash blossoms, the best mac and cheese, tasty tare tare, chicken tacos, amazing shrimp lumpia, scrumptious pork belly on rice, tasty chicken dish, 2 amazing desserts and more-all just lovely. Our waitress was wonderful! She was always right there to serve and take great care of us. Delicious food, fine wine, amazing service, with comfortable outdoor seating. So Relaxing..Perfect evening with family and friends..life is good! Some say it is a bit pricy for tapas. I feel if you enjoy really good food, fine wine, great service, and relaxing, then you get what you pay for at Va de Vi Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...hmoreDined on 7/24/2014Everything was great about our experience here except I had to beg for service. We waited 15 minutes before they took our drink order and then I had to beg for a return visit from our waiter. After that, things improved and we sailed through the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful patio diningwecreationsDined on 7/24/2014We went here for lunch and had a variety of the small plates. All were very different but good. Service was good. The best thing was the ambiance of the lovely deck outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.