Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
1511 Mt. Diablo Blvd.
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vadevi.com/
- Phone: 9259790100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday- Sunday: 11:30pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Andy Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar
Va de Vi translates to "It's all about wine!" in Spain's Catalan language. Of course, it's all about food, too! Executive Chef Andy Phillips' menu encourages diners to explore and share a variety of eclectic, international small plate portions. Bold tastes encourage diners to explore the large international wine list, easily navigated by tasting notes. Many wines are offered by the glass in addition to pre-arranged flights to allow diners to compare different wines and discover new favorites. A warm, casual elegance defines the ambiance. Outdoors, dine under an ancient oak tree or grab a table in the picturesque lane.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Walnut Creek ›
Va de Vi Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (163)fit for foodies (141)notable wine list (112)special occasion (102)neighborhood gem (95)romantic (92)great for lunch (85)hot spot (40)great for brunch (36)vibrant bar scene (32)good for groups (29)scenic view (20)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (10)Show More
- Very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We had reserved two tables for 4 people and at the last minute two friends canceled. We called the restaurant just an hour before our reservation time and they managed to accommodate all of us in a table of six. From the beginning they showed good attitude and willingness to make the last minute changes.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningPhillyFoodieDined on 8/29/2014We love Va de Vi, the wine flights are great, the small plates are consistently delicious, the outdoor ambiance is fun and beautiful. We've had date nights here, as well as fun get together with larger groups of friends, everyone is always happy with the food, drinks and overall experience. We'll definitely be back, it's one of our favorite Walnut Creek spots.Special Features:
- A favorite in Walnut CreekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Outdoor dining that was comfortable and relaxing; I shared the kale salad with figs, and wish I had ordered one just for me! The roasted alaskan black cod over a potato cake was cooked just enough to still be juicy and sweet with a hint of orange. A great meal that left me satisfied and looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryrocorDined on 8/26/2014We loved every moment, every bite of every dish we ordered. It was a very special evening.Special Features:
- casual al frescoUCity63Dined on 8/24/2014For a very pleasant outdoor dining experience in Walnut Creek, this place is great. Small plates are all packed with a flavor punch. Many are outstanding. Everything worked on this visit.Special Features:
- More fun when you shareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014I really appreciated the quiet patio, we could converse easily. All the food was delicious and the wine flights are fantastic. The patio seating and attentive service made for the most enjoyable dining experiences I have had in a long time. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early DinnerJeriDined on 8/22/20144 of us were there for an early dinner after shopping. All but one of us had been here before. We experimented around the menu. Especially enjoyed the Risotto, but the Zucchini Blossoms, Cheese selection and Cauliflower were also great.Special Features:
- Fab Food Findlive2eatDined on 8/20/2014Came here to celebrate our sister's b'day. Ordered 2 appetizers (treviso risotto & tempura fried squash blossoms) & we each ordered a small plate entree (potato knocchi, braised beef short rib, chicken ting tacos & lechon (crispy pork belly) & took our server's advice & ordered the dessert sampler for 2 (mini versions of chocolate souffle, blueberry bread pudding, strawberry claufoutis & profiteroles), which was more than enough for 4 after sharing all the small plates. Have been here w/my husband & loved their wine list & intimate atmosphere. The outdoor dining area is lovely, but on nice days, you'd better come early! Service is discreet, efficient & friendly & we appreciated their recommendations.Special Features:
- delishyummyDined on 8/19/2014omg, grilled peaches, and street tacod were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodGloriousFoodDined on 8/17/2014The small plates are portioned between an appetizer and an entree, allowing you to sample several exquisite tastes in one sitting. The chicken tagine was divine. I would definitely recommend Va De Vi to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For food loversLuvlindscoDined on 8/16/2014Loved the ambiance eating outside with my girlfriend. She is passionate about food as well I am. She is very interested in watching the cooks in action and wants to go to culinary school to become a chef at CIA in San Francisco. You gave great ideas for her when she opens her own placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates under a large oak treeTableHopperDined on 8/16/2014We have experienced Va de Vie a number of times and we love the oak deck under the large tree, especially in early evening. Our server, Whitney, though very busy, was very efficient. I'm always amazed at how fast the food comes out of the kitchen, always properly chilled or piping hot, as appropriate, and always wonderfully delicious. I was disappointed that the Tiger Prawns were not still on the menu and the BBQ Beef Ribs did not come as I remembered. The wine choices are marvelous, Rombauer Merlot by the 3 or 6 oz. glass, and many other equally exquisite Estate bottle wines. Wine flights and pairing is easy with the 3 oz. menu. Two suggestions, be seated in a shady spot, and forget the prices, order a lot of small plates, enjoySpecial Features:
- Will returnPeteDined on 8/10/2014Great setting, interesting tasty tapas. A winner and deserves a return visit.Special Features:
- special occasionmarcusDined on 8/9/2014wonderful Dinner at Va de vi, we had dinner with our Daughter & her fiance, we arrived 30-minuters early however we were seated right away. Dinner was very good, our food kept coming as it was prepared so that was perfect as we were sharing our food among the four of us. we had the "Best" server (katie). This is our 2nd time visiting Va de Vi. I would highly recommend this very nice Restaurant in Walnut CreekSpecial Features:
- Solid food & serviceyumyum1Dined on 8/9/2014Heard this resto is one of the best in the area, we were not disappointed. Food=excellent, wine flights=cool idea,service by both waitress &busboy was impeccable.Only downside is the host/hostess station (an impt one!) 1)it's just inside the one door where people serving the outside tables are going in/out, so it's hard to feel welcomed b/c you're having to get out of the way; 2) b/c the hosts (there were 3 standing there) made you feel like the place was so overbusy that you would only get in at the exact moment of your reservation (when there were tables glaringly open) - seems like they want to live up to the hype of being in demand. (This is also the attitude received when trying to get in without a res. in the past)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 8/9/2014Always a pleasure to have a meal here. The short ribs on polenta are especially memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun cocktailsBellaDivaDined on 8/9/2014I don't drink wine all the time, and enjoyed the specialty cocktails. Food was outstanding and friendly service. Parking is not the best, but the lot around the corner is fine. The tables are a little close together, but it was so busy, every table matters.Special Features:
- Foodies ParadiseroseDined on 8/8/2014Beautifully prepared food with an extravagant wine list.Special Features:
- Just like SpainStupid1Dined on 8/7/2014The food is outstanding. We've had Tapas in Spain and Va de Vi is as good as the original. The patio behind is very special. Quiet and private. Our favorite place to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceMikeCDined on 8/6/2014Had a gift certificate. Waitress recommended good dishes and friendly staff. Good food and good setting. Nice when sun goes down and patio lights are on.Special Features:
- Excellent Anniversay StopthecobbDined on 8/3/2014I brought my girlfriend here for our anniversary and couldn't have been happier. The food was excellent and the portions were just right for the two of us to be able to try several of the dishes. The cheese dish we ordered at the end of the meal was excellent and we'd highly recommend the Barrata cheese starter. The service was also really good and the Alaskan black cod was some of the best I've ever had. My girlfriend doesn't usually like seafood but she loved the crab cake and also thought the black cod was good. Definitely would come back here.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014This was our third time dining with Va da Vi. Great service and food. We will be back.Special Features:
- Love this placeCarribeantrvlrVIPDined on 7/27/2014I always come here for special lunches and it is always great for bdays and romantic dinners. The food is very tasty, inventive and the wine tasting is fun. Come for the cute outdoor seating and stay for the lava cake! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect restaurant spotBillVIPDined on 7/27/2014The food is always superbly prepared and fresh. The servers are very knowledgable about the food preparation. The portions are small and perfect for sharing. We ended up eating there twice over the weekend while visiting. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSRMomDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I chose this place to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Our server was very friendly and the meal was going great until we reached the dessert course. My husband found a screw...yes a metal screw...in his blondie. We were relieved since he did not bite or swallow it. The waitress was apologetic and took away our partially eaten desserts. She brought our check 5 minutes later and informed us that our desserts had been comped. While that was nice I was very disappointed because I feel that due to us not making a big stink they just comped our desserts which we didn't even eat. They should have comped our entire meal and given us something to get us to come back. I won't be going back.Special Features:
- love the wine flights, small platesWeekendDadDined on 7/26/2014Thr wife and I had a very enjoyable 2 hour dinner on our anniversary. Our only complaint was her Paloma Rosa cocktail, which we thought was too bitter. The food is excellent, and the staff serves it at a slow pace--perfect for conversation. The 3-glass wine flights add to the fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Unique!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014These tapas are innovative and made with high quality, fresh ingredients. The name is Catalan, but the food is not old school. The chef does not oversalt, which I greatly appreciated. The chicken tagine was exquisitely spiced. We also loved the fresh corn dish. It is pricey, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sharing with friends and familySherDined on 7/25/2014Every plate we tried not only had a stunning presentation, but was simply delicious. We tried quite a few tapas on the menu. A special beet salad, yummy squash blossoms, the best mac and cheese, tasty tare tare, chicken tacos, amazing shrimp lumpia, scrumptious pork belly on rice, tasty chicken dish, 2 amazing desserts and more-all just lovely. Our waitress was wonderful! She was always right there to serve and take great care of us. Delicious food, fine wine, amazing service, with comfortable outdoor seating. So Relaxing..Perfect evening with family and friends..life is good! Some say it is a bit pricy for tapas. I feel if you enjoy really good food, fine wine, great service, and relaxing, then you get what you pay for at Va de Vi Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...hmoreDined on 7/24/2014Everything was great about our experience here except I had to beg for service. We waited 15 minutes before they took our drink order and then I had to beg for a return visit from our waiter. After that, things improved and we sailed through the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful patio diningwecreationsDined on 7/24/2014We went here for lunch and had a variety of the small plates. All were very different but good. Service was good. The best thing was the ambiance of the lovely deck outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice evening outBlacksuit6Dined on 7/22/2014Va de Vi Bistro is a nice place to go for tapas. The menu has a variety of choices that will sashiate your palate. The couple that I had dinner with had special requirements and we were able to locate foods that matched their needs and we're a joy to eat. If you have the chance, please try out this exquisite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to go here!MttamerVIPDined on 7/21/2014We don't at all live close to Va de Vi (50 miles away) but if given the opportunity in this area, this is where we go. It's nice to share a variety of the small plates on offer. The food is terrific!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014All the food was superb. The atmosphere was great. Love the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect balanceknowswhathelikesDined on 7/20/2014Looking for great food to share, a wine selection that seems to never end, an outdoor environment that is as comfortable as any you can image and a noise level that is conversation friendly, yet private. Stop looking you've found your new favorite spot. An A+ on all report cards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant used to be betterFiyaDined on 7/18/2014The food is very fatty , it used to be such a good place to eat , what a shame !Special Features:
- Superb as usualpoindexterDined on 7/15/2014Va de Vi remains our favourite place to take house guests for dinner. The "small plate" servings usually allow everyone in a party of four to taste each dish. The menu changes frequently and is never ordinary. The server helpfully accomodated us by adding an extra item to a dish featuring three portions so each of us had a taste; for example, adding a fourth rib to a serving of three ribs, or two extra meatballs to a serving of six. We were seated outside, and our server rescued us from an unexpected rain shower by quickly rigging a large umbrella over our table. We enjoyed our meal without interruption in comfort during the light shower. Food, drinks, and service came to about $150 for four diners. Our guests were impressed!Special Features:
- Another great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014This was my second time at the bistro meeting some girlfriends, we had another great time!!!!Special Features:
- HowieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Va De Vi was exceptional for an anniversary dinner. The small plates allowed us to vary our choices and share them. We had the fries, risotto, meatballs, and salmon were all prepared in an interesting way. Sit at one of the tables under the oak tree. John, our server, and Solomon were attentive and help make the evening special.Special Features:
- Excellent for lunchMsFoodieVIPDined on 7/9/2014I hadn't been here since they opened & wondered why when we were done. The ambiance on the back patio with the big tree & koi pond was so relaxing. Service was excellent (he even noticed that my friend did not want ice in her water & went back for a new glass instead of pouring an ice water refill in her glass). The tapas menu is interesting. My friend loved the chicken tagine in the past, but this time she felt like it lacked some herbs. We both thought the za'atar squash was fantastic - definitely the standout in our order. The coconut lemongrass sauce was a nice blend of flavors on the clams, but I found it a little too salty. I'd definitely go back & try more of the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place worth visiting!Foodie65Dined on 7/8/2014The food was amazing, service was timely, warm, and friendly. Nicole made wonderful suggestions, and we loved everyone of them. Great place for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.