1486 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://uvanyc.com/
- Phone: 2124724552
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am–3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 4:00pm–2:00am, Saturday: 12:00pm–2:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm–1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Meneghini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious finger foods and appetizers available for your event when ordered in advance.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy hosting your next private event in our intimate private wine cellar room which can accommodate about 25 people for a sit down dinner. The wine cellar room can be used for fun dinners with family and friends, to business meetings and everything in between! Our year-round garden, which can accommodate 35 people, may also be used during the day time. Our entire restaurant may be booked during weekday afternoons.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica 2124724552
A word from Uva
Uva, an intimate little wine bar with great cuisine served in generous portions, a lively ambience and an impressive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uva reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (85)great for outdoor dining (81)romantic (63)fit for foodies (61)notable wine list (53)special occasion (38)late-night find (32)good for groups (29)great for brunch (27)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (22)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- LovelycjgilstrapDined on 9/12/2014We had dinner in the garden in the back. The food was great and atmosphere amazing.Special Features:
- A New Favoritesh220Dined on 9/12/2014I have a friend who is moving a block away from this restaurant and I've already told her I fully plan on using her as an excuse to eat here every single week. The atmosphere is really cozy and rustic. Plus, they have a great little outdoor garden with dining in the back of the restaurant. There's enough music and chatter that it's not eerily quiet, but you're still able to easily chat without straining to hear people. Three of us shared a salad and two pasta dishes that were absolutely delicious. All of the ingredients, including the pasta, tasted so fresh. Our server was also very sweet. She was attentive, but gave us room to chat and take our time with the meal. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Charming!FoodieDined on 9/11/2014An old and casual neighborhood haunt has turned into a charming and romantic little jewel. Exposed brick, chandeliers, warm lighting, and a lovely enclosed patio out back. The service was decent. My burrata with balsamic was perfect and my arugula artichoke salad with shavings of Parmesan was a perfect blend of flavor and textures. Noisy noisy noisy, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for italianDrJayDined on 9/1/2014Uva is a great place to eat. The food is really well done and we always have a good time when we dine there. We prefer the outdoor dining area in the back especially in the evenings. The place is quite popular with the younger crowd and it gets really really busy. The service tends to deteriorate as the place begins to get crowded and so does the noise. I had to really stick my head out to get the attention from the waitress. Even with these minor complains, I would probably go back there.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014We were really excited to try Uva - good reviews, food photos looked incredible and nice location. However, it never really met up to the expectations. First, it is small (not uncommon for NYC) but they really packed people in by using small tables crammed against each other. Very noisy and not comfortable. Then when the food arrived, it looked awesome but was bland and not very inventive. Our selection included flat bread, apps, and three pasta dishes. All were good but lacked anything to make them meet the expectations set by the nice descriptions on the menu. I think the chef is really good at creating dishes and making them look nice but I was not excited by his flavor profiles. All in all, good but nothing wow.
- ExcellentUESGemDined on 8/28/2014I was drawn to this restaurant by its name. I found the name interesting and "different". I have wanted to try this restaurant for a while now and am so glad I finally had the opportunity. I love the inside of the restaurant. Its so rustic and the lighting is perfect. I can imagine it will be very cozy in the winter time. Also, they have outside seating which makes it nice in the summer time. The service was great and also very friendly. I will definitely go back. I live in the neighborhood so its now my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Hostess needs hospitality training!CaptnwalkerDined on 8/26/2014Hostess staff made us feel very unwelcomed. When I approached hostess stand and stated our reservation name she barked, "Tell me when your party is complete!!" No "good evening", no Welcome to Uva", she didn't even ask if my guest was here, perhaps waiting outside or in the restroom?? (My wife was finishing a call just outside) The statement above was her sole communication with us all evening. As we left we said, "Good night" and "Thank you" to her but were completely ignored. Very rude!! The food was good, not great, but good and the waiter was excellent; attentive and knew the menu well to make recommendations. But, based in the rudeness experienced at the front desk, I doubt we will ever return even though we live 1 block away.Special Features:
- Simply WonderfulAllergiesAreAnnoyingDined on 8/24/2014Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu, and offered suggestions when we asked for them. The wine list was large by my standards, but mainly because I don't know much about wine at all. Next to every wine on the list was a brief, yet accurate, description of how the wine tastes. The duck was very good, and cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- great Italian brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Came here for brunch with a couple of friends. The food was excellent (highly recommend the frittata rustica!) and the brunch deal is excellent. The wait staff was super friendly, and the place was surprisingly not crowded for a Sunday brunch. Sit in the outdoor garden in the back, if the weather's nice!Special Features:
- Great Meal and Great ExperienceEatslowDined on 8/11/2014The food, service, and ambiance were superb. Hostess, waitress were exceptionally friendly and well versed in the food they were serving. The "Meatball night" special was an added attraction. We enjoyed eating in the rear garden which we were unaware of when we entered the restaurant and it gave us all a pleasant surprise. All the dishes were very substantial and well flavored. It's a great value for the dollar and a great night out. We can't say enough for this restaurant. We definitely intend to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!!BubbeVIPDined on 8/8/2014We needed a restaurant close to Central Park. So, even though we had never been to this restaurant, we went. The food was lovely and plentiful. Waitress was sweet and responsive to our needs. The main dishes came out too quickly, and when we returned them, they made new ones.Special Features:
- localDined on 8/3/2014I had the salmon and I thought it was a little over cooked but still yummy. My husband had the scallops - they were delicious. My son's pasta was a little bland (sorry) but the meatballs were yummy. Dessert was delicious and we found a new favorite white wine that I hope to find back in NJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a WinDavidDined on 8/2/2014When friends visit us from out-of-town, UVA is where we always bring them. There, one feels the energy of being in NY, the charm that comes with having a warm and attentive staff, a thoughtfully curated wine list, and delicious, consistently-prepared food that become favorites and easy menu recommendations. UVA is a gem, and my wife and I are eternal fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodgradstudentDined on 8/1/2014I couldn't believe we were sitting at a NYC restaurant- the staff were super friendly and helpful. Great food, great ambience, excellent service. Thanks for making it a memorable first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian food on the UESSRR1130Dined on 8/1/2014Fun menu, great wine, lots of energy in the restaurant. Go early if you want things to be on the quiet side as it gets a little loud but that's not a bad thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a fabulous night.love2eatoutDined on 7/31/2014I've been going to this place since it opened, and I have never been disappointed. Uva is a great "special occasion" place, and I've brought many a friend and family member here, who in turn have shared the wealth with other friends. Food is always good, and the service is wonderful - if you don't want to be rushed, just let them know, and they will wait for your cues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceWonderfulExperienceDined on 7/26/2014Everything experienced at Uva is a wonderful experience. From the delicious fresh, food, excellent wine selection, top notch waitress staff which goes out of their way to make their guest as comfortable as can be, to the ambiance and energy that's generated in the establishment, Uva is a excellent restaurant to dine in whether for drinks at the popping bar or having a great meal. It is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for seniorsclubkidDined on 7/25/2014the restaurant was noisy. the backyard garden, although quaint, was very warm when crowded with no fans on the scene. Some of the food was good, but i like a salad or vegetable to come with my pasta. even eggplant parmigiana didn't have an accompaniment like pasta with it. However, it was inexpensive and that is why I would recommend it for young adults who like that kind of noisy, crowded scene and where the food is not the most important thing.Special Features:
- Love itFoodie10Dined on 7/24/2014Hi Really love this place. Always my go to Italian spot when in NYC. Love Francesco and the rest of the team. So amazingly kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pesto perfection. Courteous staff.TarheelGirlDined on 7/23/2014Great little find. Mostly tables for two in the airconditioned backroom with the feel of dining outside. Good bread came with the meal. In the mood for simple pastas, chose homemade papparadelle with veal ragout. Good gravy with meat stock flavor, not tart nor sweet. Just right. My daughter had homemade shells with pesto-the best tasting fresh herb, creamy nutty pesto we've ever had. Too full for dessert. Too bad because they sounded so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Justifiably PopularGianettaVIPDined on 7/22/2014Uva is a very attractive European-style restaurant, with a lovely garden and hopping pub-bar scene. Service is pleasant and efficient; food is surprisingly good, and reasonable. Not hard to wonder why it is so popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!kovalevnyrVIPDined on 7/22/2014Best food on UES! Great apps. Fresh pasta. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Downhill, now only okblueskyVIPDined on 7/21/2014Used to love this restaurant but won't be back. Several dishes were really bland and boring including the burrata and two pastas. Waitstaff were great, hostesses were not. Asked for some seafood to be cooked through, arrived burnt (literally black char) on the outside and still raw on the inside; didn't bother sending it back and no one asked how it was. Noise level out of control - too hard to have a conversation.
- UvawendalaVIPDined on 7/21/2014This restaurant is in my neighborhood.. It was very good..Rather eat outside.. inside a little too noisy.. food is consistent.. Good wine list and good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uva hit the spot!foodislifeDined on 7/19/2014We recently went to dinner at Uva; as we were coming from out of town, we wanted to book in advance. When we called, a friendly staffer told us they don't take reservations directly for groups of 2, but that Open Table does (!). We booked successfully, and when we arrived a few minutes early for a 7 pm Sat. reservation, were offered a patio table out front. We asked about a table at the rear patio, and were told we could get one if we waited about 15 mins. This worked out great--while waiting, we took advantage of their wine flights--$14 for three glasses, of various types; the wines varied from OK to very good. The food and service were excellent, with items I hadn't seen elsewhere (in a variety of cities/Italian restaurants). Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice patio, warm insideeatoutmaniacVIPDined on 7/11/2014neighborhood place I hadn' tried as I thought it was more casual and less serious food. better and more happening than I realized. small, but nice outdoor deck in back as well as tables on the street up front. crowded inside. food was good, not great, with a few gems: bruschette with ricotta and truffle honey was yummy; pasta with zucchini was nice, veal was weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smartdinerDined on 7/9/2014Food was just fair--some dishes came out just warm not hot. Noise level was deafening. Probably a great spot for first date but not a place you would go to have a dinner and be able to talk to others at the table. The price/value ratio was low and this restaurant should be visited for its quality, quantity or ambience. However, a great spot to sit outside in the summer and view the people walking the street--maybe good for a drink. Stay away from the food!
- Beautiful outdoor patio seatingkevinandrewsunDined on 7/6/2014Such a quaint restaurant tucked away in the UES. Loved the food and ambience, but our waitress could have tried harder to be nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood restUrantpakruthVIPDined on 7/4/2014Went for dinner, ate inside as it looked like it would rain. Very nice meal of meatballs and mushroom crostini app. Entrees of fettuccine with shrimp , pappardelle bolo ness and branzjno special were all fresh and nicely prepared. Would definitely come back for local neighborhood ItalianSpecial Features:
- NYC20somethingNYCfoodieDined on 6/29/2014loved the outdoor garden although it was a little loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in Busy SurrondingsNewInTownDined on 6/27/2014Great pasta, good wine list. Very loud. Dined at 7pm on a Friday night so it was bustling. Pizza late night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOutalotDined on 6/26/2014Untrained waitress, very attractive, but very rude. Insisted on reading the "specials" before we had time to order a drink. She then made a remark, " guess you want to go at your own pace". Seats, very uncomfortable and tables squashed together. Bill was presented with the desert and coffee before we asked for it. Obviously, they wanted the table back quickly, to get another turnover. The noise level was excruciating. Sorry about this bad review, looked forward to a happy experience. Not.
- ReasonableRickDined on 6/21/2014We visited Uva after reading previous reviews and was slightly disappointed. Uva is obviously popular with the locals and was very busy, in fact despite booking we had to wait 30 minutes for our table. Whilst waiting we had a drink a the bar and found the bartender to be rude and unhelpful. Once seated (in the courtyard) the service considerably improved and we had a pleasant evening. The food was excellent and arrived very quickly, maybe a little too quickly? It's not a place for a special occasion but drinks and food for 2 costing approximately $100 is good value. Overall I'd rate Uva 3 out of 5.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UVAschaeburmusicDined on 6/15/2014Food and service excellent. Noise level almost intolerable, though.Special Features:
- Great ambience - food too oilyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2014The place is great and so is the service. It's a really nice ambience and environment. I did not take to the food too much. It was brunch and although the ingredients and dishes were tasty, the overwhleming amount of oil ruined it for me.Special Features:
- Very AccomodatinghamburgerDined on 6/14/2014I arrived a half hour before reservation and was seated in the garden within ten minutes. Very nice staff, great food. My father insists we visit Uva every time he visits NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experienceluv2eatoutDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I were warmly greeted at the door and although we were 30 minutes early for our reservation, were shown immediately to our table. Food and service was outstanding. We will definitely return to Uva the next time we visit NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Outdoorsjrb1188Dined on 6/14/2014Nice outdoor terrace and a nice place for wine and cheese. Nice date spot. Service excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodDaveDined on 6/11/2014Always a high standard of food, service and quality. Nice date spot. Nice out door terrace. It is noisy so be prepared for that. Wish they would update their menu. I don't think it's changed since I first went there a few years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experienceChuckieDined on 6/10/2014On my second time dining at Uva, I was again very pleased with the quality and flavor of the good. The wine selection is expansive and the guidance we received was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.