1486 Second Avenue
New York, NY 10075Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://uvanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 472-4552
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am–3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday 4:00pm–2:00am, Saturday: 12:00pm–2:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm–1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Meneghini
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Delicious finger foods and appetizers available for your event when ordered in advance.
- Private Party Facilities: Enjoy hosting your next private event in our intimate private wine cellar room which can accommodate about 25 people for a sit down dinner. The wine cellar room can be used for fun dinners with family and friends, to business meetings and everything in between! Our year-round garden, which can accommodate 35 people, may also be used during the day time. Our entire restaurant may be booked during weekday afternoons.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica 2124724552
A word from Uva
Uva, an intimate little wine bar with great cuisine served in generous portions, a lively ambience and an impressive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uva reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (54)romantic (52)notable wine list (46)good for groups (33)hot spot (32)special occasion (31)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Our server, Nick, was fabulous!ElizabethDined on 11/15/2014He was friendly and attentive, yet not overbearing. And the food was delicious! I'll certainly come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!hjnyDined on 11/10/2014The food was amazing, the ambiance was perfect, and our waiter was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Upstate visitors :-)MattDined on 11/8/2014Great sauce! Service was very good....quick and courteous. Enjoyed everything we ordered. Case (?), the bartender was a cool guy to interact with at the bar while we waited for our table. We would absolutely recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebTVIPDined on 11/5/2014Loved it!! The place was packed on a wed night. All 4 of us said we would go back tomorrow night. Prices were reasonable too for the upper east side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience with one flawOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014My boyfriend and I came here and were blown away by the fabulous food. The ricotta honey app was out of this world and the ricotta gnocchi and pesto cavatelli were both delicious, albeit heavy. My one gripe is that when we asked to pack up our leftover food (read: the pasta dishes were really heavy) the waiter only gave us a fraction of the food that was left on our plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/2/2014The problem with this restaurant is that the food never catches up to the menu. The menu seems creative and flavors seem intriguing but then when your food arrives it's just "meh." We ordered the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella appetizer which was baked and topped with a tomato sauce and breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs were lost in a sauce which tasted like Ragu. The prosciutto tasted like bacon- not prosciutto. Overall, nothing was delicious except the Baci mousse dessert which was incredible. Otherwise everything else was generic and lacked flavor. The worst part was that it was not great or terrible, just middle of the road. I suggest wine and dessert and forget everything else because you wouldn't miss it if you skipped it.
- dinner was out of this worldfoodiefun1VIPDined on 11/2/2014love UVA. we got the ANTIPASTO VEGETARIANO which was delicious. for entrees we got the GNOCCHI DI RICOTTA and the SOGLIOLA AL BURRO DI PORCINI. for dessert we had their nutella cake which was out of this world.Special Features:
- Good Food, Overwhelmed by MassesNeighborsVIPDined on 11/1/2014Even overheard the owner saying that they needed to plan better for when big events, here the NY Marathon, were in town. Was pretty clear they weren't ready for that many people. We made a reservation for 2, plus a high chair. When we got there, they said they could not accommodate us because they only minutes before read that we needed a high chair. We ended up in the bar. Server was good, food was excellent (although we ended up getting it to go because of the long wait and our son losing patience) and the scene was fun.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerDanaDined on 10/28/2014My boyfriend and I love this restaurant and would go here a lot when he lived on the UES. So when we were deciding where to go for our 4 year anniversary dinner, we knew we'd go to Uva. Food is always amazing and the seating in the back was perfect. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends and family. Thanks for a wonderful time!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Excellent on all aspects...I have taken friends there visiting from out of town, a night with girls, birthdays...and always had great times... I am a vegetarian and menu has a ton of options, highly recommend the pesto pasta and theor hazelnut mousse is out of this worldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lots of truffle dishesnec1Dined on 10/19/2014Great casual ambience, attentive service and delicious food. The ricotta and truffle honey bruschetta were wonderful and the gnocchi with black truffle cream sauce were outstanding. The pasta with veal ragout was also delicious. All in all, a terrific dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014It is unlikely I will want to eat at uva again, my pasta was over cooked and my friends reheated to the point of being dry. I
- griffDined on 10/7/2014we sat outdoors in the small area in front; it was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is the best meatballs aroundLuvMtldiningDined on 10/6/2014Inexpensive and delicious....this is a meatball lovers haven. Meatball Monday has great options. Good service. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Not a dining experienceiluvehDined on 10/5/2014We went on a Sunday evening and waited in the packed bar area for 20 minutes for our table. The noise level was off the charts. Our waiter was not able to put an antipasti order in while we perused the menu, telling us that all orders must be submitted at once. Though the food was fine and the price reasonable, it just wasn't a particularly nice experience.
- Delicious Italian FoodFoodienycDined on 10/1/2014I always enjoying coming to Uva for dinner. The menu options are delicious, and the atmosphere is inviting. This will always be a go to spot for Italian food.Special Features:
- Tasty, would be 5 stars but..OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014Truly a delicious place to eat. My boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed the food; from the cheese plate, appetizers, to the pasta dishes. We sat outside which was nice yet a little cramped. The only thing stopping me from rating Uva 5 stars is the service. Although the service was not terrible, there is a lot of room for improvement.Special Features:
- Excellent meal as alwaysInnaZDined on 9/24/2014We were sitting in the outdoor like area. It was very nice. Our waitress was amazing. The cheese platter had tons of cheese and get the vegetable antipasto. Antipasto was huge and very tasty. All the meals were great and served promptly.Special Features:
- Good ambiance, decent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Our reservation was for 10PM and they still made us wait which I thought was strange. But the place is fun and the wine is tasty. We only ordered two appetizers. The calamari was not very good but the other appetizer was tasty. Something cheesy, can't remember the name sorry!
- Dining ExperienceJustin717Dined on 9/17/2014Great food and service but it gets loud after 9:00. Recommend the Girella Al Cioccolato for dessert.Special Features:
- LovelycjgilstrapDined on 9/12/2014We had dinner in the garden in the back. The food was great and atmosphere amazing.Special Features:
- A New Favoritesh220Dined on 9/12/2014I have a friend who is moving a block away from this restaurant and I've already told her I fully plan on using her as an excuse to eat here every single week. The atmosphere is really cozy and rustic. Plus, they have a great little outdoor garden with dining in the back of the restaurant. There's enough music and chatter that it's not eerily quiet, but you're still able to easily chat without straining to hear people. Three of us shared a salad and two pasta dishes that were absolutely delicious. All of the ingredients, including the pasta, tasted so fresh. Our server was also very sweet. She was attentive, but gave us room to chat and take our time with the meal. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Charming!FoodieDined on 9/11/2014An old and casual neighborhood haunt has turned into a charming and romantic little jewel. Exposed brick, chandeliers, warm lighting, and a lovely enclosed patio out back. The service was decent. My burrata with balsamic was perfect and my arugula artichoke salad with shavings of Parmesan was a perfect blend of flavor and textures. Noisy noisy noisy, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for italianDrJayDined on 9/1/2014Uva is a great place to eat. The food is really well done and we always have a good time when we dine there. We prefer the outdoor dining area in the back especially in the evenings. The place is quite popular with the younger crowd and it gets really really busy. The service tends to deteriorate as the place begins to get crowded and so does the noise. I had to really stick my head out to get the attention from the waitress. Even with these minor complains, I would probably go back there.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014We were really excited to try Uva - good reviews, food photos looked incredible and nice location. However, it never really met up to the expectations. First, it is small (not uncommon for NYC) but they really packed people in by using small tables crammed against each other. Very noisy and not comfortable. Then when the food arrived, it looked awesome but was bland and not very inventive. Our selection included flat bread, apps, and three pasta dishes. All were good but lacked anything to make them meet the expectations set by the nice descriptions on the menu. I think the chef is really good at creating dishes and making them look nice but I was not excited by his flavor profiles. All in all, good but nothing wow.
- ExcellentUESGemDined on 8/28/2014I was drawn to this restaurant by its name. I found the name interesting and "different". I have wanted to try this restaurant for a while now and am so glad I finally had the opportunity. I love the inside of the restaurant. Its so rustic and the lighting is perfect. I can imagine it will be very cozy in the winter time. Also, they have outside seating which makes it nice in the summer time. The service was great and also very friendly. I will definitely go back. I live in the neighborhood so its now my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Hostess needs hospitality training!CaptnwalkerDined on 8/26/2014Hostess staff made us feel very unwelcomed. When I approached hostess stand and stated our reservation name she barked, "Tell me when your party is complete!!" No "good evening", no Welcome to Uva", she didn't even ask if my guest was here, perhaps waiting outside or in the restroom?? (My wife was finishing a call just outside) The statement above was her sole communication with us all evening. As we left we said, "Good night" and "Thank you" to her but were completely ignored. Very rude!! The food was good, not great, but good and the waiter was excellent; attentive and knew the menu well to make recommendations. But, based in the rudeness experienced at the front desk, I doubt we will ever return even though we live 1 block away.Special Features:
- Simply WonderfulAllergiesAreAnnoyingDined on 8/24/2014Our server was very knowledgeable of the menu, and offered suggestions when we asked for them. The wine list was large by my standards, but mainly because I don't know much about wine at all. Next to every wine on the list was a brief, yet accurate, description of how the wine tastes. The duck was very good, and cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- great Italian brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Came here for brunch with a couple of friends. The food was excellent (highly recommend the frittata rustica!) and the brunch deal is excellent. The wait staff was super friendly, and the place was surprisingly not crowded for a Sunday brunch. Sit in the outdoor garden in the back, if the weather's nice!Special Features:
- athenaVIPDined on 8/17/2014Pleasantly surprised . They do have a fron and back patio Back being my choice away from street. Inside very quaint and romantic. Great food Tender Veal great pesto . Lots of vegetarian choices, nice variety. Pick a few and share . Service was a little slow but they were busy and after all its dinning not a race. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great Meal and Great ExperienceEatslowDined on 8/11/2014The food, service, and ambiance were superb. Hostess, waitress were exceptionally friendly and well versed in the food they were serving. The "Meatball night" special was an added attraction. We enjoyed eating in the rear garden which we were unaware of when we entered the restaurant and it gave us all a pleasant surprise. All the dishes were very substantial and well flavored. It's a great value for the dollar and a great night out. We can't say enough for this restaurant. We definitely intend to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!!BubbeVIPDined on 8/8/2014We needed a restaurant close to Central Park. So, even though we had never been to this restaurant, we went. The food was lovely and plentiful. Waitress was sweet and responsive to our needs. The main dishes came out too quickly, and when we returned them, they made new ones.Special Features:
- localDined on 8/3/2014I had the salmon and I thought it was a little over cooked but still yummy. My husband had the scallops - they were delicious. My son's pasta was a little bland (sorry) but the meatballs were yummy. Dessert was delicious and we found a new favorite white wine that I hope to find back in NJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a WinDavidDined on 8/2/2014When friends visit us from out-of-town, UVA is where we always bring them. There, one feels the energy of being in NY, the charm that comes with having a warm and attentive staff, a thoughtfully curated wine list, and delicious, consistently-prepared food that become favorites and easy menu recommendations. UVA is a gem, and my wife and I are eternal fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodgradstudentDined on 8/1/2014I couldn't believe we were sitting at a NYC restaurant- the staff were super friendly and helpful. Great food, great ambience, excellent service. Thanks for making it a memorable first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian food on the UESSRR1130Dined on 8/1/2014Fun menu, great wine, lots of energy in the restaurant. Go early if you want things to be on the quiet side as it gets a little loud but that's not a bad thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, a fabulous night.love2eatoutDined on 7/31/2014I've been going to this place since it opened, and I have never been disappointed. Uva is a great "special occasion" place, and I've brought many a friend and family member here, who in turn have shared the wealth with other friends. Food is always good, and the service is wonderful - if you don't want to be rushed, just let them know, and they will wait for your cues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceWonderfulExperienceDined on 7/26/2014Everything experienced at Uva is a wonderful experience. From the delicious fresh, food, excellent wine selection, top notch waitress staff which goes out of their way to make their guest as comfortable as can be, to the ambiance and energy that's generated in the establishment, Uva is a excellent restaurant to dine in whether for drinks at the popping bar or having a great meal. It is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for seniorsclubkidDined on 7/25/2014the restaurant was noisy. the backyard garden, although quaint, was very warm when crowded with no fans on the scene. Some of the food was good, but i like a salad or vegetable to come with my pasta. even eggplant parmigiana didn't have an accompaniment like pasta with it. However, it was inexpensive and that is why I would recommend it for young adults who like that kind of noisy, crowded scene and where the food is not the most important thing.Special Features:
- The following 348 reviews are from the Uva reviews archive.
- Love itFoodie10Dined on 7/24/2014Hi Really love this place. Always my go to Italian spot when in NYC. Love Francesco and the rest of the team. So amazingly kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.