Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.utsavny.com/
- Phone: (212) 575-2525
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 12:00 - 3:00pm; Dinner 5.30-10.30 pm, Fri & Sat till 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Utsav caters events for up to 500 guests. Please call Ramesh Soni to discuss.
A word from Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
One of 19 locations worldwide, Utsav is a 2-storey restaurant in the heart of Times Square. There is a cozy lounge on the lower level with outdoor seating available in the summer. The upstairs main dining room is beautiful and spacious overlooking an open air plaza through floor-to-ceiling glass windows. The flooring is a warm cherry and the ceiling is adorned with silk drapes giving the restaurant a romantic ambience. The main dining room can accommodate upto 200 guests. There are booths along the windows overlooking 46th and 47th streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (32)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (19)special occasion (16)romantic (13)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (5)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- AtmosphericsunnyVIPDined on 11/20/2014It feels as though you are entering a private Indian home. There are small tables and comfortable booths. The service is personal and prompt. The staff offers suggestions and is sensitive to dietary constraints and the food is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine selection of Indian buffetPatsyVIPDined on 11/19/2014We went to Utsav on a very cold day, and it felt warm and inviting to us coming in from the wind and chill. We were well taken care of, and were quite pleased with the delicious buffet at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good theater district choicesalemwitchVIPDined on 11/15/2014they do a good job of respecting theater times, and the food is quite good--better than the last time we were here a couple of years ago. try to get a seat near a window, in one of the booths; much more pleasant than sitting out in the middle, where the din can get oppressive. if you want a good indian dinner with proximity to the theater district, this is a good choice. (i esply reco the crab cakes!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually bettermong10VIPDined on 11/14/2014I usually go to Utsav for lunch and love it, and have been there occasionally for dinner as well. The other night I thought the service was not as good as usual and the food was definitely not as good--with the exception of the naan, mango mousse and carrot halwa which were as excellent as they always are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014I would not use his restaurant again. The service was poor and the food was an imaginative and overpriced and family not particularly flavorful for an Indian restaurant. I any chose it because they were going to see Indian inkat the theater close by so I thought it was a pleasant way to begin the theater evening. There are too many good restaurants in that area to suffer a bad one
- LoredoDined on 11/12/2014Food was good and promptly served, however drinks, whether water, beer or their own house cocktail seemed to take much, much longer than expected, frustratingly so. Perhaps because the bar is downstairs. A convenient midtown location, as most of the better Indians are much further east, so would recommend it for that, but I am more likely to walk the extra blocks next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- michaelDined on 11/8/2014Good but not great- service took longer than necessarySpecial Features:
- Not-good situation made betterBookieVIPDined on 11/8/2014We were a group of 6, 4 of whom had a 7:30 curtain (next door, luckily). When seated at 5:30, we mentioned this to the host. No problem, we were told. But it *was* a problem, as service was a bit slow to start and then we had a half-hour wait between apps and mains. We had to rush with our mains and had no time for the dessert that came on the prix fixe. A shame, as the food was all quite good, well prepared and tasty (if perhaps a bit tame for our taste). Management made it up to us somewhat--we returned after the show for dessert and complimentary beverages. Still, we were unhappy with the glitch. Delicious food, though, and we might return when not under time pressure. (Other tables did not seem to have the slow service.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show dinnerJohnDined on 11/7/2014Cocktail menu is interesting. Nice variations on the classics. Prix fixed three course dinner was perfect. We shared the entrees, one with lamb and one with fish. Sauces were well spiced but not overpowering. Traditional Indian ice cream was nice finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere before theaterBeverlyDined on 11/5/2014The atmosphere was perfect (pretty room) and the service very attentive. It was a convenient pre-theater location for Town Hall. Unfortunately, the food was very disappointing.Special Features:
- special engagementqueencityconciergeDined on 11/3/2014My girlfriend and I love Indian food, so I searched for a place to help make our new engagement an amazing celebration! UtSav went out of their way to make us feel special! The food and experience left a lasting impression! Whenever we go back to NYC we will definitely stop by UtSav NYC!Special Features:
- Roundabout followed by Utsav...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014...perfect together. We were planning to see India Ink and decided a quiet meal of Indian food would be the perfect companion. The fact that Utsav is right next door was the initial draw but the ambiance and food made this a great decision. We were a group of 5 people so we got several appetizers for the table. We did the same wit the entrees. Everything was delicious. The service has a nice leisurely timing, which was very much appreciated as we wanted to savor the flavors while discussing the play. Highly recommended, especially in conjunction with a show at the Roundabout.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceRPDinerVIPDined on 10/31/2014Good food and good value pre-show prix fixe menu, but slow service means allow more than an hour for dinner, even if the restaurant is not full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/28/2014Our food was quite good, but the service was awful. It took forever before we could even get a waiter to take our order. Having done so, we waited quite a long time to get our drinks and then quite a long after that to get our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre IndianMmmmDined on 10/28/2014We stopped in for a quick prix-fixe dinner before an early (7 PM) curtain showing of Cabaret. The food was good, and the staff did a terrific job of accommodating our tight timetable without making us feel any more rushed than we already felt, even packing up our desserts to go because we didn't have enough time to eat them there.Special Features:
- Terrific Indian Food!DelphiDined on 10/24/2014Utsav is not to be missed! We visit this restaurant every single time we come to New York City (from DC), and always have numbered dining there among the high points of our trip. Every single dish is excellent, and the service has been perfect every time. Among our favorite dishes are the following: appetizers -- lasuni gobhi, vegetable samosas; soup -- butternut squash soup; main dishes -- rogan josh, lamb kohlapuri, lamb vindaloo, aloo gobhi, baghera baigan; bread -- peshawari naan; desserts -- malai kulfi, gulab jamun, gaajar ka halwa. A pre-show prix-fixe menu also is available, and the choices there are excellent. The prices are exceptionally reasonable for a restaurant in Midtown Manhattan. Do not miss dining at Utsav!Special Features:
- Mild?FoodyehDined on 10/24/2014Ordered a dish to be spiced mildly. It took my stomach two days to recover from this dish of spinach and chicken. Four people received only one small bowl of rice. Water glasses were not refilled.Special Features:
- Great food, but it took too longLVdinerDined on 10/22/2014We went at 5:30, as they opened, so that we would be able to make it to our show on time. Just barely made it because our entrees were slow in coming ...and so was the check.Special Features:
- a gemsam123Dined on 10/21/2014My husband, friends and I always eat here when we attend theater in the area. It is our favorite Indian restaurant. The service could not be more cordial . Once when our food was a little slow in arriving they asked us to please return after dinner for desert on them. The place is lovely to look at, their location on the 2nd floor affords a nice view of the street. We are great fans of Indian food and this is our favorite Indian restaurant .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/16/2014great location for the theatre. Prompt service and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BuffetJudithVIPDined on 10/16/2014The food offerings on the reasonably priced buffet are great and constantly being refreshed. The restaurant is very pretty and the service attentive.Special Features:
- Great Indian food in nice settingjohalfnoteDined on 10/11/2014The food here is traditional Indian style food done very well. Near the theatre district and great for a pre-theatre dinner. Quiet and pleasant ambiance. The restaurant is up on the 2nd floor, which is over a walkway, so there are windows overlooking the walkway on two sides, which makes for a nice view. One of our favourites to return to when we're visiting NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for theaterGourmetDined on 10/11/2014good pre-theater venue - and good pre-theater menu. Service was slow and confused though - there was a ton of staff so that was unexpected and unnecessary.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for romantic eveningsamazonDined on 10/8/2014Went there for my birthday and we were group of 4. It was a perfect evening and indeed a memorable one. The service was good, the server even sang a happy birthday song for me :D and other people helped clicking photos. We thoroughly enjoyed our time spent there and we plan to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting betterCaptiv8dDined on 10/8/2014Recent return visit to Utsav was pleasant surprise. Quality and presentation of meals for four long term fans were both above recent experience. Our dinner choices were eclectic and both the veg and non-veg diners were delighted. As dining room grows crowded near time when diners are leaving for neighborhood theaters the otherwise attentive service falls off. But this did not diminish overall satisfaction with evening. A return to their prior levels of very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian FoodtheaterloverVIPDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I had a delicious meal at Utsav before seeing "indian Ink" at the theater next door. It was a wonderful choice. The service was perfect and very thoughtful. We particularly enjoyed the butter squash soup -- a nice treat for a gloomy fall evening. It also was nice to dine in a city restaurant that was spacious with nice views to the street from the second floor.Special Features:
- Great Place!foodhappyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Came here for the first time for a group business lunch and very much enjoyed our time there. The service was really amazing. Food was so yummy. We opted for the buffet lunch and the food was delish. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Nice place to beDoctorKDined on 9/30/2014It is nice place overall - and the stuffs are very courteous. Food is although average North Indian. Those who has above average tests for ethnic foods will find the dishes common. A bit on the spicy-side. Appetizers are better compared to the main dishes.Special Features:
- lovelycinemaforeverDined on 9/24/2014very attentive staff, delicious food, no loud music, a lovely dining experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We were seated for 5 minutes, and only after asking the waiter did we get the menu. The food was specifically said to be made mild spicy, but it turned out to be very spicy for our buds. Overall just poor service and food!
- Lobe this placejordon50VIPDined on 9/20/2014Great pre=thetare prox-fixe, but ala carte really varied
- good Indian basics near time sqOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014I enjoyed a filling dinner with enough take away for lunch the following day. I enjoy fish and the salmon was made spicy and the veggies were great. They will fulfill all your requests even if not on the menu. Decent wine and beer menu too. A nice crowd on a weeknight - not cheap but tasty. Its a more formal ambiance than basic. Friendly and anticipatory staff.Special Features:
- Great Midtown Indian foodGFMikeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Utsav has a very wide selection of Indian dishes and the quality is outstanding. Very good options for vegetarians and gluten-free people. Highly recommend the Navratan Korma and Saffron Basmati rice.Special Features:
- UtsavLion26KingVIPDined on 9/16/2014This was my third visit to Utsav and my guest's first Indian restaurant experience. Utsav passed with flying colors again.Special Features:
- Good food, Unfriendly serversReneDined on 9/13/2014Food is very good, don't expect a smile or friendly word from the waiters. They are realy not friendly
- Decent for quick lunch buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014Lunch buffet was pretty good but not great. Also, desserts were limited for lunchSpecial Features:
- Favorite Spotbrooklyn55Dined on 9/6/2014My group gets together whenever we can to dine at Utsav. The appetizers, entrees and desserts are all delicious, especially the Kulfi ice cream and carrot pudding! Friendly, helpful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager: address service issues!CordyVIPDined on 9/6/2014This could be such a successful restaurant. I have eaten here several times. The food and the location are fantastic. A number of reviewers have mentioned service issues. The staff needs to be trained. Measures need to be put into place on how quickly guests are approached when they enter, how long it takes to get a cocktail, how the staff interacts with the customer, including service-oriented behaviors and attitudes. Staff needs to listen carefully to what the customer says and check they heard correctly. There's no proactive engagement or sense of feeling special. As a return customer, I feel like I'm being "processed" through dinner--I'm not having an "experience." I don't think I'll return.
- Indifferent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was alright, but the service was very inattentive and disorganized. It wasn't just that it took a while for our food to come, although it did. It was that we did not seem to have any server assigned to our table, or, if we did, that person did not make himself or herself known to be that person. Someone came by and asked if we wanted to order food. As we started to say no, he walked away, and we had to quickly ask if we could please order our drinks. That person took our drink orders begrudgingly. Water glasses remained unfilled for quite a while. The plate that was put down in front of me was not solidly on the table. The list goes on. It was as though no one had ever trained the wait staff and no one was managing them.Special Features:
- ctgourmandVIPDined on 8/7/2014While the food at Utsav is generally very good, whenever we go we have issues with the service because on several separate occasions we have requested the lights be turned up or that menus be given to us and it takes multiple requests to get this accomplished. The service is just not up to par with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.