Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.utsavny.com/
- Phone: 2125752525x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 12:00 - 3:00pm; Dinner 5.30-11 pm, Fri & Sat till 11.30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Utsav caters events for up to 500 guests. Please call Ramesh Soni to discuss.
A word from Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
One of 19 locations worldwide, Utsav is a 2-storey restaurant in the heart of Times Square. There is a cozy lounge on the lower level with outdoor seating available in the summer. The upstairs main dining room is beautiful and spacious overlooking an open air plaza through floor-to-ceiling glass windows. The flooring is a warm cherry and the ceiling is adorned with silk drapes giving the restaurant a romantic ambience. The main dining room can accommodate upto 200 guests. There are booths along the windows overlooking 46th and 47th streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (15)great for lunch (12)scenic view (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- good Indian basics near time sqOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014I enjoyed a filling dinner with enough take away for lunch the following day. I enjoy fish and the salmon was made spicy and the veggies were great. They will fulfill all your requests even if not on the menu. Decent wine and beer menu too. A nice crowd on a weeknight - not cheap but tasty. Its a more formal ambiance than basic. Friendly and anticipatory staff.Special Features:
- Great Midtown Indian foodGFMikeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Utsav has a very wide selection of Indian dishes and the quality is outstanding. Very good options for vegetarians and gluten-free people. Highly recommend the Navratan Korma and Saffron Basmati rice.Special Features:
- UtsavLion26KingVIPDined on 9/16/2014This was my third visit to Utsav and my guest's first Indian restaurant experience. Utsav passed with flying colors again.Special Features:
- Good food, Unfriendly serversReneDined on 9/13/2014Food is very good, don't expect a smile or friendly word from the waiters. They are realy not friendly
- Favorite Spotbrooklyn55Dined on 9/6/2014My group gets together whenever we can to dine at Utsav. The appetizers, entrees and desserts are all delicious, especially the Kulfi ice cream and carrot pudding! Friendly, helpful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager: address service issues!CordyVIPDined on 9/6/2014This could be such a successful restaurant. I have eaten here several times. The food and the location are fantastic. A number of reviewers have mentioned service issues. The staff needs to be trained. Measures need to be put into place on how quickly guests are approached when they enter, how long it takes to get a cocktail, how the staff interacts with the customer, including service-oriented behaviors and attitudes. Staff needs to listen carefully to what the customer says and check they heard correctly. There's no proactive engagement or sense of feeling special. As a return customer, I feel like I'm being "processed" through dinner--I'm not having an "experience." I don't think I'll return.
- Indifferent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was alright, but the service was very inattentive and disorganized. It wasn't just that it took a while for our food to come, although it did. It was that we did not seem to have any server assigned to our table, or, if we did, that person did not make himself or herself known to be that person. Someone came by and asked if we wanted to order food. As we started to say no, he walked away, and we had to quickly ask if we could please order our drinks. That person took our drink orders begrudgingly. Water glasses remained unfilled for quite a while. The plate that was put down in front of me was not solidly on the table. The list goes on. It was as though no one had ever trained the wait staff and no one was managing them.Special Features:
- ctgourmandDined on 8/7/2014While the food at Utsav is generally very good, whenever we go we have issues with the service because on several separate occasions we have requested the lights be turned up or that menus be given to us and it takes multiple requests to get this accomplished. The service is just not up to par with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lousy serviceDoctorMVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were on a very tight timeline because we had a 7:30 curtain at the Laura Pels Theatre next door. I mentioned that in my reservation and again when my friend arrived at 6:30. Despite that, we had to practically stand on our heads to get service to our table. And the restaurant was not full at all. Food was fine, but our anxiety about getting to the theatre on time really spoiled the experience. We've been here many times but were never on such a time crunch. We made it to the theatre in time, but our experience was very disappointing at the restaurant. I will definitely not return if I have time challenges like this.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014Really great food! Will return again - hopefully soon!!Special Features:
- Great indian buffetBillVIPDined on 7/30/2014Too crowded and service cleaning the tables was less than stellar. Also a bit expensive at 20.95 for a lunch buffet.
- Nice locationRedyDined on 7/26/2014The decor is nice. Its expensive. The food was nicely presented but disappointing.
- Utsav is wonderful!zebra207Dined on 7/24/2014I used to work in the vicinity (Rockefeller Center area) many years ago and always wanted to go to Utsav but somehow never got the chance. I finally made it there this week (24 July 2014). I am so sorry I never got there earlier -- the place is fabulous! From the minute I walked in (beautiful environment) until the time I left, I and my party of 3 were attended to by very friendly staff. The food -- all of it -- was delicious. We all sampled each others' dishes, and there was not one item I could honestly say I didn't like or I could complain about. I will be sure not to let so much time go by before I return here. Thank you all very much for a wonderful dining experience!
- Wonderful Dinner!DknightDined on 7/21/2014We were just there for dinner and had a great experience. The service was good, the only thing is I found there were alot of people around and everyone bringing you a different course. When we needed something no one was coming over. The food was delicious and plentiful. It was a nice quiet restaurant, bring a Monday that was expected. Overall we had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but spicyOnetimeonlyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Everyone enjoyed the food except the lady who requested a dish be made mild. They do not do mikd very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Indian near BroadwayLulubelle91Dined on 7/15/2014It is in a very good location off 6th Avenue at 46th st. very near most of the Broadway theaters. The service was lacking, but the food was very very good. It was quiet.....not particularly pretty, but not ugly..... Quite good....(and quick).
- Service was terribleNYNYDined on 7/11/2014Server had a cold and was sniffling quite noticeably while serving our food. It completely ruined our dining experience.
- Best Indian RestaurantMartinDined on 7/11/2014We enjoy Indian food and thought this was the very best Indian restaurant we have been to with an elegant ambiance,pleasant and efficient service close to our theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodMandDVIPDined on 7/10/2014We went to this restaurant pre-theatre and totally loved it. The staff was friendly and courteous, and obviously aimed to please. The service was excellent as was the food. Would highly recommend as both a great theatre district/midtown restaurant and one for lovers of fine Indian food.Special Features:
- Just okwkcalDined on 7/7/2014Wanted Indian for lunch but was hoping for more upscale. When we were seated at the table I asked about a menu but was told they had a buffet. Later I saw others were ordering off a menu and was disappointed as I am not a fan of the buffet setting. If you want a nice place for lunch I would not recommend. Buffet price for NYC was reasonable so if you want an Indian buffet for lunch at a reasonable price and ok food then this is just fine.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014Wonderful food and a good view for people-watching. Service is good, prices are very reasonable, menu is diverse and the food is oh, so good.
- Delicious!DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 6/25/2014The most perfectly cooked tandoori chicken I have ever had- so good! Every other dish had perfect and lovely flavors. Window seats are a fun view and the service was very friendly. I just moved to the neighborhood and this will be my "go to" Indian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good classic Indian foodKbrown430VIPDined on 6/24/2014We tried Utsav for a pre-theater meal because of its proximity to our show. The food was very good, service was prompt and the prices were reasonable. We had the Prix Fix meal which offered a reasonable variety of classic Indian dishes, but the menu was much more extensive and comprehensive. Would definitely go back for another meal and sample a wider variety when we have more time.
- Simple setting - good foodjoeddinerDined on 6/17/2014I attended a buffet lunch at Utsav and was very happy with the choice. The setting was very simple, in fact, quite utilitarian, but the food was excellent. There was an abundant supply of choices and each was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I have been going to Utsav for 10 years. I love the lunch full of surprises. The waiters are so cheerful and subservient. The waiters were too eager to clear off our table. That was annoying. The view of the garden below is attractive. The food has unusual and exciting flavors which are not found anywhere else. The good sign was that there are Indian immigrants and tourists there which indicates authentic food.Special Features:
- disappointing servicezzzzVIPDined on 6/7/2014Fantastic service is always part of the experience at upscale Indian restaurants in Midtown. But this did not measure up to standards. They didn't pour our wine, one dish was forgotten and had to be asked for, and in general there was not that feeling like someone was paying attention to you at all times. Started with a pair of very nice vegetarian appetizers. But some of the main dishes didn't quite measure up to their descriptions on the menu. Relaxing atmosphere with a nice view. Overall a nice experience but there are better in Manhattan.
- Good All RoundHameDined on 5/31/2014My second time eating here. My dinner partner and I were politely greeted and promptly seated in a comfortable booth with a pleasant street view. The decor is elegant and understated with attractive lamps and attractive colors. Service was excellent and efficient. The food was reasonably priced and there is a great pre-theater prix-fixe which is a good deal, providing good options. The pokhara chaat was excellent and my dinner partner enjoyed the crab cake - with recognizable crab and a delectable sauce. The lamb roganjosh and lamb dhansak were delectable. Spiced to my taste, my dinner partner could have taken more heat. A side of chickpeas was great. The mango mousse and the keer (rice pudding) rounded out the meal nicely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian in Times Square!RBNYeatsDined on 5/31/2014We loved this restaurant. Probably the best Indian food we have had. Wish they were located in Westchester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhillyfoodieDined on 5/30/2014The restaurant was lovely - very proper service - the food was good - it was a pleasurable experience. Our dinner guest was Indian and he gave it two thumbs up.Special Features:
- they will judge youJennifer524Dined on 5/28/2014They will judge base if you are black white or indian. The food was okay but the service was terrible especially the one guy ugh I DONT like him I will NEVER go back because the guy was rude. I have money and I you get what you earn.Special Features:
- Buffet LunchKFinCTVIPDined on 5/27/2014Classic Indian buffet lunch with abundant offerings. Not the typical, American/Indian food, more classic Indian food. Not too spicy though so definitely down-played for the American palate. No rush to leave the table despite the buffet aspect and definitely a favorite with locals as there were many full tables and a number of large parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodSteveVIPDined on 5/25/2014We go 1 or 2 times a year pre theatre Prix fixe pre theatre menu. Best Indian food on this continent. Very good service Comfortable seating and lots of menu choices.Special Features:
- Tasty&close,service a little spottyProfvDined on 5/25/2014The good: Tasty Indian food. A good brisk crowd, but not so overwhelming that you can't get a reservation same-evening. Innovative food as well as the classics. The food was brought quickly. This is a terrific find within a block of Times Square - it's hard to beat the value for the money within this area. The bad: We waited 40 minutes for the check, and even then had to ask for it. On one hand, it was nice not to be rushed, but on the other, it was challenging to get out when we wanted to leave!Special Features:
- Utsav should mean wowvisitornycVIPDined on 5/24/2014This was such a pleasant surprise! When we arrived it was empty, so I was very skeptical! We were seated and given a lovely amuse bouche of a fried spinach fritter. We went with the prix fixe and all ordered different things. I had baigan burkta, my husband, the rogan gosh, and our friend, the tikka masala. Each was excellent. By the time the dessert came, the place was packed. This was a great find tucked between two office towers overlooking 46th and 47th streets and should not be missed. Well situated for a pre-theatre dinner without the rushed feeling. We will go back.Special Features:
- The following 545 reviews are from the Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Great place near Times Square!MakJDined on 5/21/2014Very nice experience of dining at Utsav!! Will go again, if i am in that area..:-)Special Features:
- CamkulinDined on 5/19/2014Good food, good service and good Ambience. Overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotCat63Dined on 5/19/2014The food was excellent and service was good. I will definitely put this on my list of regular lunch spots. Good options for vegans as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta go backKenLauVIPDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I dined at Utsav and had a great meal. The service was excellent and the head waiter helped my wife pick out the best level of spiciness for her Murg Angarey. The chicken Tikka Masala was yummy, tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, great food.sdtkbhDined on 5/16/2014The food and service were both very good. The location is near many theaters.Special Features:
- I love Utsavsar21Dined on 5/11/2014Being from the UK, I love Indian food. Having lived in NY for 3 years it is great to find a place that serves amazing Indian food. The prices are reasonable and the service is great. This was my second visit to Utsav and it was just as good as the first. It will definitely be my go to Indian Restaurant in NYC.Special Features: