Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.utsavny.com/
- Phone: 212-575-2525x
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Lunch: Daily: 12:00 - 3:00pm; Dinner 5.30-10.30 pm, Fri & Sat till 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Utsav caters events for up to 500 guests. Please call Ramesh Soni to discuss.
A word from Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge
One of 19 locations worldwide, Utsav is a 2-storey restaurant in the heart of Times Square. There is a cozy lounge on the lower level with outdoor seating available in the summer. The upstairs main dining room is beautiful and spacious overlooking an open air plaza through floor-to-ceiling glass windows. The flooring is a warm cherry and the ceiling is adorned with silk drapes giving the restaurant a romantic ambience. The main dining room can accommodate upto 200 guests. There are booths along the windows overlooking 46th and 47th streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (14)good for groups (14)special occasion (12)scenic view (7)romantic (7)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food, but it took too longLVdinerDined on 10/22/2014We went at 5:30, as they opened, so that we would be able to make it to our show on time. Just barely made it because our entrees were slow in coming ...and so was the check.Special Features:
- a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014My husband, friends and I always eat here when we attend theater in the area. It is our favorite Indian restaurant. The service could not be more cordial . Once when our food was a little slow in arriving they asked us to please return after dinner for desert on them. The place is lovely to look at, their location on the 2nd floor affords a nice view of the street. We are great fans of Indian food and this is our favorite Indian restaurant .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014great location for the theatre. Prompt service and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BuffetJudithVIPDined on 10/16/2014The food offerings on the reasonably priced buffet are great and constantly being refreshed. The restaurant is very pretty and the service attentive.Special Features:
- Great Indian food in nice settingjohalfnoteDined on 10/11/2014The food here is traditional Indian style food done very well. Near the theatre district and great for a pre-theatre dinner. Quiet and pleasant ambiance. The restaurant is up on the 2nd floor, which is over a walkway, so there are windows overlooking the walkway on two sides, which makes for a nice view. One of our favourites to return to when we're visiting NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for theaterGourmetDined on 10/11/2014good pre-theater venue - and good pre-theater menu. Service was slow and confused though - there was a ton of staff so that was unexpected and unnecessary.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for romantic eveningsamazonDined on 10/8/2014Went there for my birthday and we were group of 4. It was a perfect evening and indeed a memorable one. The service was good, the server even sang a happy birthday song for me :D and other people helped clicking photos. We thoroughly enjoyed our time spent there and we plan to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting betterCaptiv8dDined on 10/8/2014Recent return visit to Utsav was pleasant surprise. Quality and presentation of meals for four long term fans were both above recent experience. Our dinner choices were eclectic and both the veg and non-veg diners were delighted. As dining room grows crowded near time when diners are leaving for neighborhood theaters the otherwise attentive service falls off. But this did not diminish overall satisfaction with evening. A return to their prior levels of very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian FoodtheaterloverVIPDined on 10/2/2014My husband and I had a delicious meal at Utsav before seeing "indian Ink" at the theater next door. It was a wonderful choice. The service was perfect and very thoughtful. We particularly enjoyed the butter squash soup -- a nice treat for a gloomy fall evening. It also was nice to dine in a city restaurant that was spacious with nice views to the street from the second floor.Special Features:
- Great Place!foodhappyVIPDined on 10/1/2014Came here for the first time for a group business lunch and very much enjoyed our time there. The service was really amazing. Food was so yummy. We opted for the buffet lunch and the food was delish. I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Nice place to beDoctorKDined on 9/30/2014It is nice place overall - and the stuffs are very courteous. Food is although average North Indian. Those who has above average tests for ethnic foods will find the dishes common. A bit on the spicy-side. Appetizers are better compared to the main dishes.Special Features:
- lovelycinemaforeverDined on 9/24/2014very attentive staff, delicious food, no loud music, a lovely dining experience.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014We were seated for 5 minutes, and only after asking the waiter did we get the menu. The food was specifically said to be made mild spicy, but it turned out to be very spicy for our buds. Overall just poor service and food!
- Lobe this placejordon50VIPDined on 9/20/2014Great pre=thetare prox-fixe, but ala carte really varied
- good Indian basics near time sqOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2014I enjoyed a filling dinner with enough take away for lunch the following day. I enjoy fish and the salmon was made spicy and the veggies were great. They will fulfill all your requests even if not on the menu. Decent wine and beer menu too. A nice crowd on a weeknight - not cheap but tasty. Its a more formal ambiance than basic. Friendly and anticipatory staff.Special Features:
- Great Midtown Indian foodGFMikeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Utsav has a very wide selection of Indian dishes and the quality is outstanding. Very good options for vegetarians and gluten-free people. Highly recommend the Navratan Korma and Saffron Basmati rice.Special Features:
- UtsavLion26KingVIPDined on 9/16/2014This was my third visit to Utsav and my guest's first Indian restaurant experience. Utsav passed with flying colors again.Special Features:
- Good food, Unfriendly serversReneDined on 9/13/2014Food is very good, don't expect a smile or friendly word from the waiters. They are realy not friendly
- Decent for quick lunch buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014Lunch buffet was pretty good but not great. Also, desserts were limited for lunchSpecial Features:
- Favorite Spotbrooklyn55Dined on 9/6/2014My group gets together whenever we can to dine at Utsav. The appetizers, entrees and desserts are all delicious, especially the Kulfi ice cream and carrot pudding! Friendly, helpful staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manager: address service issues!CordyVIPDined on 9/6/2014This could be such a successful restaurant. I have eaten here several times. The food and the location are fantastic. A number of reviewers have mentioned service issues. The staff needs to be trained. Measures need to be put into place on how quickly guests are approached when they enter, how long it takes to get a cocktail, how the staff interacts with the customer, including service-oriented behaviors and attitudes. Staff needs to listen carefully to what the customer says and check they heard correctly. There's no proactive engagement or sense of feeling special. As a return customer, I feel like I'm being "processed" through dinner--I'm not having an "experience." I don't think I'll return.
- Indifferent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014Food was alright, but the service was very inattentive and disorganized. It wasn't just that it took a while for our food to come, although it did. It was that we did not seem to have any server assigned to our table, or, if we did, that person did not make himself or herself known to be that person. Someone came by and asked if we wanted to order food. As we started to say no, he walked away, and we had to quickly ask if we could please order our drinks. That person took our drink orders begrudgingly. Water glasses remained unfilled for quite a while. The plate that was put down in front of me was not solidly on the table. The list goes on. It was as though no one had ever trained the wait staff and no one was managing them.Special Features:
- ctgourmandVIPDined on 8/7/2014While the food at Utsav is generally very good, whenever we go we have issues with the service because on several separate occasions we have requested the lights be turned up or that menus be given to us and it takes multiple requests to get this accomplished. The service is just not up to par with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lousy serviceDoctorMVIPDined on 8/1/2014We were on a very tight timeline because we had a 7:30 curtain at the Laura Pels Theatre next door. I mentioned that in my reservation and again when my friend arrived at 6:30. Despite that, we had to practically stand on our heads to get service to our table. And the restaurant was not full at all. Food was fine, but our anxiety about getting to the theatre on time really spoiled the experience. We've been here many times but were never on such a time crunch. We made it to the theatre in time, but our experience was very disappointing at the restaurant. I will definitely not return if I have time challenges like this.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014Really great food! Will return again - hopefully soon!!Special Features:
- Great indian buffetBillVIPDined on 7/30/2014Too crowded and service cleaning the tables was less than stellar. Also a bit expensive at 20.95 for a lunch buffet.
- Nice locationRedyDined on 7/26/2014The decor is nice. Its expensive. The food was nicely presented but disappointing.
- Utsav is wonderful!zebra207Dined on 7/24/2014I used to work in the vicinity (Rockefeller Center area) many years ago and always wanted to go to Utsav but somehow never got the chance. I finally made it there this week (24 July 2014). I am so sorry I never got there earlier -- the place is fabulous! From the minute I walked in (beautiful environment) until the time I left, I and my party of 3 were attended to by very friendly staff. The food -- all of it -- was delicious. We all sampled each others' dishes, and there was not one item I could honestly say I didn't like or I could complain about. I will be sure not to let so much time go by before I return here. Thank you all very much for a wonderful dining experience!
- Wonderful Dinner!DknightDined on 7/21/2014We were just there for dinner and had a great experience. The service was good, the only thing is I found there were alot of people around and everyone bringing you a different course. When we needed something no one was coming over. The food was delicious and plentiful. It was a nice quiet restaurant, bring a Monday that was expected. Overall we had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but spicyOnetimeonlyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Everyone enjoyed the food except the lady who requested a dish be made mild. They do not do mikd very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Indian near BroadwayLulubelle91Dined on 7/15/2014It is in a very good location off 6th Avenue at 46th st. very near most of the Broadway theaters. The service was lacking, but the food was very very good. It was quiet.....not particularly pretty, but not ugly..... Quite good....(and quick).
- Service was terribleNYNYDined on 7/11/2014Server had a cold and was sniffling quite noticeably while serving our food. It completely ruined our dining experience.
- Best Indian RestaurantMartinDined on 7/11/2014We enjoy Indian food and thought this was the very best Indian restaurant we have been to with an elegant ambiance,pleasant and efficient service close to our theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodMandDVIPDined on 7/10/2014We went to this restaurant pre-theatre and totally loved it. The staff was friendly and courteous, and obviously aimed to please. The service was excellent as was the food. Would highly recommend as both a great theatre district/midtown restaurant and one for lovers of fine Indian food.Special Features:
- Just okwkcalDined on 7/7/2014Wanted Indian for lunch but was hoping for more upscale. When we were seated at the table I asked about a menu but was told they had a buffet. Later I saw others were ordering off a menu and was disappointed as I am not a fan of the buffet setting. If you want a nice place for lunch I would not recommend. Buffet price for NYC was reasonable so if you want an Indian buffet for lunch at a reasonable price and ok food then this is just fine.
- The following 559 reviews are from the Utsav Indian Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014Wonderful food and a good view for people-watching. Service is good, prices are very reasonable, menu is diverse and the food is oh, so good.
- Delicious!DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 6/25/2014The most perfectly cooked tandoori chicken I have ever had- so good! Every other dish had perfect and lovely flavors. Window seats are a fun view and the service was very friendly. I just moved to the neighborhood and this will be my "go to" Indian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good classic Indian foodKbrown430VIPDined on 6/24/2014We tried Utsav for a pre-theater meal because of its proximity to our show. The food was very good, service was prompt and the prices were reasonable. We had the Prix Fix meal which offered a reasonable variety of classic Indian dishes, but the menu was much more extensive and comprehensive. Would definitely go back for another meal and sample a wider variety when we have more time.
- Simple setting - good foodjoeddinerDined on 6/17/2014I attended a buffet lunch at Utsav and was very happy with the choice. The setting was very simple, in fact, quite utilitarian, but the food was excellent. There was an abundant supply of choices and each was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I have been going to Utsav for 10 years. I love the lunch full of surprises. The waiters are so cheerful and subservient. The waiters were too eager to clear off our table. That was annoying. The view of the garden below is attractive. The food has unusual and exciting flavors which are not found anywhere else. The good sign was that there are Indian immigrants and tourists there which indicates authentic food.Special Features: