92-1001 Olani Street
Kapolei, HI 96707Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ihilani.com/
- Phone: (808) 679-2166
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday - Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Bonny Valdez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ushio Tei Restaurant offers two private Tatami Rooms, showcasing traditional Japanese-style dining. The large Tatami room accommodates up to 10 people and the smaller accommodates up to 8. Reservations are highly recommended and a 20% service charge is inclusive.
- Private Party Contact: Dining Reservations 8086790079
- Special Events: We will be offering a special menu for the holidays. Please call our dining reservations at 808-679-3166 for a copy of our holiday menu.
A word from Ushio-tei
Named for the subtle tides of Hawaii, Ushio-Tei is a quiet oasis in an authentic setting adjoining a peaceful Japanese garden. Ushio-Tei serves traditional Japanese fare including sushi and sashimi.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Ushio-tei - Best Restaurants in Ko Olina ›
Ushio-tei reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (10)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- DINE OUTCarefreeDined on 11/1/2014Great food - consists of three food groups: meat, seafood and vegetables. The dessert is very good especially the sake jell tart - that's the best! Never have that dessert before anywhere else. It's just the room is little warm ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was good sushi barbdayDined on 10/24/2014First time eating here. Awesome service. Very quiet we was the loudest. Love the fruity shots. Too bad it will probably our last time they will be shut down Dec.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gary DGmony808Dined on 9/21/2014Great food, staff and ambiance. The choices they have for the Buffett is fantastic. The sashimi, steak, various sushi's, oh and tempura were our favorites. Everything was just so Ono! Great happy hour deals the local boy sushi was a winner! Jocelyn our waitress was really nice and very attentive. The feel of the restaurant was mellow and quite. Nice and relaxing. Sad to say they might be closing due to hotel being sold to a new owner. Hopefully they reopen somewhere. If not thanks for all the great meals and memories. MahaloSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KagemushaDined on 9/15/2014This restaurant sports a Japanese environment; from the blue flags with kanji at the entrance to the Japanese garden out back. There is a plethora of well-priced Japanese cuisines as well as some very tasty starters. If you're into sushi, sashimi, and other delectable Japanese foods, this is a great place to dine. The buffet is large scale, but for the price ($43 at the time of this review), I enjoyed all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visit before year endOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/6/2014It's tragic that Ushio-Tei (and the JW Marriott) will be closing down at the end of the year for a 1-year renovation and likely rebranding….to a Four Seasons resort. Ushio-Tei's Japanese buffet is, in my opinion, the best on Oahu for the price. Wafu steak, shrimp tempura, nigiri sushi, sashimi and the desserts are my favorites. If you haven't been to Ushio-Tei, get there before year end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ko Olina Area SushiQueenoftheUniverseDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant currently houesd in J W Marriott is superb. We had scallops appetizer (cooked) and the scallops were perfect. The sushi was excellent and our cocktails were something one would expect in Hawaii. Bonus was walking past the shark and sting ray "pools" very unique experience!! Go there if your travels take you to the WEST side of O'ahu!!Special Features:
- BuffetGrumpyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Not the famous investor choice, just fair-plus Japanese chosen for convenience.
- Less than expectedAnaniaJimDined on 8/3/2014The view and the service were both wonderful. For a buffet at a seaside Marriot hotel, the selection was very limited. Food quality was fine but the overall taste was unremarkable. Items on the buffet line were not replenished often enough to ensure a complete offering with each trip to the line. We expected more and find it hard to give more than two stars overall.Special Features:
- The following 143 reviews are from the Ushio-tei reviews archive.
- Best buffet ever!NoCalSnobDined on 6/20/2014I don't normally do buffets, and wasn't planning to when we went here for our anniversary dinner, but this place is special. The food is FRESH. And delicious. The tempura was light and tasty. The ahi, both in the sashimi and the rainbow roll, was as good as I've ever had. The chicken teriyaki had an understated sauce - yummy and not too sweet - and was perfectly cooked, tender and juicy. This is a buffet that does not taste like a buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised: Wrong Menu on OpenTableHackerDined on 6/15/2014This review is for a later visit, not the one set up by OpenTable, which almost ruined Father's Day by posting a Japanese menu not the Western breakfast buffet that was offered. What happened was that the Naupaka moved its regular breakfast buffet to the Ushio-tei location. This important detail was not noted by OpenTable's menus. We learned of this the day before, when we confirmed the Ushio-tei reservation. Since we had been to the Naupaka buffet many times, we made other arrangements at an inconveniently early time (that's all we could get at the last minute). This was the second time Open Table showed the wrong menu. For a recent Mother's Day, OpenTable showed the wrong Hakone menu and severely understated the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fuzzy1750Dined on 6/2/2014Service was outstanding, buffet was well worth it. Good variety of food including sushi and sushemi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible serverWBWGYVIPDined on 5/31/2014I wish I could remember her name - it was after 9pm and we were the only table in the restaurant. She treated us like royalty, even though we had the sushi buffet (which is great) - she was constantly at our beck and call. At the end she even presented a lovely moshi dessert for our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes and NoGoodEaterDined on 5/11/2014Went to dinner for Mother's Day. The spread was good. The food quality was good as always, there were just a few surprises I wasn't expecting. When we were seated, I expressed concerns over the height of the table, which were dismissed by the hostess and a higher chair was brought for my grandmother, who has a hip replacement. Then, come to find out, we were placed in a pretty high traffic area (I'm not sure if there's normally a table there during regular times), and had to deal with a lot of bumps on our chairs as the meal time went on. Our waitress was more concerned about clearing plates then checking on what was needed (rice, tea, utensils -- which were whisked away on plates). The moms liked it, but service wasn't the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magicalyummy4tummyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Outstanding Ushio- Tei Manager, Annette Warashina, and her excellent staff from hostess to bartender to chefs and servers (Song Hee is amazing!) ensure one a consistently magnificent dinner. We have been fans for years and are always welcomed like family. An evening at this lovely restaurant is refreshingly restorative to one's spirit -- the beautiful surroundings, great food, and abundant aloha feel like one took a mini-vacation in paradise. Simply magical! Hope you all give it a whirl soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasureyummy4tummyVIPDined on 4/20/2014Manager Annette Warashina and her capable staff (Song Hee is the best server ever!) continue to do an outstanding job, year after year. Dinners here are always exceptional from food to service to ambiance. This local gem is one of our most favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/16/2014A buffet doesn't have to mean an abundant selection of items. Ushio Tei prepares a moderately-sized buffet line of excellent tasting dishes…..the freshest sashimi, thick cuts of tender steak w/ wafu sauce, light & crispy tempura [w/ flavorful tsuyu], assorted sushi rolls, miso salmon…….and the teri-chicken (I never go back for teri-chicken at buffets, but had 2 servings at Ushio Tei). Aside from the food (which is already reason enough to eat here), they have happy hour every night until 6pm, a scenic view of the Pacific, great, friendly service, and a Kama'aina discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner.LissasembraceDined on 3/15/2014I chose this restaurant because my daughter (whose birthday it was) loves Japanese food. My first visit (another time) did not invole a buffet. So we were very surprised to see that there was one. Everyone except my youngest chose the buffet. We all loved the food. Drinks were great and the service was awesome. They even brought over a special desert for my eldest since it was her birthday and the staff were always checking that we were enjoying our meal and that we had everything we needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our first timeSSYAVIPDined on 3/8/2014We like Japanese food & enjoy buffets, so we thought we'd give it a try here on a Friday night. Not bad. Our server was very friendly & helpful. The wafu steak was overcooked on the buffet line so my dad asked if they could cook him a medium rare steak & they did! Awesome! I like that you can add as much daikon to your tempura sauce & the sashimi is portioned in little dishes. And a nice view of the Koolina lagoon is a bonus.Special Features:
- Can't wait for a repeat visit!MMB2014Dined on 3/7/2014Great healthy selections, great service, relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent-careful of buffetwild55Dined on 3/7/2014We made it a kid free night while in Hawaii; had a wonderful dinner here. We picked this place because I love sushi, my husband not. We did the Friday/Sat night buffet. It was wonderful. My husband filled up on steak and I hit the table with all the seafood. Miso was the best I've ever had. A seaweed salad that was fabulous. My only disappointment was there wasn't really any sushi on the sushi table. A lot of amazing and creative rolls, but I think if we were to go back, I'd just order sushi off the menu and leave the buffet for my husband. Even though we made it a kid free night, there were several children in the restaurant and they fit in fine. Wonderful Sake list and fabulous, personal service. Attentive, not too hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food / ServiceWaruBozuDined on 1/1/2014Very tasty & enjoyed just talking to each other Husband loved the different assortment of sushi dishes. Our waitress made sure everything is okay. Our family & friends comes to eat here when they canSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great buffetConnie1998Dined on 12/25/2013Went here for Xmas dinner buffet with family and the food was great! I've been here a couple times before and the buffet has definitely improved. They added more items and the food was of great quality which is unexpected for most buffets. The service was attentive and polite. The only 2 improvements I would suggest is to 1) move the dessert section to another area as it was very cramped in the corner and it was also mixed with the rest of the main courses so it was difficult to find and you felt like you were interfering with others getting their meal, 2) the dessert selection wasn't very big and they could've offered more items for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Japanese food buffetcokano1017Dined on 12/25/2013I rather have quality over quantity. This is why I love Ushio-tei's buffet, the quality is way better than someplace like makino chaya. The price is higher but you get top quality food. If you don't mind paying a little higher, the buffet is well worth it. The selection maybe limited but quality makes up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT WORTH THE PRICEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS. HOWEVER; THE SELECTION OF FOOD, THE LACK OF PROMPT SERVICE, THE DINING LAYOUT, AND THE $60 PRICE PERSON FOR THEIR CHRISTMAS BUFFET WAS NOT WORTH IT.Special Features:
- Large groups (8+) were diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/21/2013Large groups (8+) were dining there with kids, not what one would want for a romantic evening with kids screaming and shouting. Buffet was not bad but neither good, sushi was ok and the fish seemed fresh but sushi rice was overcooked and was not sticky at all. The rice on the sushi would fall apart weather or not you dipped it in soy sauce. Buffet did include appetizers and dessert which was a bonus but it was overpriced for ok food. Would not go there again there are certainly better sushi restaurants in Oahu. But if you have a group of kids go there the buffet seemed exactly what kids might want.Special Features:
- Delicious Buffet!irisaDined on 12/20/2013The food was all very tasty. The area to get your food is small but considering the size of the restaurant it fit perfectly. The Japanese ingredients were all of good quality. I like it when the sushi rolls are the authentic Japanese nori. The chicken teriyaki and wagyu beef was excellent. Everything was fresh and delicious. I would definitely go back again, make sure you have a large appetite otherwise you will not get your money's worth. We ordered drinks and it was mixed perfectly.Special Features:
- DifferentFoodieDined on 12/2/2013I've eaten at a lot of different establishments over the years, as a huge fan of sushi i was very excited when i heard this place was attached to our hotel. Then i saw the menu... not a whole lot of anything to be excited about. The sushi that i ate was good, the rest of the menu was lack-luster at best. For the money spent I feel like i should have gotten more...
- Good food. very low chairsVikingDined on 11/29/2013Tall thin husband's legs fell asleep sitting in those low child size seats. Would have been better to sit on the floor or have seating option.Special Features:
- Nice buffet, not bigrvhoofVIPDined on 10/25/2013We went for the buffet. The buffet is not big but they have a nice select I onwettig a variety of rolls, no sushi or sashimi, great steak teriyaki and miso salmon, tasty seaweed salad and wonderful ahi poke. They had a nice selection of deserts and a great sake selection. Too bad they do not always offer the buffet or we would have gone back again another day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at best...RealcommentsonlyDined on 10/20/2013We ate the buffet... For the only japanese restaurant in the hotel one would imagine a huge difference in service perhaps ambiance, the food was fair at best and the desserts looked bought not hand made... I have yet to find that authentic feel in any local japanese restaurant.
- Paying more for the resort localeSushiVacationDined on 10/18/2013I went to the buffet, which I thought was pretty good value overall. But I didn't really like the sushi that much. It wasn't bad, just not great. I find better sushi back home. I did really like the teriyaki steak. It was cooked perfectly. The service was very good--friendly and attentive. So it's a nice dinner out, but as long as you're okay spending $40-50/person.
- We chose the buffet, it hadBustersmom01Dined on 9/27/2013We chose the buffet, it had many delishious optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of Ko OlinaKSUDine11VIPDined on 8/30/2013After reading reviews, we decided to try the Friday night buffet even though I will generally avoid buffets. I was very pleasantly surprised by the outstanding quality of the sushi as well as the other options, including great teriaki chicken, and other delicious items. Our outside table was very nice too- the experience was so good that we are returning again tonight and no doubt will make this a regular stop for all our future trips to Ko OlinaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ushio-TeiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/19/2013This is a nice little Japanese Restaurant at the Ihilani Hotel in Ko'Olina. They have a buffet 3 nights a week at a price of about $43 per adult. We first experienced this restaurant while on vacation in February of 2013 and it was fabulous. We ended up eating there 4 times over the course of a week and a half. We just recently visited the restaurant again this August and the food was not as fresh. They offer quite a bit of variety on their buffet, but the lettuce was wilted for salads, the miso was not very good, the tempura not so hot either. It was good, but not great. I can, however, highly recommend the Yellowtail sashimi appetizer with truffle oil and black salt, OMG ... so delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013The buffet was delicious for the price. Lots of food. I will be back again if we have the chance. Hopefully the buffet is still offered since I heard that it is not always offered.Special Features:
- Buffet Selection is LimitedlovedisneyDined on 8/17/2013We found the buffet was good, not great. However, I did find the chicken teriyaki and miso salmon was quite good. The sushi was limited but fresh. The dessert was only okay. However, we had a very attentive and great server.Special Features:
- to go again and againy9hawaiiDined on 8/16/2013It is a content very satisfying. And excellent customer service. I also would like to use.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Longtime favoriteAngelfood1VIPDined on 8/9/2013Ushio-tie has become an absolute must whenever we visit Ko Olina (8 times & counting). The Friday buffet is the best with fresh sushi, delicious tempura, poke, salads, steak & sumptuous desserts. Great value, can always count on it. We splurged a little & ordered the local ahi sashimia la carte which was incredibly fresh & melted on the tongue. Worth every penny. The service was delightful, & we found a quiet spot at the sushi bar, away from the bustle & din of families with kids. Joel, the sushi chef was masterful & kept us entertained. A night to remember. Look forward to our return next year.fSpecial Features:
- RelaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2013Great dining experience at a reasonable price! We did not have the buffet, but the normal sit down dinner was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I do not usually like buffet-stylepavellioDined on 6/21/2013I do not usually like buffet-style dining, as the food tends to get cold and old. However, they put small portions out, so the buffet food is fresh ... and absolutely deliciious. We were also amazed that they are able to provide such good food and such variety for a relatively low price. The wait staff and bus staff was also excellent. Very courteous without being intrusive. A really pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.