Ursula's Wine Bar
2125 4th Street
White Bear Lake, MN 55110-2757Neighborhood:
White Bear Lake
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ursula's Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ursulaswb.com/
- Phone: 6514299600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Whalen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is tailored to the individual request.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant closes down for private dining affairs.
- Private Party Contact: Kurt Hegland 6514299600
A word from Ursula's Wine Bar
Ursula"s Wine Bar & Cafe is a quaint, intimate, quiet fine dining restaurant. With 39 seats it is a romantic setting for a first date or anniversery. The monthly changing menu offers selections that showcases local farmers. The award winning wine list contains 150 wines. The outdoor deck creates a beautiful place to enjoy Minnesota summer. The staff is friendly and knowledgable. Ursula's brings back thoughts of a small European bistro in a metro suburban setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ursula's Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- UnsatisfactoryMrChowDined on 6/24/2013I was here recently for a date night and had a less than satisfactory experience. The restaurant has a very strong, unpleasant odor that was very distracting during our meal. Also, although i am accustomed to paying high dollar for quality food, the portions were ridiculously small given the price. We ordered the lamb skewers for $9.00 and only received 2 skewers that were about the size of baby carrots and some plain lettuce leaves. Very disappointing. The service was good- all wait staff were friendly.
- bad service, no wine list?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2013We'd been looking forward to going to Ursula's for quite some time since we love wine bars and downtown White Bear is cute. After arriving, our server informed us that they didn't have a wine list but that we could tell her what kind of wine we liked and she'd bring it. Seemed sort of disappointing being that we were at a wine bar so expected a good selection or at least to be able to pick from a list. After ordering, I overheard the server ask the bartender which wine was which and he responded "they won't know the difference." At this point we were unimpressed to say the least but ordered an appetizer. The cheese plate was lackluster and didn't come with any bread, the server never took our dinner order and never refilled wine.
- Not up to parlisaDined on 6/10/2013Inside the restaurant, it smelled so much like pinesol, I could hardly breath. Luckily the sun was out & we could sit on the deck. Yet, 2 of 3 umbrellas were broken & the ambiance was less than on my own patio. The wine was good but not worth the price & only about 1/4 of a glass. The food was fair but for the price, I would have expected better. The trout was very good. The filet was tasteless & chewy. The creme brulee was partly cold & partly warm, which was not very appealing and it had no presentation to it. No different than any other restaurant that costs 1/2 as much. After years of waiting to try this restaurant due to the prices I have to say that I was completely disappointed and will stick to my regular places in WBL.
- No Wine ListOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2013It amazed us that this wine bar did not have a wine list. We were told that that they were in the middle of seasons. In addition, our waitress did not have knowledge in regards to wine. Though the food was very good overall, we were very disappointed.
- DisappointmentWeezieDined on 6/8/2013We have been to Ursala's several times over the past few years (probably two to three times a year). The food was outstanding as ever. There are not significant adjectives to describe the quality and presentation of the food. The service was a complete disappointment. We have never had such poor service (even at McDonalds) and unless something comes to our attention providing a reason for this poor service and assuring us that there will be changes made, I doubt that we will bother visiting Ursala's again.
- Always perfect . . .timetodineDined on 6/7/2013No matter what our mood is, Ursula's fits right in> Kurt & Sarah greet us like ole friends. The food is fabulous, the wine always delicious (we have Kurt pick out our bad habits for us). A true "neighborhood Gem".Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2013Went for a dinner and the food was delicious, not a wine drinker so can't comment on that too much but they had a good selection if you wanted it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect neighborhood bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/23/2013Tired of the deafening restaurant scene? Want fantastically prepared food, small seating, and one of the best wine lists in town? Owner/bartender Kurt has has the place for you! It is homey and welcoming, a perfect neighborhood bistro, where regulars begin to recognize each other. We go at least once a week, and his reasonably prices and low markup in wine make it very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try somewhere elselaserDined on 5/11/2013I must have been in a different place than the other reviewers. 1st impression, smelled like Lysol or a cheap bar urinal cake. White table cloths, oh wait they covered those with a sheet of paper. Took an hour for my steak to arrive, it was cooked as ordered and had a really nice rub, too bad I had to leave 1/2 of it due to fat and gristle. My side was 5 green beans. Coffee was good though, no wait, the bottom of my cup was full of grounds, waitress just poured more in, instead of offering a clean cup. My date's crab cakes could be copied from any frozen food section. Rudy's or Gordy's would be a much, much better choice for the money, or any of the others within a mile and save $30.
- Love this unique wine barWine2LoveVIPDined on 5/5/2013This is a great little place in downtown Whitebear Lake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White Bear Lake's #1 RestaurantqwertyDined on 5/4/2013Ursula's Wine Bar in White Bear Lake was a fabulous choice for my partner and I as we celebrated our anniversary. The professional wait staff and host greeted us promptly and seated us quickly. The small restaurant is at once a high class dining experience, and a friendly down-to-earth spot for couples and friends. The wait staff is friendly and the manager was a polished, charming professional. The food was a glorious surprise. I had a light penne served with a mushroom spinach cream sauce and rabbit-rattlesnake sausage. I was quite clearly the predator of my dish, and I may have eaten it with something less than finesse. Ursula's is a worthy choice for any looking for flavorful, interesting food and a pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Yet again!NomNomDined on 5/2/2013I've been to ursulas a few time and I've never been disappointed. My only concern was the lack of wine. It used to be full of different wines. I hope they are not closing..because I would be very sad.Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance.QuasimodoDined on 4/27/2013First time experience here. Went with another couple for Saturday night dinner. Cozy and quiet atmosphere which allowed for good conversation. Chicken breast with risotto was very good, as was flat bread special. Lamb shank was rated "ok". Service was attentive and friendly. Entrèes start at $20.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strong smell of Pine sol cleaner---OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013Strong smell of Pine sol cleaner---not very pleasantSpecial Features:
- Good wine list. Good food,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/12/2013Good wine list. Good food, but wish menu had a few more entrees. Don't go without a reservation.Special Features:
- nice local wine barkellyDined on 4/7/2013Good appetizers and entrees. A little expensive. Great wine list. Service was OK but wasn't too busy which was good for the one waitress.Special Features:
- Go for 1st & 2nd Courses/not entreePenny4urthtsVIPDined on 3/29/2013I have very mixed feelings towards Ursula's. Atmosphere could be better. I assume the wine steward/bartender is the owner. He could definitely be more friendly. almost felt we were imposing. crab cakes, eggplant salad and carrot soup were phenomenal. Entrees did not make it past bland and boring. We were so pleased with our first and second courses we were expecting to be overwhelmed with fabulous entrees. Did NOT happen. We had the coffee roast beef which honestly - I've had better at a diner. Nothing really to recommend it. The pork tenderloin was worse! no sauce, no spices, no herbs. just plain fried(?) slices of pork tenderloin on a bed of raw spinach. I make an awesome currant/cassis pork tenderloin that blew this away.
- Enjoyable dinner in a quietOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2013Enjoyable dinner in a quiet atmosphere with beautiful local art featured on walls.Special Features:
- Very small dining room withnonamesformeVIPDined on 3/25/2013Very small dining room with wine bar which appears to target the affluent 40-70 year old demographic. Small menu, variable results. Nothing was bad, but nothing was outstanding either. A great Groupon value, less of a value at full price. But, that being said, it's nice to have some non chain dining in the White Bear area!!!! We will return, occasionally.Special Features:
- First time visit to Ursula'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/23/2013First time visit to Ursula's (Groupon brought us in). The food was outstanding. The service amazing. The ambience excellent. What a quaint little restaurant!Special Features:
- Overpriced flavorless food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Overpriced flavorless food. No pepper available or offered. We had a reservation and yet felt we were rushed out of there in 45 minutes. Much better options in White Bear Lake. Won't go back.
- Not coming back...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013We were there for three hours and the waiter only asked us once if we wanted to order a drink. He never asked us if we wanted a second glass of wine so we did not. We had to constantly ask for refills on water and then we had to ask for coffee with our desert and then we had to ask for refills on coffee. We basically were ignored the entire evening. We felt really wanted....
- We had a fantastic time.csdcc0Dined on 3/15/2013We had a fantastic time. The food was great and the staff was awesome!Special Features:
- Ursula's s a dining gem inDavieaDined on 3/12/2013Ursula's s a dining gem in White Bear Lake. Small but very tasty menu.Special Features:
- I loved the wine selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2013I loved the wine selection and the amazing entree. It's a cozy little place in downtown White Bear. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Service, while gracious, wasCarpDined on 3/7/2013Service, while gracious, was slow. Wait staff seemed to consist of one waiter and a bartender when we were there. Don't know if the slow service was caused by slow kitchen or busy waiter. Still, our group of four enjoyed thw low level of the music and background noise which allowed us to converse while waiting for our food. The food was very good and my only complaint was that the rice served with the trout was mushy and wet rather than fluffy and firm.Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)JimmyDined on 2/28/2013Owner has a smug attitude. Chicken was dry and had little taste. Fish was not flavorful. Service was slow. Reservation are required and no other accommodations were attempted on a previous visit.
- Even tho it was a busy nightdissapointedVIPDined on 2/28/2013Even tho it was a busy night - every table was full - the service was still top notch! Owner always has a good wine to recommend!
- Waited too long to get check,OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/27/2013Waited too long to get check, never brought to table. We went to bar to pay.
- Great hidden gem!FoodieLoversDined on 2/24/2013Great daily specials, superb wine list and a very friendly, intimate atmosphere. The base menu is not huge, but I've never had trouble finding something between the menu and specialls that both sounded appealing and tasted even better. Usually, I'm choosing between two or three options. It's a bit off the beaten path, but well worth the trip!Special Features:
- Ursala's had a unique menuOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/23/2013Ursala's had a unique menu with choices you won't find just anywhere. The food was great and portion sizes were neither too big or too little. We even had room for dessert. I also really enjoy how small and intimate this place is. It is a very cool place for a special night out!Special Features:
- Service was great,food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Service was great,food was outstanding we had a wonderful time and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- We had another good time atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2013We had another good time at Ursula's. The staff is great and the food was very good. I only wish there was a few more choices for entrees (less game items), but thats just me. My husband loved it.
- Excellent food, wine and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Excellent food, wine and atmosphere. We will eat there again.Special Features:
- Thoughtful, creative chefOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/22/2013We asked the server if the chef had a vegetarian option not listed on the menu. She returned offering a vegetable stir fry on lentils. Delicious! Thanks to the chef for understanding. It should be on the menu all the time.Special Features:
- Excellent is everything aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Excellent is everything about Ursulas Wine Bar. The experience begins with a warm geeting from the owner and ends with good strong coffee. I like calling on Kurt for wine suggestions to match the food. He will suggest a glass or a bottle from his vast cellar. I like Ursulas because it is small and cozy. The menu, is always interesting, making it difficult to chose. My main course was trout over French lentils with a red pepper sauce. They do not try to do too much, so what they do is lovely. I highly suggest the drive to White Bear Lake to expereince this under the radar gem.Special Features:
- We had a reservation, andMonicaDined on 2/21/2013We had a reservation, and were seated about 45 minutes late. It's a small intimate restaurant, so if one or two tables take extra long, what can they do? Once we were seated, I thought our service and the food was great. The menu wasn't extensive, but their menu had unusual things like pinapple risotto and mole sauce. Yes, I want to go back. As an added bonus, there was accoustic music happening that night. I love quiet live music, just adds to my evening experience.Special Features:
- Need more staff for busy timesBirderVIPDined on 2/14/2013This is a good little restaurant in which we have dined many times; however when it is busy, the staff is easily overwhelmed. On Valentine's day, we were seated rapidly; however there were only 2 servers (and a bus girl) in the dining room and they were stressed. The people at the table next to us waited a VERY long time even for water. This used to be a favorite of ours, but now we will have to be sure to go on nights when it's not crowded (no Saturday nights or holidays). I know that all restaurants have more trouble with crowds, but most good ones handle it better.
- Ursula's is my favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2013Ursula's is my favorite place to eat fine food paired with great wine. [Period]Special Features:
- The server was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2013The server was very attentive and helpful. The owner recommended an excellent wine. My only hesistation from ranking it more highly was the very small table size and the somewhat casual environment. If you want to get dressed up and go out fancy, this isn't the place. But if you want interesting food and excellent wine with great service, this is the place.Special Features: