2121 P St NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.urbanadc.com/
- Phone: (202) 956-6650
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00AM - 10:30AM; Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 3:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 8:00AM - 3:00PM; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM; Dinner: Friday and Saturday 5:30PM - 11:00PM; Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4:00PM - 7:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Ethan McKee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We know you want your DC event to wow, whether it’s a splashy wedding bash, a campaign fundraiser or just an intimate get-together with friends. At Urbana, our sleek décor provides a modern, comfortable setting for your unforgettable Dupont Circle event. We can accommodate everything from the smallest events to restaurant buyouts for up to 200 guests. Our secret ingredient is Chef Ethan McKee, who oversees Urbana’s original, taste-tempting menu of light, fresh dishes inspired by the Italian coast. For more info about special events at Urbana, contact DeDee Woldesenbet or call 202-448-1877.
- Special Events: Monday-Friday happy hour from 4pm-7. Featuring a wide array of beverage options, including craft cocktails and assorted beers and wines, our menu has something for every taste. Our kitchen features $1 oysters, a raw bar and appetizing bar snacks in the Italian tradition.
Join us Sunday Supper for family-style pastas and a homey selection of Chef Ethan’s favorite Italian classics. Because this menu is a seasonal extension of our hospitality, our $35 pre-fixe menu changes monthly.
Start your Saturday night with Apertivo Hour. Drink specials feature Italian-style amaros, cordials, and cocktails. From 4-7 p.m., we will also featured cocktails that highlight our bar team’s latest inspirations.
A word from Urbana Restaurant
Located in Washington DC’s Dupont Circle neighborhood, Urbana’s menu focuses on contemporary Italian cuisine. Drawing on the culinary traditions from Northern Italy, Chef Ethan McKee delivers food that encourages patrons to linger over a mix of both light and indulgent dishes. The menu is complemented by a beverage program featuring craft cocktails, classic Italian amaros, and unique Italian wines. Urbana exudes warm hospitality in a modern setting, making it a perfect gathering place for dining and drinks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Urbana Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Urbana Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)good for groups (21)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (18)notable wine list (15)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Always a great experiencegoodfinesDined on 11/21/2014Great new seasonal menu though I miss the small plates. The wait staff was extremely pleasant. By chance, we were served by the same person that waited on us roughly 6 months ago and it was great that he remember my group. The general manager was also engaging and checked in on ous several times. I had the rockfish and it was very scrumptious. The potato gnocchi was to die for as the broccoli pleasing. GoodfinesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014The menu is creative for either brunch or lunch. Crepe with fresh raspberries was my favorite, while my guest raved about the wild boar hash. Modern, tasteful and inviting decor. Service was excellent - attentive without being intrusive. Anxious to try for dinner..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Mediterainian anymoreDSKramerVIPDined on 11/10/2014We were spending the night in Georgetown, and searched Mediterainian restaurants on Open Table. We reserved at Urbana. Upon arrival the restaurant was empty, but the bar was full. We were seated and scanned the menu; 'isn't this a Mediterainian Cuisine', I asked our waiter? "Well, not so much anymore. We're more contemporary Italian." Food was very oily, and we were very disappointed.
- Great Foor and Service!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014This was our second visit to Urbana while in DC and we were not disappointed with the homemade pastas with inventive ingredients. Mine was the Angolotti with a Rabbit Sausage and mushroom sauce and my wife's was the Mezzaluna with assorted mushrooms and pancetta and black truffle. The main course had followed delectable appetizers of Oysters on the Half Shell (super fresh) and pan seared scallops. The bar was very well stocked and our server took such good care of us. We highly recommend this fine restaurant inside of a fine hotel (Hotel Palmoar) that we were coincidentally staying at. Most enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place for special occasionsJayRDined on 11/1/2014I enjoyed dinner at Urbana. I took my girlfriend to dinner for her birthday and she loved it. I was running a few minutes late and decided to call to notify the staff. The lady on the phone was very courteous and assured us that it wasnt a problem. The place has a very romantic ambiance. A dimly lit place perfect for a nice romantic dinner and conversation over wine. We had the oysters as an appetizer and we both enjoyed the wonderful experience our taste buds received. I had the steak loin tips, and i am telling you to get the steak loin tips. You can never go wrong with steak! I enjoyed my overall experience. Word of advice, look through the menu before you go. I would advice that for every restaurant you go to...it speeds up the process and it gives off the impression that you are well endowed in the fine etiquette of eating out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of DCs BEST Food!!Cazoro8Dined on 10/28/2014Had lunch with business colleagues and the setting was trendy, location easy to get to, food was the best I have had anywhere -- fresh pasta with interesting and well conjured sauces. Service was knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. Did goof one order but that was simply and quickly corrected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was good!lizaliz86Dined on 10/26/2014We had the trout and the shrimp and grits (more like polenta - which was better) and both were delicious. My mother loved her Chesapeake Bloody and I enjoyed my grapefruit vodka something or the other. It wasn't crowded at all so it felt very low key and the table for 2 was sort of large - we felt pretty far apart. The service was great and the hotel is super cute. Great location too.
- Excellent food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Went here for a business dinner and after calling to request a quiet area of the restaurant, they gave us a private room. The service was impeccable as was the food. You MUST try to gnocchi! I could eat that every day and not get tired of that dish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great menu and service. Nice atmosphere in the room. The food was quite good but calamari appetizer was not sufficiently hot and the tagliatelle with rapini didn't have much flavor. Would try again though; the menu is great.Special Features:
- The Wait ServiceStudenWParentsInTownDined on 10/14/2014In a party of four, and on a Tuesday night, we ended up at the Palomar for nearly three hours-- far too long for what was intended! The food was delicious- so if you aren't in a hurry, the Palomar is great.Special Features:
- Bachelorette Party Friendlymoh2Dined on 10/11/2014My sister wanted to eat here to kick off her bachelorette party. When I made my reservation online, I included that we were a bachelorette party so they could plan accordingly and maybe include some complimentary goodies... and they did just that! When we arrived we were promptly greeted by welcoming faces and our table was ready immediately. The prices were definitely reasonable and with 1 guests meal delayed we received some free appetizers. At the beginning of the meal a man from the bar treated us to tequila shots. At the end of the meal the restaurant treated us to a round of champagne! Such a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!smb1986Dined on 10/10/2014I came here a few years ago and then I came back after looking for a different Italian place to have dinner. The service is way better than it was before. Our waiter was amazing. He was attentive without being too intrusive. Everything was fantastic!! Will recommend to friends and visit again!Special Features:
- Unexpected FunLuv2eatDined on 10/4/2014If you are looking for a place that offers good food, great drinks and no pretension, try Urbana. The bartenders are fun and know how to make great drinks, the food was unexpectedly good and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sseatsVIPDined on 9/30/2014Decent pizza and very good sandwiches. A small menu, tho. It was quiet because it was nearly empty at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014Delicious food and attentive service with a lively bar crowd and innovative cocktail menuI would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowme55Dined on 9/29/2014Came here with a friend the other day and all I can say is fantastic. I had heard about the renovations and this place looks amazing. The housemade pastas whoever nana is- she makes amazing cheesecake. Our server was knowledgeable and helped us pick out a wine to pair with the meal. All-around winner.Special Features:
- Thumbs UpMPieDined on 9/22/2014A friend and I went for dinner to check out the renovation--WOW. The bar/lounge space looks awesome, what a change. We usually go to Urbana for drinks and snacks but wanted to try dinner this time around. So glad we did, the food was delicious and our server was super helpful. Overall, I'm excited to come back, you'll see us again soon!Special Features:
- AMAZING!VeegeeDined on 9/20/2014I have loved this place for years but the recent renovation really blew me away--I love the wrap around bar and am happy that what used to be the private dining area is now open to bar patrons. Food and cocktail were fabulous, as always. Thank you for a wonderful evening!Special Features:
- My Go To Spot Looks AmazingGeorgeDined on 9/20/2014I've been here many times and was a bit bummed with them being closed for what seemed like forever for their remodel. I went this past weekend and it looked amazing. The space was beautiful and the bar was huge. I was a bit nervous seeing a new menu, but some of these dishes were incredible (chicken entree was the best). Cocktails good as always as was service.
- Newly renovated …BillVIPDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant just went through a major renovation and the ambiance is wonderful. The menu has also been changed featuring more pastas. Everything we had was delicious and the service was first-rate.
- There are better choices in town!DCDinerDined on 9/13/2014Poor service, OK but certainly not great food. To top it off it is very expensive. I have eaten here many times over the years. I used to think it was great. But the last three or four times it has been disappointing to out right not good. All three at my table felt the same way. We have learned our lesson. There are certainly many better choices in town. Almost any place on 14th street (if you can get in).
- Even better, if that is possibleDCMideDined on 9/12/2014I used to go to Urbana before their remodel for happy hour, brunch and basically anytime I got the chance. I met a friend there for "a quick drink" and didn't leave until they closed. I was surprised to see that they had remodeled but the place was even better - the bartenders are awesome and the drinks are fantastic. When I had friends in town, I decided to take them here for dinner and it did not disappoint. After I got over the initial shock that everything on the menu had changed, we ordered a mix of courses and shared amongst our group. Our server was a mix of humor and efficiency and the manager came to see us as they ran out of a couple of our orders. He offered us other things on the menu gratis! Flavors Galore, excellent service.Special Features:
- Its a hotel restaurant...MontyBDined on 9/6/2014...so expectations were low. Urbanna is attached to the Hotel Palomar. Noise level was fine and conversation was easy. We had the red snapper crudo and the king salmon crudo, and both were well prepared. For mains we enjoyed the pork chop, which was, well, a pork chop and the pork cheek muzzaluna, which was very tasty. Wine list was ok, with a limited number of selections also available by the glass and resonably priced. The service left something to be desired. We felt basically ignored by the waiter who spent a lot of time chatting with an attractive young couple seated near us. A water refill would be nice, you know? OK if you need a quick meal at the hotel but nothing I would return for.
- New and improvedDCFineDinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014Ate here for my boyfriend's birthday dinner not two nights after it reopened after being under renovations for several months. Wonderful experience - the Squid Ink Bucatini was incredible. The dessert paired with a 10-year aged port wine. Waitress was super sweet. Will be back again soon.Special Features:
- Waiting for mediocre foodRrrrVIPDined on 9/4/2014After waiting at the crowded bar for more than 20 minutes after our reservation time, we were subjected to overly salty and overly rich food. Why there was a wait is not clear. There were numerous tables available in the dining room. The pasta was overcooked and way too rich and the fish was also overcooked and way too salty. I was very much looking forward to dining at Urbana, based on its reputation. It seems like the makeover of the restaurant has not been kind to the food.
- The following 1016 reviews are from the Urbana Restaurant reviews archive.
- My worst dining experience everNobanaDined on 7/20/2014The service was the worst. The staff smiled at us but we never felt welcome there. The snarky waiter who ignored us the whole night to the just ok food. I still regret giving an ok tip. The waiter didn't even come over to refill out glasses of water. Well go to Urbana at your own risk.
- Great foodpxrocksDined on 7/20/2014Food was very tasty, nicely varied. Octopus was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday brunchdiningarounddcDined on 7/19/2014This place was not the hopping, open-air brunch place that pulls you in from the street. BUT it was a well designed, sleek restaurant tucked under the side walk with delicious food and $16 bottomless belinis (in four tasty flavors.)Special Features:
- Great Food, Stellar Servicenicolesixx66Dined on 7/18/2014Everything we ordered turned out perfect. The appetizers to the salad, to the entrée and then the dessert. The waiter also recommended a fabulous wine. We had been in DC on work travel for about a week and had dined at some well rated fine dining places. This place was great as the quality of food was same as all the super expensive places, but the prices were broad in range, accommodating pretty wide range of budgets. The homemade noodles were especially awesome! The Octopus was a total hit, as well! Service also stood out to us. Our waiter and all the wait staff were so accommodating and friendly and really knew the food and the wine well. It really made the place stand out as our best dining experience we had in the DC area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First ClassCowboy26Dined on 7/12/2014From the moment I reserved a table I felt like Urbana really cares about their customers. A friendly reminder phone call was very nice. The overall experience was excellent. Food, service, and ambiance exceeded expectations. Would recommend to someone looking for a special night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. But don't go late.ThomasWayneDined on 7/10/2014The food at Urbana is wonderful; our table of four shared a variety of starter and entree plates, including: beet&carrot salad, kale&frisse salad, spring pea soup, charred brussel sprouts, gnocchi, mussels, spinach pappardelle, and kale pizza, and we enjoyed all of them. Unfortunately, our reservation was at 9pm, and we felt rushed through our dinners since our server cleared individual plates as soon as each of us was done without waiting for the whole table to be done, our server didn't offer dessert, and we were surrounded by Urbana workers doing their end-of-night cleaning and and table resetting as we were trying to enjoy our dinners. In addition, we waited at an empty host stand for a bit when we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerZmanDined on 7/5/2014Had a delicious dinner with my wife for our wedding anniversary here last weekend. Tapas style with the option for some regular size meals. The service was fantastic and the food was incredible. Portions sizes are small as the food is high quality so expect to order multiple plates but you should not be dissapointed. Kid friendly as well with some pizza on the menu. Overall we had a great meal and enjoyed our time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Special Worth the TripGeorgeDined on 6/27/2014Went last night for dinner with the lady. Specialty cocktails were truly delicious, great Italian wines on the list and the food was solid. Beet salad, tagliatelle pasta and cauliflower were very good. The steak special, however, was excellent. It was a Ny strip with these perfectly cooked French beans. It made the night. Thanks for a great meal.Special Features:
- Not as impressed as they arebooklovertxDined on 6/21/2014I found it more pretentious than it deserved to be. Three-piece charcuterie, for example, was $15 - and the tasso was so fatty that we couldn't eat it. We were told that dishes are designed so that each person eats 3-4, which meant that the gnocchi was $2/noodle. It wasn't that good! Pastas were good, though overpriced and not consistent in size (mine was a fine size for an entree). Desert donuts no better than if I had gone to Dunkin. Disappointing anniversary dinner - won't return.Special Features:
- EmilyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Amazing as always! Definitely my favorite place to brunch in DC. The food is fantastic, the service is great and the bottomless Bellinis are the #1 reason I keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service, Average FoodDupontDinersDined on 6/20/2014We went in for happy hour and for dinner service. We never made it to dinner despite being there for over an hour. We got in around 5:30 and took a seat at one of the booths just outside the bar. We got our own menus and it was 15 minutes before a server stopped by. We ordered a bottle of white wine, calamari, and mussels. After dropping off our wine, the server said she would get us a chiller for it, and did 10 minutes later. The calamari came quickly, but was average. The mussels came about 20 minutes later, without anyone checking in on us. Again, the mussels weren't bad, but we have had better. We asked a manager more bread that never came and had to ask twice for our check. We saw three managers and countless staff standing around.
- Great Happy Hour foodLeahrheeDined on 6/19/2014Really enjoyed the happy hour specials on food. The calamari was a massive portion (and delicious) for only $5. The pizzas were phenomenal as well. The cocktails were good but I wouldn't pay more than the $7 happy hour price for them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant in Dupont Circle areaDolceVitaDined on 6/15/2014Loved the idea of small plates for sharing, similar to a tapas bar. The restaurant also had a good selection of cocktails and wine list. The location the restaurant was ideal, near Dupont Circle. However it is located at a lower level and did not look too inviting from outside. Once you go in, the ambiance changes completelySpecial Features:
- Good and unusual tapaselaineDined on 6/13/2014Delightful restaurant with tapas menu. We are vegetarians and a very nice selection of tasty treats. Lovely, a bit dark, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapa style Unique FindsAsaMcDined on 6/10/2014This restaurant offers tapa style (small portions) of some unique meals ranging from pizza to hanger steak and seafood. The beet salad was a standout. Location is just couple blocks off Dupont circle and bar was packed appears to be a popular after work stop. It is quite vibrant so not for those desiring a quiet setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.