1421 W Taylor St.
Chicago, IL 60602Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.urbanunionchicago.com/
- Phone: 3129294302
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Thursday: 5-10pm, Friday and Saturday: 5-11pm
Lunch: Monday through Friday: 11am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Shrader
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Watch the chefs prepare your food by sitting at the chef's counter, which has four seats across from the wood-burning oven and with an unobstructed view of the kitchen.
A word from Urban Union
Urban Union is located at 1421 West Taylor Street in Chicago. We specialize in European style small plates with an emphasis on seasonality and market to table freshness. We have a wood burning oven that is the focal point of our restaurant, 6 wines on tap, 30 wines by the glass,over 170 wines by the bottle and a selection of craft spirits. Our seasonal menu from Chef Michael Shrader is focuses on great seafood from around the world. The decor and feel of Urban Union is reminiscent of being tucked away on a small side street in Spain or France. Open kitchen and friendly, prompt service. Spirited conversation and laughter are bountiful!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Urban Union reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was very good --OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/17/2013The food was very good -- I particularly liked the crispy Brussels sprouts and bacon "salad." And it has a nice ambiance. But it looked like they were short staffed = our server was also the bartender, and so our Friday-night service was really slow. We probably would have ordered another shared plate but lost our appetites by the time our server checked back in on us. The wood fire oven also makes it really warm inside of the restaurant.Special Features:
- First Time at Urban UnioncoachjmkDined on 5/15/2013Our first visit to this relative new place was overall very good. We made a reservation for a Wed evening but were the only 4 sitting at a table. There were two groups of 2 at the counter. Pretty quiet. Good wines on tap and by the glass or bottle. All of the salads, and small plates we chose were very good. Brussel sprouts, beets, leeks to begin. Chicken thighs, bbq pork, totelinni and mushroom ravioli were all very good. Ravioli was outstanding. We shared everything. Prices are pretty high for small portions. We did not try entrees. Would definitely try again but bring cash!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good but I justTomTDinerVIPDined on 4/30/2013The food was good but I just don't understand the concept of the small plates and bland presentation. I know that this is the present trend but if it is not for you, as it is not for me, I can't recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- I was very excited to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013I was very excited to try out this new restaurant that came highly recommended by a friend of mine in the restaurant business. I took my parents when they came into town to visit me. While the wine list was wonderful and the food was tasty, I was very disappointed in the service, especially because my parents were unhappy with it the entire time, and I felt that they weren't enjoying the special occasion I had planned. For one, we had no clear server who was specifically ours, and when we needed something we had no idea who to go to. More disappointing was the fact that all the servers had an air of being better than the diners, that we should feel privileged to even be eating at this restaurant and having the food.Special Features:
- The menu on line is not offeredBisneyVIPDined on 4/22/2013The menu on line is not offered at the restaurant (majority of items). I pointed that out to the wait staff a month ago and it has not been corrected. It is annoying. The menu has not changed from a month ago either. Its the for the chef to add more specials or rotate his dishes. I was assured that the chef will be changing his menu in the next few weeks. Can't wait to try something new.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerGoHereNowVIPDined on 4/13/2013We enjoyed the 6 course tasting menu and the ability to request menu items. Service was just right... there when we needed them, not hovering when we didn't.Special Features:
- Try the DuckOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2013Fun place with excellent food prepared in a wood over. Staff tries but were a bit overwhelmed the night we were there. This place is very noisy. Give it a whirlSpecial Features:
- A fantastic dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013The food was great! The wine list was impressive and a decent price points. The waitperson was out of this world, John. We'd go back again just for him! :)Special Features:
- Service a bit slow especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/13/2013Service a bit slow especially after firsted seated, otherwise a perfect experience. Maybe our particular waiter.
- My first time at Urban UnionOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/6/2013My first time at Urban Union the food was great (LOVED the hanger steak and beets), the wine was great, the service was great, but the seating was slightly crammed (with one waiter always putting his rear in my face). My second time are Urban Union the food was so-so (brussel sprouts over salted, chicken thighs way over cooked and had a low fat contect, hanger steak was AMAZING), service was good, seating was crammed again.Special Features:
- This is the first time I'veWendyVIPDined on 4/5/2013This is the first time I've not given glowing reviews to Urban Union. We truly love this place but felt let down during our last visit. We came for lunch and one of the wines on tap (the one I like) was not available(not removed just out of the product). Then we ordered chicken thighs per the menu but were served chicken breast(I would not have ordered if I'd known they had changed the dish as thighs are much tastier than breasts). Lastly, we ordered the cod but a whole snapper was delivered and when we commented on it it was quickly removed and the rightful dish prepared but this left us just sitting and waiting on the correct entree- maybe leaving the wrong dish for us to have while waiting would have been a nice gesture.
- Delicious hangar steak. OnlyLewisVIPDined on 4/2/2013Delicious hangar steak. Only complaint was that it could have been a touch warmer.Special Features:
- Would Go BackOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2013Overall we had a great dinner. The vibe was pretty laid back for a Saturday night... lacked a bit of energy, but it was also nice to have a quiet dinner out. The music selection didn't help either - I love some classic rock, but it was too subdued for a Saturday. We had the octopus appetizer (slightly over dressed), ravioli was delicious and perfectly al dente, whole fish (red snapper that night) with a gremolata was delicious (my suggestion is to offer de-boning), and the salted caramel apple tart was good (the ice cream was WAY too salty though). The service was good. Nothing over the top, but we left happy. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Every trendy restaurant hasTheodoreDined on 3/29/2013Every trendy restaurant has Brussel Sprouts on their menu these days but the crispy Brussel Sprouts here is hands down the best we've ever tasted. It was so good we ordered a second. Excellent service! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- To be honest, this place hasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2013To be honest, this place has amazing potential. The decor is wonderful, the location is great and the menu appears to be good. However, it falls in a couple of places. The first and most disappointing was execution. The food was incredibly salty from start to finish. At first I did not really notice it, but towards the end, plate after plate was incredibly salty. So much so, that I developed a head ache later in the evening. Unfortunately, the wait staff was less than thrilled to hear the complaint. The second issue was the portion sizes. The sizes are tapas styled, but the prices are for a full entree. Overall, this place was completely disappointing. I guess I should have figured that out when only two other tables had patrons.
- They put a unique and deliciouscharlieVIPDined on 3/21/2013They put a unique and delicious spin on everything coming out of the kitchen.Special Features:
- My friend and I visited UrbanNorridgeNaturalDined on 3/21/2013My friend and I visited Urban Union for the first time, checking out their three-course Prix Fixe offering for that particular day. The food was, without exception, absolutely wonderful and got better with each successive course. The total tab, with drinks, came to just under $65, not including tip. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- We enjoyed everything we had.BisneyVIPDined on 3/19/2013We enjoyed everything we had. We went on a Tuesday night and it was very quite. It was nice to be able to have a conversation in a restaurant. They need to update their menu on Opentable's website. Apparently they changed their menu so what I had planned on eating wasn't even on the menu. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- This was our second time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/16/2013This was our second time eating at Urban Union and we've not been disappointed yet.Special Features:
- I want more....HungryGuyVIPDined on 3/15/2013We had 2 salads, farro and brussels sprouts, both great. Ordered a "shared plate" -BBQ pulled pork, very good. Entre roasted salmon also very good. Portion size is an issue. The pork at $15 is about a sandwich sized portion. Salmon at $22 is small and a la carte. Although everything was perpared very well, I wanted more.Special Features:
- We got an early reservationTD27Dined on 3/15/2013We got an early reservation and brought our 15 month old. They were very accommodating to us. We got a dozen oysters and the tasting menu. The portion size was very generous and I enjoyed every course. I cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- Second time in 3 months, differentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/9/2013Second time in 3 months, different menu each time. Love the vibe, urban /sophisticate. Ingrediants are fresh and in season, preperation exclent- staff well trained and friendlySpecial Features:
- Disappointed Diniing DivasDiningdivaDined on 3/8/2013The Dining Diva's were so disappointed. Although the dishes were tasty and the service professional, we left hungry girls. There are no table cloths or even place mats. I really do not care for my silver ware to be on a table that maybe bacteria laden. The dishes were woefully small. There were very few patrons on a Friday evening until much later. I will not be surprised if this restaurant closes soon. In Little Italy not to serve a fair portion is unconscionable. They charged for the bread and then served it burnt--Really? Not worth the cost for this restaurant with much better competition all around it. It is rare that I am disappointed in a restaurant. Urban Union is disappointing. We do not intend to promote Urban Union.
- Charging for table bread (whichJustOKVIPDined on 3/6/2013Charging for table bread (which wasn't even tasty), and failing to inform customers upfront of the departure from the norm of free bread, is annoying.
- Excellent food, small portionscdgchgoVIPDined on 3/6/2013Excellent small portions - not the usual amounts restaurants provide, more like the portions dietitians recommend. I was left wanting more of everything because it tasted so good, but I was comfortably full and did not want to eat again after we left. Service was very good, Ryan was most attentive, not intrusive. I felt that we were a bit rushed, even though the restaurant was a bit empty. Spare, beautiful decor. Clean washrooms. Street parking if you can find it on Taylor, otherwise use the valet because north and soth of Taylor street is limited to those having the proper residential parking zone permit. The prices for wine and beer and cocktails are commensurate with downtown Chicago prices.Special Features:
- It was good. Thought it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/22/2013It was good. Thought it was overpriced just for the amount of food you'll get. Don't go there hungry- you'll spend 200 bucks easily.Special Features:
- Everything was absolutelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/22/2013Everything was absolutely perfect. Service was outstanding. Food was amazing and beautifully presented. I could not recommend this place more highly.Special Features:
- My only criticism is thatFishVIPDined on 2/22/2013My only criticism is that the wine servings seemed a bit dainty.Special Features:
- Great ambience. Server wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/21/2013Great ambience. Server was very attentive, adding great recommendations.Pate appetizer was different and delicious.Special Features:
- Was an amazing date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2013Was an amazing date night spot very close to our house. Dishes were small but satisfying and I would say worth the price. Everything we tried was delicious. Wine, cocktails, etc. will run you minimally $12 per person a round.Special Features:
- Really good food and reallyJCB1VIPDined on 2/15/2013Really good food and really great service. Worth driving to Taylor street!
- Do Not Pass Up Urban Union!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/13/2013Overall, my meal at Urban Union was one of the best meals I have ever had. Everything was just perfect and delicious in every way. The glass of wine I had was one of the best wines I've ever tasted, as well. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. I don't think you can find a better meal in Chicago at this price point.Special Features:
- We will certainly be backOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/11/2013Exceptional wine and fresh, local, and innovative flavor combinations in a comfortable yet modern serting made for an outstanding dinner experience. We will certainly be back.Special Features:
- We celebrated my husband'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013We celebrated my husband's birthday at Urban Union -- perfect choice! We tried the 6 course tasting menu with wine pairings. We loved the interesting combinations -- for example, meatballs with split-pea polenta. Never would we have ordered that on our own, and it was delicious! The wine pairings were perfect, and our server totally spent time with us to talk about the wine. Great decor/ambience. It looked like a nice bar area -- I could totally see coming here for a glass of wine and a small plate. It also would be a blast with a group -- the chef's table was already to go for a group. We definitely will return!Special Features:
- We have been coming to UrbanWendyVIPDined on 2/1/2013We have been coming to Urban Union for dinner since they opened and have enjoyed every meal thanks to an evolving menu that is well executed and attentive service. Now that UU is open for lunch we are even more pleased! Cassoulet and a glass of tempranillo is a perfect way to spend a cold afternoon.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2013Small portions, too small, short pours of wine and so cheap they even charge for bread. Would never go back
- overall a very good experiencechefDined on 1/26/2013overall a very good experience but the portions were WAY to small
- Birthday at Urban Union!ejc24Dined on 1/26/2013Our table was ready when we walked in the door. The noise and energy levels were very high but not overwhelming (Saturday night). Our server was fun, helpful and knowledgeable. When the food arrived, we got a little reminder/tutorial on the ingredients and prep. Delicious items with some surprises. The featured Montepulciano by the glass was a little thin, but three of us shared a very nice bottle off the extensive (& a bit pricy) wine list, with a little help from our server. Much better. Lots of tasty options for cold seafood items: mussels, crab, oysters. Instead of dessert, we finished with one of the cheese options. A unique, fun dining experience at a fair price.Special Features:
- Great food, good wine, niceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Great food, good wine, nice environment and great service. Definitely will be going back, unique flavors that will leave you wanting moreSpecial Features:
- Despite the reputation andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/21/2013Despite the reputation and given that it belongs to the just-a-little-better-than-average small plates category it is overpriced. Food is OK, but chef's imagination does not always works to food's advantage.