Hilton San Francisco
333 O'Farrell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.urbantavernsf.com/
- Phone: 4159234400
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Snacks 11:30AM - 11:30pm
Lounge 11:30am - until late
Seven Days A Week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Sergio Shantoja
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We host Private dining Events from 20ppl - 160. Please call for more information.
- Special Events: 1/2 Priced Bottles of Wine on Sunday Nights.
Free Corkage on Monday Nights.
A word from Urban Tavern
Urban Tavern is a fun exciting Gastropub in Downtown's Union Square. Our philosophy is to provide comforting & fun, tavern-style food, using only the most pristine, local, and whenever possible organic and sustainable ingredients. Most of these items are made in house or sourced from within 200 miles of the restaurant. Urban Tavern takes advantage of our local bounty not only for our cuisine but also in our bar, from our exclusive domestic wine list to our highly acclaimed beer selection. Fusing modern and classic technique with California sensibilities in a playfully fun manner, Urban Tavern has become the restaurant for Eating-Meeting-Drinking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Urban Tavern - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Urban Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (26)good for groups (25)vibrant bar scene (24)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (14)great for brunch (14)special occasion (14)notable wine list (14)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (7)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great atmosphere; okay foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014I found this restaurant through restaurant.com and wanted to go here because it was near my next destination. I made a same-day reservation and was immediately seated upon arrival. I ordered hot tea - which is ridiculously priced at $5, crab hush puppies and the lamb chops with polenta and broccolini. The food was not very memorable. What was memorable, however, was my server. He was quite busy, but was very attentive and was quick to bring me whatever I needed. Overall, I enjoyed my dining experience, but probably won't return as the food isn't really worth what's charged.Special Features:
- JpheattDined on 9/20/2014Nice! Good waiter , good food, good drink, free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Servicekara1046Dined on 9/12/2014The food was very good - not outstanding but the service was excellent. We had a flatbread appetizer that was delicious. The steak entrees were good but not great. The wine was good and reasonable in price. All in all it was good experience.Special Features:
- Not As Good As It LookedRubyVIPDined on 9/5/2014I met a friend here for lunch. Never heard of the place. Atmosphere was nice. Wait staff were great. The food was disappointing. I had the burger. Asked for it we'll and it came medium rare but so rare that I couldn't eat it after eating half. The meat had no flavor and it was mostly bread. The fries were good. Overall I was disappointed. The rest of the dishes served at our table. No one raved their meal.
- A Hotel RestaurantLocalEatermanDined on 8/31/2014I went in expecting something completely different. Just looking at the decorum and the menu is not a good enough; it's basically a hotel restaurant that seems to serve food made in bulk or frozen and then reheated. Once the food arrived to the table, an overwhelming sadness consumed me. Service was just OK. Nothing to comment on there. They did remove the order of tasteless chicken wings from the tab with no objection. However, it is a big place, so, it's good for groups.Special Features:
- What an Experience!CamifromSDDined on 8/29/2014I found Urban Tavern as a surprise on my Passport Dining Card. We were in town from San Diego for a long weekend to tour USF and Urban Tavern was on the list and a short walk from out hotel. The food was amazing! The Roast chicken dinner was crisp and moist. My girls had the Mac & Cheese with Crab and it was to die for! The French Onion soup was very tasty and bubbling hot! The atmosphere was very nice. Actually a great place to meet friends after work for happy hour or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialTony123VIPDined on 8/29/2014This was ok for dinner before a show, but the food was nothing exceptional and overpriced. It reminded me of hotel banquet food. Staff was very friendly and made it a nice experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Starters ok but mains not good quality nor good temperature. Standard "hotel food". Bar is very good.
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/18/2014I've been here before and it was miserable. I was in the hotel for work, and I was pleased to see it so improved. I would not hesitate to schedule lunch there again.Special Features:
- Nice place before a showJDawgDined on 8/14/2014We went to a show at Feinstein's and this was a great place to eat beforehand, especially since they give validated parking for 5 hours if you eat here. The food was served very quickly and we had plenty of time to relax and enjoy our dining experience. And they make very tasty cocktails and with my crowd that's a huge bonus! I wish I asked our waiter's name as he was outstanding. I had fish and chips and they were good - not sure you can make fish and chips amazing.... Two friends had the onion soup and they both liked it very much. My other friend had the pretzel and sausage app and she loved it. Unfortunately the show was horrible, but at least we weren't hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOrchestraLoverDined on 8/13/2014A group of us thought that this place would be a good choice for a quick lunch after our meeting in the Hilton Union Square Hotel before heading to the airport. We were so wrong. Service took forever. It was at least 45 minutes from the time that we ordered to the arrival of our food. They got two of the five orders wrong and so they had to go back. The food was OK. The waiter never asked about refilling drinks. It was a big deal to our waiter to get separate checks. This was the worst dining experience that I had while in San Francisco.
- Busy placeFood4thoughtDined on 8/9/2014We tried here as we were staying in the hotel. We were surprised by the quality of the food and service. It was a busy Fri night and lots of convention attendees were here too. Place didn't miss a beat. Crab mac n cheese was to die for!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food and drinks. Served by Alice - very friendly and nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedwineVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food has gone down hill. My salad was over dressed to the point I thought it was soup. My husband had a panini sandwich and the bread burnt. Stop in for a drink but do not eat. It is also extremely loud.Special Features:
- Great location and service!Foodie1VIPDined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent and we loved the pre-fixed menu (which included wine) and selection. Overall Excellent! We also appreciated the prompt service that allowed us to make our evening show on time. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience! We will definitely return to your restaurant when we're back in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Urban Tavern was just ok. It's looks are a bit deceiving, as the decor is beautiful and modern. The food doesn't match--it's ordinary and not well-seasoned. Fish and chips need salt. Sauces and starches need salt. The wines we sampled were not very good, although that's what we get for trying new ones, I suppose. All in all, the food was too expensive for the quality. We are not at all averse to spending $20-30 on an entree--we do it frequently--but the quality and flavor need to be higher to justify the price.
- Girls night outFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 7/21/2014We had a large group in the back of the restaurant. We didn't feel like we were disrupting anyone (which was nice since we haven't seen each other in awhile. Food was good, but slightly overpriced. Can't beat free corkage on Monday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fun!ShamarDined on 7/18/2014This was my third visit to Urban Tavern. Again, the food and service were excellent. The Mission Margaritas are fabulous. It is a very energetic atmosphere with quieter seating available. Very attentive service without being intrusive. Delicious food. I will definitely be visiting again and highly recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingPMPFDined on 7/13/2014The dessert of 4 pastries was great. The lamb shop entre was disappointing, I ordered it a year or more ago and it was great. This time the chops were thin and over cooked, and the soft polenta was greatly over spiced.
- Lunch near CurranMindyDined on 7/12/2014I happened to find the Urban Tavern while looking for a place to have lunch prior to a matinee at the Curran. The Urban Tavern is very attractive and very convenient to the theatre district. Menu selections were imaginative. Food was good. Service was great.Special Features:
- Pre-Theater DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014Smoky tomato bisque - a bold tasting tomato soup with a little spice. Fish Tacos -the two tacos were tasty and the fish was dressed with avocado. For the price, wished it was more substantial. Terres major - the steak was cooked perfectly medium-rare. Ho-ho and Coconut custard snowball - the ho-ho was a chocolate mousse with a chocolate shell. The coconut snowball was a cake with a custard filling. Food came out quickly so we had no worries making our show-time. Manager, Bahdi or B, came by and asked us about our dining experience. A nice dining experience from the food to great personable service from Elton. Ask to be seated in Elton's section. You also get 5 hours of validated parking in the Hilton hotel garage for dining here.Special Features:
- Great before TheatreWanderlustVIPDined on 7/2/2014We usually have dinner at Urban Tavern before a play. The food has also been consistent and good and our server (Tong) was fantastic!
- B-day LunchmrnoitawlDined on 7/2/2014I have eaten here several times & keep returning because of the consistency of the food quality (the French Onion soup is superb & entree portion are very generous). Plus their cucumber martini are perfect. Service is attentive, but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a small mealMaryfromCODined on 6/30/2014Onion soup was very good. Not the best I have had but very good. Eggplant Sliders were interesting. Would have preferred more eggplant and sauce compared to the size of the roll. But they were tasty and different. I say in a booth in the back 1/2 of the resturant. The seat cushion was very soft and not overly comfortable. If I wasn't 5'10" I may not have been able to reach the tabletop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spothmmmVIPDined on 6/26/2014I love Urban Tavern. The atmosphere is hip and the service so good that we find ourselves wanting to back over and over. We feel lucky when Elton waits on us because he is charming and sharp and anticipates whatever we need. They even offered to validate our parking! Class act! Thank you.Special Features:
- Great service good foodtebiiiDined on 6/26/2014Food was good. One of us had something off the menu fetched up by Tong, our waiter - not just a server, but a genuine waiter who knows how to take care if his tables, makes creative suggestions , etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, too noisy...!OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 6/25/2014good food, but way too noisy. service was spotty. there are many restaurants in the area that offer food as good or better with more consistent service and without the decibel level...
- Convenient Restaurant in HiltonAndiODined on 6/25/2014This restaurant is convenient when staying at the Hilton Hotel. We arrived for our reservation and they were still in the process of turning over for lunch, so we waited a few minutes. No big deal. The fish & chips were some of the best, the tartar sauce was amazing, and the panini I had was good but not excellent. They used fresh sliced turkey, which was nice, but the roll was very large. Unfortunately, the meal (panini) gave me heartburn. Our third person didn't not care for her panini. However, the ambiance was good for a lunch conversation. Our server was a bit flighty, but he was still nice. I have been here in the evening on another occasion four years ago and the bar scene was great.Special Features:
- Fantastic First ExperienceRoddyVIPDined on 6/23/2014Food was excellent! I had the rib eye steak that just melted in my mouth. My companion had the herbed chicken which was a very generous and tasty portion. The ambiance was great and the service was perfect. I would recommend to others and definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Long wait to pay!sharonbVIPDined on 6/23/2014The waiter was very intrusive. I'm used to waiters recommending something early on, but to tell us we should order something else after we've already decided is really rude! The waiter grabbed my bread knife off the bread plate. He said he was giving me a new knife for my entree, but I still wanted the knife for my bread. We had ordered a second glass of wine. Again, without asking, he grabbed the first wine glass and poured it into the new glass. I could not believe that a waiter would grab things off your plate and table without asking first. Then, I must have waited 15 minutes for someone to take my credit card for the bill, finally having to chase someone down. The waiter was nowhere in sight - nothing left to grab, I guess.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The food was only average. The shrimp on my salad had obviously been recently thawed and was on the verge of going bad. With so many options to chose from I wouldn't go back.
- Lucky FindShamarDined on 6/20/2014I discovered this restaurant/bar while attending an event across the street and wandered into this terrific find. The food was very good, although the fish and chips could have been crispier. Friends raved about the mac & cheese and the veggie lasagna. The Mission Margaritas were fabulous! This restaurant will definitely be part of my go-to places when entertaining friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceAllie51Dined on 6/20/2014The food and service was excellent. I've eaten here many times previously because of it's convenient location close to the theater and free parking validation for 5 hours. The food is consistently good but now the menu includes many vegetarian and vegan options that are healthy choices. I would definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lousy, very over-priced foodMartinVIPDined on 6/19/2014It's hard to imagine this restaurant can survive in San Francisco -- no doubt unsuspecting Hilton hotel guests fill many of the seat or others like us - searching for a meal before theatre. The quality of ingredients and cooking are seriously sub-standard. Simple entrees like fish and chips and Mac and Cheese are $20+. I cannot recall a worse dining experience EVER in our fair city.
- Convenient and SimpleHopk7791Dined on 6/18/2014Grabbed a wick bite to eat before seeing a show. Simple, quality and left the establishment feeling great about our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentTylerHofingaVIPDined on 6/6/2014This is a wonderful restaurant inside the san francisco hilton downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/2/2014The seats were too low and soft to allow a good level to eat. Further when a customer is asked if he wants dessert, and replies no, and then the server tells me they have to give me the menu because their manager needs to see it? Wow...that's a lot of trust management has in their employees ....Special Features:
- BrunchPleaseVIPDined on 5/28/2014Great, friendly service and fantastic cocktails! A place I would go back for some drinks after dinner.
- The following 994 reviews are from the Urban Tavern reviews archive.
- Absolutely amazingLovedeverysecondDined on 5/23/2014This place was spectacular. We were there during our honeymoon and we loved every second of it. Our server Elron was great, very personable. The pork shoulder and accompanying sauce my husband had was out of this world, so much so that he asked for the recipe and the manager gave it to us the next day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent others are worth your timeTimLfromTxDined on 5/18/2014It may have been the night I went here (very busy week in SF) but the place was overly crowded and very loud so it was hard to have conversations. Overall the food was good but a little pricey to be honest. I was disappointed in the waiter we had since he really was not helpful. Also, I was surprised when we asked about wine pairing that we were told that the wine list was setup about 5 menus ago. Overall the place was nice but there are so many good or better restaurants around that I would only recommend this place if you have tried others and are looking for something new...