Hilton San Francisco
333 O'Farrell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.urbantavernsf.com/
- Phone: 4159234400
- Hours of Operation:
Bar Snacks 11:30AM - 11:30pm
Lounge 11:30am - until late
Seven Days A Week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Sergio Shantoja
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We host Private dining Events from 20ppl - 160. Please call for more information.
- Special Events: 1/2 Priced Bottles of Wine on Sunday Nights.
Free Corkage on Monday Nights.
A word from Urban Tavern
Urban Tavern is a fun exciting Gastropub in Downtown's Union Square. Our philosophy is to provide comforting & fun, tavern-style food, using only the most pristine, local, and whenever possible organic and sustainable ingredients. Most of these items are made in house or sourced from within 200 miles of the restaurant. Urban Tavern takes advantage of our local bounty not only for our cuisine but also in our bar, from our exclusive domestic wine list to our highly acclaimed beer selection. Fusing modern and classic technique with California sensibilities in a playfully fun manner, Urban Tavern has become the restaurant for Eating-Meeting-Drinking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Urban Tavern - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Urban Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (32)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (28)vibrant bar scene (27)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (16)notable wine list (16)special occasion (13)great for brunch (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)romantic (7)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Part of a hotelallezmikeVIPDined on 10/19/2014We had been by the Urban Tavern several times, so we (two of us) decided to stop for lunch. The service was terrific. Beer selection was fine, even though one we wanted was not available. Food was a bit on the expensive side for what we had. Atmosphere was described - Urban , with one more word added - Modern. So, it's an OK place, but after one beer each, a salad and a sandwich - with tip, $60 - not a good value. Probably won't come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Race DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We were here for the Nike SF half marathon...city was busy yet they could accommodate on short notice and downstairs from hotel. Great menu. Good basic food with gourmet twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great last minute find!luv2boysDined on 10/15/2014Had to make last minute reservations for team dinner during the Dreamforce conference. They had an opening and seated us at a great table. The menu had something for everyone. I had the veggie lasagna. Highly recommend if you are vegetarian and gluten free. Unfortunately it was cold in the middle, but the server had a new one made. While it took some time it was perfect. And the desert and drinks were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingsiouxi31Dined on 10/14/2014French Onion Soup, Greens with Watermelon Radish, Crusty Bread with creamy butter, Prosciutto and Roasted Grape Flatbread followed by Apple & Pear Streusel topped with vanilla bean ice cream covered with spiced cream sauce. Absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- food and service - superb!AnonymousDined on 10/10/2014We each had a salad, my companion the one with crab and I had the quinoa and beet. They were both outstanding, as was the creamy polenta we shared. I got caught in traffic (Obama was in town) and the staff couldn't have been more understanding and helpful. AND we got to the theater in time, thanks to the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, lovedajmVIPDined on 10/8/2014My friends, family and I love everything about the urban tavern.....food, service, etc.,Special Features:
- DisappointedShannonDined on 10/4/2014Went there with visiting friends based on web site menu and photos. Service was excellent, but everything else was mediocre. The food was equivalent to a high class Denny's. Booths are reminiscent of a broken down roadside restaurant. If this is going to remain in the Ilton then some serious renovations need to take place. Won't be back.
- nonicknameVIPDined on 10/1/2014Great variety on the menu. The pork and beef panini was flavorful and filling. The quinoa beet salad was tasty. House wine was delicious. Great downtown location.Special Features:
- good food and excellent servicetstarDined on 9/30/2014Despite loud Oracle event attendees everywhere, the host and wait person were very helpful and attentive...Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestMuggyDooDined on 9/30/2014As others have noted, Urban Tavern is basically a hotel restaurant. The upholstered benches look and feel very shabby and I sank down so far on it that I felt like I should ask for a telephone book to sit on so I could join the height of the rest of the table. The food is extremely basic. The hamburger was overdone and the fries were cold. The pork shoulder with vegetable hash was fine but was really just a couple slices of pork roast with some sauteed vegetables. There was nothing special about it at all and it was pretty expensive for such a mediocre dish. Service was fine and they made sure we got out in time for the theater but that's the best thing I can say about it. I won't be returning.
- Convention Crowd PleaserSpike03Dined on 9/29/2014This was great for our group dinner during a convention. There was no waiting - we got right in. Wait staff was very good, food was also good - they had something for all tastes. The veggie pot pie was a real hit. Decent wine and beer. The tab was reasonable as well. Overall pleasantly surprising experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findinconnueVIPDined on 9/26/2014Had a 5:45pm reservation so we could make the 8pm show at the Gold Gate Theater. Service was excellent. Elton the waiter asked if we were going to see a show, and was very prompt with our orders. Had a bottle of Roth cab with vegetarian flatbread appetizer (yum), lamb chops and terre major entrees (excellent), and the dessert sampler that included ho-hos, pumpkin spice moon pie, black forrest to end the meal. We had a leisurely meal, and was out of the restaurant by 7:30pm with time to spare to walk to the theater a couple of blocks away. The restaurant is in the Hilton which makes the ambiance safe. Be careful when walking outside especially in the evenings.Special Features:
- It's in a hotel but not bad!BigMeatNoWhammyVIPDined on 9/26/2014It's a typical hotel bar. You go because you are at the hotel not as a destination. Food is decent. Service a tad slow. But I stay at the Hilton often so I'll be forced to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- helpful staffLJ94070Dined on 9/24/2014My friend was going to be a bit late and the staff let me take our table and wait. Helpful waitstaff suggested drinks and food that were great.Special Features:
- Great pre theater stopTimmgVIPDined on 9/23/2014I've been here a couple times now, the food and service is always good. If you want a quiet dinner ask to be seated in the back. We will be back for sure. It is a great spot to hit before going to downtown theaters.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere; okay foodloveagoodmealDined on 9/20/2014I found this restaurant through restaurant.com and wanted to go here because it was near my next destination. I made a same-day reservation and was immediately seated upon arrival. I ordered hot tea - which is ridiculously priced at $5, crab hush puppies and the lamb chops with polenta and broccolini. The food was not very memorable. What was memorable, however, was my server. He was quite busy, but was very attentive and was quick to bring me whatever I needed. Overall, I enjoyed my dining experience, but probably won't return as the food isn't really worth what's charged.Special Features:
- JpheattDined on 9/20/2014Nice! Good waiter , good food, good drink, free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban TavernHappyDiningOutDined on 9/20/2014We went to the Urban Tavern before a theater show and had a wonderful meal. Food was great, service was excellent. The noise level was low so we could talk. The decor is very urban as the name implies, very modern. I nothing be good things to say.Special Features:
- Great Servicekara1046Dined on 9/12/2014The food was very good - not outstanding but the service was excellent. We had a flatbread appetizer that was delicious. The steak entrees were good but not great. The wine was good and reasonable in price. All in all it was good experience.Special Features:
- Not As Good As It LookedRubyVIPDined on 9/5/2014I met a friend here for lunch. Never heard of the place. Atmosphere was nice. Wait staff were great. The food was disappointing. I had the burger. Asked for it we'll and it came medium rare but so rare that I couldn't eat it after eating half. The meat had no flavor and it was mostly bread. The fries were good. Overall I was disappointed. The rest of the dishes served at our table. No one raved their meal.
- A Hotel RestaurantLocalEatermanDined on 8/31/2014I went in expecting something completely different. Just looking at the decorum and the menu is not a good enough; it's basically a hotel restaurant that seems to serve food made in bulk or frozen and then reheated. Once the food arrived to the table, an overwhelming sadness consumed me. Service was just OK. Nothing to comment on there. They did remove the order of tasteless chicken wings from the tab with no objection. However, it is a big place, so, it's good for groups.Special Features:
- What an Experience!CamifromSDDined on 8/29/2014I found Urban Tavern as a surprise on my Passport Dining Card. We were in town from San Diego for a long weekend to tour USF and Urban Tavern was on the list and a short walk from out hotel. The food was amazing! The Roast chicken dinner was crisp and moist. My girls had the Mac & Cheese with Crab and it was to die for! The French Onion soup was very tasty and bubbling hot! The atmosphere was very nice. Actually a great place to meet friends after work for happy hour or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialTony123VIPDined on 8/29/2014This was ok for dinner before a show, but the food was nothing exceptional and overpriced. It reminded me of hotel banquet food. Staff was very friendly and made it a nice experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Starters ok but mains not good quality nor good temperature. Standard "hotel food". Bar is very good.
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/18/2014I've been here before and it was miserable. I was in the hotel for work, and I was pleased to see it so improved. I would not hesitate to schedule lunch there again.Special Features:
- Nice place before a showJDawgDined on 8/14/2014We went to a show at Feinstein's and this was a great place to eat beforehand, especially since they give validated parking for 5 hours if you eat here. The food was served very quickly and we had plenty of time to relax and enjoy our dining experience. And they make very tasty cocktails and with my crowd that's a huge bonus! I wish I asked our waiter's name as he was outstanding. I had fish and chips and they were good - not sure you can make fish and chips amazing.... Two friends had the onion soup and they both liked it very much. My other friend had the pretzel and sausage app and she loved it. Unfortunately the show was horrible, but at least we weren't hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOrchestraLoverDined on 8/13/2014A group of us thought that this place would be a good choice for a quick lunch after our meeting in the Hilton Union Square Hotel before heading to the airport. We were so wrong. Service took forever. It was at least 45 minutes from the time that we ordered to the arrival of our food. They got two of the five orders wrong and so they had to go back. The food was OK. The waiter never asked about refilling drinks. It was a big deal to our waiter to get separate checks. This was the worst dining experience that I had while in San Francisco.
- Busy placeFood4thoughtDined on 8/9/2014We tried here as we were staying in the hotel. We were surprised by the quality of the food and service. It was a busy Fri night and lots of convention attendees were here too. Place didn't miss a beat. Crab mac n cheese was to die for!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great food and drinks. Served by Alice - very friendly and nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RedwineVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food has gone down hill. My salad was over dressed to the point I thought it was soup. My husband had a panini sandwich and the bread burnt. Stop in for a drink but do not eat. It is also extremely loud.Special Features:
- Great location and service!Foodie1VIPDined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent and we loved the pre-fixed menu (which included wine) and selection. Overall Excellent! We also appreciated the prompt service that allowed us to make our evening show on time. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience! We will definitely return to your restaurant when we're back in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Urban Tavern was just ok. It's looks are a bit deceiving, as the decor is beautiful and modern. The food doesn't match--it's ordinary and not well-seasoned. Fish and chips need salt. Sauces and starches need salt. The wines we sampled were not very good, although that's what we get for trying new ones, I suppose. All in all, the food was too expensive for the quality. We are not at all averse to spending $20-30 on an entree--we do it frequently--but the quality and flavor need to be higher to justify the price.
- Girls night outFoodie4LifeVIPDined on 7/21/2014We had a large group in the back of the restaurant. We didn't feel like we were disrupting anyone (which was nice since we haven't seen each other in awhile. Food was good, but slightly overpriced. Can't beat free corkage on Monday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fun!ShamarDined on 7/18/2014This was my third visit to Urban Tavern. Again, the food and service were excellent. The Mission Margaritas are fabulous. It is a very energetic atmosphere with quieter seating available. Very attentive service without being intrusive. Delicious food. I will definitely be visiting again and highly recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingPMPFDined on 7/13/2014The dessert of 4 pastries was great. The lamb shop entre was disappointing, I ordered it a year or more ago and it was great. This time the chops were thin and over cooked, and the soft polenta was greatly over spiced.
- Lunch near CurranMindyDined on 7/12/2014I happened to find the Urban Tavern while looking for a place to have lunch prior to a matinee at the Curran. The Urban Tavern is very attractive and very convenient to the theatre district. Menu selections were imaginative. Food was good. Service was great.Special Features:
- Pre-Theater DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014Smoky tomato bisque - a bold tasting tomato soup with a little spice. Fish Tacos -the two tacos were tasty and the fish was dressed with avocado. For the price, wished it was more substantial. Terres major - the steak was cooked perfectly medium-rare. Ho-ho and Coconut custard snowball - the ho-ho was a chocolate mousse with a chocolate shell. The coconut snowball was a cake with a custard filling. Food came out quickly so we had no worries making our show-time. Manager, Bahdi or B, came by and asked us about our dining experience. A nice dining experience from the food to great personable service from Elton. Ask to be seated in Elton's section. You also get 5 hours of validated parking in the Hilton hotel garage for dining here.Special Features:
- Great before TheatreWanderlustVIPDined on 7/2/2014We usually have dinner at Urban Tavern before a play. The food has also been consistent and good and our server (Tong) was fantastic!
- B-day LunchmrnoitawlDined on 7/2/2014I have eaten here several times & keep returning because of the consistency of the food quality (the French Onion soup is superb & entree portion are very generous). Plus their cucumber martini are perfect. Service is attentive, but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a small mealMaryfromCODined on 6/30/2014Onion soup was very good. Not the best I have had but very good. Eggplant Sliders were interesting. Would have preferred more eggplant and sauce compared to the size of the roll. But they were tasty and different. I say in a booth in the back 1/2 of the resturant. The seat cushion was very soft and not overly comfortable. If I wasn't 5'10" I may not have been able to reach the tabletop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.