1096 South Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://urbanputt.com/
- Phone: 4153411080x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Dane Boryta
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two different rooms to choose from, both with large family style tables, a casual feel, and room for up to 25 people. Need something bigger, than the whole place can be yours to entertain your friends!
- Private Party Contact: Jessie x
- Entertainment: This isn't your grandfather's minigolf. This is miniature golf reimagined: a cutting-edge jewel box of a course, located in the heart of San Francisco, which combines high artistry with motorized devices, mechanical gizmos, and the latest in high-tech to create an indoor, urban course that will consistently amaze and entertain.
With a Jules Verne meets Art Deco aesthetic (with a heaping helping of steampunk thrown in), we are creating a course full of interactive kinetic sculptures.
A word from Urban Putt
We have a dream: indoor minigolf in San Francisco. Throw in great food and drink, an awesome location, and a unswerving commitment to fun and you’ve got a formula for something unique and wonderful.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Urban Putt - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Urban Putt reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (61)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (34)special occasion (31)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (26)fit for foodies (19)late-night find (18)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Mini-Golf + Art= SUPER-aweSOME!artgirl7Dined on 9/1/2014This place is soooo COOL! It was so fun! We LOVE this concept...art meets mini-golf! The staff was so fun and welcoming... The resturant is absolutely delicious! Our party had an amazing time and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and fantasticRobinWVIPDined on 8/31/2014Hosted my daughter's 16th birthday party here. They loved the minigolf, the food, and the service. There is no place like Urban Putt -- not in SF, not anywhere -- and the fact that the food is good is a real bonus. (Teens didn't order adventurously, but the mac n cheese, fries, salad, mashed potatoes all got rave reviews.)Special Features:
- AmazingUmmmmmmmmVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had my birthday dinner/party here the other night and had an absolute blast. The course is really creative and really fun, and the food here was REALLY tasty. Our waiter was awesome, really friendly and accommodating. The ONE downside is that you can't bring drinks onto the course, but I suppose that makes sense. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Surprisingly goodSFNtvgrlVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very good pizza- deep dish and a tasty cornmeal crust. Good cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Date Night!BunnisliprsDined on 8/15/2014The pizza is so amazing! The atmospher is fun you would never guess that from the outside, when you walk in it's like a little hipster paradise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was awesomeSFbornNraisedDined on 8/2/2014The staff was very accommodating in helping me plan my wife's birthday party. They were incredibly helpful in making our party a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of funJAC33Dined on 7/30/2014Urban Putt is a lot of fun. We had the deep dish pizza which was amazing and then hit the putt putt course. My favorite would have to be the duck hole. Overall, a great time. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great but busyPRCOOutingsDined on 7/30/2014You would think mid week, at 4 PM wouldn't be too busy, but there was quite the crowd. Either way, we had fun. Maybe the drinks, the camera crew filming, or the company outing that had people dressed as if it was real driving range, but we had a great time. It's smaller than I expected, so I wouldn't go with a group more than 5-7.Special Features:
- Above par for the coursealexf1225Dined on 7/26/2014I planned a large birthday get together at Urban Putt for my girlfriend. A small portion of the group dined upstairs together before playing. The restaurant and the food was a solid hit. I would consider it an above par dining experience and a great part of the entire Urban Putt experience. Our table of 8 ordered a variety of items on the menu (burgers, salmon wrapped tuna, scallops, veggie skewers. peach cobbler and coconut rice pudding) and everyone was pleased. I would come again and it's good to know there is a convenient and choice dining option upstairs. It kept the evening simpler to plan.Special Features:
- bernieVIPDined on 7/22/2014The fried olives we fantastic! The entrees we ok. Wish they had the full beer selection upstairsSpecial Features:
- Very fun night!KanieDined on 7/20/2014I highly recc. that if you go here you try the golf! It is the most fun and artistic course imagineable. The food is also very good. Love the pizza.Special Features:
- chicken and wafflestheNYerVIPDined on 7/18/2014only at the bar!! what is this insanity? it's crazy that you can't order this amazing food in the restaurant.
- Awesome!RatedPG13Dined on 7/18/2014Fun place to go in a group setting or date night! Food was delicious! I will definitely go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, relaxed and yummylolainsfDined on 7/13/2014Really a fun place, whether you're on a date, out with friends or looking for a place both kids and parents can enjoy. The mini golf holes are truly inspired, and the cocktails and food are yummy. The menu is a nice mix of the familiar (burger, grilled cheese, ribs, pizza) and the unexpected (tuna poke, empanadas, poutine), with a number of vegetarian options, so everyone can find something to nosh. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Really Poor ServicearchasaurusVIPDined on 7/12/2014This place doesn't know how to deal with its own popularity -- and doesn't seem to care about customers. I went to on Saturday, hoping for an experience like Mission Bowl. It was way worse. We arrived @ 6pm w/ a reservation. I thought this was to golf & dine, but I learned at the door was ONLY for dining. In no way did it entitle you to a round of mini-golf. I was told that I'd have to finish dinner upstairs & THEN come down and stand in whatever line had formed to play golf -- but that at least I could line up with a drink. Hm, OK. After a so-so dinner, I get a drink from the bar & come down to find a long line's formed & its routed outdoors. I'm told I need to throw away my drink to stand in it: "What'd you expect, bro? We're busy."
- More than dinner -- an experienceEricOrneryDined on 7/9/2014By now you've probably heard about the mini-golf course that gives Urban Putt its name. The holes are actually very clever works of art, making Urban Putt an instant SF classic and a hipster magnet. But the food in the upstairs restaurant is great, too. Deep dish pizza headlines, with the same corn meal crust that Ruby's made famous years ago. Everything on the menu is worth a try -- don't miss the deep-fried olives!Special Features:
- Fun, ok food, new venue issuesEricVIPDined on 7/7/2014Went here on a Monday night with a group of five. The hostess seated us quickly, but didn't initially acknowledge the OpenTable res. the waitress came by and it was clear she was new and a bit of a deer in the headlights. Not very knowledgeable and nervous. We ordered our food, a pizza, jambalaya, a squash dish and several beers. Everything came out in a timely manner. The jambalaya was tasty, the pizza a bit bland and a poor representation of Chicago-style deep dish. The atmosphere was nice though, and the mini golf downstairs was a lot of fun. It seems that there are some early kinks that need to be worked out, but I'll probably be back.Special Features:
- Early reviewChrisDined on 7/2/2014This place just opened recently, and I brought a date after golfing downstairs (which is SUPER FUN). I had the ribs ($21), my date had the burger (~$13), we shared poutine with duck. The food was very good, the meat on the ribs slid off the bone and the burger had flavorful meat and a tasty bun. We considered the deep dish pizzas but they take 35-45 min to cook-ouch! We wished there was a way to order while we were golfing. We saw other tables with them and they looked delicious. Ambience was tastefully decorated but loud, service friendly and quick. We had weekday 730 reservations but the restaurant wasn't full. Good experience but very slightly overpriced (perhaps it's the location?) and could use more entree choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun BirthdayJenningsDined on 7/1/2014Great spot for birthday dinner and drinks before golf!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic Menu but TastySFFoodieFunVIPDined on 6/27/2014The menu was all over the place from tuna tartare to grilled cheese but our group of 7+ ordered a variety of dishes and all were tasty. Very buzzy, fun atmosphere but beware if you don't like crowds. Server was very nice but overwhelmed as night went on and resto became very crowded -- we went from excellent service at the beginning of our meal to meh service by the end. Recommend any of the cheese dishes -- grilled cheese, pizza, etc. Burgers were very good. Fries surprisingly bland. But this all said, you don't come to Urban Putt for the food, you go there for the drinks, the scene and the mini-golf and games.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightnotafoodieDined on 6/26/2014Went here for a much-needed date night with my husband. Food was not bad but the mini golf was the highlight. We really appreciated the creative elements of each hole. It was a Thursday night and not too crowded.Special Features:
- Urban Putt Gemfoody21Dined on 6/26/2014Urban Putt had an awesome vibe and great location. It's kinda out of the way from other venues, but the food tasted great and the waitress was super friendly. We didn't mini golf because it was pretty crowded, but the price is definitely affordable. Would definitely recommend it to a friend. The Open Table app however did not have my reservation listed and the tv wasn't working where we were sitting so we couldn't watch the Giants game. The deep dish pizza and baby spinach salad with sweet potatoes made up for it though, and hopefully when we go back the electronics will work a little better. Another note: The hostess at the entrance to the dining room wasn't the friendliest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to visit, putt & drink. Food okKat65VIPDined on 6/22/2014Go to putt putt. That's the best part. Have drinks & snacks. Skip dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- phenomenal new fun outletEvery1saCriticDined on 6/19/2014Impressed in almost every way. Clearly a lot of thought put into almost every aspect. Looking forward to being able to bring drinks onto the golf course. Although I appreciated the hooks for bags & coats along the course, they absolutely need to set up a coat check or lockers. Does get a little unruly on the course with teams trying to rush each other to move on. Menu items are fairly large portions & heavy food, but really appreciated the "bar bites" menu, which you can order upstairs in the restaurant although you need to request the menu separately. Wish the bar had some signature cocktails to choose from & that beer selections were listed somewhere at your table so you didn't have to get up, walk across restaurant to see chalkboardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar Food and GolfingRWAlfordVIPDined on 6/13/2014Poutine, chicken and waffle skewers and golf, combined with great local neighborhood servers, bartenders and security guards you're bound to have a good time, no high pressure, and just a little hint of that Mission Hipster attitude that makes the neighborhood real and special. The food is decent, not the best ever, there are selections that rock and are easy to eat. Remember its a golf course mainly, food is second, but cocktails, beer and having laughs is first, this a place delivers that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good, Golf CuteexcelsiormamaDined on 6/13/2014Good food, super rude person at the front desk (management has been alerted so I hope she is gone by now). golf is cute, not sure if I ever need to golf again but I'll go back for the food and the terrific drinks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Golf and Dine!rmohDined on 6/10/2014Delicious food and mini-golfing in the mission. i loved the pork belly and the scallop/shrimp combo and the jambalaya.Special Features:
- Fun for Adults & KidsTavainSFVIPDined on 6/2/2014We took our kids for a night out of putt-putt and food....It was super fun and they wanted to golf again after dinner!Special Features:
- upstairs/downstairs kinksclaudeVIPDined on 5/30/2014While the food and service in the dining area were deserving of a 3.5-4 stars out of 5, the dining area itself seemed lost as if its own "golf course in the making." Chairs and tables were placed in odd ways and bar was this tineee wineee thing. The bar downstairs was even less inviting. The hostess downstairs need to be more well informed about how to direct diners upstairs for their reservations AND, what first time players need to do upon paying for golf game (e.g. actually telling them where to get the balls) instead of just taking money. COAT and BAG checks for the players would have been great to have, found ourselves lugging everything while playing.Special Features:
- Super fun, meh foodmanicteaseDined on 5/26/2014The venue itself is small for a miniature golf course (crammed 14 holes in there somehow!). But what it lacks in size, it makes up in variety of challenges for the holes themselves. So. Much. Fun! The service both upstairs and downstairs were on par! Restaurant/bar: The bar downstairs has a great draught beer list and the upstairs bar has an abbreviated version. The downstairs bar and the upstairs restaurant have different menus. Friends who have eaten from the bar bites menu weren't impressed. My friend and I ate at the restaurant and were disappointed by the Out of Bounds pizza (doughy and lack of flavor) and the duck confit poutine was missing the gravy and somehow the fries weren't tasty. Only the salad and jambalaya were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban Putt ReviewBmurphDined on 5/24/2014Enjoyed the dinner, atmosphere was similar to a Sports Bar. Basically it is a Sports Bar with the added value of being able to play Pee Wee Golf indoors. Thought if the stick with that theme they could use a couple more Big screen TV's with more Sports selection. Only 1 with NBA game on, while the Giants were playing.Special Features:
- Great Putt, Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014The mini-golf was innovative and inspiring. Both my 16 year-old daughter and my 87 year-old mother really enjoyed it. And ditto for the food, creative, with something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014Service was very poor, food was all bland. Everyone seem confused. Bowling is cool! At this point just way too over crowdedSpecial Features:
- The following 7 reviews are from the Urban Putt reviews archive.
- best food i've had at a mini golfyoyogadgetVIPDined on 5/16/2014The pizza is really good here, especially if you're into deep dish. Drink specials were tasty too! Definitely a good deal to get the "golden ticket" for mini golf, but really need to work out the queue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fun - not so great foodLovestoeatDined on 5/14/2014I went with a group of friends - thinking how cool the idea of combining miniature golf and hearty food is. It was a fun night, you pay $6 per person for the golf round, which is on first come first serve basis so be prepared to wait a bit. The golf "course" is very creative, a few technical kinks still have to be worked out, but overall a lot of fun. Dinner service (upstairs) was attentive and friendly, but the food unfortunately has much left to be desired. The Pizzas were near tasteless and several of my friends commented that it felt like a frozen pizza. Would I go back? Yes, to start a night out with a round of golf and drinks, but dinner - probably not, sorry.Special Features:
- Hole in OnecsfriscoDined on 5/11/2014This place is amazing. First, the minigolf. I live in SF & have driven my kids all over the bay area, from Fairfield to Sunnyvale, to play. This is NOTHING like those courses. Every hole is handcrafted by an artist, every one is unique, everyone has a SF theme. This is the place to take your out of town guests with kids (or even without) to show them what a cool, hip city you live in. Ok, as for the food -- fantastic! Especially good was the shrimp & grits and the seafood pizza. The crust on the pizza is cornbready deliciousness. The room has windows on three sides and is lovely and airy inside. I am tempted not to recommend any of it so that i can keep it all to myself, but that would be wrong. Go now, before the crowds find this place!Special Features:
- SF ExcellencetedbarnettVIPDined on 5/10/2014Clever, hand-built putt-putt course. Best to go early to avoid crowds. Food was good. Here's hoping this becomes an institution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban Putt is awesome!landandseaDined on 5/9/2014We went to Urban Putt on their very first week open, expecting chaos. Instead we found incredibly helpful and happy folks working there, bending over backwards to make us feel welcome (the GM is great! also loved our server at dinner, the woman at the front desk and the bartender who literally came around the bar to find us and deliver our drinks personally because we had drifted away a bit.) The mini golf was a total blast, each hole unique and arty without being snobby. The food was top notch. Bring kids earlier than 6pm as it begins to feel more adult after that. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- So fun! Still KinkswhatupireviewstuffDined on 5/9/2014They just opened so there are some kinks, but the food was good, and golf was fun, though a few holes were closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Openin Night hiccups, still enjoyedXCDinesDined on 5/5/2014UPstairs at the restaurant: Had the salmon, and ribs, and potatoes, all executed correctly, but nothing out of this world, (apx 22 min to arrive with roughly 15 people in restaurant) but that's to be expected opening night. DOWNstairs at the mini-golf course: Played through the course, and while some holes were very creative, many are more "Rube Goldberg-esque, one straight shot to the hole, then watch as the ball goes through all sorts of machines. It was fun to play through once, but more entertaining than challenging. IMO many small changes and repairs that need to be made to most holes, but overall a fun concept, and decent beer selection to boot. We'll come back in a month to give it another shot. In the mean time: go 4 Date nightSpecial Features: