San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.urbancurry.com/
- Phone: (415) 677-9744
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00AM – 10:00PM, Monday - Friday Buffet Lunch: 11:00AM - 3:00PM Friday and Saturday: 11:00AM – 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian, Nepalese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please call the restaurant at 415-677-9744 and arrange the service you need. Ask for Sher Ali.
- Private Party Facilities: At the Restaurant we can arrange private parties with our capacity to host more than 120 guest
- Private Party Contact: Carlos H. 5104796154
A word from Urban Curry
Urban Curry, one of the most prestigious and exciting Indian & Pakistani restaurants, located at 523 Broadway St. San Francisco California. With our warm traditional decoration, pleasant surroundings and our open kitchen, you will enjoy an authentic meal. At Urban Curry we emulate the style elegance and variety reminiscent of the olden ages with the spices specially imported from India & Pakistan, more importantly, we use only Halal meat. Feel free to complement your meals by bringing your own wine or beer (with no corkage fee).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Urban Curry reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Very nice eveningPhilVIPDined on 11/4/2014Well-prepared food, excellent service and an interesting experience. Owner is one of the Sherpa clan and has climbed Everest 5 times. Moved to US, saved his $ and opened his restaurant. The American dream. Enjoyed this local find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Urban Curry reviews archive.
- Good Authentic Indian FoodLane2008Dined on 7/6/2014Urban Curry isn't in the best area in town, however its food is delicious and the service is friendly and helpful. Only downside was that our main course arrived while we were still eating our appetisers.Special Features:
- Nepali/Indian food done rightparky270Dined on 5/22/2014We found Urban Curry using OpenTable and were summarily impressed with the quality of food. If you like spicy curry, lamb, rice, or just about any Indian food, this is a great place for you. We really liked the lamb kabobs, they were spicy and oh so tasty. Seriously though, the service is excellent and the food moderately priced. Highly reccommend it.Special Features:
- Food and staff was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/6/2012Food and staff was great. No table service.....order food at the counter and it is brought to you. Not what I expected. No alcohol but you can bring your own wine.Special Features:
- Had their lunch buffet. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2012Had their lunch buffet. They had a wide variety of dishes and everything was really tasty. Only problem is you tend to overeat because you want to try everything!
- Wow, I was amazed at how goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/24/2012Wow, I was amazed at how good this food was, and at an exceptionally low cost. Service is no frills- you order at the counter and they bring you your food. You need to refill your own water and complementary tea. That being said, my wife and I had an outstanding meal and ate to our hearts' content for less than $40. The tikka masala was particularly good.
- Reunion at Urban CurryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2012We had an excellent night. The food was very good and a really nice relaxed ambiance. The food we ate was great value for money and very tasty. The service is relaxed and almost self service which suited us as a group.Special Features:
- Delicious lunch buffet --PeteVIPDined on 11/10/2011Delicious lunch buffet -- has whatever you want + drinks for 11.99. In financial district, I will take it.Special Features:
- We were quite alone in thisScottieBDined on 9/28/2011We were quite alone in this restaurant. The food was delicious but not noteworthy. Our server got baked during our meal, at first we barely noticed but by the end she reeked. It also took increasingly longer amounts of time before she'd return to our (the only) table. This made it a bit irksome to get the check and begone.
- Urban Curry's Friday nightCarolynVIPDined on 9/9/2011Urban Curry's Friday night buffet has what my dinner companion called "all of the favorite standard Indian favorites." They also have a diverse menu with plenty of options for both the vegetarian and meat lover's palate. The samosas were spicy and crisp. Everything looked and tasted acceptably fresh. The waitstaff was friendly, and they were very accommodating to the family with small children at the next table. It can take a while for your food to arrive. The noise level is a bit much, since it is mostly generated by the music videos played on the restaurant's numerous tvs. Overall, I wasn't "wowwed", but my dinner companions and I were satisfied.Special Features:
- DeliciousNicknameVIPDined on 8/26/2011The food was fabulous. We love very spicy food and here was a good choice. (Mild is also available.)Special Features:
- Great food, good service, BYOB.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/20/2011Think of this like your dive bar for Indian food ironically, however, with no booze. Excellent food, great service, almost no decor to speak of and no booze, but they will gladly refer you to the bodega across the street where you can get some brown bag help. Definitely worth trying, although I'm glad I waited until I knew my wife for 7 years before bringing her there. Definitely not a first date kind of place, but worth trying if you like good Indian food.
- i heart urban curry !YoursTrulyDined on 8/13/2011Food was excellent; service was outstanding. The BAINGHAN BARTHA was amazing & though we ordered everything too spicy, our server recognized it from our red faces & offered us a delicious yogurt sauce that scaled back the heat just enough. Be careful if you order everything "very spicy" because it will be! If this place was in Chicago, I would be eating there 3x a week. BIG thumbs up!Special Features:
- Did not receive my pointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2011Did not receive my points from reservation as i'm guessing they didn't check me in . Service was good but took forever to get our check . Good food and cheap too so would go back just not if in a hurrySpecial Features:
- Just not very good food, ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2011Just not very good food, ambiance or service. Came here b/c of a coupon. Won't come back.
- Always awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011Came here with a friend. Always awesome urban curry served us an excellent meal....just a little upset at my friend for not asking for our leftovers.Special Features:
- Dashing dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2011Every time I go here I order a different dish and every time my palate is delighted by fresh authentic Indian delicacies. I always enjoy myself as the portions are large - filling and fresh. One of the best in the city.Special Features:
- Casual, unpretentious NorthsonomasingerVIPDined on 5/27/2011Casual, unpretentious North Indian cuisine. The youngish servers are very attentive. Open quite late on weekend, which can be a big plus. This is a great find, and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Urban Curry = YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2011I can never say enough good things about this place. The food is always delicious - made fresh and quick. This last time the food was a little greasier than normal; but it was still some of the best Indian food I've tasted. I had a delightful time as always!Special Features:
- Furry in these curries!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2011There was some furry in these curries! Urban Curry boasts exceptional great food at incredibly low prices. I would definitely come back here again. The staff was friendly courteous; but a tad forgetful since they were very busy (we asked the 'water girl' for a to-go box but she forgot it; the table next to us sat with their meal for 5-10 minutes waiting for their rice etc.) The food was hearty portions cooked quickly; thoroughly and with dedication; they know what they are doing. The atmosphere is very open; so good for couples or big groups; not a romantic scene. Another highlight being you can BYOB!! Which, unfortunately, I did not know at the time of dine (darn!) but will keep this in mind next time I go back.Special Features:
- We went b/c we had a BloomspotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2011We went b/c we had a Bloomspot coupon, and it was good, but I'm not sure I'd go back if paying full price. Service was very slow, even though it wasn't very busy when we were there. It was a good food, on the whole. They only had two high chairs and no boosters--since both high chairs were being used, we were stuck without one. And that didn't make eating very manageable. So I'd say, not a great place for kids. But they were good about making mild options for the food. And they made it up to us by giving my son a free mango lassi.
- Fantastic!FoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2011The food was outstanding and the service matched the food. Truly the best daal I have ever had. The lamb VINDALOO was amazing. The only complaint would be the chicken tikka malsala, it was a bit dry. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Food was delicious at a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2011Food was delicious at a great price. Extensive authentic menu.Special Features:
- We had succulent chicken tandoori,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/27/2011We had succulent chicken tandoori, marvelously spiced lamb karahi, well-cooked palak paneer and garlic naan–everyone at the table was extremely pleased with the food and attentive service.Special Features:
- It was Sunday evening andOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/23/2011It was Sunday evening and we arrived at the restaurant at about 6:15pm. Except for the staff, the place was empty. Takeout business appeared brisk but, by the time we left (7:45), there were only two other couples seated. Food was typical Indian fare, moderately priced and, was good. Meat was tender and dishes were not oversaturated with spice. The service was very attentive (not overly) and we felt quite comfortable there.
- Wonderful staff, very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/19/2010Wonderful staff, very tasty dishes, good size portions on most dishes. Will definitely go back to try other dishes.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal at UrbanDianeKVIPDined on 9/24/2010We enjoyed our meal at Urban Curry. The lamb vindaloo was nice and spicy, the khalri (sp?) was lovely and spicy too. Both were thankfully not greasy at all, which is a downfall of most curry restaurants we have been to. We ordered the goat biryani and loved it. The complimentary raita and chutney were unexpected and nice to have. The naan and papadum were very good, too. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- What an unexpected surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/27/2010What an unexpected surprise in the heart of Broadway. i highly recommend Urban Curry. Very reasonable prices, too.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2010Great food, great service, very cheap--dinner for 3 with drinks was $60. Can't figure out why it's so empty.Special Features: