1400 Lagoon Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.uptowntavernmpls.com/
- Phone: 6128243333x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Todd Weiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have off site catering options available, please contact us for more details.
- Entertainment: Great music, Great staff!
A word from Uptown Tavern
We have created the Uptown Tavern from a belief that you deserve to eat good, quality food without compromising style and fun. With two floors of dining, this hip urban restaurant is the perfect setting for sipping craft beer and savoring a menu of bold flavors while enjoying views of the Uptown. At Uptown Tavern there is something for everyone: it's Minneapolis-friendly, slightly kitschy, and memorable. It's relaxing, energetic, and fun. The menu has many staples, but it's always changing. There's new stuff to look at, and new stuff to try. We specialize in one thing, and one thing only: that original goal mentioned above. This explains the regulars, even those who'll drive an hour to be here. It's an entityContinued
Patio seating is on a first come, first serve basis.
Patio seating is on a first come, first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uptown Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance2.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (8)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (4)scenic view (4)neighborhood gem (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Happy Hour disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I made reservations because of the happy hour but the server failed to let us know that happy hour specials are only offered inside and not on the rooftop. After 4 drinks we were told.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AYCE King Crab LegskcvisitDined on 8/13/2014Horrible experience, ended up getting our meal comped after waiting for an hour for our second order of Crab legs....
- JUST A TIPDidi7Dined on 7/10/2014I made a reservation to go eat with a couple friends. When we got there the host told us we couldn't eat at the rooftop unless we were 21. It would've been nice to know this information before we went since the main reason why we went was to dine at the rooftop. Other than that, the food was good and our waiter was nice...the host was kind of rude.Special Features:
- Such a wasteMrHonestDined on 7/4/2014This place could be so much more but what a waste! They have the location, size and a rooftop bar; however, their food is just horrible. Everything we had was literally taken out of the freezer and deep fried, nothing homemade. They gave us each a tiny condiment cup with ketchup, really, they must think they are a 4 star restaurant, not! They should close the main floor dining room and just keep the rooftop and serve drinks and scrap all of the food. Plus you have to go into the basement to use the restroom, now that was a great plan when they were designing this place, wow. The table next to us had the exact same experience and all 6 of them had harsh words with the manager. All of their meals were comped. Eat somewhere else.Special Features:
- Service was awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Hostess upstairs was rude - she had no idea what she was doing. We were getting told different things and being put in different places. Our waitress had no idea what she was doing either. Forgot about our drinks, left without taking soemone's order. I believe it was the manager that fixed everything for us and took care of us. He was very kind.
- Horrible service!!!!CoogDined on 6/28/20142nd time visiting this location for family get together and we waited 15 mins before server took drink order, waited 10 mins before server realized she forgot the kind of beer ordered. The rest of our party showed up and the last couple to join us their food came before the drinks that were ordered. Salmon flatbread was ordered and it didn't have salmon it had shrimp. When it came to pay, we provided our credit cards and they were in her possession for 15 mins. I did not like that one bit! In this day and age of credit card fraud for all we know she could've been skimming our cards. Each visit to this location has been horrible and I will not be recommending to anyone.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceServiceDined on 6/18/2014The service was terrible. We went there for all you can eat crab and the waiter had to remember two things. What kind of dressing for our salad and what kind of potatoe. They brought the wrong salad dressing and the potato came out with nothing on it, when it was ordered loaded. They also served the crab without any melted butter or lemons, which are pretty much staples with crab. In the end I wish we could have tipped the runner, because she did ten times more work than our actual server and got us everything we needed. NOT our actual server.
- Disappointing steak dinnerDianaVIPDined on 6/8/2014Food was ok but for two steak dinners over 50.00 up charge for Change on baked potato, for fries, bar has way to many tvs we would nit go back. Upstairs outside was busy and noisy, we were seated in bar on a beautiful summer day, not a good choice.Special Features:
- food qualityNYfoodieVIPDined on 5/28/2014If I did not have a Groupon and had paid the normal price for my steak dinner I would have been very angry. Even for the Groupon price it was too expensive for the quality of the steak served.
- 25 min dead table.CJinMGVIPDined on 5/24/2014After waiting 25 mins just to get water, and ask for a drink menu, we waited 10 more minutes and no server came back. Never going here again.
- DisgustingMplsBoundDined on 5/24/2014Terrible service, cold food and no toilet paper in bathroom. Waited 2 hours for a table despite staring at an empty table for 30 minutes that the hostesses refused to give up. Ridiculous!
- The following 26 reviews are from the Uptown Tavern reviews archive.
- Not kid friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014They do not have booster chairs for little ones, and charge 9.99 for brunch for kids of all ages. My grand daughter is 1 yo and all she ate was a couple pieces of fruit off my plate. They did take it off my bill but also added nobody eats for free here. Like maybe I was trying to get a free meal.Special Features:
- Fun spot for sureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Went there with a good friend before a speaker's engagement and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Fun JointWVUHammyDined on 5/6/2014Nice joint with a respectable, but not surprising, menu. Heavy on typical bar food, it's done well enough. Staff is fun and crowd seemed like they were all enjoying themselves.Special Features:
- Good bar foodRiley007VIPDined on 4/23/2014We go on Wednesdays for the trivia and the all you can eat crab legs. We also have had the steaks here and they are pretty good. It is a younger crowd, but they serve up good, solid food and they staff is pretty niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enticing menu, disappointing resultmrdan1Dined on 4/20/2014We tried their Easter brunch. The layout was not great and food got cold (not covered). The server was very slow in checking on us, and there was a smell of stale beer from the carpet. The food itself was good.Special Features:
- Disappointednewplace2eatDined on 4/20/2014We went to Uptown Tavern for Easter Brunch. We made reservations on Open Table, but then needed to change the time. I called Uptown Tavern and spoke to someone who said she changed the time. When we got there, they thought we had skipped our reservation and didn't have the new time down. They actually told me that sometimes the person who answers the phone at Uptown Tavern doesn't write down reservation requests. The food was disappointing. The selection was very small, the potatoes were way too salty, the eggs Benedict had hard yokes, and there was no dessert option. There are so many really wonderful places to eat in Minneapolis that it's doubtful I'll return to Uptown Tavern.Special Features:
- crab legs and bomb cheese curds!!!scarrrabDined on 4/15/2014the best cheese curds ever :-P awesome crab legs , veges, sweet potato fries and drin ks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was alright, I thinkdrewDined on 4/12/2014Food was alright, I think it is a better bar than restaurant.Special Features:
- OK food great beer choicesjonyDined on 4/11/2014Food is OK at best. Service is on the slow side. Craft beer list is great and the rooftop is a great people watching spotSpecial Features:
- Great for hipsters and college kidsPhoebeDined on 4/4/2014Not so great for the rest of us. This is a bar, the food was not bad but also wasn't good enough that we'd return.Special Features:
- Got a Group On for the crabOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/27/2014Got a Group On for the crab dinner, would not have considered paying the $50 plus for it otherwise. Came less then steaming with some very mushy veggies. Crab itself was fine, but it got even colder when the wait staff forgot the butter. Friendly, but a little slow.Special Features:
- ServicemojoDined on 3/22/2014Been to this establishment before and have had stellar service. This night it was relatively busy and we had a server that had been on for almost 11hrs and we could tell was tired and worn out. We waited almost 30 minutes from the time we ordered our drinks to ordering our food. Food was awesome, but the service was not what we have experienced before. Maybe just an off day.Special Features:
- The Saturday night steak dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014The Saturday night steak dinner special was tasty and just the right amount of food. The $9.99 price was an amazing deal. Fun atmosphere, but some roudy drinkers. Lots of tv's, which is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome serviceAwesomeDined on 3/12/2014We had a guy who made sure we got everything we neededSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service And Beer SelectionReviewer55720Dined on 2/17/2014Our server was great. We went at a very quiet time. Our steaks were definitely overdone, and had we not had a groupon, we definitely would not order the steaks again at that price. Nice location, easy parking. Fantastic beer selection!
- Crab legs OK. Wait staff veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014Crab legs OK. Wait staff very poor- too busy talking with other staff to pay attention to customers. Cold and drafty by windows. Forgot the vegtables for the meal. We never received them. We will not go back.
- BummedValentineDined on 2/14/2014We went in for the Valentine Special. Our steak was way over cooked. Our server took way to long to get to us when we were ready to leave.
- Not what I expectedPaulDined on 2/13/2014Read a lot about how bad the service was for this place and I must say, this is some of the best service I've ever had. We got our drinks salads and food all very quickly and timely. Had a nice beer list and a waitress who was able to make recommendations based on our tastes. The only down side to our visit was after just getting our food a group of 15 or so young adults just out for some drinks was seated right next to our table even though there was a large amount of open space. At that point we couldn't hear ourselves talk. But other than that, a great overall experience. I would recommend this place any day of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very WeakNicholasDined on 2/8/2014Our food was incredibly boring/bland/not fresh, drinks were very meh and the atmosphere doesn't really work in Uptown. We won't be back.Special Features:
- great timejrwillmanDined on 1/24/2014We went here with a groupon for a steak dinner. While the steak was really good, we were drooling over all the burgers, fish and fries, and appetizers that passed our table. Great beer variety, wonderful service, and a fun atmosphere. So excited to come back during the summer and experience the patio.Special Features:
- No admittanceRyanDined on 12/15/2013We reserved a table for 5 at 5:30 PM. We were not allowed in with our 3 kids as there was a 21+ event. Would have been nice to know that in advance. My ratings don't reflect the experience as I had no experience, however I was required to make a selection.
- Ladies Night in UptownStPauliGirlDined on 11/16/2013None of us had been yet and looked forward to the all-American menu and great location. Our server was attentive, funny and not pushy or annoying. Only surprised it wasn't more busy on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceLindaDined on 11/15/2013Server was unenergetic and didn't smile once. We could tell something was wrong and she acted like she didn't even want us paying customers there. There was a large group there from Wells Fargo that was occupying several of the tables in the back where we were sitting. The server said towards the end of our meal, that there was this group there, taking all her tables, and being very loud. She also said she was just having a terrible night. Very unprofessional to alert us of this and her negative, inappropriate opinion. Food was mediocre and not good enough to get us back there with the level of service they train.Special Features:
- Loved it!kashhDined on 11/8/2013my waiter Tim Hunt did a really good job!!! my food was a little disappointing though. I had ordered the braised chicken quesadilla. and when i took a bite, it was really really dry compared to the last time I was there. the last time I was there (probably 2 months ago) the chicken quesadilla was PERFECT!!!! the chicken was juicy as I expected, but no this time. The sweet potato fries were awesome, just a little too salty.. Other than that, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the atmosphere and the people there! :):):) Uptown Tavern will probably be seeing me soon again! LOLSpecial Features:
- The service was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2013The service was terrible. It took over 40 minutes to get our crab and the waitress kept forgetting to bring us requested items (lemons etc) I had to go to the bar to get my own lemons! We asked a server who came to our table to take our plates which were full of crab shells and she told us "No, I am too busy". The crab was very good but the rest was disappointing.
- AccessibilityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2013As one of our guests uses a walker, we tried to enter the back door which is nearest the parking ramp and has no steps. It was locked and the sign asked everyone to enter the front door. We then had to walk around the building where we found a set of steps leading to the front door. The additional walking to get to the front door as well as the steps were very difficult for our friend. As the door nearest the parking ramp is accessible, they should have it available as an entrance at all times for handicapped patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.