Uptown Tap House
3412 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20038Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Uptown Tap House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.uptowntaphousedc.com/
- Phone: 2022442030x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday - 4:30pm-1:30am
Friday - 4:30pm-2:30am
Saturday - 11am-2:30am
Sunday - 11am-1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Although our dinner service ends at 11:00pm, we offer a full bar with 22 draft beers! We continue to serve beverages Sunday through Thursday until 1:30am, and Fridays and Saturdays until 2:30am!
A word from Uptown Tap House
Uptown Tap House is a new concept located in the Cleveland Park area of Washington, D.C focused specializing in providing a legendary, casual dining experience. We will offer a sophisticated selection of American fare, raw bar, and a refined, upscale beverage program. Along with legendary service, Uptown Tap House also features happy hour during the week, a covered patio seating area, and a private party and event space featuring its own private bar area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Uptown Tap House - Best Restaurants in Cleveland Park ›
Uptown Tap House reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (6)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- JTNUGENTVIPDined on 8/2/2014Although the menu is in transition and some items were not available, the steak egg rolls were awesome and the burger with pork belly (although it looked like just normal bacon) was one of the best burgers I've had in the city. Highly recommend any of the burgers on the list. Looking forward to trying the new menu items when ready. Great place to go before of after a movie at Uptown Theater. Beer selection was good and there was a special for New England beers since the Red Sox were playing. Perhaps in the future, they could have a special for DC beers when the Nats are playing (which they were, on a muted screen).Special Features:
- Uptown Tap House BrunchKW14Dined on 7/26/2014Terrible service. Took 40 minutes just to get coffee and place a food order, and the place was empty. Took over 2 hours total to get served and receive the check, only to find we had been charged way more than we should have.
- A big old cup of meh.lovelobstahVIPDined on 7/19/2014Arrived to check in with the host/hostess, but gave up after 10 minutes of waiting. Thankfully, my friend had arrived earlier and secured our table. We waited about 10 minutes for someone to come over and give us menus, despite it not being crowded. We then ordered drinks (a glass of wine and sparkling water), which seriously took 20 minutes - even after I flagged the waitress down and reminded her that we had been waiting for our drinks. The food arrived, but was mediocre at best, despite a fairly vibrant description on the menu. Bottom line, go for the drinks - if you have time to wait.Special Features:
- Go for the beer not the foodamykVIPDined on 7/17/2014I made reservations here due to another event but the food was very disappointing. My salad had black bits of lettuce in it. It was my friends birthday and frankly I felt awful I'd picked this place. The waitress while sweet knew nothing about beer and could describe any of the draft beers. For a tap house that's unacceptable. So if you know beer, go and enjoy the marble high tops or fables outside but eat elsewhere. I used my phone to research the beers lol.
- Pub grub done well7hom7homVIPDined on 7/16/2014Get the home cooked chips. French dip was l listed on the menu but not available. Hondo burger was good, juicy, cooked right, and messy (a plus). Get the chips. Service was good. I'll return later for the French dip. In the meantime. . get the chips.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No a/csmbsltVIPDined on 6/30/2014The a/c wasn't working and it was a very uncomfortable evening. And they were out of what I had wanted to order.
- Great breakfastLydiaDined on 6/22/2014Really enjoyed WC games at this restaurant. Plenty on TVs, nice size bar, good food and drinks,SERVER WAS EXCELLENT, VEY ATTENTIVE.Special Features:
- RainesjlDined on 6/22/2014Came for brunch around 11:00 on a Sunday and sat out on the patio. It was a great spot to get fresh air and people watch. My friend had the omelette buffet, which was excellent. I had bananas foster french toast, which was good. It was served with breakfast potatoes, which were cold.Special Features:
- Not prepared for World CupAutumnDinerVIPDined on 6/16/2014The First USA game of the World Cup and there are only two servers at the entire restaurant, the hostess started helping take orders, but took over 45 minutes to get a drink and food order about an hour to receive food from initial ordering. The check was all sorts of incorrect. I did not go to this establish for the 2nd USA world cup game, but heard from friend they ran out of various foods & beers, once again...not prepared. You think a restaurant would learn its lesson and be ready.
- Poor servicesmbsltVIPDined on 6/9/2014We had to wait a long time - it took over 10 minutes for one of the people in our group to get a glass of wine and a glass of water.
- The following 38 reviews are from the Uptown Tap House reviews archive.
- Prime Rib Night 😃PastaBeaVIPDined on 4/16/2014We came for the prime rib and got the most pleasant surprise. Uptown Tap House is a pub and one doesn't usually think you will anything beyond good pub food. You would be wrong about that. Chef Howard prepares the best prime rib in town. A one pound piece of meat cooked to perfection and served with salad, mash, and vegetable. If you want a burger or fries you get great ones but definitely go for the prime rib on Wednesday. You won't be disappointed. Servers are friendly and competent. This has become our go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotBeckettDined on 4/13/2014Went on a Sunday afternoon and got seated quickly. We then waited 20 minutes before a server came by. That being said, the food was ultimately very good. Beer selection was also excellent and despite the initial poor service, the waiter we finally got was personable and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved everything about this placebDotReneVIPDined on 4/6/2014Except our server. From the moment I walked in I knew I was going to love this place before we even sat down. The overall appearance was wonderful. Obviously we looked around at the other peoples food since we had never been here before. Found out about this place through a living social deal for brunch. Honestly, for the way that the place made me feel I would have pay full price for brunch. I definitely plan to go back. The only downside was our server. She was very inattentive. We paid for bottomless mimosas and she rarely came back to check on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good RestaurantBEPOEDined on 4/5/2014My friends and I came her for brunch after purchasing their Groupon deal. The servicer's were quick and all very friendly. The food on a 1-10 was probably an 8; the portions were way too large for my stomach but still taste good. I wouldn't go out of my way to go to the restaurant but would stop through if I was in the area and have breakfast/brunch/lunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedGeeeDined on 3/30/2014Shardae was a great hostess very courteous and knowledgeable about the menu. The food was good and the staff was very personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible DiningK0RYDVIPDined on 3/30/2014Got a groupon through living social... Great deal... but wrong resturant. I would not ever go back to this place again. Service was slow. slow slow slow... and the Food was the worst. The Brunch menu is weak. Worst brunch experience I have ever encountered.
- Pumpkin RavioliDatesinthecityDined on 3/26/2014You NEED to eat this ravioli. It is amaze balls. No other way to describe it. We made a reservation on a W night just to be safe but at 7 it was pretty empty. Our servers were great and we even got dessert- bananas foster and it was pretty good. :)Special Features:
- Brunchy GoodnessLLovelyzDined on 3/23/2014Really delicious brunch. Ambience just feels like a bar in daytime, but waiter was friendly and prompt even though the hostess ignored us for the first bit while she chatted up the chef at the omelet bar. Great steak and eggs and delicious potatoes with peppers. Really good food so I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One very big face lift later....JennDined on 3/16/2014Uptown tap House is a great spot that has really turned itself around from the grungy bar that it used to be. The food is fantastic, the prices great, and the portions large. Really enjoyed brunch and was a great Sunday spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out for beersDRobVIPDined on 2/12/2014Great Beers and great relaxed atmosphere for friends. Service was friendly and attentive. Definitely return for the variety of draft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food menu was pretty small,Stacy441VIPDined on 11/23/2013The food menu was pretty small, nothing really jumped out at me. I had a burger, which was pretty typical. The service was very good though, would come back again to watch a football game.Special Features:
- Steak special isn't steakericlisaDined on 11/20/2013Went there after a recommendation. Met with 2 friends for our regular monthly dinner to take advantage of the steak special (Weds.). We were served prime rib which is not steak. Very big and good value and the price was right. But should be call prime rib special, not steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improvedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2013Went here soon after they opened last year and it was horrible. I thought I would give them another try and it seems a lot better. Food is much improved, service is good and they have done away with the dance club like atmosphere they tried to have at first which didn't belong in this neighborhood at all.Special Features:
- They are currently closedAutumnDinerVIPDined on 7/22/2013They are currently closed for two weeks for management changes, I am hoping for some other changes as I would like this to be my neighborhood bar, but they have a long way to go.Special Features:
- Mediocre food, drinks, and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2013This is the second time I've been to brunch at Uptown, and both times have left me underwhelmed. The price is definitely right, you can't beat $7 brunch plates and $7 bottemless mimosas, but honestly, I would rather pay a little bit more for better quality. The service is very slow, they only have 1 server on the brunch shifts in a crowded restaurant. The food is okay, some things are better than others but mediocre on average. Also, the bottomless mimosas taste like watered down orange juice, how about some champagne in that mimosa please?! Overall, would not recommend. The price is right, but thats about it.Special Features:
- "Bottomless MImosas" weak and slowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2013I went to uptown tap house with my friends because they advertised a very good deal on bottomless mimosas ($7 at brunch!!!!) ... but I guess you what you pay for. The service was so slow that you would have finished your first mimosa 20+ minutes before the server would come back around to give you another round. Also, they (and the bloody mary's) were quite weak. Uptown could maximize on mimosa efficiency by leaving a pitcher of mimosas at the table and re-filling each person's original glass instead of giving you a new glass for each round. My fried chicken sandwich was tasty.
- It's a bar, not a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/14/2013My wife and I went here shortly after they opened last fall. It was so-so, so we decided to return and see if they worked out the kinks. It's worse now. Stir-fry with vegetables and hoisin sauce was actually stir fry with "vegetable" and butter -- brown rice with pieces of red pepper and bit of butter. Dry, bland. Stir fry in stir would've been better; this tasted like I'd expect it to taste in jail. Nothing else we ordered was even close to memorable. Drinks are overpriced and the beer list is nothing special. Plenty of other, better places in the 'hood. Just go to Cleveland Park Bar and Grill, much better experience and food, and much better service. Rooftop to boot.
- The beer prices were reasonableOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/13/2013The beer prices were reasonable and the ambiance was fine. However, those are the only positive things I can say about the place. The food was mediocre and overpriced. The service was abysmal. My dining experience lasted almost 2 hours due to slow service when it could have easily been completed in an hour.
- Understaffed and Service isAutumnDinerVIPDined on 5/20/2013Understaffed and Service is Slow. Quality of service when actually interacting with wait staff was poor, hoping it improves, as I want to continue to go back to my neighborhood bar, but they are continuously hurting themselves.
- More of a Bar Scene with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2013Definately too loud to hold any conversation at all. Food was excellent. Waiter disappeared and even the hostess said she had been looking for him for 20 minutes with no luck.Special Features:
- I like the atmosphere at UptownBuckeye86Dined on 4/14/2013I like the atmosphere at Uptown Tap House, however the food wasn't the greatest. Probably better as a watering hole and hang out place more than anything.Special Features:
- AwfulBlaineDined on 4/12/2013This was my second - and last - visit to Uptown Tap House. It's deafeningly loud; by design, it seems. The service was indifferent. They were out of core items early on a Friday night. The food is mediocre, but not inexpensive. And the place smells of stale frying oil and old beer. There's no reason to go here. Ever.
- Disappointing New RestaurantSusanVIPDined on 4/11/2013Not sure if it was an off night. We tried this restaurant mid-week for dinner. The menu had some good selections including a raw bar. There were very few customers. There were alot of staff around but service was slow and inconsistent. Our waitress kept disapearing I think with other responsibilities since I saw her taking some produce into the kitchen. The kitchen initially forgot my husband's salad. When reminded, they did bring one out, apologized and did not charge us for it. The lettuce in our salads was very bland. We ordered fish and chips upon recomendation of the waitress but it was bland too. The shrimp cocktail was very good. We skipped dessert. We don't expect to return.
- It's growing on me. Its notAutumnDinerVIPDined on 4/10/2013It's growing on me. Its not like I am amazed with this place. However, being a neighborhood establishment, I tend to try places more than once and continue to frequent Uptown Tap House. It's not like there is anything to amaze you, but a good neighborhood place to go for food & drinks. Also live music on certain nights and trivia on Mondays.
- Nancy S.LeonaDined on 3/16/2013Food was excellent. It is a bar, so if you don't like noise, stay home. Will definitely go back on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Each time I visit this restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/28/2013Each time I visit this restaurant, it gets worse. Uptown Tap House leaves the impression of what a bar/restaurant would be if it was run by children. While we were there, the staff kept playing with the music volume, finally turning it up to the point where it was uncomfortably loud and conversation at your table was impossible. Despite two tables other than my own bringing this to their attention, nothing was done. Even more irritating was the food. They are amazingly inconsistent with the quality what they serve, and its clear that no one is paying much attention. Their menu is very limited, so there's really no excuse. This could be a great neighborhood bar and grill, but it's not.
- Great for happy hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2013My friends and I frequently come to Uptown and we especially love to come for their happy hour specials. Their margaritas are my favorite and only $5 during happy hour. We will be having all of our happy hour meetings here from now on!Special Features:
- Food can be inconsistent -smbsltVIPDined on 1/28/2013Food can be inconsistent - first time I got a "medium well" burger and it was over cooked so next time I got a "medium" burger but it was undercooked. First time I got fries they were undercooked, but last time they were nice and crispy.
- Great place to catch a televisedSandyDined on 1/6/2013Great place to catch a televised sporting event. Many TVs, terrific wait staff and yummy bar food.Special Features:
- We went back for a secondAWESOMEDined on 1/5/2013We went back for a second time for the happy atmosphere.Special Features: