1624 Bardstown Rd
Louisville, KY 40205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.uptownlouisville.com/
- Phone: 5024584212
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner:Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Matt Weber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Uptown Cafe
The Uptown Cafe offers upscale casual dining in the heart of Louisville's Highlands District. Dining options include bar, dining room and patio dining. The atmosphere is relaxed yet sophisticated without pretense. The Uptown welcomes guests with a wide variety of dining options with both lunch and dinner offered Monday through Saturday. Diners can enjoy a light bite of appetizers, seasonal small plates and salads up to a four course meal. The Uptown has a lovely full bar and all wines are available by the glass as well as by the bottle. 1/2 price bottles of wine on Monday evenings offers a great way to start out the week. All menu selections are house-made daily and include regional and international influences with updated twists. The desserts here are to die for. The Uptown Cafe is a family owned and operated restaurant with a courteous and knowledgeable local waitstaff. The Uptown Cafe has long been known for it's quality menu offerings and value providing a unique experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Uptown Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown Louisville ›
Uptown Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (31)great for lunch (27)special occasion (22)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (14)romantic (12)notable wine list (9)scenic view (8)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (7)Show More
- Forgot how goodgjkleierDined on 10/13/2014It has been quite some time since we last dined at the Uptown and I had forgotten how good the food is. Won't let that happen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety, excellent taste!lmtlmnDined on 10/3/2014We've never been disappointed! Uptown Cafe has long been one of our favorites. The salmon croquettes are the best. Reasonable prices and good size portions. We recommend this restaurant all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014If weather permits, eat outside. It is on the sidewalk, but separated nicely. Walkers are seen, but do not intrude on your experience. It is also lovely inside, but with great weather, it is perfect setting outside.Special Features:
- Uptown exceedsLive4foodDined on 9/22/2014We ate with a group of six. Everyone had something different. Everyone was impressed. Fantastic evening, exceptional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodMTTableDined on 9/22/2014We have dined there for years and can always count on a good experience. Well prepared food. Nicely varied menu. Reasonable pricing. Comfortable, casual ambiance. And fun to watch the Bardstown Road "scene" pass by. Nice to be able to order smaller sizes on some items. Parking is sometimes difficult but not a big problem.Special Features:
- Uptown Cafe is greatOneMooreHorseDined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed the service and food at Uptown Cafe, excellent place to relax and eat great food.Special Features:
- Everythng was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My husband and I went to Uptown Café on a Wednesday night and sat outside. Everything was great from the food, to the service, to the atmosphere. Was a great night all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsthedebsDined on 9/3/2014I have been to Uptown Cafe many times, either for lunch or dinner. It is always consistent with good service,good food and great atmosphere. For lunch, I had the salmon appetizer which was delicious and plenty for me. My friend had the Greek salad,which was a generous serving. She loved it. We had a wonderful, attentive waitress. Just an all around great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not greatLabsDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I dined on a Saturday night. Our reservation was at 8:45 and was ready. It took at least 10 minutes to get our drink orders in. Once they were ordered it also took quite a bit of time to arrive at the table. We ordered an appetizer of smoked gouda queso and chips. It was ok but nothing specatacular. For an entree I had the special. A 5 oz filet with blue cream sauce, new potatoes and green beans. The sauce was great but covered the entire steak and then some. Good but not worth the $28. My husband had jaegerschnitzel. It was tasty. Dessert we had the strawberry napoleon. Ok, but nothing spectacular. The food was ok but nothing great for the price overall.Special Features:
- A quaint little spot.lmhamiltonDined on 8/30/2014This is a charming little bistro. Good food. Good prices. Nothing really special or amazing to say. Definitely an older crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodDiningOutKidDined on 8/30/2014I have never been disappointed at Uptown Cafe. Be it lunch or dinner I would not hesitate to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Lunch.VAisforLoversDined on 8/30/2014Had lunch there on a trip to Louisville. The appetizer specials were amazing. Will definitely go back if we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon Croquettes, out of the canOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014My wife had the Salmon Croquettes and expressed to the waiter that they didn't taste good. The waiter said, "I am sorry that's just the way we fix them"!
- Couple's Dinner (Again!)Tomcat88VIPDined on 8/28/2014One of our many visits to Uptown with good friends for a casual, but very tasty dinner. As always, we reserved (2) Gateau-Ganache desserts, prior to our arrival, to ensure we would enjoy our favorite after dinner treat (Yum!!). We all enjoyed our meals... but especially the smoked salmon pasta.Special Features:
- We LOVE Uptown!anotheranneDined on 8/28/2014Our most recent visit (at the end of August) was for a small retirement celebration, but we don't need a special occasion to send us there---we find ourselves there for no special reason, other than pursuing excellent food from a varied menu, delicious cocktails (oh, that Ruby Red Basil Collins!!), and superb service. Keep up the good work, Uptown!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Your service is so perfect. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ravereviewDined on 8/8/2014We brought two people from out of town for dinner. The restaurant was quiet enough that we could sit and talk without yelling across the table. The chicken liver salad, appetizers and flat iron steak were amazing. The service was awesome and our quests raved about the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good foodBarbDined on 7/26/2014Great bartender and excellent food. Very friendly wait staff and pleasant surroundingsSpecial Features:
- excellent, as always.mariaVIPDined on 7/22/2014The Uptown never fails to live up to my expectations. Of course, the entree was fantastic. But I thought about the napoleon all day and it was worth it!Special Features:
- Good, but ...MichaelVIPDined on 7/21/2014We enjoyed another good meal, and we continue to recommend the Uptown, but on this visit it took a hour for our food to arrive. That's too long. We hope it does not happen next time.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service and Food!LynnetteDined on 7/18/2014Went to the Uptown Cafe for a dinner with family, and we were impressed with the food and the service from start to finish! The restaurant was a bit noisy at first, but quieted down as the evening went on. The colors are comforting, the decor understated, with the food taking center stage. Highly recommend the hummus appetizer--the pistachios are quite an amazing addition to the meal! The squash fritters were not as tasty as we'd hoped, but the breading was wonderful--not too heavy. We had jagerschnitzel, flank steak, and bowtie pasta with smoked salmon. I wouldn't normally order flank steak, but did so at the waiter's recommendation, and the meat was tender and tasty. Corn pudding--fantastic! And the au gratin potatoes were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very dissapointedChuckVIPDined on 7/10/2014here's my problem, when I arrived I asked to sit outside the hotess said they were not sitting people outsied because it was too hot. When I left these were a half a dozzen tables seated outside...really now i know why i was the only one in the dining room.
- Good food, good serviceYummyDined on 7/9/2014Graham was our server. He was very attentive but not cloying and knowledgeable about the wine and menu.Special Features:
- continue to love it!Pam2Dined on 7/7/2014Uptown is STILL one of our favorites. Great food, great service, couldn't ask for anything more. We were meeting an old friend from out of town and I requested a table where they wouldn't mind if we lingered. We had a very relaxing dinner, stayed til practically closing, and never felt rushed or unwelcomed. Such a great place!Special Features:
- RonnieRonnieDined on 7/2/2014It was a great treat to go here . Super nice folks with lots of menu choices . Nice place to hang out afterwards . Would go again .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findLocalDined on 7/1/2014Was looking for a new restaurant to try and we found a good one. Loved the menu. There was something unique for all 6 of us. The kitchen got a bit behind but the food was delicious. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerTomcat88VIPDined on 6/30/2014Our party of 6 enjoyed a group birthday dinner Monday evening...greatly appreciating the 50% off bottles of wine that evening. Everyone had different entrees and all enjoyed the various menu items. The pork chop, trout special and empanadas were especially good. Had to have our favorite dessert as well.... Gateau ganache!!! Yum!!Special Features:
- reliablee123Dined on 6/30/2014Always reliable, good food,, good service. Not trendy but you can count on consistent good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the UptownPam2Dined on 6/23/2014We love the Uptown. The staff is friendly, great variety of entrees and wines, reasonable prices (especially Mondays with 1/2 price wines!), and delicious!Special Features:
- The following 115 reviews are from the Uptown Cafe reviews archive.
- Great find on a quick tripSACTrndKlrDined on 6/21/2014Had a short notice trip to Louisville and Uptown Cafe was at the top of the list on several friend's recommendations. Tenderloin with chimichurri and the roasted pork chop were excellent. But the dessert menu is incredible. We were too full to eat dessert but took that with uis for later! Good decision!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this gemPreferLocalDined on 6/16/2014The Uptown is always consistently delicious, and I never get tired of going there. While the atmosphere is less than cozy, the food is fabulous. Best desserts in town along with the Cheddar Box in Middletown.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014Excellent dinner for 4 but no one remembered it was a birthday celebration for 2 of the guests I had left that special comment on the opentable website LSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsTbhxDined on 5/31/2014My go to restaurant for decades. Great value for the money. The bar serves an honest drink.Special Features:
- A favorite placeEatatthebarfolksDined on 5/30/2014We eat at Uptown Cafe quite often. The food is always excellent. We especially enjoy the small plates items they offer. The people who work there are why we keep going back, however. We are treated like family there. The guys at the bar are the greatest; they always remember what our "usual" is, and they make us laugh. The servers are always on their game, and are very flexible about special requests. Plus, we always see people we know there. There isn't much more you could ask for, in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pebgVIPDined on 5/29/2014A Bardstown road classic! Love the specials and cheesecakes. Friendly staff but not in your face. Small plates always interesting and fun.Special Features:
- WonderfulHungrygirlDined on 5/24/2014The food was amazing. We started with black bean cakes. It was too die for. Their small plates were wonderful, too, as not everyone was very hungry. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!!luv2wineanddineDined on 5/24/2014I took my husband for his birthday and the food was outstanding !!!! We really enjoyed ourselves and hope to be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in LouisvillechrispadgettVIPDined on 5/23/2014Uptown is the best quality restaurant in Louisville. Period. The owner, management, and service staff understand the nuances of how to create a fantastic guest experience: tying together superb service, fantastic food, excellent wine, and divine desserts. The soups and small plates are aways delicious. Everything I've ever had that comes out of the kitchen is excellent. The wine list is wonderful. If you like a white wine that isn't too sweet, I suggest you try a riesling from the Mosel. The desserts are amazing: try the Chocolate Seduction, Napoleon or Empress Carlotta. The flower arrangements are beautiful and the German and Austrian prints that hang on the walls are something you will not see in any restaurant. Here 3-4 times per month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!DerbyCityGalVIPDined on 5/12/2014Had the best lunch at Uptown. We had the special. Tuna Salad on a bed of greens. It was excellent. It was a no mayo tuna salad with great flavor. Mixed greens with a lot of fresh avocado, olive oil, cherry tomatoes. I had a glass of iced tea. Total check was 10.00. I tipped $3.00, excellent waiter. I will eat lunch there a lot more often. Kudos to them!Special Features:
- Not horrendous, but not goodOFJLDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I are new to Louisville. We took some friends who were visiting us to Uptown based upon the positive reviews. Overall, the experience was not good The prices were reasonable and the ambience was nice, but the food was average at best and the service was terrible. It took nearly an hour to receive our food, and the food was lukewarm on arrival. We received no apologies for the long wait, our waitress never asked us how the food tasted, and she didn't bring us a check until 25 minutes after our plates had been cleared. Quite frankly, I felt a bit embarrassed that I chose such a poor restaurant to take our friends to. I will not be going back again.