Upstream - Charlotte
6902 Phillips Place Court
Charlotte, NC 28210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Upstream - Charlotte
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.upstreamseafood.com/
- Phone: 7045567730x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Jon Fortes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For information on Upstream catering, please contact Luke Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 704-556-7730
- Private Party Facilities: Upstream offers 2 spectacular private dining rooms in addition to 2 separate patios for special events.
- Private Party Contact: Luke Andrews 704-556-7730x
- Special Events: Upstream also offers monthly cooking classes on Saturday starting at 10am. Visit the website for additional information.
A word from Upstream - Charlotte
Craving fresh, day boat seafood and sushi? Upstream, located in the heart of the bustling South park area at Phillips Place, offers guests an innovative menu created by Executive Chef, Jon Fortes and Chef de Cuisine, Brian Willams. With a list of awards, including the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, The Dirona Award, Zagat and being named one of the “best new restaurants in the country” by Esquire’s John Mariani, Upstream is the place to have a spectacular dining experience whenever dining in Charlotte.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Upstream - Charlotte reviews from OpenTable diners
152 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (97)fit for foodies (76)romantic (65)neighborhood gem (40)notable wine list (32)good for groups (27)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (15)great for lunch (13)hot spot (11)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Wishing for better choicesfoodfanVIPDined on 10/19/2014Very limited brunch selection. Mostly meat dishes, very little in the way of salads, healthy choices.
- ExpensiveNYLady14Dined on 10/18/2014Not for a meat and potato man. Great for special occasions. Portions are very small for the prices they charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rediculous food portionsReviewerDined on 10/16/2014The pot of muscles were great. I had the scallops, 3 about the size of a 1/2 dollar about 1/2 inch thick. There were 3 tiny leaves of baked kale that I thought was a garnish. The creamed squash was "painted on the plate" and I thought it was some glazed sauce. Both of these were called "sides". My wife had the same experience as well. Can't believe we spent over $100 for this? Won't be back!
- Amazing Sea BassOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/12/2014You must never, ever get anything but the Sea Bass at Upstream. It is absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Upstream RocksxxxxxDined on 10/11/2014Great atmosphere, lot of energy, outstanding food. Good place if you want impress someone. Shortcoming was service during meal, very slack, e.g. our water glasses were never refilled. No one offered pour wine from bottle. Just felt like we got our food, then our check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch overpriced for qualityThethoughtfulcriticDined on 10/5/2014Brunch was moderate quality. For example, Sushi was blah and did not taste all that fresh. Given cost, this was a quite a disappointment.
- My dining experienceNanaDined on 10/1/2014This was my first dining experience at your restaurant and I loved everything. From the bread to the dessert it was wonderful. I can't wait to bring my husband. He will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice placeFoodSamplerDined on 9/29/2014great food, a bit expensive but you get what you pay forSpecial Features:
- Tasty nice placeDukeVIPDined on 9/23/2014Sushi and calamari were good as well the sea bass. Wine selection are nice too. Service was very good as well. Susan the best!!!Special Features:
- Delicious!!!Gray62Dined on 9/20/2014Love this place! The fish is amazing. We each sampled each other's dish and they were all perfect. I had the grouper, another had the salmon, and another had the sea bass (which was really the best of all)! The service was excellent, and the whole evening was wonderful! I will be back, hopefully soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sea bass!ChaychaythekidDined on 9/19/2014Everything we ate for dinner was amazing. The sea bass was by far the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & consistentjjonesVIPDined on 9/16/2014We sometimes go with a group for lunch and Upstream is very accommodating. The menu is somewhat innovative and wonderfully prepared fish (love the sea bass!), sashimi, and even their burgers are great. Always great service.Special Features:
- fabulous seafoodPickedByAChimpDined on 9/12/2014The saki-marinated wild sea bass in miso is tremendous. Every item was extremely fresh, well presented and the staff were very accommodating of allergies/necessary modifications. I also highly recommend the new - style (seared) sashimi selections. Best fine dining seafood in charlotte I've had since moving hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business DinnerNDdinerDined on 9/10/2014Had a midweek Business Dinner with a small group who were working on a large deal. The event went well. We were seated at a great table, the service was attentive, but did not interfere with discussions, the noise level was not an issue and the food was great. Our guests asked for a few customizations to their dinners and everything came out exactly as requested. I have been here multiple times, and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tuna everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I had a great time on our Anniversary and enjoyed the food, the service, and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food Restaurant and ServiceTyJS31Dined on 9/6/2014We enjoy coming to Upstream for dinner - great good service and friendly/attentive staff - you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 50th Birthday!LuvmcandschmicDined on 9/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Upstream, as always. The atmosphere and the ambiance were very energetic. The thai baked oysters were very flavorful, the calamari was very tasty, and the bay of fundy salmon was delectable! The service was excellent as our servers were very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- TerribleBigtymeDined on 8/31/2014Food Choice Was Awful.. Wife Very Disappointed. The Scene Was Very Nice and Cozy.. I Wouldnt Recommend This RestarauntSpecial Features:
- BobbiePin1127Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent sea bass!!!! Great service!!!! Wonderful evening!!!!Special Features:
- Very DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/27/2014I was looking for a special dining experience for a special friend. It didn't happen. My friend was looking for particular flavors in our wine selection. After talking to the sommelier we made our selection. While crisp and nice, the desired flavors were not present. Spicey Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with pineapple and mango were tasty but not spicey and the pineapple and mango were almost nonexistent. Then came the entree. My friend asked the server multiple times if lobster tails were available. Each time the answer was yes. We both ordered the "lobster tail" and when it arrived it was a whole lobster split and covered in greens. Incredibly little meat. We weren't charged for entrees but my friend's special dining experience was ruined.
- Overall OKRamosDined on 8/26/2014We remembered Upstream as a special place but had not been there in a long time. We went recently for a special birthday. Food was excellent but small portions at very high prices. Service was only fair. The place was nearly empty and our server was not attentive. Overall, the experience was OK, but there's too much good competition now, and I doubt we'll return.Special Features:
- Unique Seafood and Brunch FindFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We had been to upstream for diner and found it a great seafood find for Charlotte. We had the Sunday Brunch as a present to me for my birthday, and found the food both excellent and plentiful. The variety went from typical breakfast items such as eggs, bacon and sausage to Prime rib, Salmon, shellfish and a variety of cold meats. The addition of made to order Tapas was the ultimate in brunch treats. The Service was also top notch. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice ambience!JennDined on 8/23/2014We've been here quite a few times now and keep coming back. We almost always order a "special/feature dish"; however, we've tried plenty of items on the menu and have been quite pleased. They're sushi is very good too! We'll be back again!Special Features:
- ST @ Heritage LakeHappyDined on 8/22/2014We were in town for a convention and found this on-line......great find! It's very upscale in a fairly new neighborhood with other retail shops and restaurants. Service was exceptional and the food superb. We had oysters, asparagus, salads and copper river salmon. Absolutely no complaints here. Susan W. was our server and did an excellent job.
- Loved Our ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Our server was great. The food was excellent. We love brunch Sunday after church at Upstream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but high pricesUptownEaterDined on 8/16/2014Upstream still has good food after being open for many years, but the prices are higher than other seafood restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in CharlotteMimiDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Upstream. The waiter was very helpful as we browsed the menu. On his recommendation we ordered a sampling of three hors d' oeuvres: The calamari, crab cakes, and lettuce wrapped shrimp. They were all delicious. My husband ordered the sea bass which is one of their signature entrees , our son ordered salmon and I ordered trout. All were very good. We ended with a flourless torte (melted chocolate inside) which was delicious. The server offered us the torte in celebration of our anniversary. Very nice gesture. Great service, great food. We give them the best recccommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!tlvconsignonlineVIPDined on 8/15/2014You have to try the sushi! Best dinner and wine recommendation in a long time. We will make this a regular dining spot.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerCJCLTDined on 8/9/2014Other than a slightly overcooked steak, everything was perfect and every plate was cleaned!Special Features:
- Great seafoodGregDined on 8/5/2014If you try the wild sea bass, get ready for an explosion of flavors. I really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovesfoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014The calamari was outstanding! Always great food !!!Special Features:
- Uneventful and dissapointingTrustFundFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our table was not ready so we we waited 25 minutes before we were seated in the far end of the restaurant. The lights were quite bright in this area,made for a very unintimate setting. I had asked to be seated elsewhere but the young hostess said that the other tables were reserved despite our long wait.After our order was placed it took a good 30 minutes for bread arriving the same time as our appetizers. Starter was a spicy salmon roll, full of rice with a meager amount of fish. When our grilled red snapper arrived,the waiter didn't ask to debone it nor did he provide a plate to do it ourselves.This is a seafood restaurant,whereby the staff should be trained in such matters.We arrived with high expectations and left greatly dissatisfied.
- Upstreamhjbritt57Dined on 8/1/2014There are many restaurants in Charlotte to choose from but Upstream is always our first choice for special occasions and celebrations. This last experience was no exception and it was actually our 16 year old daughter who chose Upstream; she loves the calamari, I love the scallops and my wife craves the raw oysters.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014We went there for dinner for my fiance's bday and the food and service was great! The portions were moderate but the taste was fantastic!Special Features:
- Poor ServicemlnmVIPDined on 7/27/2014Service was extremely slow and we had to wait 20 minutes after our reservation time to be seated.
- Don't Go For Queen's Feast!ftmjimDined on 7/27/2014Have heard lots of great things about Upstream, so Queen's Feast seemed like a great time to try it. Bad idea. Salads were great, entrees were very good, desserts were OK, service was horrible. I'm going to chalk that up to Queen's Feast week, although I will say that the restaurant was not completely full.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014My second time here. First for valentines day and then queens feast. Best seafood anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in all facetsJanAndDebbieDined on 7/27/2014Upstream always exceeds our expectations. The food, service, and atmosphere were all outstanding. I wish We could eat there much more often. The food is meticulously prepared and extremely flavorful. It is our "go to" place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Queens FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014The menu selections for Queens Feast were extensive and interesting. There were options to upgrade to a more expensive selection by paying just a bit more. There were also wine selections available for each course. Our server was very attentive considering the crowds that are always present during Queens Feast.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014We love the food at Upstream! This time we were seated for dinner in a side room which was happily, quieter than the main room, but has less atmosphere. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable, but overstretched, so our glasses of wine were slow. We've had great service experiences here in the past, so don't let this stop you from trying the excellent and inventive menu! We find that the food execution quality matches the descriptions in the menu, the flavors are clear, and the combinations exciting.Special Features: