Upstream - Charlotte
6902 Phillips Place Court
Charlotte, NC 28210Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Upstream - Charlotte
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.upstreamseafood.com/
- Phone: 7045567730x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Jon Fortes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For information on Upstream catering, please contact Luke Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 704-556-7730
- Private Party Facilities: Upstream offers 2 spectacular private dining rooms in addition to 2 separate patios for special events.
- Private Party Contact: Luke Andrews 704-556-7730x
- Special Events: Upstream also offers monthly cooking classes on Saturday starting at 10am. Visit the website for additional information.
A word from Upstream - Charlotte
Craving fresh, day boat seafood and sushi? Upstream, located in the heart of the bustling South park area at Phillips Place, offers guests an innovative menu created by Executive Chef, Jon Fortes and Chef de Cuisine, Brian Willams. With a list of awards, including the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, The Dirona Award, Zagat and being named one of the “best new restaurants in the country” by Esquire’s John Mariani, Upstream is the place to have a spectacular dining experience whenever dining in Charlotte.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Upstream - Charlotte reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)fit for foodies (81)romantic (72)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (39)good for groups (28)great for outdoor dining (23)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Delicious & consistentjjonesVIPDined on 9/16/2014We sometimes go with a group for lunch and Upstream is very accommodating. The menu is somewhat innovative and wonderfully prepared fish (love the sea bass!), sashimi, and even their burgers are great. Always great service.Special Features:
- fabulous seafoodPickedByAChimpDined on 9/12/2014The saki-marinated wild sea bass in miso is tremendous. Every item was extremely fresh, well presented and the staff were very accommodating of allergies/necessary modifications. I also highly recommend the new - style (seared) sashimi selections. Best fine dining seafood in charlotte I've had since moving hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Business DinnerNDdinerDined on 9/10/2014Had a midweek Business Dinner with a small group who were working on a large deal. The event went well. We were seated at a great table, the service was attentive, but did not interfere with discussions, the noise level was not an issue and the food was great. Our guests asked for a few customizations to their dinners and everything came out exactly as requested. I have been here multiple times, and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tuna everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014My wife and I had a great time on our Anniversary and enjoyed the food, the service, and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food Restaurant and ServiceTyJS31Dined on 9/6/2014We enjoy coming to Upstream for dinner - great good service and friendly/attentive staff - you won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleBigtymeDined on 8/31/2014Food Choice Was Awful.. Wife Very Disappointed. The Scene Was Very Nice and Cozy.. I Wouldnt Recommend This RestarauntSpecial Features:
- BobbiePin1127Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent sea bass!!!! Great service!!!! Wonderful evening!!!!Special Features:
- Very DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/27/2014I was looking for a special dining experience for a special friend. It didn't happen. My friend was looking for particular flavors in our wine selection. After talking to the sommelier we made our selection. While crisp and nice, the desired flavors were not present. Spicey Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with pineapple and mango were tasty but not spicey and the pineapple and mango were almost nonexistent. Then came the entree. My friend asked the server multiple times if lobster tails were available. Each time the answer was yes. We both ordered the "lobster tail" and when it arrived it was a whole lobster split and covered in greens. Incredibly little meat. We weren't charged for entrees but my friend's special dining experience was ruined.
- Overall OKRamosDined on 8/26/2014We remembered Upstream as a special place but had not been there in a long time. We went recently for a special birthday. Food was excellent but small portions at very high prices. Service was only fair. The place was nearly empty and our server was not attentive. Overall, the experience was OK, but there's too much good competition now, and I doubt we'll return.Special Features:
- Unique Seafood and Brunch FindFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We had been to upstream for diner and found it a great seafood find for Charlotte. We had the Sunday Brunch as a present to me for my birthday, and found the food both excellent and plentiful. The variety went from typical breakfast items such as eggs, bacon and sausage to Prime rib, Salmon, shellfish and a variety of cold meats. The addition of made to order Tapas was the ultimate in brunch treats. The Service was also top notch. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice ambience!JennDined on 8/23/2014We've been here quite a few times now and keep coming back. We almost always order a "special/feature dish"; however, we've tried plenty of items on the menu and have been quite pleased. They're sushi is very good too! We'll be back again!Special Features:
- ST @ Heritage LakeHappyDined on 8/22/2014We were in town for a convention and found this on-line......great find! It's very upscale in a fairly new neighborhood with other retail shops and restaurants. Service was exceptional and the food superb. We had oysters, asparagus, salads and copper river salmon. Absolutely no complaints here. Susan W. was our server and did an excellent job.
- Loved Our ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Our server was great. The food was excellent. We love brunch Sunday after church at Upstream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but high pricesUptownEaterDined on 8/16/2014Upstream still has good food after being open for many years, but the prices are higher than other seafood restaurants in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in CharlotteMimiDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Upstream. The waiter was very helpful as we browsed the menu. On his recommendation we ordered a sampling of three hors d' oeuvres: The calamari, crab cakes, and lettuce wrapped shrimp. They were all delicious. My husband ordered the sea bass which is one of their signature entrees , our son ordered salmon and I ordered trout. All were very good. We ended with a flourless torte (melted chocolate inside) which was delicious. The server offered us the torte in celebration of our anniversary. Very nice gesture. Great service, great food. We give them the best recccommendation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!tlvconsignonlineVIPDined on 8/15/2014You have to try the sushi! Best dinner and wine recommendation in a long time. We will make this a regular dining spot.Special Features:
- Lovely birthday dinnerCJCLTDined on 8/9/2014Other than a slightly overcooked steak, everything was perfect and every plate was cleaned!Special Features:
- Great seafoodGregDined on 8/5/2014If you try the wild sea bass, get ready for an explosion of flavors. I really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovesfoodVIPDined on 8/5/2014The calamari was outstanding! Always great food !!!Special Features:
- Uneventful and dissapointingTrustFundFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our table was not ready so we we waited 25 minutes before we were seated in the far end of the restaurant. The lights were quite bright in this area,made for a very unintimate setting. I had asked to be seated elsewhere but the young hostess said that the other tables were reserved despite our long wait.After our order was placed it took a good 30 minutes for bread arriving the same time as our appetizers. Starter was a spicy salmon roll, full of rice with a meager amount of fish. When our grilled red snapper arrived,the waiter didn't ask to debone it nor did he provide a plate to do it ourselves.This is a seafood restaurant,whereby the staff should be trained in such matters.We arrived with high expectations and left greatly dissatisfied.
- Upstreamhjbritt57Dined on 8/1/2014There are many restaurants in Charlotte to choose from but Upstream is always our first choice for special occasions and celebrations. This last experience was no exception and it was actually our 16 year old daughter who chose Upstream; she loves the calamari, I love the scallops and my wife craves the raw oysters.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2014We went there for dinner for my fiance's bday and the food and service was great! The portions were moderate but the taste was fantastic!Special Features:
- Poor ServicemlnmVIPDined on 7/27/2014Service was extremely slow and we had to wait 20 minutes after our reservation time to be seated.
- Don't Go For Queen's Feast!ftmjimDined on 7/27/2014Have heard lots of great things about Upstream, so Queen's Feast seemed like a great time to try it. Bad idea. Salads were great, entrees were very good, desserts were OK, service was horrible. I'm going to chalk that up to Queen's Feast week, although I will say that the restaurant was not completely full.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014My second time here. First for valentines day and then queens feast. Best seafood anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in all facetsJanAndDebbieDined on 7/27/2014Upstream always exceeds our expectations. The food, service, and atmosphere were all outstanding. I wish We could eat there much more often. The food is meticulously prepared and extremely flavorful. It is our "go to" place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Queens FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014The menu selections for Queens Feast were extensive and interesting. There were options to upgrade to a more expensive selection by paying just a bit more. There were also wine selections available for each course. Our server was very attentive considering the crowds that are always present during Queens Feast.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014We love the food at Upstream! This time we were seated for dinner in a side room which was happily, quieter than the main room, but has less atmosphere. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable, but overstretched, so our glasses of wine were slow. We've had great service experiences here in the past, so don't let this stop you from trying the excellent and inventive menu! We find that the food execution quality matches the descriptions in the menu, the flavors are clear, and the combinations exciting.Special Features:
- Fresh SeafoodlenroseDined on 7/26/2014If you like sushi and fresh seafood this is your place to try. A little pricey but certainly worth it. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always happy with UpstreamSidamoDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Upstream. Our waitress was attentive without being intrusive. My entrée, 1lb lobster, was great. The Wasabi melted butter was delish! My husband had been looking forward to the night all week. He was disappointed with the halibut. He thought it had been frozen and the texture was "mushy". The chocolate dessert with salted caramel ice cream was the BEST!Special Features:
- Great dinnerWinersandDinersDined on 7/25/2014Great food and drinks. Crème Brulee was excellent. I had grouper and shrimp which was delicious.Special Features:
- Want to eat My way through menu.Gocards01Dined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent. Atmosphere was very nice and menu choices were enticing throughout. The top of what you can obtain for high end seafood dining in Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodies4surefoodies4sureDined on 7/25/2014We were very disappointed. We had been told by a staff member, that on Rest Week they would have the filet steak. . but they did not have it. That was the only reason we wanted to go. We had been at a meeting earlier in the year and had the filet and it was excellent. VERY disappointed that it was not on the menu. Too much Seafood. Only one Beef choice. We had friends with us, that we had told, how good the filet had been. . .Needless to say they were a little disappointed too.Special Features:
- Good but loudLuvgrtfoodDined on 7/25/2014As always it is jammed during queens feast week. We have been seated at the same table 3 times near the entrance to the kitchen and it is like the motor speedway and everyone is yelling in the kitchen. The server was way too busy with probably too many customers but the food is too good to pass up. If they would be more aware of the customers near the kitchen it would have been a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceHarpslinkDined on 7/24/2014The service at Upstream was above and beyond. We had an 8pm reservation that took longer than expected to be seated. The hostess and general manager made sure to keep us updated and let us know about the situation. This made waiting an ease and not even an issue. Our server was knowledgable and friendly and did a great job. We went during restaurant week so it was a little hectic. Food and wine were good. We will definitely go again, but outside of restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet the hype.UncharlesDined on 7/24/2014Every aspect of the evening took too long. The soup and ahi tuna appetizers had incredibly small portions. The entrees were pretty good but not amazing. Went for Queens feast so got 3 courses for $30. Would have been upset if we had paid full price. Has a very nice decor.Special Features:
- Great deal for restaurant weekVictoriaDined on 7/24/2014As a result, they were slammed. We waited a long time for our food, but no big deal. Food was great...moderate portion sizes, so I didn't feel stuffed after a 3 course meal. Would definitely return for another nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing highlights, mixed servicecharmed59Dined on 7/24/2014We went during Queen's feast, and though I expect the great dishes will still be amazing on a normal week, I think the misses on food and service were due to the busy nature of the week. My husband had the ahi tacos, which had to be the most amazing ahi tacos ever. He loved his lobster, and said it was very well cooked. However, they served it without crackers or special utensils, and he felt the drawn butter could use more salt. It took a waiter 20 minutes to track down a salt shaker. Both of my courses, the prawns in curry and grouper with prawns had wonderful flavors, but the prawns were chalky. One of the three glasses of wine from the wine pairing was undrinkable, and the waiter didn't offer to trade it for a different glass of wine.Special Features:
- Slow service, cold food.danstatDined on 7/24/2014Even after making a reservation on OpenTable, the hostess pressured us to sit in the bar area rather than the main dining room. In fact, we really didn't have a choice. The service was extraordinarily slow and our main courses were cold. We also used the same forks and knives for our entrees as we did our appetizers. I will not return based on the multiple issues we faced during our meal.
- Restaurant WeekMimiDined on 7/24/2014I found this to be the best value and most pleasant of any of the restaurants I visited. Staff made an effort to find the quiet spot I requested (tho it got noisy later when a large group came in), the food was excellent and generous, and the service was great. I noticed non-serving staff unobtrusively frequently checking the room...impressive. All in all, a great choice.Special Features: