Upstairs at '21'
21 W. 52nd St
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Upstairs at '21'
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.21club.com/
- Phone: 2125827200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Tuesday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Sylvain Delpique
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 5th Avenue
- Public Transit: E or V train to 53rd Street/Fifth Avenue
B, D, F or V train to the Rockefeller Center
Q, N, R or W train to 49th Street/Seventh Avenue
No 1 or No 9 train to 50th Street/Broadway
No 6 train to 51st Street/Lexington Avenue
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Self-Park Garage next door (31 W. 52nd St.) Reduced parking available through www.21club.com
A word from Upstairs at '21'
Voted Best New Restaurant and acclaimed as one of the most romantic places to enjoy dinner in New York City, Upstairs at '21' is an elegant 32-seat restaurant featuring inspired cuisine in an exquisite salon-like setting framed by vivid murals of New York in the mid-1930s. Located within '21' Club, the Upstairs at '21' offers guests attentive service, fine American cuisine, a Grand Award-winning wine list and unique, historical surroundings. Once a glamorous speakeasy, today '21' is one of the most celebrated restaurants in New York City. In addition to our two restaurants, the Bar Room and 'Upstairs', this four-story townhouse features ten private party rooms ideal for celebrations, meetings and special events, including the legendary Prohibition-era Wine Cellar. DRESS CODE: Jackets for gentlemen; no jeans or sneakers, please.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Upstairs at '21' - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Upstairs at '21' reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)romantic (16)notable wine list (13)fit for foodies (7)vibrant bar scene (6)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- NYC Dining at it's finest!Oegas1983Dined on 7/26/2014Though we did not get to dine upstairs (water damage due to heavy rains), the Bar Room and its iconic dining area did not disappoint. Surprised my wife for our anniversary. Surprisingly, it was quite affordable for being such a legendary place. Food was delicious. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedluckylanaDined on 7/18/2014Did not get to dine upstairs. Had to sit in bar area. Said there was a roof leak but waiter said remodeling was going on...food was average. No need to have to wear a coat & tie...not fancy.
- Bob HilgerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Dined Upstairs 21: Food was good but skimpy portion. I had Lamb Shank and my lady had Steak. To many tables and people to make this Quiet and Romantic and the Maitre D was loud at every table so his voice boomed all evening as he went table to table so the Ambience was very disappointing. The bill was outrageous for what we received. $300.00 for this was just to high. Will not go back.
- Memorable dinning experience.PRPAPIDined on 6/28/2014Fantastic ambiance. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. Great romantic option for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Upstairs at the 21 never disappoints. Elegant without being stuffy. Old NYC at it's best. We are in NY, 4 times a year and always dine here. 3 course dinner is $75 fix price a person. Chocolate souffle is worth the extra time. Book via open table and check out their web site--they offer 20% gift certificate specials that are good on dinner and wine!Special Features:
- An exquisite dining experienceAllTheWayDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I had a wonderful time at 'Upstairs at the 21 Club'. Our waiter, Kyle was very attentive and a fantastic host. The vocal jazz selections were a beautiful blend that exuded a sensual sophistication. The volume was perfect for the level of activity in the dining room. The Prix Fixe selections were a vibrant selection of colors and flavors. The each course of the meal was prepared with care and attention. Both entrees were delicious, flavorful and the perfect serving size. The dining experience carries forward a tradition of style and level of attention that seems to be lost and forgotten in other dining establishments. Cheers to 'Upstairs at 21' . It was the perfect restaurant for a romantic night at the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shepDined on 6/14/2014This was our 10th time and it was sublime as always. Dinner at 21 Upstairs is a must do every time we visit NYC.Special Features:
- Anniversary must!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014I surprised my wife with a weekend in the city and made 21 our dinner spot. Wonderful experience, I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC at its bestJjinplanoDined on 6/7/2014Amazing food, the service was a little slow, but otherwise a perfect night out. Great wine listSpecial Features:
- DISASTER!BeansVIPDined on 6/7/2014Firstly our appetizers were all OK except for my steak tartare...under seasoned and boring so they graciously exchanged it for the crabmeat cocktail which was good.Now my sister and husband both order the cavatelli pasta(on the menu, not a special)with braised short rib..I order scallops and my husband the famous 21 burger..well the waiter brings out the cavatelli with lobster and not short ribs and does not say they ran out of short ribs...WHO DOES THAT? They both found out by tasting the dish and neither of them like lobster but what if they had been allergic to shell fish? Could have been serious! Refired my scallops & they came out raw. But they did the right thing in the end and only charged us for our wine.We left and ate elsewhere!
- 21 club nycarkierock2Dined on 5/29/2014Outstanding menu & excellent service for either pre-theater or full evening. Blessedly quiet in dining room (don't know about bar room noise) upstairs just soft background music of the era, best for adults, not appropriate for kids. Gorgeous murals in intimate upstairs dining room worth waiting for. Waiter personable and knowledgeable about food, wine, history, music, nyc scene, which we encouraged but suspect he is equally adept at intuiting preference for solitude. Great Martini! 21 our alltime fav! Pre-theater turn around 1 hr 10 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/27/2014We had a lovely dinner, we loved the 'old school' ambiance of the restaurant and our waiter was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fantastic experiencedccoupleDined on 5/27/2014We recently had dinner at Upstairs at 21 to celebrate our engagement, and it couldn't have been a better experience. From the service, to the wine list to the meal itself, hands down one of the best restaurants we've been to. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014The waiter was knowledgable and delightful. The food was outstanding. We will have it as a "must" on the next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School NYCHowardDined on 5/17/2014If you are looking for a romantic place that has all of the ambiance of old school New York, look no further.Special Features:
- white table cloth dinnerUnhappyDined on 5/16/2014Upstairs at 21 Club-nice white table venue. Food did not match venue. Prior dinners here-food was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/201421 is great but to offer a 3 course pre show dinner at 5:30 when the play is at 7 is crazy! When we arrived we were told by our waiter that we'd only be able to have 1 course and we had to rush. Either open earlier for pre theatre or don't offer it 21 should be enjoyed at a leisurely pace, not rushed. The food and service was great, and it was nice of our waiter to warn us or we could have spend more money and not been able to finish!
- Pre-Theater diningSuninthemorning25aDined on 5/7/2014We didn't eat upstairs. We ate in the Bar Room as it was being renovated, and it was lovely. The wait staff was attentive. The food was delicious. The Maitre D'- not so much. Felt he was abrupt.Special Features:
- Very special placeAndreyBDined on 5/3/2014The food isn't 'prominent', but the place is really suitable for special events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 54 reviews are from the Upstairs at '21' reviews archive.
- A Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014We went to the 21 Club for our anniversary and were very pleased with the food and top-notch service. The short ribs were perfectly cooked and the chocolate mousse cake was spectacular. The dining room is nice and small and is a great place for a romantic dinner.We look forward to dining at the 21 Club in the near future.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014I found 21 when I went on line to get Theater tickets for a weekend trip to New York. I was thrilled with your restaurant it was perfect in every way. The music was great also....nice light jazz very relaxing and a perfect pace between courses. The waiter was top notch. I would love to come to your restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attitude Trumps ServiceKabsaabsVIPDined on 5/2/2014I made (and guaranteed with a credit card) a 5:30 reservation with clients who were in from out of town. Our party of 4 was ALL present at 5:27 and I informed the maitre'd , the captain, the hostess and our bar waiter (as we were told to wait at the bar) that we had theater tickets for an 8pm curtain at theater more than 1/2 a mile away and we were walking. We were NOT seated (upstairs) until 20 minutes later. We likewise then told our waiter of our time situation. Long story short we were not able to order dessert (which is part of the $75 prix fixe meal) but were told we could come back AFTER the theater. We were clearly viewed as tourists. OUTRAGEOUSSpecial Features:
- Disappointed with foodDenim20Dined on 4/23/2014It has been about 5 years since I've been to this restaurant and was really looking forward to the trip. The restaurant is everything I remembered except that it was freezing and evidently on an automatic system. The satisfaction with the food depended on which side of the table you were on. I started with the foie gras terrine. It was perfectly prepared in texture but had absolutely no taste, so it was like eating lard. My companion had the crab cake and it was absolutely delicious. My entree was diver scallops. Again, prepared to perfection, but very bitter. I suspect they contained phosphate to plump them up. My companion had beef short ribs and once more, it was very good. Dessert was good.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014I was visiting NYC for the first time this week and could not not go to Lucy Ricardo's favorite restaurant! The service was impeccable, the food was beyond delicious! I had the filet mignon (medium well) and I must say, it was grilled to perfection. The cheesecake is to die for. I will definitely be coming back to 21 the next time, and every time I am in NY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21 ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. The service was top notch and so was the food. Wine list for days.Special Features:
- Romantic and ....LoveroffoodVIPDined on 3/29/2014I have nothing to complain about. The experience was one of the very best that I've had in New York City. The room was intimate, romantic and our waiter didn't hover but was always attentive to our needs. Great food and service, what more is there to ask for?Special Features:
- Would give it another try.JustUsDined on 3/29/2014Service was good, very friendly, but he seemed rushed. After our first course, we were passed off to a bus/server person to finish our service. The food overall was good, I rate it 'Good' based on quality to value. It was decent tasting food, but for the price it wasn't 'that' good. I tried the mixed grill of wild game and it was very mild meat. I eat elk and venison on a regular basis and if I didn't know it from the menu, I would not have thought it to be either of them. Probably a little of personal taste, but again quality for value. Next time we are in NYC we may give it another try, but in the downstairs bar area. Nothing really bad, just not as special as I thought. It does have a great wine list of some very good vintages.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014I dined at this restaurant for a birthday dinner. The food was excellent. I found the room to be a bit small, which I wasn't used to but it was an excellent meal overall.Special Features:
- A must stop for all NY Weekenders3xIrishBirthdayGirlsDined on 3/21/2014Last weekend my sister, mum and I visited NY. We booked 21 for our pre-theatre meal. We really put service through its paces by running late (thanks to the great ambience in the bar downstairs), adding another person to the booking at no notice, needing to dash off to make curtain up on 42nd street. The food was delicious with the whole menu tempting all our varied pallets, the wine list extensive. Our waiter was courteous, knowledgeable and above all directed us very well and got us to the show on time. We had to skip dessert but will make a point to return and make our meal at 21 the focus of our night out next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st Birthday to Remember!!AussiesInNYCDined on 3/18/2014Thank you '21' for the loveliest evening on 18th March 2014. We enjoyed wonderful food, wine and amazing service with attention to detail. It is a night we will never forget. We can't thank you enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!DanaDined on 3/6/2014We rarely splurge on restaurants of this calibre - this was an anniversary - but I'm glad we did. The food and ambience were excellent, but gentlemen be warned - you WILL be turned away if you're not wearing a jacket. A SERIOUSLY impressive, 70+ page wine list awaits you if you have the wallet for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All that 21 has to offer.LouEVIPDined on 3/4/2014A perfect combination of intimate dining and the charm of the 21 Club in a twelve table separate room. A dedicated waiter and add to the perfect service expected at this world famous restaurant. My expectations were high and were exceeded by Upstairs at 21.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StunningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Upstairs at 21 was everything that we wanted for the evening. Superb food and service, including the very attentive and knowledgeable Captain for the evening, Kyle. Ambiance was wonderful and they kindly catered to our pre-theatre timing needs with great care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFine2dineVIPDined on 2/22/2014Looking forward to a New York staple left me thinking, "What happened?" Our waiter was friendly and attentive, but the food left a great deal to be desired. Not what I expected at all. Enough said.
- The Tradition ContinuesNormDined on 2/19/2014Our first time here after wishing to go for years. You get a real sense of tradition and history upon entering. Crowded, noisy, bustling, everyone well dressed, what you would think a top tier NYC restaurant would be. We ate upstairs, a totally different atmosphere from the traditional downstairs. We'll do the downstairs next time. The service was impeccable. The food was good, but not memorable for us. Well prepared and nuanced, but I think we are used to bolder flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good StuffJackJackDined on 2/15/2014The setting was excellent, including the overall atmosphere. Our location upstairs was perfect for the occasion (celebrating an anniversary). The service was excellent as in the past despite personnel changes. We enjoyed the food and our time at the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun,Fun,FunOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/11/201421 Club is great for pre-theater dinner or an evening out on the town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Excellent place for special occasion. Staff were super accommodating and friendly. Will definitely recommend to friends and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- "Upstairs" is top notch!JoePDined on 1/18/2014While in NYC for our 1 year anniversary, I made a reservation at the 21 Club "Upstairs." Research proved the place to be really nice and fitting for our occasion. Let me say, the reviews did it no justice. This was by far THE BEST dining experience that we have ever had. Walking in the door, everyone knew my name. The "wine man" (as we named him, although I think his name was Brian) really knew his stuff about wine. We left it up to him for a choice and nailed it after a couple questions. JJ Prum - Riesling was perfect! Kyle our waiter was very knowlegable about the menu, and was super friendly. Service was spot on all around and the food was awesome! (Highly recommend the game platter). We will definitely be returning. A lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014We were very disappointed. Pretentious would sum it up. Fancy room, fancily dressed waiters, but mediocre food. Most annoying of all, the waiter kept recommending the same menu items to all the guests in a loud booming voice, (with out being asked to do so). It made you want to ask, is there something wrong with the other items? We suspected he recommended the cheaper items and the quickest to make, on a set menu where all paid the same price for a 3 course meal.The smoozing, when the waiter attended the tables seemed insincere. Would not recommend it.