608 Valley Rd
Montclair, NJ 07043Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.608upstairs.com/
- Phone: (973) 744-4144
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: (Brunch) 12pm - 4pm, (Dinner) 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Robert Giordano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: Bellevue Ave
- Public Transit: NJ Train, Upper Montclair Train Station is steps away from our back entrance. NJ Transit bus number 28 and the DeCamp 66 bus both stop in our rear parking lot for commuter convenience.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is a metered parking lot in the back of the restaurant (off of Bellevue Ave) and there is street parking on Valley Road.
A word from Upstairs
Upstairs is a modern American cuisine establishment which offers its guests a full bar and extensive liquor and wine list. The cocktails are exciting and the dishes are artfully created. There are three dining experiences at Upstairs, our bar/lounge seating, kitchen seating (next to our open kitchen) and our dining room for a more intimate experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Upstairs reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (24)vibrant bar scene (15)neighborhood gem (14)hot spot (12)special occasion (9)notable wine list (9)romantic (7)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Automatic GratuityBauerdrDined on 11/22/2014We were a party of 6 so they automatically added 20% to the bill. No problem. A little high but that wasn't what bothered us. Gratuity should be added to the food and drink portion rather than the total bill. Adding tip to a total that includes tax is not proper. It was explained that although they agreed it was not right, "the computer does it". How's that for a weak excuse.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here from here say and will be back!LT26Dined on 11/22/2014Heard about this place from my cousin who heard about it while chatting on A plane from someone who lives in the area -- we had a reservation and were seated quickly.. Bar and decor is excellent. Our area was very "cozy" w the heat blasting on us but that was quickly helped at our request. I enjoyed the menu selection as its seasonal. Portions were pretty good for the price. Drinks were strong and delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the barN1njaVIPDined on 11/15/2014This place is worth checking out for the lit stairs and the fantastic bar. The food was a bit of a disappointment. I had the shortribs which were tasty and hot but was served on a bed of cold mashed potatoes (?). Salad was so so. I had a taste of the kabocha soup which was pretty good. The desserts are pretty small which was fine with me but not the guys. Although our waiter was fantastic, it took a REALLY long time for us to get our main courses. It was pretty noisy once the place filled up so not a place to go for a quiet romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTJohnDined on 11/13/2014Enjoy every time. Never had a bad meal or experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit by the bar or kitchen area.Nosher1Dined on 10/25/2014First time. Very positive experience. Sit bet the bar or kitchen for the full effect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and FriendlyurmeisterDined on 9/21/2014Great find. Staff was so helpful and accommodating. Made the visit comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a treat!HRoseVIPDined on 9/20/2014We have eaten at the Japanese restaurant Dai Kichi in Upper Montclair and always enjoyed it. We finally went to their "newish" restaurant Upstairs. What a treat. Lovely ambiance, great service, and excellent, creative food. Highly recommend a visit. We will return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Creative & deliciousrolloDined on 9/13/2014And the staff was very accommodating for one of our diners with allergy issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014A group of us (4) had dinner at Upstairs on Saturday night. The hostess was very friendly and accommodating. We were able to have a drink at the bar before sitting down for our meal, it was very nice not to be rushed to sit down. The menu had some very interesting items on it, the specials were seasonal and tasty. I had the scallops which were cooked to perfection and my husband had the duck which was also cooked perfectly. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasBorn2chopDined on 9/12/2014Went here upon a recommendation. The specialty drinks were delish but could only have one bc they were strong. Not an extensive menu but we opted for the Tapas. They were just the right amount and so good. Definetly will come back again.Special Features:
- RecommendmarblackDined on 9/6/2014I've been to Upstairs several times. The food is always very good. The cocktail menu is creative. The staff is very friendly. I always have a good experience there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Drink!markpDined on 8/27/2014Upstairs never fails to serve great food along with a perfect wine selection. Since their menu will change with the seasons, you know there will be new items to found every few months. Plus the bartenders make great drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect local spotFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We loved our dining experience. The food is delicious and the service was very attentive. One drawback is that the portions are small.Special Features:
- Great little gemMicDenBurVIPDined on 8/23/2014Our second time eating here and found the food and service better than average. The atmosphere is a little drab, but well lit and pleasant. The portion sizes are generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014I always struggle to find a suitable place to eat with my mom... My tastes are very eclectic and I love places that take risks with flavors, mom, not so much. Here the food is so good that we both can find something that is truly enjoyable. If I lived locally, I would eat here all the time!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing dining experience!MissPeach2Dined on 8/19/2014What an incredible evening! The bar is the most unusual and inviting bar I've EVER seen, and although the restaurant was unusually quiet on this summer, Tuesday evening, the food was superb, unusual, and just plain outrageous! Our waitress, Jessica, from Brazil , made everything special! Oh yes, I dare not fail to mention the WARM, toilet seat that goes up and down at the opening and closing of the bathroom door!!!! Can't wait to return!!!! I'd LOVE to know how they make those scrumptious brusel sprouts!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually excellent, But.........DD35Dined on 8/1/2014Our waiter was friendly but not very informative and they had no specials which was disappointing. The cheese plate was good but the waiter had a hard time naming all the cheeses. The Duck was fantastic but the hanger steak wasn't very good. In fact my wife found a hair and then the meat was tough and chewy so my wife barely touched it. When another waitress cleared the table it was evident that my wife didn't eat her food. The waitress didn't say a word and just took the plate without asking if she wanted it wrapped or if there was something wrong with the food. On a positive note My Wife and I enjoyed our cocktails and they had an amazing Beer on tap called Rossabi. We are not complainers so I wish the waitress was more aware.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Upstairs reviews archive.
- MixedMosaaDined on 7/28/2014The food was creative and interesting, but the food arrived very slowly and the server did not seem very on top of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent, no specials... Service was ok, not great... Ambiance is lacking, the 2 windows they do have in the main area are covered so no light or anything. Just is lacking the feel of a nice dinner out... But again the food was excellent!Special Features:
- Uncomfortably warmOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014Good food but it was so uncomfortably warm that everyone was sweating. I mentioned it to the server twice, but she seemed unable to talk her manager into cranking up the A/C. The bar area was much cooler, if I had to do it again I would have eaten at the bar.
- Excellent FoodLoveToEatDined on 7/15/2014The cheese plate and brussel sprouts were my favorites. There are 3 choices of seating areas - at the bar (very bright and a bit noisy), adjacent to the open kitchen (quieter but warm from the oven) and a more formal, quite dining room at the rear.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeTheRuckusDined on 7/12/2014This is the second time I've been to Upstairs. The first time was so great, I felt like it could have been a fluke. But I was wrong--the second time was just as good. Everything from the predinner cocktails to dessert and coffee was just perfect. And the wait staff is friendly and attentive, without being overbearing. As the back dining room fills up, it can get a little loud, but not distractingly so. I recommend the seared duck breast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2014Good atmosphere and terrific food. A bit pricey but a very good overall experience.Special Features:
- Small and Large DishesUpstairsDined on 6/30/2014Upstairs has an upscale feel at reasonable prices. The decor is modern and inviting. The menu features large and small dishes. The servings are perfectly sized to better represent gourmet versus too much. The bar menus is extensive and the service was very good. This restaurant is a quality opportunity to enjoy a great meal made special by it's owner.Special Features:
- outstanding foodnjfoodieDined on 6/27/2014the owner visited each table and spent a few minutes talking...nice touch !Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/22/2014When you go you must order the gnocchi and shrimp small plates, they are out of this world! Expertly prepared and perfectly seasoned. Highest quality ingredients.Special Features:
- Excellent food, okay ambianceGetFitzDined on 6/20/2014Food was awesome. Try the small plate Brussels and large plate salmon, very tasty. Nice portion size. Very attentive staff. Small but cozy. Ambiance is nice, but not romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectoscar2Dined on 6/20/2014Great spot. Beautiful bar, food is very good. A little bit of Manhattan in Upper Montclair. Tables available by kitchen, great energy and viewing of chefs. As you can tell, we really like Upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upper Manhattan Meets MontclairMontLife1289VIPDined on 6/16/2014Excellent food, professional staff, perfect drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for girls night outInnaDined on 6/12/2014Upstairs is cozy and stylish with delicious cocktails and scrumptious appetizers. The portion size is perfect, whether you're ordering for one person or would like to share and try a few.The flavors are delicious and sophisticated. The service is easy, friendly and attentive. The atmosphere is vibrant for a night out, but quiet enough so you can actually talk. Will be definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUN BAR AND DELICIOUS FOODLuvs2NotCookVIPDined on 6/12/2014LOVE COMING HERE FOR A PRE-MOVIE OR AFTER-MOVIE DRINK AND FOOD. SOMETIMES JUST GET THE STARTERS OR SIDES. CAN'T GO WRONG! Great wine list and cocktails, and fun to watch the Open Kitchen prepare your meal. Or sit in the Dining Room (the only part I don't truly love about this place as it seems too sterile and small compared to the bar area). We generally like to sit at the bar or the high counters stools. Celebrated after-wedding party there, too and it was FUN!Special Features:
- Wendy1VIPDined on 5/22/2014We've been to Upstairs many times and always enjoy our experience. Tonight, though, the magnificent pork chop was overcooked and somewhat dry, not succulent like it usually is. And the salmon over an enormous, cold mound of wheatberries and raw onions was a loser in my book. Hangar steak was great as were the scallops. Brussels sprouts awesome. Please change the menu though from time to time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limited menudinnerDined on 5/21/2014Food was great. Very tasty. great place for our monthly dinner with friendsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2014Great as usual! Enter using magical color lighted steps!Special Features:
- njkaraDined on 5/16/2014lovely drinks but limited food menu- needs to expand appetizer optionsSpecial Features:
- Less SparkleOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/14/2014Good but not as good as in the past. This place has lost its shine and sparkle. Portions on the cheese plate were noticeably smaller than the last time we dined. Menu has also fewer choices, although the chicken was very delicious, it was a very small portion and A LOT of vegetables to fill up the plate. It's overpriced.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/12/2014Great as usual! Aki has created a wonderful restaurant once again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchmctrevorDined on 5/10/2014This was the first time we tried lunch at Upstairs, and absolutely every dish ordered was incredible. It had the finesse of their dinner fare in portions for for lunch. We all picked at each other's plates to taste everything and we all left satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food here is to die forDarlingdinerDined on 5/2/2014We had the fried okra- was like candy! We also had the shrimp, the beet ANC goat cheese salad, the salmon, and a very good chilled pea soup. The food here is really transformative! I recommend it wholeheartedly. Also had the strawberry rhubarb cocktail, delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place. City vibe. Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2014Excellent service. Everything we ordered was delicious. Nicely prepared, simple and all good. Bar scene was hopping which is nice to see in the suburbs! Owner/Maitre'd was very accommodating. We celebrated an anniversary, and received a little extra attention - which was greatly appreciated. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.