Up The Creek
223 Gore Creek Dr., Suite 103
Vail, CO 81657Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Up The Creek
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vailupthecreek.com/
- Phone: (970) 476-8141
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Douglas McAvity
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant is available for private functions. We offer buy-outs for large parties and can handle smaller parties in our regular service. Our creek side location is the perfect setting for rehearsal dinners, weddings, and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Stadler 9704768141
A word from Up The Creek
Up the Creek Bar and Grill has been family operated since 1988. In our effort to serve only great, healthy, sustainable food we source our ingredients locally as much as possible, and use additive free, grass fed and environmentally responsible products. Try some of our hand muddled specialty cocktails, local micro brews, or enjoy a bottle of wine from our extensive list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Up The Creek - Best Restaurants in Vail ›
Up The Creek reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)scenic view (14)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (8)special occasion (7)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Dinner for 6 adults ages 30-63.CharlesDined on 3/3/2013Dinner for 6 adults ages 30-63. All agreed it was the best dinner we enjoyed while in Vail. Food was superb. Wine selection reasonable. Very good and knowledgeable service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Charming dinner spot!CincinnatiPattyVIPDined on 3/2/2013Restaurant very flexible with special request items as I am a lacto ovu vegetarian that doesn't eat cheese containing rennet and animal enzymes... View of Gore Creek and the annual ice sculptures.Special Features:
- Can't Miss!BestRestrauntinVailVIPDined on 2/28/2013This is the best restaurant in Vail, a must for anyone looking for an incredible meal at reasonable prices. Must try the antelope, the buffalo and the short ribSpecial Features:
- Food was AMAZING! ScallopsHungerPainsDined on 2/27/2013Food was AMAZING! Scallops were unique, fresh, and well seasoned. BUT-I was so extremely full, I couldn't finish my meal. Don't get an appetizer! Clam chowder was good. Again, very unique. Muscles were amazing too. There must have been 2 dozen in the bowl!Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/26/2013Our first time here but definitely won't be our last. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- Great food & service, amazing placeCoSprings12Dined on 2/25/2013Great food, though we were not crazy about the calamari (great sauce but the shape was different and texture was interesting). Other than that, everything was amazing. We had a nice romantic dinner, great food, great service. The Bacon Gouda mac is in my top 5 ever, and I consider myself a mac & cheese connaisseur!Special Features:
- If you really want a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/24/2013If you really want a treat ask for the WILD GAME tasting menu. Its incredible.Special Features:
- Excellent food, anemic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/8/2013As always food was excellent. Service came up lacking, especially compared to the great service of previous years. We were seated, given menus, perused the menu, made our choices, and waited. It was well over 5 minutes before we saw our server. We ordered, our appetizer came out before our drinks which was a bit odd. I did not recognize any of the staff from previous years, so it looks like a new crew. Short rib with Gouda mac and cheese and asparagus was excellent as usual. Best in Vail. Portions are smaller this year, but that is probably good since I am watching my calories. 1/3 cup of mac and cheese with nice portion of asparagus and 6 oz short rib, although my dining partner thought it was only 4 oz.
- Great food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013Great food and great service. Our favorite restaurant in Vsil. Made a second reservation for the end of the week.Special Features:
- First time to Up The CreekPrimaPrincessVIPDined on 1/25/2013First time to Up The Creek with family from out of town. Three of us had the scallops - fantastic recommendation from the bartender! Fantastic bottle of French wine! Highly recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Vail.BestRestrauntinVailVIPDined on 1/4/2013Best restaurant in Vail. Casual and incredible dining experience. Cant go wrong with anything on the menu. Recommend the scallops, carpaccio and short ribs w/ gouda mac. Must visit in summer when the patio is open and the gore creek is your view.Special Features:
- Friendly service, great foodLizzieVIPDined on 12/31/2012Had an early dinner here on New Year's Eve with my 16 year old son. The atmosphere was very festive. There were various specials for the holiday. My son had fried calamari for an appetizer, I had Arugula salad, both were delicious. For main courses my son had braised short rib with a gourmet mac n' cheese and roasted asparagus. I had grilled salmon with wild rice and roasted brocolli. We really enjoyed them, but couldn't finish because both were a little rich, espcially the mac n' cheese that was made with gouda cheese. The staff was very friendly and the chef sent out tiny bowls of black-eyed peas in honor of the new year. I would definitely go back. It would be lovely in the summer since it overlooks the Gore River.Special Features:
- Coming from the NYC area,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/25/2012Coming from the NYC area, we have ample opportunity to eat at fabulous restaurants but year after year when we come to Vail, we always look forward to our dinners at Up the Creek. The service is uniquely warm, welcoming and attentive. The food is innovative and consistently excellent. We are also comforted by the the fact that our favorite dishes are always on the menu so we can balance our trials with the comfort of an old favorite. Since this is a ski town, during the holidays there are many large groups which the restaurant seems to accommodate with ease. Up the Creek is highly recommended by my whole family!Special Features:
- This was our Christmas dinner....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2012This was our Christmas dinner.... the meal was fair at best, the calamari was cut thick and rubbery, like right from the freezer ... the fish unremarkable. The short ribs were tender and tasted the best. The lamb chops were undercooked and tasteless. Unfortunately, I will not be recommending this restaurant to my peers.
- We love Up The Creek RestaurantKeithDined on 12/19/2012We love Up The Creek Restaurant in Vail. There are many fine restaurants to choose from in Vail but somehow we keep coming back. I guess that it is the combination of fine food well prepared and well served in an establishment long-owned locally. Of course, the charming, unique creek-side location is an added bonus.Special Features:
- Our waiter was great and knowledgabOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/15/2012Our waiter was great and knowledgable. Quiet, but not dead. EXCELLENT FOOD. Lamb was outstanding. Chef changed our dish to accommodate my husbands dietary needs. Excellent wine. One of our new favorites in Vail.Special Features:
- Prior to reserving throughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012Prior to reserving through Open Table, Up The Creek figured prominently in our web search of top restaurants in Vail. The high ratings found on the web and our own experience at UTC ultimately matched, and we were thoroughly pleased with this new to us restaurant. Food, smart-casual atmosphere, and especially our excellent server, all came together for a very good first experience.
- we enjoyed the restaurantpvdocDined on 9/21/2012we enjoyed the restaurant as a group while visiting vail. It was recommended to us and did not disappoint.Special Features:
- ALWAYS DEPENDABLE FOR AN EXCEPTIONAOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2012ALWAYS DEPENDABLE FOR AN EXCEPTIONAL DINING EXPERIENCE.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner. We sat outsideTJR73VIPDined on 8/16/2012Fantastic dinner. We sat outside along the river. The tortilla soup was great. The trout was outstanding. Cooked perfectly and great combination of flavors. I'll go back every time I am in Vail.Special Features:
- Pleasent Casual DinningMikefromDallasVIPDined on 8/5/2012Our group had several fish dishes and virtually all the salads. All of it was wonderful. The tortillia soup was exceptional. While sitting outside is possible, I'd suggest calling to request outside seating the day of the reservation. The environment is casual, though not shorts and t-shirt casual. Very pleasent staff. Portion sizes are reasonable.Special Features:
- Food was ok but overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2012Food was ok but overpriced. The view and ambiance are wonderful thoughSpecial Features:
- Beware!! the online menu isOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2012Beware!! the online menu is much broader than reality. While the food was good there were only 7 Entrees to select from for dinner. Very disappointed. Ended up with appetizers and soup as our meal.
- Beautiful Setting, Beautiful dinnerphil6184VIPDined on 7/20/2012By far the best meal I had while in Vail. We started with an outside table with a view of Gore Creek. It really is a great setting, with the view and the sound of the creek. Our server took our drinks order and told about specials and left to tend to matters. Meanwhile heavy rain came down, accompanied by high winds. Everyone made a mad dash to the inside of the restaurant. The staff quickly seated everyone. Our waitress quickly found us and delivered drinks. Really what could have been a meltdown was handled beautifully. I'm sure the staff was trained on that exercise and cudos to management. The meal itself was memorable. My fish dish was done to perfection. I cannot fault this restaurant at all.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2012We were told this was a very good restaurant, but it did not live up to its reputation. The most expensive item on the menu, halibut, was dry. My son had the red trout which looked much better. Our waiter appeared promptly to get our order, but from then on only when we sent the busboy to look for him. There are far better restaurants in Vail with more reasonable prices.
- Always a favorite! We broughtAndyrVIPDined on 7/13/2012Always a favorite! We brought our friends who are visiting from Michigan and they loved both the food and the viewSpecial Features:
- The trout was recommendedontimeDined on 7/10/2012The trout was recommended by a Vail local -- he did not steer us wrong -- it was fantastic! The outdoor patio is perfect on a summer evening. We will be back.Special Features:
- Have been here now severalOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/6/2012Have been here now several times and experience always good although during peak season (even summer now) prices much higher than shoulder season and policy of charging for small substitutions is ridiculous. Crab cake,New England clam chowde wonderful as are Diver scallops.We tend to opt for a couple of appetizers with above policies of plate share cost and substition cost and we do not usually like their sides for entrees.
- Lovely setting by the creek,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/16/2012Lovely setting by the creek, great service and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- BEST SETTING, EXCELLENT FOODCaptainVIPDined on 6/7/2012Another great meal - this was 5th visit in last 12 months. Creekside setting is unsurpassed in Vail. Food was excellent (ruby red trout, scallops, salad, soup). FAR SUPERION to its neighbor La Tour across the creek. Wait staff is professional, knowledgable, relaxed and engaging. Thursday dinner was so nice, we went back Saturday for salads and wine.Special Features:
- Great Vail bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/27/2012Absolutely great food, ambience and service with special pricing deals. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- The food was fantastic! TheirOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/10/2012The food was fantastic! Their mac and cheese side with the braised ribs was wonderful. I could have made a meal of the mac & cheese by itself. The star is very friendly and dining by the creek was refreshing. The cobbler desert was great to share between two people.Special Features:
- The food is creative, generousskibumdinerVIPDined on 4/12/2012The food is creative, generous and delicious. And it's tucked away in a perfect location, right next the creek. We had a wonderful dinner there.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2012The food was delicious. The buffalo filet was enjoyed to the last bit. The scallop appetizer is scrumptious. The decor is modern bistro, very attractive. It is not too noisy and is a beautiful setting along the creek. The gelato was superb.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/31/2012The food was outstanding, which was somewhat surprising - you don't expect food this good in a resort town, especially when the restaurant also has such an amazing view.Special Features:
- Superb Rocky Mountain TroutPHLlVIPDined on 3/30/2012We were looking for Rocky Mountain Trout in Vail that was not too overdone with ingredients and not too expensive. We found it at Up The Creek. Perfectly pan roasted trout on a bed of potatoes, spinach and crab fit the bill. We hit a night were all wines were 30% off. Great view of creek.Special Features:
- Food was excellent! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/30/2012Food was excellent! Service was even better. We have 4 year old twins and the staff was great with our boys.Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/27/2012Very nice atmosphere, comfortable and relaxed. We enjoyed some appetizers and drinks for dinner with our 2 kids. Service was welcoming.
- Up the Creek always servesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/18/2012Up the Creek always serves a great meal in a simple yet classy setting. The staff is attentive and engaging. Can't go wrong there.
- Wonderful food. The BuffaloOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/16/2012Wonderful food. The Buffalo was delicious and the calamari was some of the best we have ever had!Special Features: