up modern italian
5500 Walnut St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15232Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
up modern italian
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.upkitchen.com/
- Phone: 4126888220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch Buffet: Sunday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday 5:00 - 11:00
Saturday 4:00 - 11:00
Sunday 5:00 - 9:00
Bar open until 2am: Tuesday-Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Scott Moonan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from up modern italian
Contemporary Italian Cuisine. If you'd like to see our menu please visit our website: http://www.upkitchen.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
up modern italian reviews from OpenTable diners
- ReliableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Have eaten here about 4 times. Food is always very good and interesting, never dull. The chef seems to know what he is doing....
- Big upgradeSGreviewDined on 4/19/2014We had not been to Up Modern since the space was Walnut Grill and while the decor was similar (but a bit more trendy), the food was much better. Our group had the short rib gnocchi, the ciopinno, and the salmon, all of which were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did fineSuperfluityDined on 3/28/2014Good food, friendly, and very good service. Not especially memorable but not everything has to be special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencehungrymeDined on 3/24/2014First time diner at Up Modern Kitchen and very pleasantly surprised. Able to participate in happy hour as diner in the restaurant. Prix Fix menu at $18 before 6PM a gem. The Arugula salad was light and refreshing. The Braised Chicken Orzo with buternut squash was delicious. Only one bite of chicken had some gristle on it and would have prefered white meat. Bread crumb topping was perfect. The lemon cookies were a complete and welcome surprise for dessert. Overall, a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food and service was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014the food and service was excellent. I would definitely go back. My only suggestion would be to add chocolate to the dessert menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & ServicePishmanDined on 3/21/2014My wife and I went to up for dinner and had an excellent meal. The Mushroom & Toast appetizer was excellent. Very flavorful. I had the short rib gnocchi. It was excellent with a large portion of rib. A very unique combination. My wife had the special ravioli, which was brisket stuffed. Also very good. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quieter in the barDinerVIPDined on 3/17/2014Small restaurant with many groups leading to a loud baseline noise level the Monday night we were there. We were nicely moved to the bar area which was much quieter. Food, including two chicken dishes and two mushroom dishes were uniformly excellent. Service was excellent as well. Nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but ....MarkDined on 3/15/2014I think UP should consider an expanded menu, i.e. there are many veal and chicken dishes that are very appealing to patrons but not available at UP. With a talented chef as they have, if my suggestion is given consideration, this place could really rock . MarkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FINDSandySpringsFoodieVIPDined on 3/10/2014Stumbled across this nice restaurant while visiting Pitrsburgh. So happy we did! We checked them out on the Internet and saw that the owner/chef is a renowned award-winning chef. We agree with that assessment. It was a delight! We highly recommend this one!Special Features:
- Skip Papardelle BologneseClayfifthVIPDined on 3/1/2014Ordered this dish - their top pasta. It was not a bolognese sauce, it was one of their meatballs chopped up and put in a sauce. I know this because we had a meatball for an appetizer! Such a disappointment.
- Fantastic RestaurantDeniceVIPDined on 2/28/2014This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. We found the restaurant by using Open Table and Rewards Network. Sorry to see that this establishment is not part of the Rewards Network. We are hoping you reconsider and rejoin Rewards Network. This is how many people in this area decide on their restaurants. Great restaurant and hope to be back if you continue on Open Table and Rewards Network.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exellent service and very good foodLilaDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed our meal at Up Modern Italian very much. The spaghetti bolognese was just different enough from the classic to make it special. The caesar salad was delicious, but was served with a little too much dressing. The risotto with root vegetables was perfect!Special Features:
- Delightful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/22/2014This is my second time having brunch here and the pre-fix menu was absolutely wonderful! Great portion sizes and very kind wait staff! The hostess mentioned that we were the last table she could seat, so I was glad we made a reservation. Despite being busy, the service was top notch! Can't wait to go back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hidden gem!PittFoodieDined on 2/21/2014This was a wonderful place! Loved the food and service ! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Very delicious food - I had the scallops, they were wonderful. But a comfortable atmosphere. Friendly staff. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance and LightmooseboxDined on 2/14/2014Very comfortable and likable atmosphere with some of the nicest and helpful waitstaff around. Food was excellent, with a few vegetarian iterations of the dishes this place would be perfect for a casual stop in or a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014Homemade wedding soup was very good. Mushrooms and toast would have been good but for the overuse of raisins in the dish causing too much sweetness. Gnocchi with braised short ribs was overly salted and the meat was mushy. My wife's meal was not well executed - steak was dry but mashed potatoes were very good. Appetizer was ok but salad was my artsy than edible. Overall we were very disappointed in the food for the price.
- Very goodDinerDined on 2/14/2014The flavors were excellent, although some of the dishes were over salted to my tastes. Good value - even though it was Valentines Day they held by their standard Happy Hour prices on cocktails. I would go back again just for that fair approach to pricing and business but the quality of the meal absolutely warrants going back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service below parPiemanDined on 2/9/2014We had an enjoyable time last Sunday evening and the food was good. The Lobster ravioli though tasty, was a bit disappointing as our 25 year old son received only four ravioli for his meal. Otherwise the food was good. Our problem was with our waiter who completely forgot that we ordered an appetizer, and then he would "disappear" for lengthy amounts of time. Dispite what was below par service for a restaurant of this caliber we left him a 15 percent tip. On the way out the door our busboy said thanks for coming, another waiter who recommended a drink said thanks for coming, and our waiter who looked right at us...said nothing. There's a lot of good places to eat in Shadyside and I believe we will be trying some others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodie412Dined on 2/7/2014This is my second time dining at Up Modern Kitchen and both times were fabulous. I think the food was even better the second time. The drinks, apps, entrees, and desserts were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Serviceable with limited ambitionsRegentFoodieDined on 2/1/2014The plates came out well prepared, the Chicken had a nice sauce with it and the bolognese was chunky and satisfying.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up is Up-Scale but still casualBurghgrlDined on 1/19/2014Great service and the pasta special from restaurant week - outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/19/2014This was our first time at ^up and we were very impressed with the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff. I think we have a new favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchRachVIPDined on 1/19/2014Nice brunch with the family at UP. I liked the modern décor and the menu was great. One area to improve would be that the food was a bit heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014No atmosphere. Service was average at best. Food was average. Very over priced for the entire dining experience. I ordered a scotch neat and my wife a scotch on the rocks. Her drink was an extra $1.50. C'mon man, an extra $1.50 for ice!
- Decent food & wine/Screaming kidsjessmarieDined on 1/18/2014The food/menu was decent. For an appetizer we had the bread and olive oil. The flavor was good, though the bread was a bit charred past what I would call a nice toast. The boyfriend had a harder time deciding. But what he wanted turned out to be sold out (Gnocci) so he ended up with a risotto, which was more of a quite bland and boring pumpkin porridge. I had the bolognese pasta, which was very good. I would order it again. We decided to skip on desset, mainly because we were trying to have a nice dinner out, but there was a table of screaming children a few feet away that were driving me absolutely crazy. Overall we will try again later when kids are in bed.Special Features:
- InconsistentFoodie4LifeDined on 1/17/2014I keep trying to like Up; I've been a number of times. My friend is deathly allergic to nuts-she asked for the salad w/o nuts. They came with nuts- so she sent it back. Salad came back with nuts in a container on the side- some of which ad spilled onto the salad. We didn't send it back- just didn't eat it. Waitress couldn't have cared less. Food Week price was advertised as 30.14--but wine pairings were not included...nor made clear that it was an extra charge. Scallops were delicious, but all portions in each course were quite small. All in all, the wait staff and personnel management really fall short for the price. Very unfortunate.
- A pleasant surprise...willIzzyVIPDined on 1/17/2014A pleasant surprise...will be back after restaurant week!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute find on open table.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014We had some shopping to in Shadyside to do and reserved a table for two through open table. When we arrived there was a party going on in the bar during happy hour, so it look the waitress quite a while to get our drinks. We ordered an appetizer (arugula artichoke dip) it was very tasty but was definitely not hot enough. My husband was quite happy with the spaghetti and meatball that he ordered but the beet salad that I got was rather tasteless. There didn't seem to be enough dressing on it and the cheese was quite hard.Special Features:
- Great food, excellent service.JamieDined on 1/16/2014Great food, excellent service. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!TiffanyNDined on 1/16/2014Everything about our experience was outstanding. I would highly recommend the meatball appetizer, steak, and fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried ^up modern kitchen foryakalitaDined on 1/15/2014Tried ^up modern kitchen for restaurant week. I had the Arugula Salad, homemade ravioli, and chocolate cannoli. Everything was good, and at a great value for restaurant week. (3 courses/$30.14 with $5 wine pairings). I'd definitely recommend for a special dinner with a significant other or friends.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2014Enjoyed the quality of the food and service; nice ambiance. We all ordered from the restaurant week special menu and were disappointed to see the specials as we were leaving without the server having ever mentioned them. Ravioli undercooked, more than al dente. May be slightly overpriced for the quality. Would probably choose other Italian restaurants in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect girls nightpghgalDined on 12/27/2013I ate at Up Modern Italian with 3 girlfriends. The service and food were great! I hadn't seen my friends in a while and it was nice to have the time to catch up with them over a meal without feeling rushed out the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While the meals are prettyCRSMVIPDined on 12/20/2013While the meals are pretty consistent, they just don't meet the quality that the price suggests. Some entrees are too salty, others not very hot, some are small, and the wait staff can be slightly slow.
- Lovely Atmospheremerlotqueen519Dined on 12/13/2013Smelled like parmesan the minute we walked in! Candlelight, soft music, dim lighting. Very romantic. Friendly staff. Lovely atmosphere :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2013The food was pretty good, but the horrible service ruined our experience. We only saw our waiter 2-3 times during our entire meal. When we asked for more pita bread to finish the arugula and artichoke dip appetizer, they told us they'd have to charge us.
- Great place! Highly recommend.TerryBDined on 11/30/2013Great place! Highly recommend. Will return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Atmospheremerlotqueen519Dined on 11/30/2013Up has such a relaxing and down-to-earth atmosphere. The service was great, the food was delicious, and the ambience was homey. I went with a group of girlfriends I went to college with, and the restaurant was so patient and accommodating for us. Would definitely recommend for anyone from couples to large groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, mediocre dessertjfromshadysideDined on 11/29/2013The salads and pasta were great. The desserts were mediocre heading toward poor. The restaurant was not at all crowded (over T-day weekend so perhaps that is why). The server and manager were both attentive. It would have been a five star if not for the desserts (pies -- pumpkin and raspberry). If you go, I recommend moving across the street to Mercurios for gelato for dessert. The music was too loud as well given the small number of diners. It probably would have been ok if the place had been full but they should be able to adjust for how crowded the DR is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.