2917 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unumdc.com/
- Phone: 2026216959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm-10pm
Dinner Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip Blane
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
A word from Unum Restaurant
Welcome to Unum. A cozy, neighborhood restaurantContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Unum Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Unum Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (48)special occasion (40)notable wine list (18)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Local FavoriteAaronDined on 10/22/2014I've been to Unum more than any other DC restaurant. The food is fantastic - I usually like to combine appetizers with a half-portion of an entree and a side, followed by dessert. Literally, everything is good. The cocktails are also excellent, and the waitstaff is always professional. It's local, unique, unpretentious, and high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood findTetonDinerVIPDined on 10/21/2014The location has had serval venues over the past 20 years or so. We were pleasantly surprised last night when we dined at Unum, a real neighbor find. At first we were somewhat cautious as out 715P reservations allowed us to sit anywhere as we were the only ones in the establishment. By 8P it was full and quite energetic. The food was terrific and the wine list, while not extensive, was very well matched for the dishes. The service was attentive and left nothing to want. I would definitely recommend Unum for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- alakaDined on 10/13/2014Great discovery. Don't know how we missed noticing this restaurant during our frequent walks in Georgetown. Also very good that most dishes come in small or large sizes.Special Features:
- Georgetown gemSfdcVIPDined on 10/11/2014What a superb addition to Georgetown, a part of DC that doesn't get many of the new restaurants cropping up and has always lacked 'neighborhood gems'. Wonderful service, terrific food, attentive staff overall. We just loved it. We're thrilled to have discovered it and we will return often!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014The food was outstanding, and the option of buying half-orders made it easy to try more (very good) things!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Everything about out dinner was outstanding! I l loved the lamb with the cauliflower mash. My mate got the organic chicken and it was superb as well. Next time I'm in DC I will be at UnumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyTeam4VIPDined on 10/5/2014No visit to Unum has been a disappointment. Nice cocktail menu. Good wine by the glass. High quality food and a great ambiance whether at table or bar. Our go-to place when in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarryBookmanDined on 9/29/2014Everything was quite good with the exception of no ice bucket for the wine and the martini up was left in the ice too long and was watered down.Special Features:
- Excellent, in-season menuRDO90Dined on 9/29/2014"We keep the menu small to make sure everything is a favorite." This is how the chef explained the menu to me, and it rang true. They use in-season foods to keep the dishes fresh and the highest quality. The halibut with oysters was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outBienerDined on 9/27/2014Nice restaurant with diverse choice of food, great service, and nice drinks. Only downside to us was the extremely loud acoustics. But overall a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicekrezzDined on 9/27/2014Took my girlfriend out to Unum to celebrate our anniversary. Received amazing service, the ambiance was perfect, and the food was delicious. Not a huge menu, but still had a tough time deciding between many great looking dishes. Would definitely recommend for any occasions or just looking for a nice night out.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedDeeLCDined on 9/18/2014We had a table on the side, very dark and tables too close together. Felt like we were all sitting together. If we ever go again, would request a table by the window. Food was good, not great.
- Great experience, once againDTW19355Dined on 9/13/2014Second time at Unum. Food is outstanding, the menu is creative (I had boneless shortrib pasta) and the staff is very well trained. From what I could tell, all guests were having a wonderful time. Congrats to Phillip Blaine & Laura Schiller!Special Features:
- Even better than I rememberedMad4FoodVIPDined on 9/4/2014It had been some time since we'd eaten at this Georgetown gem. Glad I suggested it to friends when we decided to spend a quiet mid-week dinner together. The food was even better than I remembered and the service was friendly and timely, not too fast for a leisurely dinner, with food arriving at comfortable intervals. My eggplant appetizer had just the right amount of bite and my branzino main course was delicious! I also love that you can order half portion sizes since I usually find portion sizes too big and end up leaving half the food on my plate. I will not wait another 10 months before returning to this lovely restaurant. Also saw a local celeb dining with a friend---fun people-watching!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2014I had been to Unum a while back, and had such a great time and remembered the food being so delicious that I decided to take a friend from out of town there. Unfortunately our main dish, the short rib pasta had no salt and no taste whatsoever. It was truly disappointing. Our appetizer and dessert were all right, but nothing extraordinary.
- Very loudFoodlover11Dined on 8/29/2014The food was awesome, the service level very good, attentive, professional. But the noise level at the restaurant took too much away from the experience. It literally will impact the frequency or lack thereof of my coming there. Too small and noisy for the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we wantedCroadieDined on 8/23/2014Not too fussy, smart friendly service, excellent food-without being over the top. Enjoyed everything, good wine, had five plates between two of us and loved every one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pairingsceeatsDined on 8/23/2014We tried the mortadella meatballs, the heirloom tomato salad, the creamed spinach with horseradish, the burger, the gazpacho, and the short ribs. Adding watermelon to the gazpacho was an incredible, but seamless, flavor enhancer. The meatballs, with the fig jam were a really nice mix of flavors. The burger and the short ribs were excellent. The heirloom tomato salad was a slight miss. The fried cheese balls on that salad were tough, without much flavor. With the exception of the fried cheese balls, all of the dishes were subtly complex and truly enjoyable. Service was prompt and helpful without being overly so. The atmosphere is wonderful.Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisedirisDined on 8/23/2014Was pleasantly surprised with Unum – great food, perfect service and a cozy atmosphere to have a late night dinner. The selection on a menu is rather small but everything we’ve ordered was perfectly cooked and artistically presented. Not many choices for those who don’t eat pork or prefers a vegetarian option. The portions are on a smaller side but perfect for the late meal. The desserts are to die for – orange mousse cheesecake, passion fruit panna cotta were so good that it was hard to share! Highly recommend to try this place at least once – you won’t be disappointed!Special Features:
- Very Nice!!PeetyDined on 8/20/2014Had early reservations and we're seated quickly. Good service & good food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!BarbaraVIPDined on 8/18/2014A gorgeous little jewel of a restaurant in the heart of Georgetown, with food that's fresh and inventive but not weird and scary. Loved the fried cheese with tomatoes and basil ice cream, the lobster duo and the soft shell crab. Really appreciate that you can get a half order of any entree item. Our reservations were for 7 on a Monday night and by 8 the restaurant was lively and full. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. This is one for the short list!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinnerunseen18VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had the best dinner in this gem of a restaurant. The food is outstanding, interesting and innovative. The service was friendly and helpful. It's hard to find good food, in a relaxed atmosphere in DC. This place has it. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful choicemartydlDined on 8/16/2014We chose this restaurant for it's good reviews and closeness to our hotel. It was restaurant week and we were amazed at the great selections on the menu. All were definitely gourmet and delicious. Being able to choose 2 small plates for the main course was a great idea.Special Features:
- Service off this nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Normally, service is on point - but was off on Friday. Server brought our bill twice before the meal was over and had to be reminded where we were in the meal. Server also forgot a side dish. We weren't charged for it, so that was nice. Still, not the usual top notch service I expected from Unum.Special Features:
- good but lacked serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014great food and servings were plentiful. service was lacking, but it might have been b/c it was friday night.
- Still awesomeLinaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I always love coming to unum. And this time was no exception. Even though it was restaurant week, the food was still up to their usual standard. And the selections were pretty much the whole menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week visitTortugaDined on 8/13/20143 of us went for dinner. All 1st-timers. We ordered from the very interesting and generous Restaurant Week menu. Exceeded our collective expectations: superb and fresh food ingredients, creative dishes expertly prepared and paired, excellent fun cocktail offering, understated dining room (unchanged from its past life as Mendocino Grill), excellent and intelligent wait-staff. We will be back! Thank you Unum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply divine...DCGuyDined on 8/12/2014I dined at Unum during restaurant week and I was not disappointed. All of the food was a knockout, from appetizers to dessert. I was really impressed with the cooking and can't wait for the opportunity to dine here again and try more of the menu. The roast chicken was absolute perfection, check it out if you get a chance, you won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Very small, but ambience was very nice. The staff was excellent and the food was fantastic. My husband and I went during Restaurant Week. We were able to try a total of 6 small plates. Out of the 6, there was only one that we didn't enjoy. Quality and presentation was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSublimeyaziDined on 8/11/2014Soft shell crab, yes please! Couldn't have asked for a better meal. The DC restaraunt week menu was perfect and everyone there was friendly and accommodating. I especially loved the chorizo stuffed squid, it was like a deconstructed paella. Next time I'm in town I will definitely be back...I hope that cute bar tender is still there too, she makes a mean cocktail. If you like bourbon, try the Georgetown love story.Special Features:
- Worth the visitFranVIPDined on 8/9/2014We tried the stuffed squid with chorizo, soft shell crab, grilled branzini, crabcakes, beet salad and braesola. All were expertly prepared. Love the option of portion sizes--small or large. Small portions are more than adequate if you don't have a huge appetite. Place can get loud, though.Special Features:
- David of RestaurantsWahooVIPDined on 8/6/2014This little gem can take on the best in town and come out a winner. Kudos to Chef BlaineSpecial Features:
- Great, creative foodiguana265Dined on 8/1/2014My husband had a deconstructed Caesar salad that was yummy. I had mortadella meatballs with a fig jam over jalapeño polenta. It was spectac although I have to say that I couldn't detect the jalapeño. I love that they offer half size plates so you don't have to stuff yourself. I also had sugar snap peas. They were nice but they didn't destring them. I'm an amateur mom chef and even I know to destring my sugar snap peas. It was hard to eat them with the strings. My husband's short rib tagliatelle was "ok". But overall I really loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceDTW19355Dined on 7/31/2014The food and service was extraordinary. Annie is very competent and pleasant. I believe that was the best dining experience I have had in DC. Plan to have the next celebratory dinner at Unum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best soft shells everPCatVIPDined on 7/27/2014The soft shell crabs at Unum were amazing. I would like to go back every day to have them. I think they are the best soft shells that I have ever had. I was not as happy with the drinks. The cocktails were warm and not tasty. i will stick to wine next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Spot in GeorgetownOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014This was great because it felt very far removed from the mob scene that is Georgetown on a Saturday night. Food and service were great and the menu had a nice assortment of choices. Especially loved the half or full portion option for the entrees.Special Features:
- good food, bad cocktails, noisyJaneDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed our meal. Food selection was very nice and the option for 'half-plate' a bonus. Service was excellent. Cocktails read very well in the menu but tasted terrible. The acoustic is less than desirable... difficult to carry a conversation.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2014After many positive experiences, one food item was this time very disappointing. The medium-rare burger came more than well-done and was not edible.Special Features:
- Yum UnumFinickyDined on 7/19/2014I read about Unum on yelp and decided to give it a try with a few friends. We were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food delicious and nicely prepared. A couple of the ladies had the pork loin and exclaimed that it was cooked to perfection - not dry or rubbery, but flavorful and moist. Crab cakes were also a success - no filling but all crab meat. Brussel sprouts were also very good and I would definitely recommend the braised short rib pasta. Wine choices would make any wine connoisseur happy. All in all a great experience!Special Features:
- DC2222Dined on 7/19/2014You must go to this little gem on M Street in Georgetown. The food was excellent _ eggplant roulade, hangar steak, crab cakes, goat cheese raviolini with fresh vegetable. All presented in a fresh, fun way. Service was solid. Cocktails inventive and good. The restaurant is small so the four, boisterous students were very loud, but it was all good as soon as they left.Special Features: