2917 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unumdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 621-6959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm-10pm
Dinner Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip Blane
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
A word from Unum Restaurant
Welcome to Unum. A cozy, neighborhood restaurantContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Unum Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Georgetown ›
Unum Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)neighborhood gem (64)romantic (50)special occasion (43)notable wine list (19)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)good for groups (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very nice, cozy placeNotagourmetDined on 11/16/2014I was a little disappointed that they were out of the two appetizers I wanted (chorizo stuffed squid and quail), so o went for the boring lobster bisque. Wow, it was everything but boring! That had to be the best lobster bisque I've ever eaten. All entrees were delicious, although the Bronzino was nothing to write home about. Service was excellent! Nice (but short) wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alumni Dinner MeetingBor3dathom3Dined on 11/11/2014Selected this location to meet with an alumna donor. We arrived at 5:15 for our 5:30 p.m. reservation, and the doors don't literally open until 5:30. It was a little awkward having to wait outside for fifteen minutes, but we did...it was fine since the weather was ok. We selected the table closest to the street in front of the open doors. Once inside, the experience was JUST lovely. Great service. Attention to detail. Creative food. Reasonable prices (for Georgetown) with a high-end feel. I'll certainly be back to this location.Special Features:
- enjoyable eveningJenBethesdaVIPDined on 11/11/2014An old friend and I picked Unum as a last minute choice for dinner and were pleasantly surprised. The menu contained some standards, some innovative dishes, and a small but enjoyable wine list. The mortadella meatballs with fig jam and beef shortribs with noodles were highlights, and it is always nice to have some control over the portion sizes. Our seating was in the front window area open to the street on a very balmy evening, which was a bit noisy at times yet still enjoyable. Service was attentive but not intrusive, and we were allowed to linger over our meal without feeling any pressure to vacate the table. We will be dining here again.Special Features:
- Fourth Time and Still Loving ItsiempretengohambreDined on 11/4/2014Went here with a date and had the Wild Boar Salami and Beet Salad to start. The salami came with cornichons, mustard, sweet caramelized onions, and bread. The caramelized onions were wonderful, but I wish the salami had been cut a bit more thickly. The beet salad was vibrant and earthy at the same time, and the goat cheese was mild and creamy. I had a Spanish wine which was okay. Then, on to the main course, with the pan-roasted halibut, which came in a wine-cream sauce with leeks, with a base of whipped potatoes and mussels, raw and fried oysters. My date got the sesame crusted scallops with wasabi risotto, which is always great. The scallops were just a tad overcooked, but practically perfect. The ricotta begneit with blueberry compote :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014I have never been disappointed at Unum. The food is always delicious, ambiance great, and is just an overall great time. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- DC FaveSweetSoulaDined on 10/25/2014I am new to the DC area and Unum was recommended to me by a friend. I have nothing but positive things to say. The service was fabulous, staff was attentive and friendly and they were kind enough to accommodate my request to push back my reservation. The cocktails were delicious, and the food was excellent - well plated and expertly prepared. I am from Northern California and I have been largely unimpressed with the wine selection at most restaurants in DC but I thought Unum's was well curated and had some great inclusions. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great find...KphjrVIPDined on 10/24/2014Thanks for the reviews... We got a last-minute reservation and were not disappointed. The portions here seem healthier and better sized than some restaurants in the immediate area and the chef, Phil, seems to have a lot of fun with the menu. This is not a formal high-end place, but extremely comfortable and service is great. Wines selection needs to improve a bit, but all in very good and we will definitely come back when in Washington. If we lived here we would frequent often. Lobster duo, short rib pasta, halibut.... All delicious! K.Special Features:
- Local FavoriteAaronVIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been to Unum more than any other DC restaurant. The food is fantastic - I usually like to combine appetizers with a half-portion of an entree and a side, followed by dessert. Literally, everything is good. The cocktails are also excellent, and the waitstaff is always professional. It's local, unique, unpretentious, and high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood findTetonDinerVIPDined on 10/21/2014The location has had serval venues over the past 20 years or so. We were pleasantly surprised last night when we dined at Unum, a real neighbor find. At first we were somewhat cautious as out 715P reservations allowed us to sit anywhere as we were the only ones in the establishment. By 8P it was full and quite energetic. The food was terrific and the wine list, while not extensive, was very well matched for the dishes. The service was attentive and left nothing to want. I would definitely recommend Unum for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- alakaDined on 10/13/2014Great discovery. Don't know how we missed noticing this restaurant during our frequent walks in Georgetown. Also very good that most dishes come in small or large sizes.Special Features:
- Georgetown gemSfdcVIPDined on 10/11/2014What a superb addition to Georgetown, a part of DC that doesn't get many of the new restaurants cropping up and has always lacked 'neighborhood gems'. Wonderful service, terrific food, attentive staff overall. We just loved it. We're thrilled to have discovered it and we will return often!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014The food was outstanding, and the option of buying half-orders made it easy to try more (very good) things!Special Features:
- Always amazingLoveToEatDCVIPDined on 10/6/2014My little neighborhood gem. Great food. Amazing wine list. Attentive service. What's not to love?Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Everything about out dinner was outstanding! I l loved the lamb with the cauliflower mash. My mate got the organic chicken and it was superb as well. Next time I'm in DC I will be at UnumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyTeam4VIPDined on 10/5/2014No visit to Unum has been a disappointment. Nice cocktail menu. Good wine by the glass. High quality food and a great ambiance whether at table or bar. Our go-to place when in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarryBookmanDined on 9/29/2014Everything was quite good with the exception of no ice bucket for the wine and the martini up was left in the ice too long and was watered down.Special Features:
- Excellent, in-season menuRDO90Dined on 9/29/2014"We keep the menu small to make sure everything is a favorite." This is how the chef explained the menu to me, and it rang true. They use in-season foods to keep the dishes fresh and the highest quality. The halibut with oysters was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outBienerDined on 9/27/2014Nice restaurant with diverse choice of food, great service, and nice drinks. Only downside to us was the extremely loud acoustics. But overall a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicekrezzDined on 9/27/2014Took my girlfriend out to Unum to celebrate our anniversary. Received amazing service, the ambiance was perfect, and the food was delicious. Not a huge menu, but still had a tough time deciding between many great looking dishes. Would definitely recommend for any occasions or just looking for a nice night out.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedDeeLCDined on 9/18/2014We had a table on the side, very dark and tables too close together. Felt like we were all sitting together. If we ever go again, would request a table by the window. Food was good, not great.
- Great experience, once againDTW19355Dined on 9/13/2014Second time at Unum. Food is outstanding, the menu is creative (I had boneless shortrib pasta) and the staff is very well trained. From what I could tell, all guests were having a wonderful time. Congrats to Phillip Blaine & Laura Schiller!Special Features:
- Even better than I rememberedMad4FoodVIPDined on 9/4/2014It had been some time since we'd eaten at this Georgetown gem. Glad I suggested it to friends when we decided to spend a quiet mid-week dinner together. The food was even better than I remembered and the service was friendly and timely, not too fast for a leisurely dinner, with food arriving at comfortable intervals. My eggplant appetizer had just the right amount of bite and my branzino main course was delicious! I also love that you can order half portion sizes since I usually find portion sizes too big and end up leaving half the food on my plate. I will not wait another 10 months before returning to this lovely restaurant. Also saw a local celeb dining with a friend---fun people-watching!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/2/2014I had been to Unum a while back, and had such a great time and remembered the food being so delicious that I decided to take a friend from out of town there. Unfortunately our main dish, the short rib pasta had no salt and no taste whatsoever. It was truly disappointing. Our appetizer and dessert were all right, but nothing extraordinary.
- Very loudFoodlover11Dined on 8/29/2014The food was awesome, the service level very good, attentive, professional. But the noise level at the restaurant took too much away from the experience. It literally will impact the frequency or lack thereof of my coming there. Too small and noisy for the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we wantedCroadieDined on 8/23/2014Not too fussy, smart friendly service, excellent food-without being over the top. Enjoyed everything, good wine, had five plates between two of us and loved every one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pairingsceeatsDined on 8/23/2014We tried the mortadella meatballs, the heirloom tomato salad, the creamed spinach with horseradish, the burger, the gazpacho, and the short ribs. Adding watermelon to the gazpacho was an incredible, but seamless, flavor enhancer. The meatballs, with the fig jam were a really nice mix of flavors. The burger and the short ribs were excellent. The heirloom tomato salad was a slight miss. The fried cheese balls on that salad were tough, without much flavor. With the exception of the fried cheese balls, all of the dishes were subtly complex and truly enjoyable. Service was prompt and helpful without being overly so. The atmosphere is wonderful.Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisedirisDined on 8/23/2014Was pleasantly surprised with Unum – great food, perfect service and a cozy atmosphere to have a late night dinner. The selection on a menu is rather small but everything we’ve ordered was perfectly cooked and artistically presented. Not many choices for those who don’t eat pork or prefers a vegetarian option. The portions are on a smaller side but perfect for the late meal. The desserts are to die for – orange mousse cheesecake, passion fruit panna cotta were so good that it was hard to share! Highly recommend to try this place at least once – you won’t be disappointed!Special Features:
- Very Nice!!PeetyDined on 8/20/2014Had early reservations and we're seated quickly. Good service & good food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!BarbaraVIPDined on 8/18/2014A gorgeous little jewel of a restaurant in the heart of Georgetown, with food that's fresh and inventive but not weird and scary. Loved the fried cheese with tomatoes and basil ice cream, the lobster duo and the soft shell crab. Really appreciate that you can get a half order of any entree item. Our reservations were for 7 on a Monday night and by 8 the restaurant was lively and full. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. This is one for the short list!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinnerunseen18VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had the best dinner in this gem of a restaurant. The food is outstanding, interesting and innovative. The service was friendly and helpful. It's hard to find good food, in a relaxed atmosphere in DC. This place has it. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful choicemartydlDined on 8/16/2014We chose this restaurant for it's good reviews and closeness to our hotel. It was restaurant week and we were amazed at the great selections on the menu. All were definitely gourmet and delicious. Being able to choose 2 small plates for the main course was a great idea.Special Features:
- Service off this nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Normally, service is on point - but was off on Friday. Server brought our bill twice before the meal was over and had to be reminded where we were in the meal. Server also forgot a side dish. We weren't charged for it, so that was nice. Still, not the usual top notch service I expected from Unum.Special Features:
- good but lacked serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014great food and servings were plentiful. service was lacking, but it might have been b/c it was friday night.
- Still awesomeLinaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I always love coming to unum. And this time was no exception. Even though it was restaurant week, the food was still up to their usual standard. And the selections were pretty much the whole menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week visitTortugaDined on 8/13/20143 of us went for dinner. All 1st-timers. We ordered from the very interesting and generous Restaurant Week menu. Exceeded our collective expectations: superb and fresh food ingredients, creative dishes expertly prepared and paired, excellent fun cocktail offering, understated dining room (unchanged from its past life as Mendocino Grill), excellent and intelligent wait-staff. We will be back! Thank you Unum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply divine...DCGuyDined on 8/12/2014I dined at Unum during restaurant week and I was not disappointed. All of the food was a knockout, from appetizers to dessert. I was really impressed with the cooking and can't wait for the opportunity to dine here again and try more of the menu. The roast chicken was absolute perfection, check it out if you get a chance, you won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Very small, but ambience was very nice. The staff was excellent and the food was fantastic. My husband and I went during Restaurant Week. We were able to try a total of 6 small plates. Out of the 6, there was only one that we didn't enjoy. Quality and presentation was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSublimeyaziDined on 8/11/2014Soft shell crab, yes please! Couldn't have asked for a better meal. The DC restaraunt week menu was perfect and everyone there was friendly and accommodating. I especially loved the chorizo stuffed squid, it was like a deconstructed paella. Next time I'm in town I will definitely be back...I hope that cute bar tender is still there too, she makes a mean cocktail. If you like bourbon, try the Georgetown love story.Special Features:
- Worth the visitFranVIPDined on 8/9/2014We tried the stuffed squid with chorizo, soft shell crab, grilled branzini, crabcakes, beet salad and braesola. All were expertly prepared. Love the option of portion sizes--small or large. Small portions are more than adequate if you don't have a huge appetite. Place can get loud, though.Special Features:
- David of RestaurantsWahooVIPDined on 8/6/2014This little gem can take on the best in town and come out a winner. Kudos to Chef BlaineSpecial Features: