2917 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unumdc.com/
- Phone: 2026216959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm-10pm
Dinner Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Phillip Blane
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
A word from Unum Restaurant
Welcome to Unum. A cozy, neighborhood restaurantContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Unum Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (59)romantic (46)special occasion (35)notable wine list (15)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- BarryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014Everything was quite good with the exception of no ice bucket for the wine and the martini up was left in the ice too long and was watered down.Special Features:
- Great night outBienerDined on 9/27/2014Nice restaurant with diverse choice of food, great service, and nice drinks. Only downside to us was the extremely loud acoustics. But overall a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great servicekrezzDined on 9/27/2014Took my girlfriend out to Unum to celebrate our anniversary. Received amazing service, the ambiance was perfect, and the food was delicious. Not a huge menu, but still had a tough time deciding between many great looking dishes. Would definitely recommend for any occasions or just looking for a nice night out.Special Features:
- Great experience, once againDTW19355Dined on 9/13/2014Second time at Unum. Food is outstanding, the menu is creative (I had boneless shortrib pasta) and the staff is very well trained. From what I could tell, all guests were having a wonderful time. Congrats to Phillip Blaine & Laura Schiller!Special Features:
- Even better than I rememberedMad4FoodVIPDined on 9/4/2014It had been some time since we'd eaten at this Georgetown gem. Glad I suggested it to friends when we decided to spend a quiet mid-week dinner together. The food was even better than I remembered and the service was friendly and timely, not too fast for a leisurely dinner, with food arriving at comfortable intervals. My eggplant appetizer had just the right amount of bite and my branzino main course was delicious! I also love that you can order half portion sizes since I usually find portion sizes too big and end up leaving half the food on my plate. I will not wait another 10 months before returning to this lovely restaurant. Also saw a local celeb dining with a friend---fun people-watching!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2014I had been to Unum a while back, and had such a great time and remembered the food being so delicious that I decided to take a friend from out of town there. Unfortunately our main dish, the short rib pasta had no salt and no taste whatsoever. It was truly disappointing. Our appetizer and dessert were all right, but nothing extraordinary.
- Very loudFoodlover11Dined on 8/29/2014The food was awesome, the service level very good, attentive, professional. But the noise level at the restaurant took too much away from the experience. It literally will impact the frequency or lack thereof of my coming there. Too small and noisy for the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we wantedCroadieDined on 8/23/2014Not too fussy, smart friendly service, excellent food-without being over the top. Enjoyed everything, good wine, had five plates between two of us and loved every one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pairingsceeatsDined on 8/23/2014We tried the mortadella meatballs, the heirloom tomato salad, the creamed spinach with horseradish, the burger, the gazpacho, and the short ribs. Adding watermelon to the gazpacho was an incredible, but seamless, flavor enhancer. The meatballs, with the fig jam were a really nice mix of flavors. The burger and the short ribs were excellent. The heirloom tomato salad was a slight miss. The fried cheese balls on that salad were tough, without much flavor. With the exception of the fried cheese balls, all of the dishes were subtly complex and truly enjoyable. Service was prompt and helpful without being overly so. The atmosphere is wonderful.Special Features:
- pleasantly surprisedirisDined on 8/23/2014Was pleasantly surprised with Unum – great food, perfect service and a cozy atmosphere to have a late night dinner. The selection on a menu is rather small but everything we’ve ordered was perfectly cooked and artistically presented. Not many choices for those who don’t eat pork or prefers a vegetarian option. The portions are on a smaller side but perfect for the late meal. The desserts are to die for – orange mousse cheesecake, passion fruit panna cotta were so good that it was hard to share! Highly recommend to try this place at least once – you won’t be disappointed!Special Features:
- Very Nice!!PeetyDined on 8/20/2014Had early reservations and we're seated quickly. Good service & good food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!BarbaraVIPDined on 8/18/2014A gorgeous little jewel of a restaurant in the heart of Georgetown, with food that's fresh and inventive but not weird and scary. Loved the fried cheese with tomatoes and basil ice cream, the lobster duo and the soft shell crab. Really appreciate that you can get a half order of any entree item. Our reservations were for 7 on a Monday night and by 8 the restaurant was lively and full. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. This is one for the short list!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinnerunseen18VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had the best dinner in this gem of a restaurant. The food is outstanding, interesting and innovative. The service was friendly and helpful. It's hard to find good food, in a relaxed atmosphere in DC. This place has it. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful choicemartydlDined on 8/16/2014We chose this restaurant for it's good reviews and closeness to our hotel. It was restaurant week and we were amazed at the great selections on the menu. All were definitely gourmet and delicious. Being able to choose 2 small plates for the main course was a great idea.Special Features:
- Service off this nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Normally, service is on point - but was off on Friday. Server brought our bill twice before the meal was over and had to be reminded where we were in the meal. Server also forgot a side dish. We weren't charged for it, so that was nice. Still, not the usual top notch service I expected from Unum.Special Features:
- good but lacked serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/15/2014great food and servings were plentiful. service was lacking, but it might have been b/c it was friday night.
- Still awesomeLinaVIPDined on 8/13/2014I always love coming to unum. And this time was no exception. Even though it was restaurant week, the food was still up to their usual standard. And the selections were pretty much the whole menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week visitTortugaDined on 8/13/20143 of us went for dinner. All 1st-timers. We ordered from the very interesting and generous Restaurant Week menu. Exceeded our collective expectations: superb and fresh food ingredients, creative dishes expertly prepared and paired, excellent fun cocktail offering, understated dining room (unchanged from its past life as Mendocino Grill), excellent and intelligent wait-staff. We will be back! Thank you Unum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply divine...DCGuyDined on 8/12/2014I dined at Unum during restaurant week and I was not disappointed. All of the food was a knockout, from appetizers to dessert. I was really impressed with the cooking and can't wait for the opportunity to dine here again and try more of the menu. The roast chicken was absolute perfection, check it out if you get a chance, you won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Very small, but ambience was very nice. The staff was excellent and the food was fantastic. My husband and I went during Restaurant Week. We were able to try a total of 6 small plates. Out of the 6, there was only one that we didn't enjoy. Quality and presentation was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSublimeyaziDined on 8/11/2014Soft shell crab, yes please! Couldn't have asked for a better meal. The DC restaraunt week menu was perfect and everyone there was friendly and accommodating. I especially loved the chorizo stuffed squid, it was like a deconstructed paella. Next time I'm in town I will definitely be back...I hope that cute bar tender is still there too, she makes a mean cocktail. If you like bourbon, try the Georgetown love story.Special Features:
- Worth the visitFranVIPDined on 8/9/2014We tried the stuffed squid with chorizo, soft shell crab, grilled branzini, crabcakes, beet salad and braesola. All were expertly prepared. Love the option of portion sizes--small or large. Small portions are more than adequate if you don't have a huge appetite. Place can get loud, though.Special Features:
- David of RestaurantsWahooVIPDined on 8/6/2014This little gem can take on the best in town and come out a winner. Kudos to Chef BlaineSpecial Features:
- Great, creative foodiguana265Dined on 8/1/2014My husband had a deconstructed Caesar salad that was yummy. I had mortadella meatballs with a fig jam over jalapeño polenta. It was spectac although I have to say that I couldn't detect the jalapeño. I love that they offer half size plates so you don't have to stuff yourself. I also had sugar snap peas. They were nice but they didn't destring them. I'm an amateur mom chef and even I know to destring my sugar snap peas. It was hard to eat them with the strings. My husband's short rib tagliatelle was "ok". But overall I really loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceDTW19355Dined on 7/31/2014The food and service was extraordinary. Annie is very competent and pleasant. I believe that was the best dining experience I have had in DC. Plan to have the next celebratory dinner at Unum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best soft shells everPCatVIPDined on 7/27/2014The soft shell crabs at Unum were amazing. I would like to go back every day to have them. I think they are the best soft shells that I have ever had. I was not as happy with the drinks. The cocktails were warm and not tasty. i will stick to wine next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Spot in GeorgetownOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014This was great because it felt very far removed from the mob scene that is Georgetown on a Saturday night. Food and service were great and the menu had a nice assortment of choices. Especially loved the half or full portion option for the entrees.Special Features:
- good food, bad cocktails, noisyJaneDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed our meal. Food selection was very nice and the option for 'half-plate' a bonus. Service was excellent. Cocktails read very well in the menu but tasted terrible. The acoustic is less than desirable... difficult to carry a conversation.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2014After many positive experiences, one food item was this time very disappointing. The medium-rare burger came more than well-done and was not edible.Special Features:
- Yum UnumFinickyDined on 7/19/2014I read about Unum on yelp and decided to give it a try with a few friends. We were not disappointed. The service was excellent and the food delicious and nicely prepared. A couple of the ladies had the pork loin and exclaimed that it was cooked to perfection - not dry or rubbery, but flavorful and moist. Crab cakes were also a success - no filling but all crab meat. Brussel sprouts were also very good and I would definitely recommend the braised short rib pasta. Wine choices would make any wine connoisseur happy. All in all a great experience!Special Features:
- DC2222Dined on 7/19/2014You must go to this little gem on M Street in Georgetown. The food was excellent _ eggplant roulade, hangar steak, crab cakes, goat cheese raviolini with fresh vegetable. All presented in a fresh, fun way. Service was solid. Cocktails inventive and good. The restaurant is small so the four, boisterous students were very loud, but it was all good as soon as they left.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/10/2014Overall good. I enjoyed the crab cake. Be careful of the saladsSpecial Features:
- A very poor dinner experienceSpeachlessDined on 7/9/2014Had dinner twice before at Unum with a friend, usually at 5:30 pm and we always had a good experience. Last Wednesday, I invited my daughter in-law there for dinner who was visiting from out of town and we both were looking forward to spending some quality time together. The reservation was for 7:45 pm. The restaurant at that time seemed like a different place from what I had experienced the previous two times. The noise level was unbearable, we couldn't carry on a decent conversation. The gazpacho we ordered was bland, the fish and pasta so so, the only good part was the desert. The server we had loudly and carelessly put plates and cutlery on the table and didn't seem to care what he was doing. A very disappointing experience.
- Do Go.VAEaterVIPDined on 7/2/2014Second time to Unum. Great food both times. Quite little spot on far end of Georgetown away from the tourists and congestion of Wisconsin Ave. Great menu selections for all tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly Executed MealWannaBfoodieDined on 6/28/2014Every aspect of our trip to Unum for dinner was satisfying. The atmosphere was intimate, with the noise level quiet enough to speak at a normal decibel, but loud enough to sustain a private conversation. Food and drink to highlight: the Barlett pear martini was the smoothest cocktail I have ever had. The lobster dou was a lovely pair sweet/ savory verses acidic flavors- each ingredient tasted good on its own, and combined. I had one bite from each of my husbands half entrees- the braised short rib pasta was extremely tender and elevated with the red wine jus and his pork loin was cooked perfectly with the cherry bourbon sauce stealing the show as it basted the meat as well as the creamy kale. Reasonable pricing for amazing quality, a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply wonderfulTallTalesVIPDined on 6/23/2014Inventive menu and the option to have many main courses served in half portions which allows you to either taste several tempting possibilities or eat rationally. The noise level in the small space can get pretty high when more than half the tables are occupied - which they often are given that people have discovered this amazing Georgetown gem.Special Features:
- One of Best in GeorgetownVisitor2PhilaVIPDined on 6/19/2014There are only a handful of serious, stand-alone restaurants in Georgetown. This is one of them. Excellent food, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lionDined on 6/19/2014The server was not very nice, rather condescending, the food was quite good, bathroom needed to be cleaned.
- wanted to like itsaddinerDined on 6/19/2014Menu seemed promising, especially liked the option of half-portion v. full portion for entree, felt reassured by the positive online reviews. Result was very disappointing. Kale was not cleaned properly and so much sand to the point of being inedible. Something must have been going on in the fryer in the kitchen that day because all the fried food came out soggy and greasy -- the fries, the soft shell crab. The quail was ever so slightly overcooked. The noodles in the short rib pasta were over cooked. Overall if you are looking for a trendy dig for drinks with friends, this might be it. But don't go there for the food. Serious execution problems.
- Ok foodSwedesDined on 6/17/2014Interesting combination of flavours, good service. But maybe the chef became a bit overenthustiastic and forgot the basics, he served me pork rare(!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.