3130 Evans St.
Greenville, NC 27834Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.universitychophouse.com/
- Phone: 2524392467x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 11:30am - 2:00pm & 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Saturday 5:00 - 9:30pm
Sunday 2:00 - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Joshua West / General Manager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We'll cater all of our menu items for any size group. If your party or event is of an upscale nature, we'll do much more than the usual chips and dip others cater. Speak with our Executive Chef for a menu and budget that suits your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: We can seat up to 80 diners in our main dining room, or the room can be divided to accommodate just half that amount. If your group desires to rent the entire restaurant, we can accommodate up to 209 diners utilizing our main dining room, outside patio and bar area.
- Private Party Contact: GM@UniversityChophouse.com 252-439-2467x
- Special Events: Check our Facebook page for special hours on holiday.
A word from University Chophouse
Greenville's Number One restaurant for relaxed, fine dining. Featuring great steaks, chops, seafood and original recipes. We have Greenville's largest selection of wines, beers and single malt scotches. For special events such as business meetings, anniversary parties, wedding parties, etc., our main dining room can be divided to accommodate your group size.Continued
So if you like a quiet atmosphere, linen tablecloths superbly prepared food, the University Chophouse is your place to be.
So if you like a quiet atmosphere, linen tablecloths superbly prepared food, the University Chophouse is your place to be.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
University Chophouse - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
University Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Steak was awesomeTrippDined on 9/13/2014It was absolutely wonderful. Perfect food and evening. It was a pleasant surprise since this was my first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MealOutoftownDined on 9/9/2014I have had dinner here many times and it is always good. We had a great server and the food was good. When I have a group, I like going here because it is not too loud, and you can have a conversation and hear everyone at the table.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!SusieDined on 8/22/2014Food was great and our server, Lauren couldn't have been more attentive, and always showed up at the appropriate time.Special Features:
- Good service, Food no greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Not impressed. Calamari for appetizer was not tasty. Rolls did not seem to be fully baked. Bread did was too oily. The steak Oscar was good but the sauce was mediocre. Probably will not go back. Plenty of food. Expensive.
- Lacking identityDiningMagicDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant bills itself as a chop house but in reality the food is overpriced and of a poor quality. There is a beautiful loud bar (loud because of the country music played at a high volume not because of people at the bar) and booths that have been put in too close together. I was really excited about trying this restaurant, but to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I love finding wonderful local establishments and avoiding chains, but this isn't one. Fatty steaks as the only options, chefs don't know steak temperatures, sides that are so small they are a joke. No. . . will NOT be going back, ever!
- Expected fun night ,nope..paintcanDined on 6/28/2014Really an overall bad experience.We were with guests so just leaving was not an option. You served 2 good filets. Everything else brought to our table was not properly prepared.Much was inedible.Ribeye too tough to chew - took it home for chili. Cocktails,dinner service was amateurish.A second glass of wine or dessert ?Never offered.Much of evening we were just ignored. Read recent reviews on Tripadvisor and see we have lots of company.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014I am so sorry to have to say this. This used to be a good restaurant. The food was terribly salty. Staff was friendly but seems to be poorly trained, never refilled water, bartender didn't even provide cocktail napkins, kitchen said they were out of a particular salad dressing (on a Friday night!) These are very basic things requiring only training, paying attention, and being prepared. I understand they have had several management changes, sadly not for the better.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Even with a coupon it was too expensive and the food quality was not worth it.
- Are you kidding me/with this priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Overall, very poor. Large group of 10 with one waitress doing all service and delivery to table. Food came out lukewarm and preparation was disgusting. Although a couple of group members did enjoy their selection.
- TerribleSherryDined on 6/21/2014We asked for two tables of eight to alleviate long waits , since 16 is very difficult to manage at a restaurant. We were given a table for 16... waited almost 1/2 hour for drinks, no Bud Light?? The dinner went downhill from there..After finally getting served the food was cold, entrees and sides were not delivered at the same time. Had a great experience at this restaurant last year when visiting , but new management has hurt this restaurant. The general manager needs training. Will not be returning.
- Prob. won't be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Our waitress was great. The issues we encountered were not her responsibility. had reservations at 6:30, finished at 8:30. We were one of 3 parties in there. A meal for 4 shouldn't have taken 2 hours. Kitchen printer wasn't working - delayed the meal 20 minutes. My tuna was served as Medium, not medium rare. By the time, i got the medium rare served, i had eaten my potato and wasn't really hungry. Got the rest in a takeout. Ordered a pomegranate martini...98% vodka - very strong. Again our waitress was great these issues were not her responsibilities. Doubt seriously i'll go back. Should have stuck to my orig. plan and grilled steaks.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencedabgvDined on 6/14/2014Everything was perfect. The reservation went off without a hitch, the food was amazing, the customer service was perfect and the dining area was immaculate. This is a great place to go to experience great overall quality in Greenville. Although our experience for this post is regarding our dinner and for a special night out, their lunch menu is reasonable (cost-wise) enough to make it a constant spot to visit.Special Features:
- ErraticBypamlicobayDined on 6/12/2014Waitress was charming and efficient. Ordered 2 premium martinis which were fine but first time I've received with no olives. Chicken oscar with garlic mash side dish was 4+; 12 oz ribeye had good sear but was less than a good restaurant steak; routine ribeye at outback is far better. Side Caesar salad for $7 was tiny, poorly prepared like you'd expect from a strip mall low end chain. Overall about a 3 experience; has fallen since last visit 3-4 months ago.I would recommend this to a friend.
- asdfhklDined on 6/1/2014This restaurant used to be one of my favorite dining spots in Greenville. However, they recently changed the menu and in my opinion, the food has gone down hill. Very high quality food is being served on Correlle dishes which makes me feel like I am at home. The mocha creme' brulee is to die for! :)Special Features:
- Very disappointedMmmmmDined on 5/30/2014One steak was great. Everything else was a much less quality than expected for the price. Service was good, but slow, though there were hardly any patrons that night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Used to be a favorite place, with a great menu where you could combine a wide variety of unusual and tasty salads with fish or meat. But the menu has changed to fall in line with steakhouse chains like Outback and Longhorn. Not bad, just not special anymore.
- The following 97 reviews are from the University Chophouse reviews archive.
- Pricey for GreenvillechucksterbDined on 5/21/2014Good spot for business entertaining or a special occasion. Somewhat limited menu but kitchen very accomodating for "off-menu" items such as a plain side salad or a previously offered appetizer. Respectable wine list. Wait staff very attentive. Very few patrons on a Wednesday early evening and we were seated with a reservation at a 2-person table near a noisy party of of six. Otherwise, food was excellent and meal was very enjoyable. We shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointedHD12Dined on 5/15/2014We had dinner at the Chophouse 5/15/2014. Our service was terrible to say the least and our orders were incorrect. 2 of the 4 sides were correct and 1 of the 4 steaks were correct. It took forever to get a drink. It wasn't even that busy that night. Two steaks were suppose to be med/rare prime rib but both received RAW rib eyes. It was so terrible we were just ready to leave. So when our waitress finally returned she only offered our check not even dessert. We were glad to take it and leave. We will NOT be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014the food was luke warm at best.Asian vegetable medley was a small bowl mush, never saw anything like it. I don't know if you offer bread with the meal, we did not get any. The service was poor.
- Nice, but not a "4 star"LewPDined on 5/10/2014Food and service was good, but the place is not much different than a "Olive Garden". I would go back if the prices were not at the four star level.Special Features:
- Awesome dinnerGiGi0917Dined on 5/9/2014Dinner was great, friends meeting me didn't like the reviews they read before arriving. They really enjoyed their means! Filet with a side of mushrooms on point. Josh was our server, very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never again!!!!GraceDined on 5/9/2014We reserved a table for 5 to celebrate our son graduating from ECU. We have never dined at this location but have been to others and always left very satisfied. This time was a total shock. 5 ribeyes were ordered Medium. 4 were well done 1 came rare. They were all very thin. The baked potatoes came cold and hard. Our waiter disappeared once he took away our salad plates. Our food was brought by another server. Our drinks were never refilled. We even had to wait to pay. Not once were we asked how our food was...so on our credit card receipt my husband left a little including his phone number. No call as of yet. Oh and did I mention our server had to look at our menu to take out orders? Total disservice to chop houses in other areas!
- Worst Experience EverStayAwayDined on 5/9/2014Wines were mixed up, drinks never refilled, asked for more oil/vinegar and wine but didn't get either. When we got our steaks, one was raw and cold and the other was overcooked. The filet came back just slightly un-raw and then the ribeye was cooked more! We sent it back again and got a raw steak back. The Asian Vegetables were overcooked and soaked in a sauce and the butter given for potatoes was smaller than my thumbnail. The manager seemed accommodating and nice...until we got our bill. They only comp'd us for the second wine and then we received a coupon for a free entree during another visit. When we approached the manager about our $187 bill, he snapped "What do you want" before even looking up to see who it was. STAY AWAY.
- Terrible serviceNotHappyDined on 5/8/2014Everytime I come here I have a similar experience. The food is always delicious but the service is horrible. At my most recent experience it took at least 25 minutes for our server to take our drink order and it wasn't even crowded. I definitely would not recommend going on a weekend where a lot of families are in town (graduation, homecoming, etc).Special Features:
- Total Disaster!Louwho1Dined on 5/8/2014Celebrating my sons graduation. We were seated with menus and never saw a server for ~20min. No servers?!We had to go ask for some water. A waiter finally came over & said it was his first day on the job and the bar tender was new too. We were so ready to order drinks,appetizers, and dinner by this time! After 20 min finally got wine but no bar drinks. An hour and half finally brought steaks. No sides,no salad, horrible!!When augratin potatoes came out ...cold blob...that was it!!! We were disgusted!!My mom ordered shrimp scampi and it looked like a few shrimp plopped on top of pasta. Yuk! I hope they improve before next year's graduation!!!Gordon Ramsey needs to come help this restaurant!! It was a disaster!!So much for a celebration! BAD!
- Disappointedpiggy2Dined on 4/25/2014Reserved a table for 10 since I had out of town guests. Table was ready and I appreciated we were not rushed so we could enjoy time together. But the service was really slow, we had to ask for the wine/drink menu, and noticed the menu was very different from what was on line. The food from everyone was not great. Filet was tough, grits in shrimp and grits were too dry, scallops were over cooked. The salads were way smaller than before. It wasn't busy at all, so not sure why food was so poorly cooked. My husband and I had ate there several times before and always love the food and service. Wish it had been as good for my guests. Will be a long time before we give it another chance.
- Superb dining spotNCDinerDined on 3/28/2014University Chop House has excellent food and a great outdoor patio. I had the blackened scallops as an appetizer and they were to die for! I would recommend this restaurant for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We look forward to returning soonAll4LovedItDined on 3/21/2014My wife and I took a business client and his wife to University Chop House for dinner. We were coming from out of town on a Friday night so I made a reservation, but it was not necessary. When I made the reservation I asked for a quiet table and the hostess confirmed that request when she seated us. The bar choices were good and our group had red wine, white wine, martini with blue cheese stuffed olives and single-malt scotch. The first person in our party order the Filet Oscar and the other three thought it sounded so good they got the same thing. We had a variety of salads which were all very good. It might have been nice to have more variety in our entrees, but it is hard to imagine anything else could have been better.Special Features:
- lunch special-chicken sandwichtechmanDined on 3/20/2014The chicken was very dry and the chips were cold. The portions were not too bad for the $3 special price, but I would never pay the normal $8.95 price for that little food which was not good either. Perhaps another dish would have been better so I might give the Chop House another chance if I have time.
- Great place to dineLunchieDined on 3/20/2014Recommend checking this out for lunch or special occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow ServiceOutoftownDined on 3/19/2014The new menu was great - some good selections. The food was good. My only complaint was the service, or more the time. While we had a table of 6 (not that big of a group), the service was extremely slow. What frustrated me more than anything was that usually for a table our size, our server would get the help of someone else to bring out all the plates at one time. Instead, she brought two out, then went back, and it took minutes before everyone had their plates. They really should team up when serving larger tables. I will say our server was extremely nice, and did a great job of interacting with the table.
- Great Job!SallyDined on 3/15/2014We appreciated your attention to our request for a window seat. The table was comfortable with plenty of room for the four of us. The food was delicious and we appreciated your attention. Thank you so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindHankDined on 3/8/2014Surprise jewel in a shopping mall, but separated well enough to preserve a well appointed, relaxed feel. Both the Berkshire pork chop and Filet Oscar were wonderful. The gingered calamari was outstanding. Lauren, our server, was attentive but not intrusive. On a par with other great restaurants in larger cities near us.Special Features:
- The service was good. TheBMAVDined on 3/2/2014The service was good. The steak was good. They got my sides wrong twice. For $120, the ambience was not what I would expect.
- Great place for special occasionsEatoutoftenVIPDined on 2/26/2014We celebrated a 21st birthday at University Chophouse. The ambience, food and service could not have pleased us more. These made our celebration more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulasdfhklDined on 2/26/2014This restaurant was fantastic. We have dined before, but once again, the steaks were delicious. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just another Dinner at a steakhouseMimiVIPDined on 2/22/2014Nothing to rave about. Good food, average service. The food was not warm, even the plate was cold. But the manager made sure that we were happy. It was my daughter's birthday the manager treated her. Yet, I would try other restaurants before I go back to this one.Special Features:
- Nasty foodMeg7295Dined on 2/22/2014The food was awful. I had to send my steak back 3 times and by the third time I gave up. When I fist got it. The steak was cold and wasn't cooked all the way. I sent it back to be cooked a little more. It came back and nothing was done to it... Still cold and undercooked. Finally they cooked me a new steak and it was cooked just right but it had no flavor. All I could tast was the grill. I also go au gratin potatoes. It was cooked with old potatoes... Couldn't eat it. I will never go back. It's way over priced and the food is awful
- Best I had so far in GreenvilleWolfpackjackDined on 2/15/2014Probably the best restaurant in Greenville. Food is very good as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience every timepiggy2Dined on 2/15/2014My husband and I have ate here several times, usually for a quiet meal to celebrate a special something, as we don't often eat out. I have never been disappointed by the food. The salads are creative and fresh, and both the steaks and seafood items are always better than we expect. I had the lobster ravioli, and thought it was delicious. Not a huge portion, but with my salad and bread it was perfect. Wine selection was good. Out of alot of beer which was pretty weird. Service was good; waiter was nice and efficient, but not overpowering. Wasn't rushed, but didn't feel like I was waiting around for the next thing either. The tables aren't right on top of the other,so the noise level was low, and no TV in the dining area! Yay! Will go back!Special Features: