Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: (212) 243-4020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
657 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (457)special occasion (350)neighborhood gem (347)notable wine list (212)great for lunch (211)romantic (154)great for brunch (132)hot spot (102)good for groups (91)vibrant bar scene (70)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (16)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great food - good location - spectacular serviceWclough333VIPDined on 11/21/2014This restaurant provided good food, excellent ambience and really good service - it was near the Gramercy Park Hotel and the waiter really made it a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014I came here with a friend for the first time the other day. The food was really excellent and was prepared in such a way that you know the chef is a pro. It was not overly fancy, however. Just really good food. We shared an appetizer portion of the butternut squash tortelli in brown butter sauce; I had the roast chicken entrée and my friend had the pork chop entrée. Both were excellent. The roast chicken came with chestnut bread stuffing and that was simply divine. For dessert we had the pumpkin cheesecake and the honeycrisp apple pie/crumb, and again, both were just so good. The service was top notch as well. At the end, the bill wasn't as huge as I was expecting- for one glass of wine each, a shared pasta, two entrees, two desserts and coffee, the total was around $150 (70 each, before tip). I would definitely come back here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodienycVIPDined on 11/18/2014This was my second time in the past month where I've eaten at Union Square cafe, & unfortunately both times lacked in polish and service. It seems the restaurant has gotten comfortable & has forgotten they are a special occasion type spot. Two weeks ago, my favorite squash pasta came out ice cold, & when the dish was returned to me, they included my half bitten ravioli in the re-warmed dish: I thought that lacked class. Why not make the dish over? Then a couple of nights ago, my companion and I ordered 3 courses: the third course of lamb took 30 minutes from the second course. My server seemed to totally forget about me, as I flagged her down and gently reminded her that it had been a long while since the second course was taken away. Though the server was apologetic, I felt the restaurant should have done more. A nice touch would have been a complimentary cookie with our dessert... Something to say, sorry we forgot you, would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why the buzz?CluboidDined on 11/17/2014Wow - that was a disappointment. Main course of swordfish came breadcrumbed and deep fried, and so overcooked that you wouldn't know if it was a fishfinger or chicken. But you would definitely not have guessed swordfish. Why would you do that? It looked and tasted like the processed chicken you get from the deep freeze section and give to your kids when there's nothing left. And a dessert of cookies and biscuits was seemingly inspired by standing in a line at Starbucks looking at theirs, and executed to much the same level. The best summary came from my wife who commented that the Virgin Atlantic meal the following day showed greater care and flavor. Can't fault the wine list though - wish there had been better food to accompany it.Special Features:
- Union Square, my favorite Manhattan restaurantHolmesDined on 11/15/2014With great service, both informed and unassuming, interesting food, and informal ambiance, USC is my number 1 choice in Manhattan when meeting friends or family, celebrating a birthday at lunchtime with my wife and 2 boys, or just having cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be great. Not so much anymore.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Not the great restaurant it once was, USC now seems to cater to a strictly over 60 crowd and the food was overly salty and unexciting.
- Still great foodsjlmVIPDined on 11/14/2014We had a limited menu at lunch b/c of a gas problem but on the phone and upon arrival that was made clear. The cauliflower soup was delicious as was the Brussels sprouts and apple salad. The cookies and biscotti dessert plate was delicious and too much for 2. Wine list is well chosen but overpriced, e.g., a wine I know could buy retail for $18 is $50; $12 for a glass when the retail price for a bottle is $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/14/2014This was not a good moment to judge Union Square Cafe, as their gas line had failed and they were forced to serve a VERY LIMITED MENU. We are big fans of Union Square Cafe, but this mishap was disappointing. It does not deter us from returning . . we are more concerned about the future of Union Square Cafe is they are unable to remain in their current space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014Amazing food, great service, one of my favorite places, even in the same group, though I love Maialino too. Very sad that it's closing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Union Square CafeBeteraVIPDined on 11/12/2014We've said it before and have never changed our (collective) minds. We love this place. The food is top notch, the friendly service never overwhelming, the venue lovely, cozy and elegant all at the same time. Do go--you won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!amperstineDined on 11/12/2014Union Square today hasn't changed a bit all these years - still the fantastic restaurant I always want to return to. The service was impeccable, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. We had a terrific waiter who was very accomodating to my request to taste the fabulous garlic potatoes.The food was delicious as always. The sunchoke sformata was so interesting and delicious my only regret is that it wasn't bigger. We are sad the restaurant is forced to relocate but looking forward to an equally inviting and warm new home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday celebrationtravelingdinersDined on 11/12/2014we chose this for a celebration and it lived up to expectations--The Lamb was outstanding, our waitress was helpful and friendly--We hope to return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still On TopDeanelderVIPDined on 11/11/2014I first walked through the door to USC shortly after its opening in, I believe, 1985. My most recent visit was 11/11/14 and I had one of those "first time" experiences all over again. In a town where great or near great restaurants tend to erode in quality and spirit faster than any fading comet, Union Square Cafe gleefully maintains a level of quality that is uniquely its own. Wherever the new Cafe is relocated - I'll be walking through those doors again. And again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special placecrbaVIPDined on 11/11/2014My 90 year old father has dined at USC for many years. He often sat at the bar and had lunch, but also dined with his friends in the restaurant for dinner. Due to his age, he no longer gets out much and recently asked that me and my sister bring him there for dinner. I called the restaurant and explained to the hostess my situation she immediately responded and said, "I know your father!" She said she'd take care of everything and she did. Besides giving us the quietest table in the house, which I requested, we received the warmest of welcomes and a fabulous dessert that was personalized with a note to my dad. An exceptional place that truly cares about it's patrons. Bravo USC.Special Features:
- Service was slowCCNYCVIPDined on 11/10/2014I'm not used to the service being so slow, but they were packed and busy and it wasn't terrible. I am so going to miss this place when it closes! The lamb chops were excellent, the Gruyere potatoes amazing!
- Still fabulous2todineDined on 11/9/2014Been coming for years and it is like an old pair of shoes, comfortable and comforting. The food is always perfect as is the service.Special Features:
- The best Ricotta Gnocchi everAnniebVIPDined on 11/9/2014The food and service are excellent. The Ricotta Gnocchi is to die for. Pillows of ricotta in a fabulous tomato sauce like you have never had anywhere else. We went on Sunday for brunch and I am still thinking about the gnocchi 5 days later. Excellent hamburger and homemade gelato and sorbet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never been disappointedMiodrag1VIPDined on 11/9/2014As with every time that I had dined at USC this this time was no different.Excellent service and wonderfully prepared and presented food.Special Features:
- no big dealSeltzeroneVIPDined on 11/8/2014food was just okay - expected to be wowed - just adequate - service was fantastic - nice place to talk - but if you want a food experience - look elsewhere.
- Contiunes to be excellentfoodformeDined on 11/8/2014Patrick our waiter was amazing, new the menu very well, wine list too. Food was outstanding, a total treat!Special Features:
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014I have been to Union Square Cafe many times, and this experience was not as good as prior experiences--food was good not great.
- Favorite New York City restaurantSuzyDined on 11/6/2014We saved our evening at Union Square cafe for the final night our weeks vacation because the restaurant and staff never disappoint. Glad to hear the location may change in 2016 but the all of the best parts of Union Square cafe will continue on at a different location.Special Features:
- Great food and service!GreatfoodVIPDined on 11/6/2014Union Square cafe is my favorite restaurant in all of NYC!! It never disappoints!! The food and service are always excellent and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. The servers take a special interest in their customers and it makes the dining experience all that more enjoyable.Special Features:
- Union Square Cafe great as alwaysYeatsSisVIPDined on 11/6/2014The food & the service, everything was first rate, as usual. I had the hamburger for the first time - excellent. And the polenta, from the original menu, still rocks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the BestJoan39Dined on 11/5/2014Hearing that Union Square Café was moving, it was imperative to revisit and we definitely were not disappointed! It is still the best!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfect.JRowDined on 11/5/2014Loved having lunch here - the food and service are great. I had their signature tuna burger -perfect! My lunch partner had the appetizer of an egg over easy - she wasn't that hungry but ate it all up!Special Features:
- mhk2000Dined on 11/4/2014Great food, served flawlesly - a gem of a restaurantSpecial Features:
- Food and AmbianceRickJaxDined on 11/4/2014The food was good to very good, the ambiance was average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- union square cafeNYerDined on 11/4/2014This restaurant continues to be amazing. We went to celebrate a birthday, and because we understand that rising rents in the neighborhood mean the restaurant will have to move or close :( The specialized cocktails were wonderful. The appetizers (sunchoke sformaga, butternut squash pasta) were delicious. The two mains we had (both fish) were also very good, although not quite all the way up to the appetizers. The desserts (especially the filling in the apple crepes) were also very good. I know I share with many New Yorkers the hopes that this restaurant can find another location in the neighborhood and continue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodTBallDined on 11/3/2014Having lunch at USC is a 12 year tradition for my wife and me when we visit NYC. The reataurant has such a great neighborhood feel. Food and service levels are always great. If you are going to NYC this restaurant should be on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- off dayclaudeVIPDined on 11/2/2014I had not been at USC in some time and frankly, I was disappointed The service was spotty, the food was good but not great. Calamari was oily, pasta too salty. Banana caramel tart was great as usual. Maybe brunch is not the best time to go?Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014I took my boyfriend for his birthday. This is his favorite restaurant. We have been concerned also about the possible closing of the restaurant. Ambience lovely as always. I found our server somewhat "cold' though professional. My complaint which is not really your fault was that there was a loud, inebriated woman talking to the clients and it was annoying. In retrospect I think she should had been asked to leave earlier. Otherwise the dinner experience was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/31/2014Like visiting a cherished old friend, this restaurant never disappoints. The food is incredible without being pretentious. The service is friendly and welcoming. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Isn't It RomanticChipc3Dined on 10/30/2014My wife and I took a weekend trip to NYC to celebrate our anniversary and were lucky to be find we could get a table at the Union Square Cafe. We'd heard it was a great place but that was an understatement! we couldn't have found a more appropriate place to celebrate the occasion. The decor was warm and romantic from the water color paintings to the tasteful seasonal decor around the restaurant and the food was simply magnificent. Our waiter was very helpful in explaining dishes and pairing wine with what we ordered. I highly rate Union Square cafe for special occasions or just a dinner to make special memory. My only problem with the restaurant is trying to do as well next year on my anniversary. This place will be difficult to top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/30/2014Food was upstanding and the servers very personable.Special Features:
- Love going back!GobacksoonDined on 10/28/2014This was not my first trip to Union Square Cafe but it was for my husband. He thoroughly enjoyed it! Everyone helped make the experience special! The food was spectacular! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicIlovefood9Dined on 10/28/2014Wonderful to come back here as always. I have been coming here for sixteen years, and Union Square Cafe is every bit as magical as it was the first time I walked through the doors. Bravo.Special Features:
- Always "a special occasion"!!AnOldFriendVIPDined on 10/28/2014We eat here at least a several times a year, and it always is special!!!....In spite of a few "mistakes" by our server, we enjoyed our usual anniversary lunch....!! We'll be back soon....Special Features:
- Time To GoOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/27/2014We were here when it opened, it was the beginning of an era. We were there often and were NEVER disappointed. Not until Monday night. We have since moved to the Suburbs, but wanted to share a memory of our life with our daughter who is beginning her life in the city on her birthday. Unfortunately, the entire place is running on auto-pilot. Yes, they say all the right things, making sure many come by to say Happy Birthday to our girl, writing her name on her dessert plate. But, that was the end of it. Food was fine, not great. Service was fine. Wine and drinks were overpriced. Time for Union Square to move on and MARTA to take over.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2014Outstanding service, excellent food and great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.