Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: 2122434020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
659 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (429)special occasion (350)neighborhood gem (328)notable wine list (208)great for lunch (208)romantic (148)great for brunch (138)hot spot (90)good for groups (89)vibrant bar scene (74)kid-friendly (21)late-night find (21)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (2)Show More
- Very Nice for BrunchJimMVIPDined on 9/28/2014We had a very nice meal and very good service. Glad that we could make reservations (though could have done without the confirmation call AND email reminder).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for special occasions!DA88Dined on 9/27/2014This a great spot for any type of special occasions, great food, great service, and a very special ambiance for the Big Apple, especially if you are visiting Lower Manhattan. This is a true hustle and bustle New York restaurant with terrific food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starting to CloseMikeDVIPDined on 9/26/2014It is with regret that I have to say my favorite NY Restaurant that I have been going to frequently for decades has slipped several notches on service. The Food was superb as always. However, the courses were very slow coming out of the kitchen and the service, although pleasant, was not attentive. For example, coffee was served at the end of the meal without spoons or sugar; the cup placed on the table and the server disappeared. By the time one could get a server's attention the coffee had cooled. Not a great disaster but also not USC quality. The "A" Team was not on. Perhaps in their heads the restaurant has already closed and they have moved on.Special Features:
- Exceptional, as alwaysXperiencedEatrDined on 9/26/2014If Union Square Cafe is no longer the best restaurant in NYC, it retains the crown as favorite or most-loved. The service is as casually excellent as the food. The waitstaff remained attentive without being intrusive, and allowed us to linger well after our meal was done. The sommelier deftly suggested a less-expensive alternative to his initial advice without reluctance or hesitation. Pork ravioli had an intensely meaty flavor; the carpaccio salad was a light and tasty starter. None of this is news after all these years -- which may be the best news of all.Special Features:
- A new favoriteJeffDined on 9/26/2014The ambience and quiet comfort, great, personal service and great food and wine make this a new favorite for all visits to NYC.Special Features:
- Great for quiet lunchdiscerningDined on 9/26/2014Great service and excellent everything for a business lunch. The food was very good. Our waitress was excellent, don't know if that would have been the case with other servers, but ours could not have been better. Can't think of anything that wasn't up to par. Oh yes, it's a little too far from home, or I would go more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 9/24/2014We were seated in the back room at a table that was jammed against the wall. The waiter was helpful initially but forgot to bring the wine order and had to be chased down. The appetizer of heirloom tomatoes with creme fraiche was delicious but the main course lamb tasted like cardboard with little flavor and the texture of bread. Coffee was fine but no refill was ever offered. The food and service hardly measured up to past wonderful dining experiences at Union Square Cafe.
- Nice early diningpennstreetDined on 9/24/2014We dined here twice this year. The first time was all 5 stars. We sat in the lower level which was roomier and had less traffic. This time we sat on the bar level in the back. The salads were very good; the swordfish excellent. However, the cod was less than inspired. The key lime and peach cobbler were phenomenal. Most likely we will return.Special Features:
- Always very good!487TDined on 9/23/2014Union Square Cafe is a great restaurant with very good food and very good service. I was there for a business lunch this time but I go all the time just because I like everything everything about it! They serve simple food with a great selection of pastas also fish and meat dishes that are all really good Love the bib salad and when I don't feel like having the regular size I just ask and they make a smaller portion, they are very accommodating. Great selection of wines. My favorite thing to do at this restaurant is to eat at the bar, you do not need a reservation to eat at the bar Overall a good dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealAsaNYVIPDined on 9/20/2014We loved our meal. Great food, lovely ambience. Service on the wines (which we got by the glass) was a little odd--slow to get the second glass (took a long time, and I was already on my meal), and when I was discussing the my wine selection with the server, she didn't really seem as knowledgeable as I'd expect, and was a bit abrupt. So, I had to just take a chance. Turned out the wine was good. Still love the place....Special Features:
- Satisfied with everythingNoriDined on 9/20/2014I brought my friends visiting from Japan and they were very much satisfied with foods (not only tastes but presentation was also good), service (attentive, friendly and courteous), and atmosphere. It is my first time to come here, but I'll definitely come again with my important friends and guests.Special Features:
- Union Square CafeSPPPVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food experience was very very good. Our waiter did not like our wine selection and tried to upsell triple the price. Didn't work.We got what we ordered and really liked it. Other people don't know what your wine taste is. I do and am rarely disappointed with my selections. That said,it was a very nice evening. Do recommend but stick to your guns if your waiter does what ours did.Special Features:
- Still the one of the bestfruitguyDined on 9/19/2014A flawless meal. superior wine choices. extraordinary food flavors and a professional (and well humored) staff... can't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kinshuk JerathOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014It was a business lunch meeting and this was the perfect setting. Really good food, both entree and dessert.Special Features:
- Another lovely afternoon treatJanNYCDined on 9/19/2014For dinner or lunch, it is a special place. Every patron is treated with the finest, most cordial and food/wine informed waitpeople and most delicious food, for any occasion, whether it be a celebration or an informal get together. It has been my favorite for many, many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing ExcellenceStillworkingDined on 9/18/2014USC deserves to be one of Manhattan's most popular restaurants. The restaurant is attractive. The waitstaff are helpful and attentive without being intrusive. The food is delicious and beautifully presented and, given the quality received, reasonably priced. My only quibble is that the portions could be a bit larger. It is a shame the rent will drive them out of the neighborhood. A real loss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable HangoutSteveFVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food here is reliable if not exciting. The standard has remained relatively high over the years. The service was good but a little impersonable. Could be more attention to the customer. The greeters were very welcoming. Overall, a fairly good experience.Special Features:
- One of NY's Best!GrrrrrrrrlfVIPDined on 9/18/2014This is one of the finest NY dining experiences that we have had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A birthday dinner to rememberlovethefoodDined on 9/18/2014Good food and service. Server was attentive and wished a happy birthday several times.Special Features:
- Union Square DelightHolodnyVIPDined on 9/18/2014Great food with efficient service.Lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFussbudgetDined on 9/18/2014I have been going to USC for years and years and have never had anything that wasn't absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Great, as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Still continues to turn out delicious food, with the freshest veggies around. Only complaint this time was the very close tables, we felt a little like we were having lunch with the two women next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Food was no more than average. Swordfish chewy from either arriving too old to the restaurant or having sat in the kitchen heater for too long. Scallops had no taste except some lime odor from the marinade.
- Great food, too noisykbnyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Met with 3 old friends for dinner on a Wednesday evening. Enjoyed the Heirloom Greenmarket tomatoes with goat chess, and the King Salmon, the dessert (Blueberry Crumb Pie) was just "OK" - didn't bother finishing it - and the place was way too noisy. Hope when Danny Meyer moves he does something to dampen sound. It is very frustrating to meet with friend one hasn't seen in years & then have to work so hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Wonderful service and very hospitable staff made the fine lunch a marvelous timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- metaphoricalDined on 9/16/2014As part of a group of 4, I had a seafood salad that included sliced tuna and shrimp. The tuna was perfect, the shrimp, while large, were fishy. The salad had far too much dressing for my liking. One other in our party had a burger of some sort that came with cole slaw with way too much of some spice (maybe cumin?). The other two dishes were fine. I like Union Square Cafe, but at these prices, there should be no caveats at all. Admittedly, the profit margin on lunch is nothing compared to dinner, but there are very good $20 lunches in the area and USqC needs to be better than them.Special Features:
- consistencyMichel6NYCDined on 9/15/2014Union Square Cafe was on Monday evening as it has always been. Consistency is wonderful in this restaurant. The service is very attentive, the cuisine is excellent and each bite was a pleasure, very nice wine selection, and a beautiful creme brulee! What a lovely evening! I hope that Union Square will stay in the neighborhood when it will have to move!Special Features:
- Very specialShozgirlVIPDined on 9/14/2014We really hope they don't have to move but went in case it does happen. Our 6th anniversary and all was wonderful. They gave us a quiet table as requested, and there were more delicious choices than we could decide upon. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the service and the ambiance at this NY instiution.Special Features:
- Always AmazingMichaelDVIPDined on 9/14/2014From start to finish you can sense the attention to every detail as you enjoy a wonderful meal at USC. The service is highly polished and professional but also highly approachable. You feel home here. Great food, reasonable prices, a super venue and energetic and caring wait staff all combine to make this place still one of the very best in New York City!Special Features:
- Supreme DiningDine808Dined on 9/13/2014After reading and re reading Setting The Table by Danny Meyer. My pilgrimage to the iconic Union Square Cafe was all I had hoped it to be. I recommend the lamb. The service was great our server Haley was on her game as was the rest of the staff. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnniversaryDined on 9/13/2014Food was terrific. We had brunch, sliced beef sirloin and baked eggs. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014Many friends recommended Union Square Cafe and they were right! Creative menu; everyone enjoyed every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- union squarelovemyfoodDined on 9/11/2014excellent meal with excellent service..the ambiance is quiet and reserved,the sommelier suggested a wine very appropriate to our meal we are sorry about the potential moveSpecial Features:
- Good but not how it used to beFoodieDined on 9/10/2014Been there several times, but this was not such a pleasant experience. There were too many people, it was noisy, table was not ready and there is no bar to wait (lots of people eating at the bar). Food was good but wine list lacked good affordable options; wines under $130 were disappointing. Remains a good restaurant but they need to pay more attention to the customer's overall experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of my trip to NYWeeweeDined on 9/10/2014I have waited 15 years to dine at this restaurant, as I have had the cook book for many years and use it often. I was not disappointed, my chicken malinese was crunch, tender and delish. I am craving it as I write. Also my husband ordered the key lime pie. I though ok, I will have a bite, well it was deconstructed and so light, I wanted to eat the whole thing myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion - loved itWineandDineDined on 9/9/2014This is my new NYC favorite restaurant - although price - worth it for a special lunch or dinner. Service was attentive without being annoying. The food was very good and portions were nice. I called ahead to tell them it was my daughter's birthday and that we would order dessert and could they put a candle in it? Not only was there a candle, but they wrote: Happy Birthday Briana in chocolate around the plate! What a nice personal touch! And it was delish! And most importantly, a bunch of wait staff did NOT come around and sing! We loved it and would definitely return!Special Features:
- Union Square CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014We were a few minutes late for our 8pm reservation, but we were seated quickly on the mezzanine. All the staff were welcoming and friendly. We looked at the wine list and made a request and then the sommelier came over and made some suggestions. He was very pleasant and knowledgeable and not "wine snobby" but said two of the wines were "life changing" which was a bit much. We had the heirloom tomatoes and the pancetta wrapped peaches for apps, both were excellent. We split a pasta the frascatelli with corn and guanciale, also excellent. My swordfish was fine, but not my favorite course. The key lime dessert was yummy. Overall I would definitely recommend. Staff was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farewell, Old FriendDrBobVIPDined on 9/8/2014The pending closure saddens me as this pioneer of the rebirth of Union Square is forced to leave. Loved everything about USC...food, service, ambience, it relationship with its workers, suppliers, customers and the neighborhood. Will rush back many more times before the end of days.Special Features:
- Great overall experience.CharlysMom1Dined on 9/8/2014We loved everything about this very special, sophisticated restaurant. Still savoring the divine dishes and cheerful, helpful service. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could go back every daypaprikajVIPDined on 9/8/2014Such fresh, well prepared dishes in a comfortable attractive setting. It is always a treat!Special Features: