Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: 2122434020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
680 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (466)special occasion (367)neighborhood gem (355)notable wine list (227)great for lunch (214)romantic (165)great for brunch (139)hot spot (103)good for groups (94)vibrant bar scene (74)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (24)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- A lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014We were a party of six and and arrived separately It was fabulous and showed a lot of class that it was not necessary to wait for everyone to arrive before we were seated. Everything else was great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexGDined on 10/22/2014Always a great meal. Never a bad time. Superb!! ThanksSpecial Features:
- bbyrdiDined on 10/21/2014This place is fantastic. USC continues to be one of my favorite places go, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Relocation!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Let's hope Mr. Meyer's finds another location in the neighborhood when this lease expires. It will be a tremendous loss if he doesn't.Special Features:
- Union Square CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Simply flawless. The scallops are like silk and melt in your mouth. The lamb is the best I have ever had. The waiter, Uri, is personable and attentive. He is a perfect example of true hospitality. I very much enjoyed watching the team work as a well orchestrated symphony. I can't wait to return with friends and loved ones.Special Features:
- RG13Dined on 10/19/2014There were four of us and we each ordered something different. Everything was delicious and the service was outstanding. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnNYCWEDined on 10/19/2014Amazing tapas selection & so much fun to watch the preparation at the food bar. Each choice exceptional. Great wine selection & service felt like we were the only ones there. One of our best dining experiences ever. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperiencewynedivaDined on 10/18/2014From the second we walked in I knew it was going to be an amazing experience! The service was impeccable and the cuisine was incredibly delicious. Run, do not walk to this restaurant as soon as you can. I will be here again as soon as I get back to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014I have been here before- so I picked it out for a special lunch with friends I haven't seen in 40 years. The service was horrivle, after waiting 20 mins for drinks- I asked about them and was told we are very busy can't you see that. It went down hill from there. WHen getting the bill the 5 of us put of credit cards in and asked to please slpit it 5 ways- we were asked will you put the tip on later???? This waiter needs to have a few customer service lessons.!! I will never go back.
- GREAT DINING EXPERIENCEenjoyVIPDined on 10/17/2014UNION SQUARE CAFE CONTINUES TO BE OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT. THE FOOD AND SERVICE IS ALWAYS TOP OF THE LINE. THE MENU IS DIVERSE, OFFERING GREAT CHOICES FOR ALL. WE ESPECIALLY ENJOY THE LAMB CHOPS. GREAT SERVICE IS A TRADEMARK OF THIS RESTAURANT. WE SINCERELY HOPE DANNY MEYER WILL FIND A WAY TO CONTINUE THIS ICONIC NEW YORK RESTAURANT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointLakies04Dined on 10/17/2014This is the third or fourth time I've eaten at Union Square Cafe. The visit was just as expected. My server let me peruse the dessert menu at my request prior to ordering the main dish (had to save room for dessert!) she pointed out a couple nice seasonal items on the dessert menu plus all the other great options. The food was excellent, I was in heaven. The fish was beautifully cooked and seasoned and the fig dessert did not disappoint. I will definitely be back again next time I am in town,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/16/2014This wonderful restaurant never fails to impress and delight! I will miss it tremendously when it closes next year, but I did learn that they are planning to reopen somewhere else in the city, so all is not lost. This visit I enjoyed the fried green tomato appetizer (decadently paired with butter poached lobster and pork belly), the tomato and ricotto gnocchi, and a fantastic lamb braciole, all with fantastic wine pairings. Fantastic service from Hayley.Special Features:
- Simply the bestRickDined on 10/15/2014Found the food, service and ambiance to be first-rate, once again. This gem will be missed when it closes.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014Came during a trip at a friend's recommendation. Food was amazing. My husband and I shared calamari and heirloom tomato salad for apps. Both excellent. I had the soft shell crab as a main. Had I known that both the crab and the calamari were breaded and deep fried, I wouldn't have gone with this combo. But individually, each of these dishes was well-prepared. Honey crisp crepes were delicious. Service very quick and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealAllisonTDined on 10/15/2014Love the atmosphere of this casual restaurant. Service is friendly and knowledgeable, food is well prepared and familiar, never trendy.Special Features:
- great againOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Great place for service and food is outstanding. Casual atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've always loved this place.PamDDined on 10/15/2014It's too bad about the landlord raising the rent so much. This is a landmark New York restaurant, known not only for its food, but its wonderful staff. This lunch was kind of a farewell meal to a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The hospitality at Union Square Café was outstanding, everyone we encountered could not have been more hospitable. The food was outstanding, we had a wonderful time. Loved it all!Special Features:
- Best food in NYClocalVIPDined on 10/14/2014Every item you order will be the best of that dish you ever tasted. Reliable, fabulous food always.Special Features:
- sad farewellPhil50VIPDined on 10/14/2014One of New York's best, it is a victim of its own success. Sky high rents are forcing it to close. If you have never been there, make an effort to visit by year end. Outstanding food and service. A wine list that is unrivaled in its variety and price points.Special Features:
- A Diner or an upscale restaurant?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014While the experience was as expected (food, service, wine), I was surprised by the casualness of the restaurant clientele. My partner always dresses fashionably and I expected the restaurant to reflect her tastes. I wore a suit and tie. It's one of the reasons I choose USC over many other places in the neighborhood. However, we were seated amongst shorts, Lululemon and ratty jeans and sneakers. The person sitting next to us picked up much of their food with their hands, leaving the silverware practically unused. Not sure this will be the top of my list next time for an important business lunch - or any sort of lunch.Special Features:
- Still going strongAmnereesDined on 10/13/2014We booked a lunch reservation here because we'd heard that the place was closing. Well, no such thing. The USC is closing at the present and original location but Danny Meyer is looking for a new location to reopen it. Although most restaurants, including some very hot ones, had openings for lunch, we've been going to the USC on and off on Columbus Day for years. We were given a great table, and the service was fine. There was delay in the service of espressos, and the waiter did not charge us for them (although we did not complain). The food was reliably fine--fresh ingredients, temptingly presented, and really delicious. We've had some attitude problems here at lunch on busy weekdays in the past, but we were very happy this day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continue on TopCathyVIPDined on 10/12/2014This place has been at or near the top of the critics choices in NYC for a long time. Critics love it, customers love it. Union Square has just the right balance of formal-informal; friendly-stuffy. It seems to exude relaxed confidence and self-efficacy about how to have a customer truly enjoy a night at their restaurant. We have been there every time we can get there from Texas--and last week's meal was as good as always. We didn't see their super lamb chops on the menu, but our server assured us there were a few servings off the menu. They were fabulous- lean but very juicy and flavorful. We know they will be moving in a year or so. Sure hope they settle somewhere we can still visit!Special Features:
- Excellent food; great serviceirene2travelDined on 10/12/2014We had a wonderful meal. I tried carpaccio for the first time and it was terrific! The main course fish and chicken dishes were excellent. The chocolate dessert was so yummy it was tempting to order a second. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beDiningoutVIPDined on 10/12/2014The only thing I can say is it's not as good as it used to be. The server was not up to par and when my husband asked him what he thought of a a particular dish, his response was 'I don't think'. Pretty rude if you ask me and unacceptable. Also, they used to scrape the crumbs from the table between dinner and dessert and that didn't happen either. Sad that service has gone down hill especially since this restaurant was my standard that I based all other restaurants on. No more. The apps were the best thing About our meal!
- Buzzing placeEurovisitorDined on 10/12/2014Very popular without being loud. Nice crowd old and young - and in betweens. Food was tasty - steak and eggs with broccoli rabe on the side. Rare steak was served medium but that was only thing to improve. Great desserts. Staff were great. Very few seats by any natural light.Special Features:
- PerfectionDimitriVIPDined on 10/12/2014My wife and I had decided to celebrate our son's being accepted at college, so I made a reservation for Sunday at lunch time. Not only did we have a superb meal, but our waiter was particularly amiable and interesting, not to mention knowledgeable about food and opera. The only disappointment was that our son conveyed to us that he wanted a few more days to make up his mind about where to go next year. Alas, we shall be obliged to return to one of NYC's finest restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular in every wayBonBriVIPDined on 10/11/2014I can usually find something to improve. Not this time. Our late night dinner began with the delightful, welcoming and professional personality of our server, Caroline. It continued uphill all night. Food was beautiful and delicious. I devoured the Pate', nearly licking the plate. The lamb chops were memorable (I have NEVER had better); tender and oh so tasty - I highly recommend. Friends had gnocchi and insisted it was the lightest and tastiest they've ever had. Cocktails were prepared with great skill, the wine list lacked nothing and dessert completed the smiles. We will return - there are so many wonderful choices on the menu to experience.Special Features:
- Always a 5-star experienceUnionstDined on 10/11/2014No matter whether a special occasion if a quick bite at the bar, USC is always the same impeccable experience start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greate and nice placeJAGRDined on 10/11/2014Wonderfoul place with excellent service and food, the brounch was amazing, the pork its greareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!TWolfeDined on 10/10/2014The service is impeccable, the food perfect and the location quirky and well lit. I hope their new spot is as nice. Bitte to our waitress, a true pro anticipating every need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always An Excellent Experiencease1707VIPDined on 10/8/2014The Union Square Cafe is always at the top of our list when we want a special place in the City to dine. The food is consistently wonderful, the atmosphere is is always celebratory without being too loud and the service is always professional. However the best part is the very warm welcome that everyone receives from the ladies that check you in and seat you to the manager that stops by to make sure that everything is OK. My wife and I often frequent high-end restaurants in New York City and the Union Square Cafe always shines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnernandjdonDined on 10/8/2014We feel so lucky to have been able to eat here. The food was exceptionally good. My husband's fried calamari was the best we have ever had. My shaved brussels sprout salad with pate very nice. My husband cod was perfectly cooked and my braciole of lamb was perfectly cooked.The service was impeccable. my The service was impeccable. We would eat here again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- DisappointedkumquatDined on 10/7/2014`Not a decent table in the entire restaurant, and the noise level is distracting. Very good food and service, but better luck on the new location.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014We visited, had drinks, ate what I had hoped for. All was fine. Don
- The salad was a triumph!steeddoDined on 10/6/2014I ordered an heirloom tomato salad as a first course. They were the best tomatoes I have ever (ever!) eaten -- and I grow them!! The beef in the beef carpaccio was tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- has seen better daysgayla23Dined on 10/6/2014Went to Union Square the other night before it disappears from the NYC restaurant scene. It was good but not outstanding as it was many years ago. The menu is tired and the food was just average that evening. Things change.......but great memories!Special Features:
- Union Square gemluv2dineDined on 10/6/2014Had not been there since I moved out west, but had lunch in the quiet main dining room and service, food and ambiance was better than I remembered. Salads were not too wet. Ravioli was superb. Union Square is lucky to have such a long-lived special restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but expected moreTrufflePigVIPDined on 10/5/2014Our visit was OKAY..... Nothing spectacular, but not terrible either. Our waiter was relatively new but very nice.....the food was just not as interesting or spectacular as anticipated. The seating was also very odd as we were located below a large mural which was lit from above, over lighting the area. This particular area of the restaurant would be better if the lighting was much more subtle and the mural was uplit.
- Service SlipsMikeDVIPDined on 10/5/2014USC continues to provide great dining in a sophisticated and casual setting. However, after three visits this month, there is little doubt that management has taken its eye off the ball when it comes to service; ordinary and inattentive....not to the USC standard.Special Features: