Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: 2122434020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
678 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (460)special occasion (368)neighborhood gem (358)notable wine list (225)great for lunch (206)romantic (165)great for brunch (131)hot spot (103)good for groups (95)vibrant bar scene (76)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (22)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (2)Show More
- Love going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014This was not my first trip to Union Square Cafe but it was for my husband. He thoroughly enjoyed it! Everyone helped make the experience special! The food was spectacular! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014Wonderful to come back here as always. I have been coming here for sixteen years, and Union Square Cafe is every bit as magical as it was the first time I walked through the doors. Bravo.Special Features:
- Time To GoOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/27/2014We were here when it opened, it was the beginning of an era. We were there often and were NEVER disappointed. Not until Monday night. We have since moved to the Suburbs, but wanted to share a memory of our life with our daughter who is beginning her life in the city on her birthday. Unfortunately, the entire place is running on auto-pilot. Yes, they say all the right things, making sure many come by to say Happy Birthday to our girl, writing her name on her dessert plate. But, that was the end of it. Food was fine, not great. Service was fine. Wine and drinks were overpriced. Time for Union Square to move on and MARTA to take over.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2014Outstanding service, excellent food and great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/26/2014Excellant food and service, like always! Our waiter made the experience delightful.Special Features:
- icecreamDined on 10/26/2014They know how to do it and they do it really well. Polished, polite, warm and hospitable, and of course totally delicious.Special Features:
- First visit in awhileOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014After many trips to the Union Square Cafe (in the years when we easily made it up to the balcony because it was the quietest spot in the place), this visit was a great disappointment. The service was extremely slow in the back of the restaurant and we were served our main dish over an hour after it was ordered and after complaining to the server. Neither entree was cooked to either of our liking but we felt that if we sent it back it would take another hour. I am sorry but after all of these years, I do not plan to return. I wish them luck in their new location.
- Excellent BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Went for brunch with my wife this past Saturday. Both of us had an excellent meal. Appetizers were solid (I had the minestrone), the entree was fantastic (I had the pork sandwich) and the dessert was incredible (we split the banana tart). The service was a little slow, but I suppose that should be expected during peak brunch hours on the weekend (we had a 12:30 reservation on a Saturday), and the food more than made up for it. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food All AroundPatsVIPDined on 10/25/2014We each had a different menu item and all four of us loved what we got. the bacon cheeseburger, blt, berkshire pork open faced sandwich were are very delicious.Special Features:
- Fantastic at Union Square CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014After reading Danny Meyer's book on hospitality, I was very excited to dine at Union Square Cafe. His first restaurant lived up to its narrative. From the reservation team, hostess, servers, and manager - the experience was truly outstanding. The food was delicious and I wish I could have ordered more dishes off the menu just to taste. The manager came to our table to welcome us and talk about the restaurant because he heard I read the book. It was such a memorable experience and I hope to go back to other Danny Meyer restaurants!Special Features:
- GreatDVDvDined on 10/24/2014Food as good as expected, did not feel rushed. Non our waiter was on pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SpecialRedAdManDined on 10/24/2014It's always a joy to have dinner at the Union Square Cafe. The food is fantastic. The service is superb, they're just the nicest people and don't bug every 2 minutes. Can't wait to go back again soon.Special Features:
- A lovely experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014We were a party of six and and arrived separately It was fabulous and showed a lot of class that it was not necessary to wait for everyone to arrive before we were seated. Everything else was great tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerDMTnDVIPDined on 10/22/2014As always the food was exceptional. Unfortunately the service did not live up to what the kitchen served out.Special Features:
- AlexGDined on 10/22/2014Always a great meal. Never a bad time. Superb!! ThanksSpecial Features:
- Relocation!CuisineCultureDined on 10/21/2014Let's hope Mr. Meyer's finds another location in the neighborhood when this lease expires. It will be a tremendous loss if he doesn't.Special Features:
- bbyrdiDined on 10/21/2014This place is fantastic. USC continues to be one of my favorite places go, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Union Square CafeHospitalityConsultantDined on 10/20/2014Simply flawless. The scallops are like silk and melt in your mouth. The lamb is the best I have ever had. The waiter, Uri, is personable and attentive. He is a perfect example of true hospitality. I very much enjoyed watching the team work as a well orchestrated symphony. I can't wait to return with friends and loved ones.Special Features:
- RG13Dined on 10/19/2014There were four of us and we each ordered something different. Everything was delicious and the service was outstanding. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to returnNYCWEDined on 10/19/2014Amazing tapas selection & so much fun to watch the preparation at the food bar. Each choice exceptional. Great wine selection & service felt like we were the only ones there. One of our best dining experiences ever. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperiencewynedivaDined on 10/18/2014From the second we walked in I knew it was going to be an amazing experience! The service was impeccable and the cuisine was incredibly delicious. Run, do not walk to this restaurant as soon as you can. I will be here again as soon as I get back to NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014I have been here before- so I picked it out for a special lunch with friends I haven't seen in 40 years. The service was horrivle, after waiting 20 mins for drinks- I asked about them and was told we are very busy can't you see that. It went down hill from there. WHen getting the bill the 5 of us put of credit cards in and asked to please slpit it 5 ways- we were asked will you put the tip on later???? This waiter needs to have a few customer service lessons.!! I will never go back.
- GREAT DINING EXPERIENCEenjoyVIPDined on 10/17/2014UNION SQUARE CAFE CONTINUES TO BE OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT. THE FOOD AND SERVICE IS ALWAYS TOP OF THE LINE. THE MENU IS DIVERSE, OFFERING GREAT CHOICES FOR ALL. WE ESPECIALLY ENJOY THE LAMB CHOPS. GREAT SERVICE IS A TRADEMARK OF THIS RESTAURANT. WE SINCERELY HOPE DANNY MEYER WILL FIND A WAY TO CONTINUE THIS ICONIC NEW YORK RESTAURANT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointLakies04Dined on 10/17/2014This is the third or fourth time I've eaten at Union Square Cafe. The visit was just as expected. My server let me peruse the dessert menu at my request prior to ordering the main dish (had to save room for dessert!) she pointed out a couple nice seasonal items on the dessert menu plus all the other great options. The food was excellent, I was in heaven. The fish was beautifully cooked and seasoned and the fig dessert did not disappoint. I will definitely be back again next time I am in town,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/16/2014This wonderful restaurant never fails to impress and delight! I will miss it tremendously when it closes next year, but I did learn that they are planning to reopen somewhere else in the city, so all is not lost. This visit I enjoyed the fried green tomato appetizer (decadently paired with butter poached lobster and pork belly), the tomato and ricotto gnocchi, and a fantastic lamb braciole, all with fantastic wine pairings. Fantastic service from Hayley.Special Features:
- Simply the bestRickDined on 10/15/2014Found the food, service and ambiance to be first-rate, once again. This gem will be missed when it closes.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014Came during a trip at a friend's recommendation. Food was amazing. My husband and I shared calamari and heirloom tomato salad for apps. Both excellent. I had the soft shell crab as a main. Had I known that both the crab and the calamari were breaded and deep fried, I wouldn't have gone with this combo. But individually, each of these dishes was well-prepared. Honey crisp crepes were delicious. Service very quick and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealAllisonTDined on 10/15/2014Love the atmosphere of this casual restaurant. Service is friendly and knowledgeable, food is well prepared and familiar, never trendy.Special Features:
- great againOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Great place for service and food is outstanding. Casual atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've always loved this place.PamDDined on 10/15/2014It's too bad about the landlord raising the rent so much. This is a landmark New York restaurant, known not only for its food, but its wonderful staff. This lunch was kind of a farewell meal to a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014The hospitality at Union Square Café was outstanding, everyone we encountered could not have been more hospitable. The food was outstanding, we had a wonderful time. Loved it all!Special Features:
- Best food in NYClocalVIPDined on 10/14/2014Every item you order will be the best of that dish you ever tasted. Reliable, fabulous food always.Special Features:
- sad farewellPhil50VIPDined on 10/14/2014One of New York's best, it is a victim of its own success. Sky high rents are forcing it to close. If you have never been there, make an effort to visit by year end. Outstanding food and service. A wine list that is unrivaled in its variety and price points.Special Features:
- A Diner or an upscale restaurant?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014While the experience was as expected (food, service, wine), I was surprised by the casualness of the restaurant clientele. My partner always dresses fashionably and I expected the restaurant to reflect her tastes. I wore a suit and tie. It's one of the reasons I choose USC over many other places in the neighborhood. However, we were seated amongst shorts, Lululemon and ratty jeans and sneakers. The person sitting next to us picked up much of their food with their hands, leaving the silverware practically unused. Not sure this will be the top of my list next time for an important business lunch - or any sort of lunch.Special Features:
- Still going strongAmnereesDined on 10/13/2014We booked a lunch reservation here because we'd heard that the place was closing. Well, no such thing. The USC is closing at the present and original location but Danny Meyer is looking for a new location to reopen it. Although most restaurants, including some very hot ones, had openings for lunch, we've been going to the USC on and off on Columbus Day for years. We were given a great table, and the service was fine. There was delay in the service of espressos, and the waiter did not charge us for them (although we did not complain). The food was reliably fine--fresh ingredients, temptingly presented, and really delicious. We've had some attitude problems here at lunch on busy weekdays in the past, but we were very happy this day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continue on TopCathyVIPDined on 10/12/2014This place has been at or near the top of the critics choices in NYC for a long time. Critics love it, customers love it. Union Square has just the right balance of formal-informal; friendly-stuffy. It seems to exude relaxed confidence and self-efficacy about how to have a customer truly enjoy a night at their restaurant. We have been there every time we can get there from Texas--and last week's meal was as good as always. We didn't see their super lamb chops on the menu, but our server assured us there were a few servings off the menu. They were fabulous- lean but very juicy and flavorful. We know they will be moving in a year or so. Sure hope they settle somewhere we can still visit!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beDiningoutVIPDined on 10/12/2014The only thing I can say is it's not as good as it used to be. The server was not up to par and when my husband asked him what he thought of a a particular dish, his response was 'I don't think'. Pretty rude if you ask me and unacceptable. Also, they used to scrape the crumbs from the table between dinner and dessert and that didn't happen either. Sad that service has gone down hill especially since this restaurant was my standard that I based all other restaurants on. No more. The apps were the best thing About our meal!
- Excellent food; great serviceirene2travelDined on 10/12/2014We had a wonderful meal. I tried carpaccio for the first time and it was terrific! The main course fish and chicken dishes were excellent. The chocolate dessert was so yummy it was tempting to order a second. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Buzzing placeEurovisitorDined on 10/12/2014Very popular without being loud. Nice crowd old and young - and in betweens. Food was tasty - steak and eggs with broccoli rabe on the side. Rare steak was served medium but that was only thing to improve. Great desserts. Staff were great. Very few seats by any natural light.Special Features:
- PerfectionDimitriVIPDined on 10/12/2014My wife and I had decided to celebrate our son's being accepted at college, so I made a reservation for Sunday at lunch time. Not only did we have a superb meal, but our waiter was particularly amiable and interesting, not to mention knowledgeable about food and opera. The only disappointment was that our son conveyed to us that he wanted a few more days to make up his mind about where to go next year. Alas, we shall be obliged to return to one of NYC's finest restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.