Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Union Square Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.unionsquarecafe.com/
- Phone: 2122434020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: Noon - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Carmen Quagliata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine
A word from Union Square Cafe
One of America’s most acclaimed and popular restaurants, Danny Meyer’s Union Square Cafe serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer full lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch menus with daily specials in the dining room and at the bar. As Danny Meyer’s first restaurant, Union Square Cafe is the birthplace of a generation of widely lauded, award-winning restaurants, and an enormous number of world-renowned chefs. Union Square Cafe’s iconic food and gracious hospitality changed the restaurant landscape in New York City and continue to set the bar for excellence and innovation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Square Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
655 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (403)special occasion (346)neighborhood gem (304)great for lunch (215)notable wine list (194)great for brunch (147)romantic (138)good for groups (88)hot spot (81)vibrant bar scene (74)kid-friendly (20)late-night find (19)great for outdoor dining (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- wonderful timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary by coming to a great place. The food was very tasty and the service was excellent. We would recommend the restaurant unconditionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep going back!Dlee59VIPDined on 8/25/2014After all these years this is still my go to restaurant. The food, service and hospitality is unsurpassed. The menu is always evolving but my favorites are still available. The wine list and dessert menu continually introduce my palate to new things. I love entertaining here as well. Clients always walk Away eager to return. It's simply the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect breakfast and brunchRabYVIPDined on 8/24/2014very good food, the service is excellent, the best place for brunchSpecial Features:
- Does not disappointkeithtDined on 8/23/2014Went to NYC to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday and made Union Square Cafe the site of our celebration dinner. What a perfect choice. They seated us in the balcony, which was perfect. Had an amazing waiter, wish I could remember his name. The food was absolutely amazing from appetizers all the way to dessert. Just a spectacular meal in a spectacular restaurant. One of NYC's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014We were given a breadbasket after 30 minutes of sitting there and we had to ask for it twice. Coffee took forever and our waiter forgot about a side dish we ordered. They need to improve on the service.Special Features:
- an old favoriteRelentlessVIPDined on 8/22/2014Have known and loved this place since it first opened, best owner, staff, food, bar scene; not pretentious, best pasta EVER, great desserts, service, go here rather than newer hip pretentious places, but so sad it will move...This is even better than Danny's other USHG places, and if you can't get in go to Paris or Italy!Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014This was our first visit to Union Square cafe. We had a great experience, our only criticism would be we found the pacing of the courses to be a bit too quick. We were sat at our table around 9pm and thought we would have a nice leisurely meal. The courses came out much too close together despite trying to explain to our waitress we'd like some time before our mains (only 5min later our mains arrived). There were only 3 tables left in our section at this point. We held off on ordering our dessert so we could digest our food. Everything else was great we just felt kind of rushed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as was a few years agoDreamerDined on 8/20/2014It may be that "less crowded" is "better" but it shouldn't be so. Service was disorganized and although courteous, not up to the standard one would expect from an establishment of this caliber. Food quality was erratic; some dishes were very good indeed but some others were disappointing. In general, not up to the standard of a few years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantNYskierDined on 8/20/2014One of the NYC classics. Sorry to see that they will close in 17 months. Hopefully they will re-open in another neighborhood. It is a great place with outstanding, fresh food, some of it from the Greenmarket across the street.Special Features:
- Union Square Cafe is perfectEllimac22Dined on 8/20/2014What more can I say about this remarkably consistent and cherished gem of a restaurant in Union Square? Let's start with the waitstaff -- perfectly respectful and attentive without being intrusive. The lamb chops are a favorite -- always grilled to perfection and moist and flavorful. The potatoes au gratin and Swiss chard are the perfect companions to the lamb. The swordfish was succulent and fresh with a mélange of vegetables that was delectable. A blueberry crumb pie with oatmeal cookie crust and corn ice cream topped it all off! Perfection! This restaurant has been an "original" in this area of the city and it never disappoints. I'd dine here every day if I could.Special Features:
- So Sad!BariVIPDined on 8/20/2014For the past 30 years it's been a favorite of mine; it's just a pity that the greedy developers have made it necessary for this wonderful restaurant to close. Shame on them!!!!!!!! I do hope we see Union Square Cafe soon again at a new location.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunch - NYC Classic!TBM1213Dined on 8/20/2014I've enjoyed countless meals at the Union Square Cafe over the years, and every one of them has been a special, memorable occasion. Lunch earlier this week at USC was no exception. The soft-shell crab was delicious, and my friend enjoyed pasta with Australian black truffles. Yum! Thanks to this wonderful staff & the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchGretabeckDined on 8/20/2014The BLT with arugula on sourdough bread was amazing. The tuna burger was just okay. Great atmosphere though and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 starsHoangDined on 8/19/2014Went here for a late night birthday dinner with friends. I order the scallop crudo which was good. then the spaghettino with swordfish meatballs- omg this was the most amazing dish! i highly recommend it. I then got the steak which was disappointing. The marrow mash was delicious but my steak was extremely salty. My friend got the lamb which was unbelievably tender and cooked perfectly. I wouldve give the place higher stars had my steak not been salty. The service was good. Cute place, wish the interior was more decorated or something but thats a personal taste. Overall i would come back.Special Features:
- GREAT!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2014Just great, as always. Lovely ambiance, superb delicious food. It will be a significant loss to the neighborhood when this restaurant moves to a new location. They went out of their way to make our anniversary dinner special. We didn't order any dessert and they surprised us with a take away little gift, a box of assorted delicious cookies, 1 brownie, and 1 blondie.Special Features:
- Never DisappointingnotoutallthetimeVIPDined on 8/19/2014We visited Union Square Cafe three weeks ago with friend, but returned for a special dinner just as a couple this week. I do not view us as foodies, but we appreciate a nice meal and chance to talk. We actually ordered four appetizers, to come two at a time and a pasta to come after that (with dessert to follow). Our waiter timed it perfectly. We ordered a bottle of Chablis, which the Sommelier figured out was not cooled enough (which I attest to). So they comp'ed us two glasses of Chablis while it chilled. Impeccable service. Great food and ambiance. Not inexpensive, but reasonable for the value. One of New York's treasures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and waiter service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014We had an excellent waiter (name escapes me) that had recommendations that were spot on for both food and wine. Even got the ingredients of the very tasty bread dip (chef called it "duqqa") when we asked. Main dish (salmon) took a little long to arrive. Also, we were seated at first at a table right near a restroom, when the entire section was empty at 5:45PM. Otherwise, fantastic experience. Sad to see this neighoborhood gem leaving soon due to losing its lease.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AcclaimedfamgalDined on 8/19/2014USC is the perfect place to catch up at lunch with younger family members who appreciate quality dishes well-prepared. Service is always attentive, never obsequious. Salmon burgers, lamb chop and heirloom tomato salad - irresistible.Special Features:
- Consistently goodBAMdinerDined on 8/18/2014Meals at Union Square Cafe are always a special treat. I highly recommend the lamb chops. The wait staff here is always friendly and makes you feel welcome. Just one complaint this time: The air-conditioning was turned up too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So lovely for so long a timeGirasoleVIPDined on 8/18/2014Recently we had lunch at USC. It is a special occasion place for us, and has been for over 20 years. This lunch was just for us, to soothe during a hard time, and it was perfect in every possible way. Corn soup (how could anything so simple be so delicious?) the best hamburger in NYC (or possibly the world), raspberry-thyme sorbet, and iced matcha (!) I love matcha, and how delightful to find it there, well-made. And our server paid attention to my allergies without making a fuss or a difficulty.Special Features:
- DarrenDFCinNYCDined on 8/18/2014The BLT was creative and delicious. We had group of 6 for business lunch and wanted to try it before it's closure at year end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slipped quite a bitReluctantVIPDined on 8/18/2014Had lunch. The restaurant slipped quite a bit. Presentation was better than food and Service was a step slow, not quite worthy of the legendary name.Special Features:
- FoodfreakfoodfreakDined on 8/17/2014Love, love, love this place! Food is fantastic, wait staff very attentive.Special Features:
- Enjoying a standardOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/17/2014The staff could not have been friendlier or more attentive. The food was excellent. I enjoyed a stone fruit salad and wild salmon with a fresh corn polenta. The only disappointing thing was the blueberry pie we had for dessert. Otherwise, go, go, go before it leaves this location.
- Great night at Union Square CafeEduardoDined on 8/15/2014Great food, great service, nice place, nice night there.Special Features:
- Good food very good serviceTarejaDined on 8/15/2014I Had The lamb and it was very good . My daughter Had The spaghetti and found it too many spices . The service was really very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- USC ALWAYS SUPERLATIVEAlexis2Dined on 8/15/2014As usual, USC never fails to provide a unique experience. EVERYTHING works: service, beverages, food, ambience. It doesn't get any better than this NYC...totally without pretension!!Special Features:
- Wow, a great meal!DaveDined on 8/15/2014Hard to say anything when the the food and staff were near perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!srm8VIPDined on 8/14/2014Appetizer, Fried pig ears. We did'nt enjoy it. Main Course, Steak and Ricotta Gnochi... Excellent Dessert, Banana tart... Again we did'nt enjoy it. Overall, its one of those places you can skip as there are excellent restaurants in the city where all three courses will be excellent for the same price.
- Always a pleasureJessVIPDined on 8/14/2014Always a pleasure to dine here Service is delightful and food delicious and unpretentiousSpecial Features:
- TravelerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Cant figure out what the fuss is all about; its perfectly ok but no reason to rave i could see. Menu is dull, service lacks the special feeling you get in other Meyer spots, space is tired, etc
- Excellent!hockeymomDined on 8/13/2014Everyone was accomodating, and very pleasant from the minute we walked in!! The food was delicious!! If I had any complaint at all it would be that we are big eaters and the portions were on the smaller side for us but certainly adequate. The lamb chops were soooo yummy! Just sad they will have to be moving locations next year.Special Features:
- Pleseantly SuprisedMyopinionDined on 8/13/2014I really enjoyed this restaurant. The food was Awesome. The server was right on par with the quality of the meal. Nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brothers 26th BirthdayBevhead2292Dined on 8/12/2014Our experience was absolutely incredible. I am a Cornell Hotelie concentrating on F&B who always dreamed of dining at Danny Meyers first restaurant, and it lived up to that dream. My brother, was also blown away due to never receiving such hospitality while dining before. The experience was unreal and absolutely once in a lifetime. So happy I chose Union Square to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous703jamesVIPDined on 8/11/2014This is an outstanding food establishment. Terrific in all ways - service, food, ambience. Looking forward to our next dinner at Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go before it closesyummycriticVIPDined on 8/11/2014While there are a ton of great restaurants in NYC, there are only a very select few that possess excellence in the key components that make the dining experience a memorable one: service/knowledgeable staff, food & drinks, and ambiance. Union Square Cafe is one of them. I hope that many others will get to enjoy USC before the current location closes due to a greedy landlord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingILoveToEat2Dined on 8/11/2014I have been so looking forward to trying out this neighborhood gem/legend before it closed it's door and while the service was good the food was not. The ravioli was pretty tasteless even though the presentation was pretty. The polenta was way too sweet. The tuna burger tasted like an average burger we could make at home. I was hoping for yummy.
- ScrumptiousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Heirloom tomatoes appetizer and the egg casserole (I forget the name) ... oh my were they tasty. The eggs, piping hot, which I love. Attentive service. Very nice experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014I have dined here several times and loved it. Sunday brunch with our out of town guests was very disappointing. One BLT arrived with no bacon. A second had scorched bread. The solution was a bread plate of extra bacon which was brought out five minutes later. There was a 45-minute wait between clearing the appetizer and delivering our sandwiches. Our waiter was quite nice but frantic, trying to serve too many tables.Special Features:
- Always brilliantempressnycDined on 8/9/2014Longtime neighborhood residents, we visit once or twice a year for special lunches or dinners. The excellent but unobtrusive service and stellar food are remarkably consistent. A NYC treasure and Union Square icon.Special Features: