Union On Yale
232 Yale Ave
Claremont, CA 91711Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Union On Yale
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.uniononyale.com/
- Phone: 9098335104x
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday11:30am-11:00pm (late night 9:30)
Sunday Brunch 10:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Union On Yale
Union on Yale is a full service restaurant located in Claremont, California. Our food is prepared with the highest quality local meats, poultries, fish and produce. Our patio seating host a bocce ball court and fire pits. At Union on Yale we desire our patrons to enjoy food and drink as it was meant to be enjoyed, by letting the quality of product shine through. Union was created to be a restaurant that would bring food, drink and people together.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Union On Yale - Best Restaurants in Claremont ›
Union On Yale reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (43)neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (25)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (11)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (8)hot spot (8)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- My favorite in Claremont!MarkHVIPDined on 10/3/2014We are in Claremont quite a bit with our son in college there. We almost always grab a meal at Union on Yale. Great bar with well crafted cocktails the food is always well executed. We love the patio in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PattyDined on 10/3/2014Visiting from east coast and found restaurant to be lively, comfortable, and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great neighborhood restaurant.Food was great, wine and mixed drinks complemented the menu. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Simply Awesome !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014A must try if you are in the neighborhood. take it easy attitude is awesome.. nice sitting..and in middle of entertainment area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2014Have loved this place since the day it opened, frequent it often and will continue, very diverse menu with no complaints so far. Great date night or meet with a bunch of friends, always looking for a reason to go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place bad ReceptionistBBLADined on 8/30/2014Had problems with the receptionist, it's the second time. Love the place but I now hesitate when going. Everything else about the place we love. Service other than her is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceclaremontfoodieDined on 7/28/2014We started with Brussels Sprouts and the Mason Jar. The mix of roasted cherry tomatoes and onions mixed with burrata cheese and basil oil was very tasty. We then split the pan roasted garlic chicken. The chicken was tender and flavorful but the creamy polenta and pancetta really made the dish. The server was exceptionally attentive, knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014Don't like their new summer menu but, they still have the best drinks in town.Special Features:
- Used to be a regularA914VIPDined on 7/23/2014Food choices do not change very often.... And they do not accommodate for any changes or substitutions. Service has become hit or miss. It is unfortunate because this could be so great.Special Features:
- Not greatDenagirlVIPDined on 7/20/2014Brunch.. Would have liked a cappuccino but it wasn't possible. Asked for milk instead of cream for the coffee, the server had to check if they had any. Odd. What we ordered was ok, but the prices were high in comparison with portion size. Sat outdoors and the management must regret buying white furniture, it all looked so grubby. Our table was probably clean enough but it was badly stained by general use, and looked altogether very unappealing for the placing of silverware and plates. Service was friendly but amateurish and three simple, poached egg dishes with salady bits etc were very slow to finally appear. Awkward restroom setup, the washbasin basically in the restaurant and communal. Union on Yale wasn't awful, but it was a little bad.
- Good food good drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Loved this place, but when did it become chuckle cheese. There were lots of kids running around the bocci ball coarse. I felt like someone was going to get a ball in the head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better food in claremonttravelerDined on 7/15/2014Great for outdoor dining. Food is consistently good especially the wood fired pizzas and Brussels sprout side (who knew). Chicken can be too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always enjoy eating hereOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/10/2014I always enjoy eating at Union on Yale but wish they had more vegetarian entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Enjoyable eveningmaurtraDined on 7/10/2014Great wine - their California Pinot Noir. There were four of us and we split the Serat(sp?) Salad (loved this,) pizza (yummy) & Garlic Shrimp Pasta. Service was fast & attentive. Loved the outside area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceFoodandwine25Dined on 6/27/2014I reserved the table and even got a confirmation from the restaurant. This was our first time there, and when we got there the hostess couldn't find our reservation then another hostess came by and they looked at each other and whispered that they marked it wrong and have our table to someone else. Our food was bland. As a vegetarian, I got the Uniin expecting it to not have meat and I asked not to have any cheese. They wouldn't add extra veggies or mushrooms because they "prepare their ingredients for each dish". My Boyfriend got the chicken and it was salty. For the price we paid we were expecting it to be amazing but the food was bland. My pizza ended up being a piece of dough with some tomatoe sauce and a ton of arugula.Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Union On Yale reviews archive.
- Drinks and bocceBellaDined on 6/15/2014This is a really fun restaurant for a group. You can play bocce while waiting for your table or in between your drinks and dinner. The food is really good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014We visited for Father's Day brunch, this being a regular favorite of ours. The snotty hostess had lost our reservation and could not care less about it. While I really like this restaurant, I don't need attitude from a careless twenty-something. Once seated (after much argument), the server was delightful, the food was excellent, and we had a nice time. Too bad the experience had to be so diminished by poor service at the start. Whatever you do, do not call to change the number of people in your reservation!Special Features:
- Delicious!Luvqualityfood1Dined on 6/13/2014The best pizza in town! The mini burgers and brussel sprouts were amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor placeOutdoordinerDined on 6/13/2014Excellent service, unique menu selections, whether your having dinner or just hanging out for a drink and appetizers by the fire pit, the outdoor area is relaxing.extensive wine selection. The head chef also delivered orders and spent time with patrons. Casual atmosphere. Another great Claremont restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightCal93Dined on 5/30/2014We were pleasantly surprised to find a table last minute through Open Table. The alcoholic beverages (well drinks) are always great here and so are there main courses. I only wish they had a better salad selection. Service was not terribly great this evening, but it was a very full house (we sat indoors). The noise level made it a bit much, but if you have a chance, sit outdoors where you get less noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!DeliciousfoodDined on 5/30/2014First time here and I loved it! Had a date night out on the patio with my hubby! Food was great a little pricey though! Burrata and tomatoes was awesome! (Mason jar)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yell about Union on YaleBrownFamilyDined on 5/24/2014I want to give a shout out to this restaurant with an eclectic menu that never disappoint for quality or serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceOregonianDined on 5/17/2014The food was very good and the service was outstanding. We were able to change our reservation to a larger group earlier in the day with no problem (which was not easy given it was graduation weekend) and our table was ready for us when we arrived. I did not have the pizza, but I hear the pizza is delicious! Fish was fresh and cooked perfectly. Loved playing Bocci ball after our meal! Fun evening overall! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and EclecticBirthdayGirlVIPDined on 5/10/2014The combination of a talented chef, interesting menu, superb mixologist and pleasant outside dining area make this a very fun spot to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carne-centric bistrot!FoodgroupieDined on 5/10/2014Entrees are overwhelmingly pork or beef. The one chicken dish has pancetta accenting the accompanying Brussels sprouts! One fish dish and one duck selection. The duck breast was delicious and the corn and black rice side was wonderful. A garnish of tomato jam was great but could have been a bit warmer. Salads are tiny and Pizzas are huge and again overwhelmingly porcine-oriented...we like spicy Asian or veggie styles. Not enough on the menu to tempt us back on a regular basisSpecial Features:
- our local favoritembass100Dined on 4/29/2014had dinner tuesday night for my wife's birthday. Had the wedge salad and sauteed brussel sprouts for appetizers. For dinner, my wife and I shared the 18-0nce niemen ranch steak and the kids shared a pizza. All the food was wonderful as usual. My wife also had a cocktail while I had a beer. Union on Yale never dissappoints, the drinks are fantastic and all the food is terrific, especially the pizzas. The atmosphere is very fun, also, especially the bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the romantic and adventurousJohnKDined on 4/20/2014Great spot to to sit by the fire pit and have a drink and people watch. Food is excellent. Very romantic. Sometimes I will just come here by myself and have a drink and the Seurat Salad seated outside near the fire. Best if you order a variety of things and share. If there are three or more try the fried chicken with mashed potatoes and kale. YUM. NOT the place if you are in a hurry or if your friends are picky eaters or like a more traditional dining experience. I do have friends who absolutely will not go here. It is a bit pricey and slow. But if I what cheap and fast (which admittedly often I do), I go to Norms. For an adventurous and romantic evening give it a try!! You may just have another favorite restaurant!!!Special Features:
- ShelleySVIPDined on 4/19/2014Good wait staff and decent quality of ingredients. I had a good arugula salad that was not overdressed, good oysters, and a disappointing steak that was cooked rare when I requested medium. Even though we couldn't eat 1/3 of the very expensive steak because it was completely rare instead of medium, and even though we told the waiter that, all we got was an apology. The place is ok. I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, but if I was in town I might have a salad, small plate, and cocktail there. The big plates like the steak are too risky though given my experience
- Dinner with friendsJAMSDined on 4/19/2014Went to dinner with friends on Saturday night. Service was exceptional. Food was good (steak was too chewy, but the chicken was done well) and I would highly recommend their honey ice cream! In hindsight I should have asked for a table outdoors. Indoors doesn't make for a good dining experience. Entirely too loud. Not enough sound dampening indoors for patrons to carry a conversation and that was frustrating. Especially when the establishment cranks the music up throughout the dining room. Creates more of a bar scene that bleeds into the dining area. I have nothing against bars, just expected to be able to carry on a conversation with friends.Special Features:
- Very consistentFranandBenVIPDined on 4/18/2014My husband and I eat at Union on Yale often and are never disappointed. The food and drinks are always consistently good.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesAmyCVIPDined on 4/11/2014We come here often and always enjoy ourselves, whether it's brunch with the family or a nice dinner for two. The Pimm's Cup is one of the best I've ever had (watch out Parker Palm Springs!). I cannot go there without having the Mason Jar appetizer, so simple but so delicious. We had the O.G. Fried Chicken for the first time and it was delicious. Another new thing we tried was the Lemon Profiteroles, they are in my opinion Union's best dessert yet and perfect for summer. I love sitting outside and I deduct one star from ambience simply because sitting inside is not an option for me, as the acoustics make it so loud I can't hear myself think. It's a small thing and if you don't mind sitting outside, it's lovely. Overall simply wonderful!Special Features:
- Even in Crowded ClaremontSnusserDined on 4/6/2014When dining outside, it feels like a neighborhood bistro in Europe. I have celebrated my birthday with 8 family members, had brunch with my husband and two dear friends, enjoyed lunch with a girlfriend, and every time I come away feeling content and happy. The food is unconventional, yet delicious and satisfying. They frown on substitutions and you soon find that it's just not necessary to ask for any. The waitstaff is attentive and fun. I could go on and on with compliments, but the bottom line is this is a neighborhood gem where you can carry on a conversation while watching patrons play bocci ball or watching the world go by. Thank you, Union on Yale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can't miss with this place.EspinosaDined on 3/29/2014The staff is the best. They are nice and fun and treat you with respect. I enjoyed the outdoor dining while watching the kitchen prepare my excellent meal. The chef came out and gave use a little amuse bouche for the table. Everything was delivered at the right time and temperature. Every table seemed to be having a good time. There is a bocce court in the middle of the outdoor dining area that a lot of people were playing and having a terrific time at. Come for great food and a good time.Special Features:
- A FavoriteGeebrrDined on 3/21/2014This pleasant little cafe is one of our favorite places in Claremont. It's great for a quiet lunch and great to visiting with friends. The food is unique for the area, delicious and reliable. The Bianca pizza is to die for, but everything is excellent. I wish they would re-introduce the amazing chocolate mousse (sort of) desert they had when they first opened, but apparently that particular staff genius moved on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finger lickin good in ClaremontOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/20/2014Union on Yale always offers interesting food choices in their menus. They choose combinations of ingredients which are creative. Based on a suggestion, we shared the fried chicken. It was the perfect mix of spice with moist chicken. The batter and coating was crispy and yet light. The chicken pieces were the right size and the portion offered more than enough for two. (We brought some home) The mashed potatoes mixed with swiss chard and kale were so fabulous!!! Our server was helpful and attentive. She even offered a blanket for a southern california March outside dining evening. I look forward to discovering another new taste treat on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Timer UnderwhelmedTones52Dined on 3/15/2014This was our 1st time at Union on Yale and we chose to eat out on the patio since it was a warm, sunny afternoon. Arrived at 6:00 and were seated on the north side of the patio where the bright, setting sun hit us pretty hard. So best to sit on the south end of the patio until the sun sets. I had the ox-tail and my wife and friend had the shrimp pasta dish. The dishes were okay but not anything that made you feel like a "Wow, this is great!" At a nearby table we saw a pizza that was ordered and that looked like something we'd try should we come back again. Service was okay but not attentive. It does get busy as the evening wears on so reservations would be advisable.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsFranandBenVIPDined on 3/14/2014We have dined here many times, and Union on Yale never disappoints. The food is great and the casual vibe makes it a very comfortable spot to hang out awhile. They definitely should add more heaters outside along the front and north side of the bocce ball court.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting BeginningArtemisVIPDined on 3/14/2014We were a little early for our reservation. We were originally seated outside in an area without a heater and it was getting cooler as the sun went down. The server wasn't too helpful when we asked if we could move to a more sheltered or warm area or inside the restaurant. We ordered some drinks and thought about leaving without dinner. We finally contacted the hostess and she offered to move us inside. The new server was very gracious and took our order shortly. The soup was potato cheese, with a crusty bread, very warming. The grouper was excellent, prepared with a sweet potato gratin and the Hanger steak with fingerling potatoes was a hit as well. Probably will give this another shot, just have to be specific on the seating preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problems from the startPlanchetteDined on 3/9/2014I do not usually bag on restaurants, but...Union on Yale had some serious problems with Sunday brunch service. In a nutshell...had a reservation at noon. On the phone, restaurant SUGGESTED a table on patio in the shade. Arrived. Table not in shade, in broiling sun. Asked to be moved. Took 30 to 40 minutes to move, while left in broiling sun and other people are given shady tables. Once moved, service continued at a snail's pace. When food arrived, included two orders of burnt French toast. "Is this chocolate French toast, Dad?" "No, it's burnt, but choke it down or we'll never get out of here." Out by 2:30! Talk about a leisurely breakfast.
- great findpunchVIPDined on 3/8/2014I was visiting my son who goes to college in Claremont. I am from NYC and consider myself a foodie. I took my son and three friends out for dinner. We all loved it, everything was delicious, the ambiance was great and we really enjoyed playing Bocci.Special Features: