659 Dauphin Street
Mobile, AL 36602Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2514320300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Shannon Walker 2514320300
A word from Union
Nestled in the Loda district of Mobile, Union has provided excellent food, service, and an intimate atmosphere since 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Union - Best Restaurants in Mobile ›
Union reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)romantic (10)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (8)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- MidtownDinerDined on 8/15/2014The Union potatoes are a must. Stockyard burger was also tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food!PattiLAVIPDined on 7/25/2014After a 4 hour drive on our way to Florida we stopped in Mobile and looked for a steakhouse using our OpenTable app. We made the right decision by choosing Union Restaurant. The fried green tomatoes appetizer is a must, best I've ever had. My husband who normally doesn't even like tomatoes was also pleasantly surprised. The steaks with the assortment of sauce selections were quite good. We finished it off with their creme de menthe dessert ice cream "grasshopper" which comes in the form of a thick shake. Mmmm, wanted another one on the way back the next day but they are closed Sunday and Monday. Our server Tom was very attentive and professional who knew the menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillWillDined on 7/22/2014Loved personal attention, felt like private dining when restaurant was full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FoodieKatDined on 7/17/2014Went here before a concert. We had the fried green tomatoes: large slices of the tomatoes, deep fried with shrimp on top and a sauce that was so good, not a drop was left on the plate. We both had the 12 oz. ribeye, cooked medium. It was perfection on a plate. Though it was served with several sauces, to use one of them, to me, would have been heresy. Union also have these small golden potatoes called Union potatoes. They are flash fried and have a garlicy outer coating, a soft inside, and are served with an aioli. Union is a small place - so if there is a group of people there, it could be noisy. If not, it can be romantic and quaint. We will be back.Special Features:
- Really excellent food and serviceDukeDaveVIPDined on 6/25/2014Gourmet steaks and other entrees are perfection at Union. Their take on fried green tomatoes with shrimp is best ever. Craig & co provided friendly and professional service. Our large party ate early but were surprised it was not more crowded. A real gem in downtown Mobile. Go there. You will thoroughly enjoy it.Special Features:
- UnionglennbobDined on 6/17/2014Great place with wonderful wine and food. Sherry was outstanding server and bar tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 24 reviews are from the Union reviews archive.
- Very Good ChoicegoodVIPDined on 5/17/2014If you are downtown this place is worth visiting for a steak. Nice selection of traditional steakhouse items with a few French-style additions. We had the filet and dry-aged KC strip. I will say that the dry-aged KC was a bit over dried and the spinach surely had too much duck fat (pooled up in plate) but other than that everything was quite nice and the service/ambience was competent.
- Can't wait to eat there againDeliciousDined on 5/7/2014Owner's presence is great. She is extremely inviting and engaging without being too much. Food was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinkieDined on 5/2/2014A really nice meal. We were in Mobile for one night and I am glad I found Union on OT. I can recommend the carpaccio. Being on the gulf, a fish course would be nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to look forward to.2onthetownDined on 4/18/2014Big restaurant feel, in a neighborhood setting. Our table felt like a cozy little quiet getaway spot, with an attentive server, who was there only when we needed one. Food was well-prepared and very tasty, and served just the right temperature. Can't wait to go back and show my girlfriend another good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Thumbs UpJPMPTSGSDined on 4/12/2014Had a great dinner with friends on 4/12/14. The food was outstanding and the entire staff from the owner on down was very attentive. Our server, Hunter, deserves special mention for his outstanding service. We highly recommend it and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceCagleDined on 4/10/2014My husband and I had the ribeye steaks, which were delicious. All the sides were good as well. I think what I liked the most, though, was the bread and butter. Our waiter was excellent and did a great job of taking care of us. We will go back soon!Special Features:
- Thumbs up!!!EddieDeCaliDined on 3/29/2014This was the second time dining at the Union... And again a very pleasant evening, this is truly a neighborhood gem!!! I had the French onion soup which was really tasty, and the filet was tender and cooked perfectly... I also indulged with the bread pudding, fabulous... The server was very attentive and had a very welcoming, upbeat attitude. He recommended a great pairing of wine, for the meal selected. I give this place two thumbs up and I will be returning!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not pretentiousLnpepperDined on 3/29/2014Best steakhouse in town. Do not pass up green tomato appetizer. Kitchen seems to struggle to get food out but it is superb when it arrives. Small size and leisurely pace make for a fine evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mobile's BestConsistentTravelerVIPDined on 3/14/2014I was very pleased. I travel extensively and eat steak most everywhere I travel. I had the Ribeye. It was prepared to temp and served hot. Sides were awesome. Spinach and Union Potatoes. Love the way the interior is decorated. I love in West Mobile so it is on the other side of town from me. I pass a similar restaurant that is five minutes away from my house. They have all the makings but miss the mark with their steaks. Union is worth the drive. Keep up the good work. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceEddieDeCaliDined on 3/8/2014Nice little place with a comfortable atmosphere. The food was very tasty and the service was great...Special Features:
- Worth going backMidtownDinerDined on 3/7/2014The veal sweetbreads were fantastic as well as the burgers. Friendly attentive waitstaff.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your Grandpa's steakhouseDelphineDined on 3/3/2014Union is a steakhouse, but there the resemblance to Ruth's Chris begins and ends. A charming renovated building that previously served as the Painters' Union Hall (hence the name), Union serves up top-quality steaks with wonderful and carefully prepared sides, imaginative apps, and really incredible burgers in an intimate setting. There's always been a fish special when we've eaten there, equally well-prepared (and locally sourced). "Artisanal" cocktails are another treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PotentialJngMobileALDined on 3/2/2014Rib eye allegedly is grass-fed and grain-finished but I had to tell this and confirm it with the waiter. I know that it's mardi gras weekend and the waiter must be tired of getting into the specific details of the menu but this place has potential to be placed on the map. Bread came in 15mins after the orders were taken. The rib eye was good but not your typical melt in your mouth medium rare. I guess it's because being grass fed the marbling isn't that good. Overall, it can be better, up the service a little bit, learn a thing or two at Noja, and people will be lining up for reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. Service wasrhulmeDined on 2/14/2014Food was great. Service was great. Staff was very accommodating. Went there on Valentine's Day, very romantic atmosphere. Have to try the dry aged rib eye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014The staff goes out of their way to make you're experience one of the best you've ever had. A must for Mobile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Great service and the food was excellent, just not outta this world. Filet was good. Bread pudding was outstanding. The restaurant is in an old, small union hall that has been nicely rennovated. Will go back again.Special Features:
- It was great!FLS3Dined on 2/13/2014Atmosphere is perfect for a romantic dinner. The food was excellent. We both had steaks. The Kentucky Buck specialty drink is a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadCharliefoodDined on 2/8/2014Highly recommended by friends. Took 20 minutes to get drinks( martini and wine) Hanger steak was extremely tough. Filet was just ok. Service was so-so. Disappointing
- Excellent EverythingLizPDined on 2/1/2014This quaint gem in downtown Mobile is a "cannot miss"...feels like dining in upscale restaurants in New Orleans! They do not have a large dining room, so make reservations or call ahead. Will continue to return. Food is cooked to perfection; if you want your steak cooked Medium that is what you get- rather than a steak that is ordered Medium and comes out Rare-Med. Rare...Good wine/bar selection, GREAT ATMOSPHERE. Love this restaurant and hope you do, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun little downtown gem withMobileTravelerDined on 1/31/2014Fun little downtown gem with friendly service and good food in a restored building. The owners have continued to bring their little area to life for Mobile.. It's great that the owners have saved and re-purposed several buildings interconnected to each other on their block. Within a two block radius seven good restuarants, four fun bars and several art galleries. You've come a long way Mobile. We were there last on a cold night and tables by the old windows were cold. They moved us to a warmer table with better lighting. Heard others making seating requests based on the same factors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionAlinMobileDined on 12/31/2013The service was excellent and the food prompt. We had a late night seating and the full menu was available except for a couple of optional sauces. The restaurant was full of energy and our waiter, Tom, was excellent. All of the food tasted good, though some was not cooked exactly correct, it was close enough that it did not require returning to the kitchen. Union had a young edge to it, but was comfortable for those of us who were not so young.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Mobile GemRicardeDined on 12/28/2013Best dining experience in Mobile. Food is High quality and prepared to perfection. Great ambiance and service. Price is moderate to expensive but is a great value for the level of quality and service. Overall, one of my favorite dining experiences anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJwxyzVIPDined on 12/24/2013Service was friendly but slow, food was very slow and arrived cold and not good. It was Christmas Eve so we figured the kitchen staff wasn't happy to be working and thus the issues? Drinks are unique and good.
- Great local findDeeADined on 12/17/2013The food was AMAZING, and the service was terrific. Perfect ambience. It's a quite a small venue, so reservations are most likely needed. The only critique I have is that it was extremely difficult to hear due to poor acoustics. I had to speak very loudly across my table of 2. (There was only one other group of 10-ish in the restaurant, which contributed to the problem.) However, I will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.