Union League Cafe
1032 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Union League Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://unionleaguecafe.com/
- Phone: 2035624299x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jean Pierre Vuillermet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether planning a simple luncheon or an elaborate dinner, we look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs. Together these timeless entertaining spaces offer you and your guests a relaxed but elegant ambiance complimented by exquisite service & the refined cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Christina FitzGerald 2037722053
- Cross Street: College Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The parking lot may be entered from crown street. Additional parking may be found at the Schubert Theatre garage at the corner of college and crown streets, or in an additional parking garage found at the corner of crown and high street. These parking spaces are less than a block away from Union League Cafe and all three are within walking distance of the restaurant.
A word from Union League Cafe
Reminiscent of a Paris brasserie it is where old world charm meets the new. Warm and welcoming to New Haven's cafe society, it is located across from Yale University old campus. The restaurant offers menu and ambiance in a casual elegant style. Always using the best ingredients of the moment, Union League Café's food combines French classical traditions with a more contemporary approach to flavors, textures and native ingredients. Local and organic fish, meats, cheeses, produce and rare specialty products from around the world help our chefs create our award-winning cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Union League Cafe - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
Union League Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)fit for foodies (115)romantic (99)notable wine list (93)neighborhood gem (54)great for lunch (47)good for groups (39)scenic view (14)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Excellent SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Staff at the restaurant was courteous and friendly from the moment we walked in the door. Was well lit for a pleasurable dining experience. Wait staff was responsive and made the experience fun. And every single bite of food that crossed the threshold of our mouths from the complimentary cheese puffs before the meal starts to the souffle was like a heavenly song on our tongues for the evening.Special Features:
- Lunch with a friendbertieDined on 10/22/2014The service, staff and food are always beyond compare. It is our favorite spot to celebrate our birthday luncheons. The luncheon steak was superb as was the pistachio creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTIONLovetodoneoutDined on 10/20/2014My fiancée and I went to ULC for a quiet dinner. We were greeted warmly by the front desk and promptly seated at a quaint table. The service was prompt and friendly, extremely attentive without being intrusive. Our server Sherwin was very knowledgable and professional. The food was exceptional from start to finish. I recommend that you go... NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbwineismyfoodgroupDined on 10/17/2014ive dined at the union league for the past 18 years and it never disappoints! The service the food and the ambiance are truly wonderful. It's my home away from home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it thoughtheChucksterDined on 10/17/2014Certainly not a low cost meal, but the food is just the best. Same for the service. This is a special occasion place for us as we seldom manage to escape for less that $130-140 per person including tip.Special Features:
- lovely placeupperwestsiderDined on 10/17/2014We had a fantastic meal here, and if we lived in New Haven I'm sure would dine here all the time. As it is, we're hoping our son chooses to go to Yale, so that we can enjoy many more meals here.Special Features:
- Superb!SuperSpecialVIPDined on 10/17/2014I took my niece out to celebrate her 21st birthday on a crisp autumn Friday. Friendly faces of the host and waitstaff greeted me in the restaurant's spectacular dining room. Our waiter Christopher was generous with his knowledge and displayed caring and kindness throughout the meal. My niece had the chicken club that she said tasted like "magic." The artichoke casserole with delectable gnocchi was extraordinary. I had a Belgian beer, Ethiopian coffee and we shared the petit fours so we can sample the most flavors that these amazing chefs created. My niece and I have pledged to meet at the Union League Cafe every semester until graduation. That's three more visits. Lucky us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateyale201593Dined on 10/16/2014Came here for a friend's bday dinner. Ingredients are fresh and that comes out in the flavor of the food and how the ingredients speak for themselves put together w/ solid execution. Good but not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redemption PlusWestonDined on 10/15/2014Some months ago I was surprised to have a disappointing experience at the UL. I wrote a candid review. On October 15th. my wife and I returned, for lunch, at least in part because I felt that the recent incident was just an outlier, an ineffable "bad day:. I am very glad we did return. The only issue this ti,e was the food. The service and ambiance has never failed. On Wednesday (as on prior visits but one), the food was, sim[;y [ut, excellent. Appetizers: Peekaboo Crab Salad, confit de canard. Mains: sea bass (which I had the last time), steak grille. Deserts: two chocolate creations. Not "good". Excellent. The French Fries and green beans were truly remarkable. Very pleased we "returned"; hope now to once again make it a habit.Special Features:
- Ah, lunchClayDined on 10/15/2014Life is short...so sadly, is the time we have for lunch. That said, lunch should be an great experience, as it always is at the Union League. The food is always good and the service attentive without being intrusive. This most recent time, I had lunch with a person recently arrived in New Haven. I had arrived wearing a Gandhi cap, which when folded, ressembles a napkin. I placed it on the table. I enjoyed myself so thoroughly that I left my cap on the table. I returned a few hours later, but no one had remarked the cap after our departure. However, a waiter took it upon himself to go through all of the table linen from lunch and returned with the cap. That is service.Special Features:
- NotimpressedDined on 10/11/2014Food was excellent from appetizer to dessert. Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I wish Union League's website mentioned it was a limited Prix Fixe menu for Parents Weekend the night I dined there. I was disappointed to discover it wasn't a full menu. The lamb I ordered was very tough, I sent it back and had Striped bass which was very good. Service and desserts were the best parts of the evening.Special Features:
- Saturday pre-show lunchGeneDined on 10/11/2014Room was interesting and comfortable. Wine and beer list above average. Dishes prepared with care. A bit expensive, but makes any day special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Haven EstablishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014A delightful place, with a fabulous wine list and good seasonal dishes. The foie gras appetizer was light and tasty, and the cheese menu was a delight - we had some great selections! Good ambiance and clearly very popular (it was quiet chatty in the dining room!). Our scallop appetizer was overcooked, but the cod and lobster were well done, and the desserts - a ricotta mousse and the profiteroles - were highlights. Staff were friendly, stylish and accommodating.Special Features:
- Excellent in every detailMMVFDined on 10/10/2014We had an amazing dinner from start to finish. We had 5 people and everyone thought their choice of entree was superb. Every detail of the service and food - the cheese, wine, appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts- was excellent. Pricey but you get what you pay for and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodRANILUVFRENCHFOODDined on 10/9/2014Everything was very good. Presentation and service excellent.Special Features:
- Phenomenal all aroundjustaguyDined on 10/9/2014Always a great experience with superb food, wonderful service and a sophisticated ambiance. Go as often as you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014I have lunch quarterly with a group. The Union League Cafe always provides a excellent venue for discussions with great food looking out a large window with gothic Yale across the street. Always a nice experience.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedMerrydinerDined on 10/7/2014I was recently at Union League for lunch with a friend. She has been several times and loves it. I must admit, my preconceived notion was that it might be a bit extravagant for lunch. I was completely wrong. First impression was positive as the restaurant is beautiful and not stuffy like I thought it might be. Our waiter was professional and knowledgeable and helped me decide on such a delicious dish. I had the artichokes with gnocchi and it was wonderful. It was so flavorful and light- perfect for lunch. The flavors worked beautifully! I am planning our next visit and am excited for my husband to try it. Thank you for such a lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patgVIPDined on 10/6/2014It took the waiter quite a while to bring our wine. My fish was overcooked. Otherwise ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food in a friendly settingFineDinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014This was our first time at Union League Cafe and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Always outstanding!BillClayDined on 9/29/2014Another fine meal at Union League! Excellent French cooking, exquisite cheeses, and perfect service. I think they've gotten less stuffy over the years too - at least on a Monday night - which is the traditional complaint about this place.Special Features:
- Exquisitet4twoVIPDined on 9/29/2014Service, ambiance and most of all the food - perfectly prepared and presented. Late lunch with no rush so we had plenty of time for good conversation with Belon oysters, chilled lobster salad with a tasty glass of Sauvignon Blanc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch, Friday September 26, 2014ClayDined on 9/26/2014We only had an hour to get to the Union League from work, order, eat, pay the check and return to the office. Amazingly enough, it was possible without sacrificing the food and the ambiance for which the Union League can be justifiably proud. The reason: impeccable first-rate service. It is true that my two colleagues had sandwiches, done to perfection, but I ordered two appetizers, a fabulous butternut squash soup and my default: duck confit galette. That day, as always, they transported me to a different galaxy! And yet, we got back to work, eight blocks away, on time! If only one could each lunch every day at the Union League! Thanks UL!Special Features:
- Always great for a nice mealJay1395Dined on 9/25/2014Union league cafe is always great for a nice meal. The staff are very knowledgable and the food is something you can find anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!JellybeanDined on 9/25/2014Great food and service! Would recommend to anyone with great taste! Excellent for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLovetodoneoutDined on 9/22/2014The food and service were outstanding!!! The scallop and bacon appetizer are a must have! Everything was perfect from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban League outstandingberleDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful food and impeccable service. The staff there has been very well trained and provides the type of service you expect to get at a fine-dining establishment. Drink prices are a bit steep, so your liquor bill can add up quickly. The high ceilings and hard surfaces make for a noisy room during peak periods, but the architecture is wonderful. Can't wait to back in the winter and get a fireside table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing desserthappyfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014The key reason I kept dining there was the dessert. I LOVE "chocolate mousse with hazelnut biscuit" and "half chocolate half espresso". The baby spinach salad is my favourite, the dressing is so flavoured. I tried "duck config" once and worthy recommending. They don't offer tasting menu, but in fact, if you ask the chef, sometimes you got lucky. I requested once and they offered tasting menu for 4 of us. The lobster and the lamb were awesome. That was the best lamb I had. Even though I ordered lamb another time, it didn't taste as good as I remembered.Special Features:
- RedemptionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Our last dinner visit to Union League Cafe earlier this year didn't go well. The food was excellent but the sevice was terrible and I complained to the management. I thought I wouldn't be returning after many years of patronage. But to my surprise about a week later I got a call from the manager who wanted to discuss my compliants and after listening to my comments, asked us to give them another chance. They offered a luncheon complimentary visit, which we used last week. Am glad to say they redeemed themselves-not only was the food as excellent as ever but the service was the best. We will be continuing this fine restaurant on our regular visitation schedule-you should too!!!!!Special Features:
- One of the best meals I've ever hadTeenfoodieDined on 9/18/2014I went here for my birthday and asked my parents to take me to a French restaurant. They brought me to the best one in Ct, it did not disappoint. The food was the best I've had since I was in France. The food, atmosphere, and service went beyond my expectations and I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal except for...CindybDined on 9/15/2014Had a wonderful meal except for the chickpea fries. Unfortunately, they really had no flavor. The spinach salad and the duck were excellent. The desserts were delicious. Our waiter Samson was excellent and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union League CafekimandifromCtDined on 9/13/2014The food was wonderful. A very good selection on the entire menus from the salads, main courses to the desserts. The wine list was excellent. They took us to our choice of tables right on time. The service was wholehearted and with a smile. Even with today's tight family budgets we are planning to go back soon. A wonderful night in fine dining. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Fabulous French cafeChrisODined on 9/13/2014I admit I am no expert on French cuisine, however I can state that Union League is a fabulous restaurant that lived up to the high expectations I had for it. Ambiance is old school, Yankee Blueblood, however it never felt pretentious and my Converse Low Riders fit in just fine. Started with grilled octopus and squash blossoms. When you visit, GET the octopus. Succulent, tender, savory, just the best. Squash blossoms were good, not outstanding, but flavorful and uniquely prepared. My wife and I shared the Bouillabaisse and it was just amazing. Intricate flavors, fish cooked to perfection, a must order as well. A bit expensive, yes, worth it, absolutely.Special Features:
- Absolutely Fabulous!KathyDVIPDined on 9/12/2014Chose this restaurant because a former student had worked here and recommended it to me. I was not disappointed! To begin, the building itself is a gem, and the atmosphere is very beaux arts and beautiful. The service was attentive but not overly so, and the wait staff is knowledgable about all aspects of the menu and wine list. The wine list is not for the faint of heart, but there are some serious provençal wines to be found here. The food was wonderful, I had a tuna dish, and the quality of the fish was impeccable; it was prepared perfectly. A meal here is an investment, both in time and $, but well worth both in my view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a romantic birthdayNew2NHDined on 9/12/2014It was overall a great night. The wait staff was courteous, responsive. The waiter even overheard me say that there was a birthday, and took the initiative to bring the dessert we had ordered with a candle on it (you prefer not to have the usual birthday shenanigans at restaurants). the food was excellent, and we ordered different courses they were nicely spread out. I'm not sure about how "romantic" the ambience is, but it certainly made the evening special. Absolutely go again for a special night out on the town.Special Features:
- outstandingExperiencedVIPDined on 9/12/2014from the warm greeting to the knowledgeable waiter we felt very welcome and the food was outstanding. Only quibble would be the small size of the cheese course.Special Features:
- Special OccasionJohnDined on 9/8/2014Great food, attentive service, very knowledgeable abut wine. When I've invited guests new to this restaurant, they love it. One said: "I had no idea such a great restaurant existed in New Haven."Special Features:
- Great for business entertainingfoodieVIPDined on 9/8/2014Wonderful meal. Mussels app is a must!! The menu changes but is always wonderful with fresh food.Special Features:
- DinnerMrBobDined on 9/6/2014Put at worst table on corner of busy intersection even though we noted on open table it was our anniversary.Constant waiters going by on both sides often holding tray over my head.Service slow at first but towards end improved.Excellent food and presentation.when paying top dollar would like ambience to match food qualitySpecial Features: