Union League Cafe
1032 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Union League Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://unionleaguecafe.com/
- Phone: 2035624299x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jean Pierre Vuillermet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether planning a simple luncheon or an elaborate dinner, we look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs. Together these timeless entertaining spaces offer you and your guests a relaxed but elegant ambiance complimented by exquisite service & the refined cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Christina FitzGerald 2037722053
- Cross Street: College Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The parking lot may be entered from crown street. Additional parking may be found at the Schubert Theatre garage at the corner of college and crown streets, or in an additional parking garage found at the corner of crown and high street. These parking spaces are less than a block away from Union League Cafe and all three are within walking distance of the restaurant.
A word from Union League Cafe
Reminiscent of a Paris brasserie it is where old world charm meets the new. Warm and welcoming to New Haven's cafe society, it is located across from Yale University old campus. The restaurant offers menu and ambiance in a casual elegant style. Always using the best ingredients of the moment, Union League Café's food combines French classical traditions with a more contemporary approach to flavors, textures and native ingredients. Local and organic fish, meats, cheeses, produce and rare specialty products from around the world help our chefs create our award-winning cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Union League Cafe - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
Union League Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (128)fit for foodies (98)romantic (89)notable wine list (74)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (39)good for groups (28)hot spot (9)scenic view (8)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wanted Morektc1314Dined on 5/8/2015Took us 35 minutes to get our wine (which wasn't what we ordered) and 1.5 hours to get our dinner. Staff and manager were apologetic and in the end did take care of us. Its nice but not the Union League of old. I wished we booked plans elsewhere for what was a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great meal except for...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Had a wonderful meal except for the chickpea fries. Unfortunately, they really had no flavor. The spinach salad and the duck were excellent. The desserts were delicious. Our waiter Samson was excellent and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous French cafeChrisODined on 9/13/2014I admit I am no expert on French cuisine, however I can state that Union League is a fabulous restaurant that lived up to the high expectations I had for it. Ambiance is old school, Yankee Blueblood, however it never felt pretentious and my Converse Low Riders fit in just fine. Started with grilled octopus and squash blossoms. When you visit, GET the octopus. Succulent, tender, savory, just the best. Squash blossoms were good, not outstanding, but flavorful and uniquely prepared. My wife and I shared the Bouillabaisse and it was just amazing. Intricate flavors, fish cooked to perfection, a must order as well. A bit expensive, yes, worth it, absolutely.Special Features:
- Absolutely Fabulous!KathyDVIPDined on 9/12/2014Chose this restaurant because a former student had worked here and recommended it to me. I was not disappointed! To begin, the building itself is a gem, and the atmosphere is very beaux arts and beautiful. The service was attentive but not overly so, and the wait staff is knowledgable about all aspects of the menu and wine list. The wine list is not for the faint of heart, but there are some serious provençal wines to be found here. The food was wonderful, I had a tuna dish, and the quality of the fish was impeccable; it was prepared perfectly. A meal here is an investment, both in time and $, but well worth both in my view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a romantic birthdayNew2NHDined on 9/12/2014It was overall a great night. The wait staff was courteous, responsive. The waiter even overheard me say that there was a birthday, and took the initiative to bring the dessert we had ordered with a candle on it (you prefer not to have the usual birthday shenanigans at restaurants). the food was excellent, and we ordered different courses they were nicely spread out. I'm not sure about how "romantic" the ambience is, but it certainly made the evening special. Absolutely go again for a special night out on the town.Special Features:
- outstandingExperiencedVIPDined on 9/12/2014from the warm greeting to the knowledgeable waiter we felt very welcome and the food was outstanding. Only quibble would be the small size of the cheese course.Special Features:
- Special OccasionJohnDined on 9/8/2014Great food, attentive service, very knowledgeable abut wine. When I've invited guests new to this restaurant, they love it. One said: "I had no idea such a great restaurant existed in New Haven."Special Features:
- Great for business entertainingfoodieVIPDined on 9/8/2014Wonderful meal. Mussels app is a must!! The menu changes but is always wonderful with fresh food.Special Features:
- DinnerMrBobDined on 9/6/2014Put at worst table on corner of busy intersection even though we noted on open table it was our anniversary.Constant waiters going by on both sides often holding tray over my head.Service slow at first but towards end improved.Excellent food and presentation.when paying top dollar would like ambience to match food qualitySpecial Features:
- Fantastique!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Expensive, but worth every penny. We loved the fine dining experience and the French cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union League New HavenBarryDined on 9/6/2014Prompt seating. Attentive wait staff. Good food. Main room was exceptionally noisy. If possible dine in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014The service was wonderful. Great experience as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Actually, not all that expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still our favoritetwodoxDined on 8/30/2014Whenever we have an event to celebrate, we have dinner at the Union League Cafe. We know we will have a marvelously dinner, beautifully served in an elegant setting. We have never been disappointed, and our most recent visit was no exception. A true gem. My wife's lamb was beautifully presented and succulent, and my tuna was perfectly spiced and melted in my mouth. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, wonderful timeshellaphantDined on 8/29/2014Easily the best lobster I have ever had. all courses were delicious, the food is pricey - but we expected that. got all dressed up fancy and went for a nice romantic dinner. Waiter was attentive and helpful, wine was delicious, atmosphere is calm and personal. Zero complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FrenchilikefoodtoomuchVIPDined on 8/28/2014Fabulous French food, transported to Paris. Delicious duck confit, pasta with truffle oil, lobster with chanterelles. Desserts to die for-strawberry tart, grand marnier soufflé, profiteroles. Ou la la !Special Features:
- Sadly disappointedVeggieFanDined on 8/26/2014Over the years The a Union League Cafe has been a very special place to dine when we celebrated wonderful occasions. So it was with much anticipation that we brought some friends who had never been to the Cafe previously. Two of us had the risotto. It was bland. Two of us ordered the chicken. One serving was under cooked and neither serving was prepared as described on the menu. The wait staff was less than attentive. I can only hope that it was just an off night at a usually fine restaurant and not that they are resting on their laurels. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be celebrating again at The cafe.
- Splendid as usualSimplyDevineDined on 8/25/2014We ate dinner probably for the 12th time in the last 3 years and, dinner has always been excellent. The duck confit watercress salad was absolutely delicious! The salad is a signature dish and it never fails. The gazpacho was very refreshing on a warm night topped with avocado. The filet of beef was cooked to perfection with a side order of French fries. I will be back in New Haven in 3 weeks and will definitely be back for dinner. I have never had a bad meal at Union League!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodfoody5Dined on 8/23/2014The food was absolutely fabulous and the occasion was memorable. I had the filet mignon and my husband had the lobster. The service was excellent. We were delighted with our dining experience and would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet foodgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014The taste of the food was truly on a gourmet level. Complex mixture of flavors for a gastronomical experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous Meal at Union League Cafe!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014My son & I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Union League Cafe to celebrate the beginning of his Grad school year at Yale. From the appetizers to the dessert - everything was fabulous!! Dennis was a great waiter who went out of his way to make sure we had a memorable evening. We are already making plans to go there again in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better every timeLovetodoneoutDined on 8/20/2014Excellent service, excellent food, consistently the best ct has to offer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usual Outstanding ExperienceWillieDined on 8/20/2014Certainly one of if not the most outstanding restuarant in New Haven - the food is always terrific and the service is at the top - lucn is a special joy.Special Features:
- Worth it.ctahoremanDined on 8/19/2014A special occasion turned out very special indeed. Beautiful and stately dining room. The foie terrine is exceptional, the potato gnocchi clouds of perfection. And the waiter was good humored and extremely knowledgeable. It's expensive, but like too few restaurants today, it's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulsshelleyDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Everything is delicious. I always look forward to eating here. It is a place that creates an environment of being cared for with professional service and delightful cuisine.Special Features:
- wildly overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/14/2014This place is a joke. Food was boring and executed inconsistently, e.g., duck trimmed badly and two items overpowered by garlic. But real problem was condescending yet incompetent service. E.g.: appetizers served nearly 40 minutes after orders taken, but then amuse bouche was served *during* appetizer course; waiter spilled one amuse while serving it, then knocked over water glass trying to catch amuse, but didn't apologize or clean anything until *after* appetizer course, when water started streaming from table all over wife's dress; waiter finally said, "I guess I should clean this up," to which I responded, "You need to move us to another table"; he did, and only then did he finally bring us the alternately flaccid and stale bread.
- Lovely dinner in New HavenWestportDinerDined on 8/14/2014Very good restaurant in the heart of New Haven with a surprisingly excellent vibe, decor, menu and wine list. Especially noting the variety of mains including vegetarian and will make specials for those with specific requirements (such as vegan, gluten free etc)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner!!Rom1FRDined on 8/14/2014My family was visiting for few days, I brought them to Union League Cafe knowing that my parents love French food. I couldn't be more right, really nice ambiance, amazing food and service. All the ingredients united to spend a night out and enjoy a dinner together. Thank you to the UlC Team, well done guys!Special Features:
- Maintains consistently high stdRistoranteUomoVIPDined on 8/13/2014One of our favorites. Union League is one of Connecticut's top restaurants and has been for years. The food is always exceptional, the service impeccable and the place itself beautiful. Menus change seasonally and there are always two or three special selections of interest, not just the same "specials" that are read over and over again like many places. We eat here often (1++ times a month) and it is consistently good. One thing that i have noticed lately is high staff turnover. While the new wait staff appears to be well versed in the menu selections it is like restarting at a place you've never been to each time as new people get to know you all over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Haven gem!medalpersonDined on 8/12/2014As as Yale graduate with many connections to the university, I have traveled to New Haven often, and have done so in the past. There has been no better or more consistent restaurant in the city than the Union League Cafe. As the restaurant scene in New Haven has improved with the addition of a number of good choices, the Union League Cafe has maintained its position at the head of the list. The ambience is tranquil, comfortably decorated, and conducive to fine dining and conversation. The food is always excellent, both for lunch and dinner. I have dined there both individually with friends and as part of a group, and the quality never flags. In addition, the service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Haven classicWiltondinerDined on 8/8/2014The Union League Café is the go to spot for my wife and me for special occasions. The food is always outstanding, the service attentive and the surroundings have an old world charm.Special Features:
- A Classic ExperienceBacchusDined on 8/7/2014Went to UNC to celebrate two birthdays, an engagement and an anniversary. It was a great experience. The food was creatively prepared and cooked to perfection. The service was impeccable. After we had selected a great bottle of wine for under $50 our waiter recommended an equally priced, and delicious second bottle for the same price. He didn't suggest one out of our comfort zone. It seems like a small thing but it reflects badly upon a restaurant when the waiter is more of a salesperson than a host. We appreciated his sensitivity and professionalism. It's a bit pricy but worthwhile for a treat or special occasion. If you're a foodie then ULC is a "must" destination.Special Features:
- Unexpected FindBistromanDined on 8/7/2014Having just moved to Connecticut from Los Angeles we were anxious to find an exceptional restaurant that we would be able to rely on in the future. We had to be in New Haven on business, and checked the Zagat Guide for dining in downtown New Haven. The high Zagat ratings for the Union League Café were well deserved. Exceptional wines were complemented by very well prepared dishes. My marinade appetizer was subtle but especially flavored with fresh herbs. My main course of steamed striped bass was perfectly cooked with subtle but aromatic seasonings. My wife's zucchini flowers were exceptional, although her steak entrée was difficult to cut. Nonetheless it was very tasty with the nicely prepared Béarnaise sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Couldn't ask for better service and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatmansourDined on 8/6/2014Beautiful setting, veru good waitstaff and delicious food. All around a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerctsoundDined on 8/2/2014Notable wine list. Flavor composition was wonderful in both dishes we had. Lovely raspberry soufflé for dessert.Special Features:
- MaxwellnjDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful food that is not over fussy. Service excellent and not suffocating. Will recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentWestonDined on 8/1/2014Our Friday evening party of four were disappointed by the food. I started with the octopus (cold, rubbery. mercifully small) and then had a striped bass special (almost room temperature -or coolrt - dry and chewy). The chocolate dessert, while visually appealing, included ice cream that was melting and what appeared to be, truth told, cheap chocolate. Not good. But, we had good company. enjoyed good service and appreciated the ambience. I will not return if anything else (Mory's) is available.
- East Coast ReviewerECR1Dined on 7/30/2014Excellent food, service and ambience. The steamed bass special was ambrosial; the grand marnier souffle outstanding.Special Features:
- consistently excellent foodBronteDined on 7/28/2014Excellent food, French inflected, served well in a lovely setting. Bright, sunny space for lunch.Special Features: