Union League Cafe
1032 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Union League Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://unionleaguecafe.com/
- Phone: 2035624299x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jean Pierre Vuillermet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether planning a simple luncheon or an elaborate dinner, we look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs. Together these timeless entertaining spaces offer you and your guests a relaxed but elegant ambiance complimented by exquisite service & the refined cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Christina FitzGerald 2037722053
- Cross Street: College Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The parking lot may be entered from crown street. Additional parking may be found at the Schubert Theatre garage at the corner of college and crown streets, or in an additional parking garage found at the corner of crown and high street. These parking spaces are less than a block away from Union League Cafe and all three are within walking distance of the restaurant.
A word from Union League Cafe
Reminiscent of a Paris brasserie it is where old world charm meets the new. Warm and welcoming to New Haven's cafe society, it is located across from Yale University old campus. The restaurant offers menu and ambiance in a casual elegant style. Always using the best ingredients of the moment, Union League Café's food combines French classical traditions with a more contemporary approach to flavors, textures and native ingredients. Local and organic fish, meats, cheeses, produce and rare specialty products from around the world help our chefs create our award-winning cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Union League Cafe - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
Union League Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)fit for foodies (95)romantic (82)notable wine list (71)neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (42)good for groups (29)scenic view (8)great for brunch (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Wanted Morektc1314Dined on 5/8/2015Took us 35 minutes to get our wine (which wasn't what we ordered) and 1.5 hours to get our dinner. Staff and manager were apologetic and in the end did take care of us. Its nice but not the Union League of old. I wished we booked plans elsewhere for what was a special occasion.Special Features:
- Sadly disappointedVeggieFanDined on 8/26/2014Over the years The a Union League Cafe has been a very special place to dine when we celebrated wonderful occasions. So it was with much anticipation that we brought some friends who had never been to the Cafe previously. Two of us had the risotto. It was bland. Two of us ordered the chicken. One serving was under cooked and neither serving was prepared as described on the menu. The wait staff was less than attentive. I can only hope that it was just an off night at a usually fine restaurant and not that they are resting on their laurels. Unfortunately, I do not think we will be celebrating again at The cafe.
- Splendid as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We ate dinner probably for the 12th time in the last 3 years and, dinner has always been excellent. The duck confit watercress salad was absolutely delicious! The salad is a signature dish and it never fails. The gazpacho was very refreshing on a warm night topped with avocado. The filet of beef was cooked to perfection with a side order of French fries. I will be back in New Haven in 3 weeks and will definitely be back for dinner. I have never had a bad meal at Union League!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014The food was absolutely fabulous and the occasion was memorable. I had the filet mignon and my husband had the lobster. The service was excellent. We were delighted with our dining experience and would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet foodgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014The taste of the food was truly on a gourmet level. Complex mixture of flavors for a gastronomical experience.Special Features:
- Fabulous Meal at Union League Cafe!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014My son & I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Union League Cafe to celebrate the beginning of his Grad school year at Yale. From the appetizers to the dessert - everything was fabulous!! Dennis was a great waiter who went out of his way to make sure we had a memorable evening. We are already making plans to go there again in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better every timeLovetodoneoutDined on 8/20/2014Excellent service, excellent food, consistently the best ct has to offer!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usual Outstanding ExperienceWillieDined on 8/20/2014Certainly one of if not the most outstanding restuarant in New Haven - the food is always terrific and the service is at the top - lucn is a special joy.Special Features:
- Worth it.ctahoremanDined on 8/19/2014A special occasion turned out very special indeed. Beautiful and stately dining room. The foie terrine is exceptional, the potato gnocchi clouds of perfection. And the waiter was good humored and extremely knowledgeable. It's expensive, but like too few restaurants today, it's well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulsshelleyDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Everything is delicious. I always look forward to eating here. It is a place that creates an environment of being cared for with professional service and delightful cuisine.Special Features:
- wildly overratedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/14/2014This place is a joke. Food was boring and executed inconsistently, e.g., duck trimmed badly and two items overpowered by garlic. But real problem was condescending yet incompetent service. E.g.: appetizers served nearly 40 minutes after orders taken, but then amuse bouche was served *during* appetizer course; waiter spilled one amuse while serving it, then knocked over water glass trying to catch amuse, but didn't apologize or clean anything until *after* appetizer course, when water started streaming from table all over wife's dress; waiter finally said, "I guess I should clean this up," to which I responded, "You need to move us to another table"; he did, and only then did he finally bring us the alternately flaccid and stale bread.
- Lovely dinner in New HavenWestportDinerDined on 8/14/2014Very good restaurant in the heart of New Haven with a surprisingly excellent vibe, decor, menu and wine list. Especially noting the variety of mains including vegetarian and will make specials for those with specific requirements (such as vegan, gluten free etc)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner!!Rom1FRDined on 8/14/2014My family was visiting for few days, I brought them to Union League Cafe knowing that my parents love French food. I couldn't be more right, really nice ambiance, amazing food and service. All the ingredients united to spend a night out and enjoy a dinner together. Thank you to the UlC Team, well done guys!Special Features:
- Maintains consistently high stdRistoranteUomoVIPDined on 8/13/2014One of our favorites. Union League is one of Connecticut's top restaurants and has been for years. The food is always exceptional, the service impeccable and the place itself beautiful. Menus change seasonally and there are always two or three special selections of interest, not just the same "specials" that are read over and over again like many places. We eat here often (1++ times a month) and it is consistently good. One thing that i have noticed lately is high staff turnover. While the new wait staff appears to be well versed in the menu selections it is like restarting at a place you've never been to each time as new people get to know you all over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Haven gem!medalpersonDined on 8/12/2014As as Yale graduate with many connections to the university, I have traveled to New Haven often, and have done so in the past. There has been no better or more consistent restaurant in the city than the Union League Cafe. As the restaurant scene in New Haven has improved with the addition of a number of good choices, the Union League Cafe has maintained its position at the head of the list. The ambience is tranquil, comfortably decorated, and conducive to fine dining and conversation. The food is always excellent, both for lunch and dinner. I have dined there both individually with friends and as part of a group, and the quality never flags. In addition, the service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Haven classicWiltondinerDined on 8/8/2014The Union League Café is the go to spot for my wife and me for special occasions. The food is always outstanding, the service attentive and the surroundings have an old world charm.Special Features:
- A Classic ExperienceBacchusDined on 8/7/2014Went to UNC to celebrate two birthdays, an engagement and an anniversary. It was a great experience. The food was creatively prepared and cooked to perfection. The service was impeccable. After we had selected a great bottle of wine for under $50 our waiter recommended an equally priced, and delicious second bottle for the same price. He didn't suggest one out of our comfort zone. It seems like a small thing but it reflects badly upon a restaurant when the waiter is more of a salesperson than a host. We appreciated his sensitivity and professionalism. It's a bit pricy but worthwhile for a treat or special occasion. If you're a foodie then ULC is a "must" destination.Special Features:
- Unexpected FindBistromanDined on 8/7/2014Having just moved to Connecticut from Los Angeles we were anxious to find an exceptional restaurant that we would be able to rely on in the future. We had to be in New Haven on business, and checked the Zagat Guide for dining in downtown New Haven. The high Zagat ratings for the Union League Café were well deserved. Exceptional wines were complemented by very well prepared dishes. My marinade appetizer was subtle but especially flavored with fresh herbs. My main course of steamed striped bass was perfectly cooked with subtle but aromatic seasonings. My wife's zucchini flowers were exceptional, although her steak entrée was difficult to cut. Nonetheless it was very tasty with the nicely prepared Béarnaise sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2014Couldn't ask for better service and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatmansourDined on 8/6/2014Beautiful setting, veru good waitstaff and delicious food. All around a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerctsoundDined on 8/2/2014Notable wine list. Flavor composition was wonderful in both dishes we had. Lovely raspberry soufflé for dessert.Special Features:
- MaxwellnjDined on 8/1/2014Wonderful food that is not over fussy. Service excellent and not suffocating. Will recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentWestonDined on 8/1/2014Our Friday evening party of four were disappointed by the food. I started with the octopus (cold, rubbery. mercifully small) and then had a striped bass special (almost room temperature -or coolrt - dry and chewy). The chocolate dessert, while visually appealing, included ice cream that was melting and what appeared to be, truth told, cheap chocolate. Not good. But, we had good company. enjoyed good service and appreciated the ambience. I will not return if anything else (Mory's) is available.
- East Coast ReviewerECR1Dined on 7/30/2014Excellent food, service and ambience. The steamed bass special was ambrosial; the grand marnier souffle outstanding.Special Features:
- consistently excellent foodBronteDined on 7/28/2014Excellent food, French inflected, served well in a lovely setting. Bright, sunny space for lunch.Special Features:
- Best of New HavenWineScriptsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Food,service and setting is impeccable! Everything is prepared exactly the way you want it so don't be afraid to ask! New Haven has some excellent restaurants but this one clearly stand out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We went to dinner recently for my wife's birthday, and had a great time. The food was amazing showing the classic skills employed in the kitchen. The service was excellent but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchLovetodoneoutDined on 7/22/2014The food at the Union League Cafe continues to be the best Connecticut has to offer! Taste,quality,presentation,and service are outstanding. The desserts were out of this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it once wassusanneatkinsVIPDined on 7/18/2014Considering the prices and what it used to be the Union League Cafe has come down a notch. It is still an elegant place with good service and a nice wine list. The food is good, but not outstanding. We were disappointed to see the fries we ordered were not fresh and the desserts went from inedible, a frozen concoction that was completly melted, to less than ordinary. The main courses were quite good, but not outstanding.Special Features:
- great night at the Union LeagueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014The Union League continues to be a place to cherish as a memorable place to spend with family and friends. I was staying in New Haven for a week and had already dined at the Union League another night, but it was the meal on Friday that I will most especially remember. The service was flawless, as our server was helpful and friendly in the ordering process. She was especially superb in choosing out glasses of wine for each of the courses, uncovering a wine that was truly outstanding for the duck entree. The food was outstanding as usual. A corn soup and a tomato soup were well balanced and flavorful, and the lobster and duck entrees complex and satisfying. Chocolate soufflee and strawberry tart were a heavenly way to end the meal.Special Features:
- Union League CafeJustARegularGuyDined on 7/11/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Located in the heart of New Haven and Yale University. Outstanding food and top notch service. We reserve this for special occasions as it is expensive, but always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.LetsGoPlacesAndEatThingsDined on 7/11/2014We had one of the best dinners we have had in a long time at The Union League last week. With the addition of the specials the selection had a nice balance. Traditional items that one would expect in a high end restaurant with some twists, like the pea risotto as an appetizer. Delicious and not as heavy as one would think. We were still able to finish our entrees of duck and filet mignon, cooked to perfection. Our waiter was very attentive and formal. He loosened up as the night progressed, thankfully. His recommendations were spot on. One negative: if I am spending $250 on a dinner for 2, I do not want to see patrons dressed in jeans, polos and sneakers. A dress code of at least business casual should be enforced.Special Features:
- LunchHabibiDined on 7/11/2014Travelling to New Haven we look forward to having lunch at Union League Café. The food in this last lunch experience had a lot to be desires. The lobster salad was miniscule and lacking lobster and taste. The main course BOUILLABAISSE which was described including "Monkfish, squid, mussels, braised fennel, saffron potatoes, rouille and croutons, Provençale fish soup" was too salty and came without the rouille or crouton, the rest of the ingredients included two mussels and small pieces of the other items. We were wondering where the fish soup was. the "Seared New England sea-scallops, fava beans, almonds, Meyer lemon vinaigrette" was excellent just as the deserts were. The service was excellent. The place was as wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of the bestVeggieFanDined on 7/11/2014Union League Cafe lives up to its reputation as the best restaurant in New Haven. The setting is sophisticated and lovely, the food is beautifully presented and delicious. The confit de canard continues to be my favorite appetizer here. Always a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Excellent service - The wait staff was wonderful in remembering what we were celebrating and adding special touches to the dessert.Special Features:
- YOU HAVE TO GO!!LovetodoneoutDined on 7/3/2014My fiancée and I came here for an early dinner and the entire meal from start to finish was fantastic!! We were greeted warmly by the front desk with smiles and promptly sat. Our sever (Sherwin) was kind,welcoming,and very knowledgeable about the menu.The food was every bit as fantastic as the service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union league a New Haven classicMusicprofDined on 7/2/2014Very enjoyable lunch. Food and service excellent.Special Features:
- Can't wait to be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014Everything exceeded my already high expectations, the food was unbelievable and the service was extremely well trained and knowledgable. This is another level of dining and I beg everyone else to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RozrezDined on 6/30/2014We were set at a lovely table by the window, but a loud person made the location intolerable. Upon request we were quickly moved and went on to have a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014Fantastic 95 th birthday dinner. Great service, great food and ambienceSpecial Features: