Union League Cafe
1032 Chapel Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Union League Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://unionleaguecafe.com/
- Phone: (203) 562-4299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jean Pierre Vuillermet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether planning a simple luncheon or an elaborate dinner, we look forward to taking personal care of every detail of your entertaining needs. Together these timeless entertaining spaces offer you and your guests a relaxed but elegant ambiance complimented by exquisite service & the refined cuisine.
- Private Party Contact: Christina FitzGerald 2037722053
- Cross Street: College Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The parking lot may be entered from crown street. Additional parking may be found at the Schubert Theatre garage at the corner of college and crown streets, or in an additional parking garage found at the corner of crown and high street. These parking spaces are less than a block away from Union League Cafe and all three are within walking distance of the restaurant.
A word from Union League Cafe
Reminiscent of a Paris brasserie it is where old world charm meets the new. Warm and welcoming to New Haven's cafe society, it is located across from Yale University old campus. The restaurant offers menu and ambiance in a casual elegant style. Always using the best ingredients of the moment, Union League Café's food combines French classical traditions with a more contemporary approach to flavors, textures and native ingredients. Local and organic fish, meats, cheeses, produce and rare specialty products from around the world help our chefs create our award-winning cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Union League Cafe - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
Union League Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (152)fit for foodies (120)notable wine list (101)romantic (100)neighborhood gem (54)great for lunch (51)good for groups (43)hot spot (12)scenic view (9)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- An oasis of calm and dignitydeep6oystersVIPDined on 11/11/2014Soothing and delicious as ever, and blessedly MUSIC- and KID-free!Special Features:
- One of the finest in ConnecticutBondmanDined on 11/10/2014I think the Uniion League Cafe serves what arguably, in my opinion, is some of the best food in the state. Definitely in New Haven. The menu is always augmented with seasonal specials, which are delicious. The fish and salads give a terrific healthy alternative. I can's wait to return!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekLadybug64Dined on 11/7/2014Had a great time with two friends for restaurant week and the food was good. Presentation was good and the service was outstanding. Go and enjoy yourself.Special Features:
- WowBracelerDined on 11/6/2014Union League Cafe was amazing. Between the outstanding service, incredible wine list, and phenomenal food I would definitely recommend ULC to anyone. A great spot in downtown New Haven as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union LeagueOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/6/2014The Union League Cafe is consistently top notch. I have been a patron for years for business lunches, group gatherings, and Romantic dinners. Food quality is outstanding, portions are just right, and the service and atmosphere are incomparable. Highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Union Leagur CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014The food was very good. The noise level was very high and I could not hear my wife speaking at times. One pet peeve is that they served the main course, Beef Bourguinon, in a deep dish, almost a soup dish and it was very awkward to cut the meat and reach the food with a fork. Why couldn't they just serve it on a nice flat plate as they did with my wife's entree. Presentatio n got in the way of comfortable eating, very annoying....but the food was very good once I was able to access it.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014Wonderful food. A bit rushed for this place due to restaurant week.Special Features:
- Always SpecialMikeLikesDined on 11/5/2014Any time you are looking for a special dining experience, Union League Cafe comes through. Can be a special occasion but shouldn't be limited to that parameter. It may be an old friend, a client to be thanked, your deserving spouse--whenever it's time to reward yourself and those you care about, this is the place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014We went for the restaurant week and did the diner+wine pairing. It was not worthy for the price we pay and the small amount of wine that we got. It would be better to get a bottle of wine instead. Also, the meet was really overcook. However, I'm sure that the regular menu it will be betterSpecial Features:
- food is oktigerprinceDined on 11/4/2014came here during restaurant week. Had the beef "bourguignon" - a little too dry and chewy for my taste.Special Features:
- Bad Experience for Restaurant WeekMediocritasDined on 11/4/2014My girlfriend and I went for dinner during restaurant week because the reviews were good online. We're not sure if restaurant week food is worse than their usual fare, but it would seem so based on the online reviews, and we definitely felt the quality was below the reputation of the restaurant. I ordered the vegetable cassoulet as a main, and was surprised to find that it was mostly very undercooked beans and hard carrots. My girlfriend received stale couscous and swordfish that both of us thought was chicken by taste, and was doused in a strange southwest-style pepper concoction. We definitely enjoyed the service, however, and felt that our desserts were very good. Still, we left hungry and won't be coming back.
- Birthday lunchFoodieDined on 11/3/2014I took my friend here for a birthday lunch and it happened to be restaurant week in New haven - I had the most delicious swordfish dinner - very moist - had a nicoise topping. We enjoyed the lunch very much -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014And I don't use that word very often! For appetizers, we had the lobster and the duck, both work cooked perfectly and served at the appropriate temperature. For entrees we had the lobster and the lamb, again cooked and served perfectly, with a the perfect assortment of additional flavors. Worth every penny!Special Features:
- Predictably GoodgterwDined on 11/1/2014The duck confit appetizer was one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. The HOMARD AU VIN JAUNE - Nova Scotia lobster, buttered Savoy cabbage, sauteed chanterelles, butternut squash fondant, Jura wine sauce was also very very good. The service was perfect.Special Features:
- Exquisite!ExquisiteDined on 10/31/2014This place is first class in every aspect, atmosphere, service, food quality! Also located in a very scenic part of New Haven! We will definitely be going back. Our waiter even shared the history of the home converted to a resturant!Special Features:
- A Special TreatPorkpieDined on 10/30/2014The food and service was 5 star. Our table near the fireplace was terrific! Our waiter was pleasant and efficient. Food was excellent and beautifully presented. The noise level is a negative. We had to raise our voices to converse over the din. I have been there for lunch and found it more easy to converse. My lobster was divine as was the lamb and beef filet of my fellow diners! The price for the 2 inch square of cheese was a bit excessive. I would not recommend ordering it. We shared dessert and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, Dimly Lit, and DecadentAprilInAustinDined on 10/25/2014We had a great time here. Food was all outstanding, service (Julia and Tisha) was efficient, friendly, and cheerful, and the drink menu was inventive. Not only were the dishes gorgeously presented and delicious, the flavors melded beautifully together. There was a blazing fire in the grate that chased away the chill of the evening. Would definitely return, as there were several things on the menu that looked delicious and unique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014We love this restaurant, always..!! The food, ambiance, and service are amazing....place was packed, which is always exciting!
- Special SpotTomBDined on 10/24/2014We we in New Haven for Quinnipiac's family weekend. It was very easy to make our reservation on Open Table. The menu had something for everyone, even my persnickety daughter. The food was all spot on and only was surpassed by the service. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifcent!SimplythebestDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I love Union League because we are never disappointed in any aspect of our experience there. Although we were there for lunch, it was delightful, romantic and elegant. The food was mouthwatering and the service impeccable. Thank you Union League for always being the best we could ask for.Special Features:
- step back in timeMiniDriverDined on 10/24/2014This is the only restaurant I've ever been to that brought me a fish fork and fish knife for my swordfish entree. The service is impeccable and the ambiance wonderful. You feel that you're stepping back in time a hundred years or so. But considering the price, I found the food just so-so. I ordered the lunch specials. The wild mushroom soup was bland. The swordfish (well prepared) was served over a vegetable medley called "nicoise" that was overly salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive Service & Fabulous FoodSeajayFSDined on 10/24/2014A great restaurant for those with refined tastes looking for fine dining in the New Haven area. Service is always attentive, but never intrusive. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great for any datefoodiefanDined on 10/23/2014We have dined at Union League for two very different occasions. One a romantic wedding anniversary dinner for two, the other, a larger family dinner for a thirtieth birthday. Both times we had the same excellent waiter who proved himself adept at serving both a couple, sensitively and invisibly, and a group, paying attention to everyone's needs, always with a great sense of humour. The food and wine have always been excellent and the atmosphere is great. I'm sure we will go back frequently during our time here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SpotAR1203Dined on 10/22/2014Staff at the restaurant was courteous and friendly from the moment we walked in the door. Was well lit for a pleasurable dining experience. Wait staff was responsive and made the experience fun. And every single bite of food that crossed the threshold of our mouths from the complimentary cheese puffs before the meal starts to the souffle was like a heavenly song on our tongues for the evening.Special Features:
- Lunch with a friendbertieDined on 10/22/2014The service, staff and food are always beyond compare. It is our favorite spot to celebrate our birthday luncheons. The luncheon steak was superb as was the pistachio creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTIONLovetodoneoutDined on 10/20/2014My fiancée and I went to ULC for a quiet dinner. We were greeted warmly by the front desk and promptly seated at a quaint table. The service was prompt and friendly, extremely attentive without being intrusive. Our server Sherwin was very knowledgable and professional. The food was exceptional from start to finish. I recommend that you go... NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbwineismyfoodgroupDined on 10/17/2014ive dined at the union league for the past 18 years and it never disappoints! The service the food and the ambiance are truly wonderful. It's my home away from home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it thoughtheChucksterDined on 10/17/2014Certainly not a low cost meal, but the food is just the best. Same for the service. This is a special occasion place for us as we seldom manage to escape for less that $130-140 per person including tip.Special Features:
- lovely placeupperwestsiderDined on 10/17/2014We had a fantastic meal here, and if we lived in New Haven I'm sure would dine here all the time. As it is, we're hoping our son chooses to go to Yale, so that we can enjoy many more meals here.Special Features:
- Superb!SuperSpecialVIPDined on 10/17/2014I took my niece out to celebrate her 21st birthday on a crisp autumn Friday. Friendly faces of the host and waitstaff greeted me in the restaurant's spectacular dining room. Our waiter Christopher was generous with his knowledge and displayed caring and kindness throughout the meal. My niece had the chicken club that she said tasted like "magic." The artichoke casserole with delectable gnocchi was extraordinary. I had a Belgian beer, Ethiopian coffee and we shared the petit fours so we can sample the most flavors that these amazing chefs created. My niece and I have pledged to meet at the Union League Cafe every semester until graduation. That's three more visits. Lucky us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrateyale201593Dined on 10/16/2014Came here for a friend's bday dinner. Ingredients are fresh and that comes out in the flavor of the food and how the ingredients speak for themselves put together w/ solid execution. Good but not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Redemption PlusWestonDined on 10/15/2014Some months ago I was surprised to have a disappointing experience at the UL. I wrote a candid review. On October 15th. my wife and I returned, for lunch, at least in part because I felt that the recent incident was just an outlier, an ineffable "bad day:. I am very glad we did return. The only issue this ti,e was the food. The service and ambiance has never failed. On Wednesday (as on prior visits but one), the food was, sim[;y [ut, excellent. Appetizers: Peekaboo Crab Salad, confit de canard. Mains: sea bass (which I had the last time), steak grille. Deserts: two chocolate creations. Not "good". Excellent. The French Fries and green beans were truly remarkable. Very pleased we "returned"; hope now to once again make it a habit.Special Features:
- Ah, lunchClayDined on 10/15/2014Life is short...so sadly, is the time we have for lunch. That said, lunch should be an great experience, as it always is at the Union League. The food is always good and the service attentive without being intrusive. This most recent time, I had lunch with a person recently arrived in New Haven. I had arrived wearing a Gandhi cap, which when folded, ressembles a napkin. I placed it on the table. I enjoyed myself so thoroughly that I left my cap on the table. I returned a few hours later, but no one had remarked the cap after our departure. However, a waiter took it upon himself to go through all of the table linen from lunch and returned with the cap. That is service.Special Features:
- NotimpressedDined on 10/11/2014Food was excellent from appetizer to dessert. Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014I wish Union League's website mentioned it was a limited Prix Fixe menu for Parents Weekend the night I dined there. I was disappointed to discover it wasn't a full menu. The lamb I ordered was very tough, I sent it back and had Striped bass which was very good. Service and desserts were the best parts of the evening.Special Features:
- Saturday pre-show lunchGeneDined on 10/11/2014Room was interesting and comfortable. Wine and beer list above average. Dishes prepared with care. A bit expensive, but makes any day special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Haven EstablishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014A delightful place, with a fabulous wine list and good seasonal dishes. The foie gras appetizer was light and tasty, and the cheese menu was a delight - we had some great selections! Good ambiance and clearly very popular (it was quiet chatty in the dining room!). Our scallop appetizer was overcooked, but the cod and lobster were well done, and the desserts - a ricotta mousse and the profiteroles - were highlights. Staff were friendly, stylish and accommodating.Special Features:
- Excellent in every detailMMVFDined on 10/10/2014We had an amazing dinner from start to finish. We had 5 people and everyone thought their choice of entree was superb. Every detail of the service and food - the cheese, wine, appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts- was excellent. Pricey but you get what you pay for and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodRANILUVFRENCHFOODDined on 10/9/2014Everything was very good. Presentation and service excellent.Special Features:
- Phenomenal all aroundjustaguyDined on 10/9/2014Always a great experience with superb food, wonderful service and a sophisticated ambiance. Go as often as you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.